Project Restart

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Project Restart

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 07, 2020 10:40 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:59 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:03 pm
Also: Where are all these players? I would have though plenty of them would have returned home to be with family in these times and now are not able to return. And the rules about when they might be able to return are going to be quite widely different between countries.
I suppose it poses the question “ why were they able to return home to another country anyway”? Surely, going back to another country offered a risk at the time. I would have thought wives and kids would be in the UK anyway when the lockdown started.
Do we have evidence of any players who’ve returned to their homelands away from the UK. I’ll be amazed if any have, unless there are any exceptional circumstances I expect all to have remained in close contact with their club and “stayed at home”.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:28 am

I’m at a point where I just don’t care if the season resumes. However, you can’t just select the winners and losers...that isn’t fair. Liverpool certainly deserve the title and Norwich deserve to be relegated, but the season is incomplete. So, figure this out soon people ffs! We could at least have the Covid Cup for players willing to play.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 08, 2020 8:58 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:40 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:59 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:03 pm
Also: Where are all these players? I would have though plenty of them would have returned home to be with family in these times and now are not able to return. And the rules about when they might be able to return are going to be quite widely different between countries.
I suppose it poses the question “ why were they able to return home to another country anyway”? Surely, going back to another country offered a risk at the time. I would have thought wives and kids would be in the UK anyway when the lockdown started.
Do we have evidence of any players who’ve returned to their homelands away from the UK. I’ll be amazed if any have, unless there are any exceptional circumstances I expect all to have remained in close contact with their club and “stayed at home”.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foot ... untry.html

Looks like Willian and Fernandinho are players who left the country. Maybe there were reasons, but it kind of flies in the face of lockdown and travel restrictions. But I’m sure there are plenty of other players who are available to play.

I can’t see it happening, though, unless in the next month the virus spread drops dramatically. But even then, the fear of it re-emerging is still there.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 08, 2020 1:08 pm

I think you’ll find the Premier League are close to agreeing a restart with 200 fixtures arranged on neutral grounds behind locked doors all televised. A formal decision is likely as soon as Monday next week.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat May 09, 2020 9:06 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:08 pm
I think you’ll find the Premier League are close to agreeing a restart with 200 fixtures arranged on neutral grounds behind locked doors all televised. A formal decision is likely as soon as Monday next week.
Hi Charnwood, I think you’re right. Personally I don’t think it’s the right thing to do though and raises all sorts of other questions.

I know down where i live in Brighton, fans think it’s unfair because Brighton were due a load of home games against top sides and might now go down because they’ve got to play those games at neutral grounds.

And if the prem is completed then they’ll be relegations and therefore promotions - which leads onto the question of the championship and so on into league 1 and beyond.

I’m sure there’s a bunch of other stuff too. My opinion remains that all UK football should be abandoned this season because of extraordinary circumstances with promotions and relegations (without playoffs) decided on current league positions. But frankly my opinion is worth diddly squat!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 09, 2020 10:04 am

Whatever the decision is I think we’re due to find out very soon. At least from a Town perspective it matters not other than final league position prize money which can’t be much more than FA in League One.

I do see a shake up coming soon for the EFL certainly below Championship level and the prospect of Regional Leagues maybe simply split North and South or possibly North, Midlands and South with the winners of each promoted to The Championship. This would have significant travel and hotel accommodation savings and make it easier for fans which could boost attendances and create more local derbies. The biggest problem would come when the relegated teams are not evenly spread but I’m sure that could be overcome.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat May 09, 2020 11:24 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:04 am
Whatever the decision is I think we’re due to find out very soon. At least from a Town perspective it matters not other than final league position prize money which can’t be much more than FA in League One.

I do see a shake up coming soon for the EFL certainly below Championship level and the prospect of Regional Leagues maybe simply split North and South or possibly North, Midlands and South with the winners of each promoted to The Championship. This would have significant travel and hotel accommodation savings and make it easier for fans which could boost attendances and create more local derbies. The biggest problem would come when the relegated teams are not evenly spread but I’m sure that could be overcome.
Yeah agree with that and tbh wouldn’t mind it while town are at sub-championship level. Who really enjoys trawling up to Fleetwood, Doncaster, Rochdale, Blackpool etc? Massive respect to those that do tho

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 09, 2020 11:58 pm

It would be interesting to learn Bluemike’s views when he’s done with Covid 19 workloads. I’m sure footie club owners and players would appreciate not trecking from one end of the country to the other to play in shitty grounds in front of crowds of less than 5000 in the middle of winter. It must be soul destroying especially if you lose.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun May 10, 2020 8:20 am

Still think we should decide now to resume this season in March 2021 and create some other mini tournaments between now and then in case circumstances allow. Maybe even awarding bonus points to league points totals that will be standing still for a year.

My thinking is that we are quite likely to have another surge in infections in the Autumn/Winter and quite conceivably another lockdown. That would mean next season fooked up as well. That would be too big a risk to take in my view. But by next Spring there is likely to have been enough vaccination that the risks subside considerably.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:32 am

Forget Autumn / Winter....... There will be another surge when THIS lockdown is lifted. No doubt at all. The f**king idiots who can’t wait to get back to a pub. Included in that are a majority of my own family. f**king morons.

It’s quite amusing that when a crisis is happening, the real proper arseholes are revealed.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun May 10, 2020 8:44 am

Agree with both of the 2 above comments. Next season can't start on time with spectators so why try?

And the morons Marko refers to are aided and abetted by my pet hate....the newspapers. Look at last Wednesday's tabloid headlines and they were all screaming about the great escape from lock down.

Three good things to come out of lockdown: No Eurovision song contest. No Love Island. And the newspapers are struggling.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:11 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:32 am
Forget Autumn / Winter....... There will be another surge when THIS lockdown is lifted. No doubt at all. The f**king idiots who can’t wait to get back to a pub. Included in that are a majority of my own family. f**king morons.

It’s quite amusing that when a crisis is happening, the real proper arseholes are revealed.
Can’t say I blame the morons for wanting a bit of normalcy back in their lives. Of course I understand the risks involved. It’s just getting old.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:29 pm

Think everyone wants things to be normal again. Not just the stupid c**ts.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 10, 2020 4:58 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:11 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:32 am

Can’t say I blame the morons for wanting a bit of normalcy back in their lives. Of course I understand the risks involved. It’s just getting old.
I’ve got to say I’m not that damning of folk who want back to normal ASAP. There’s idiots at one end of the scale doing stupid stuff, but there’s also people going way over-board about social-distancing and panicking. I’d like to think that most people can both be responsible, but also take that extra bit of risk to go back to normality. In many ways, I’m more concerned about this fear becoming ingrained in the population where some get into a frenzy when someone comes within 6 feet of them.

If this goes on too long, I think the general public will say ‘f*ck it’ and start flouting the rules, anyway.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:52 pm

There’s no blame being placed. Like every subject discussed on Earth, there’s a good / bad, a positive / negative. In this discussion there doesn’t need to be that.

Everyone wants normality back. That’s not open to debate really. Everyone knows the economy is f*cked and is being even more damaged with every passing day. Again, not open to debate.

What’s open to debate is who we all side with with regards to coronavirus and what you believe about it. Fortunately for me, I have informed people in my family that I’ve discussed things with. Any of you happen to catch CV19 in the Portsmouth area, no doubt you’ll see my brother in law, head consultant in respiratory. Lengthy discussions with him on the phone. Its rather alarming to say the least.

I agree with 9. After 7 weeks of lockdown..... it is getting old. It’s complete sh*t, but it’s real. To be honest, how normality will actually be achieved , for the projected future, is a real head scratcher.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon May 11, 2020 9:40 pm

So Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland stay at home. Sounds more like the World Cup than covid19

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon May 11, 2020 10:25 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:40 pm
So Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland stay at home. Sounds more like the World Cup than covid19
😂😂😂

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:34 am

I was beginning to think Derick had been overcome with the virus! :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:40 am

Yep Deeko...... it’s the only chance we’ll have in the future ——-> with all you cuntoids dead! :D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue May 12, 2020 4:02 pm

The whole issue is testing the patience now. Having some extra room to maneuver in around area is a bonus i.e. lack of individuals, vehicles on roads et cetera but there's a number of adverse sides to it that are becoming now intolerable.

Tired of all and any tentative bullshit steps about what occurs next. Kind of expecting the whole lockdown issue to be resolved in one fell swoop and normality if that is the operative word to be restored. Caught sight of a number of today's "news" publications and seems some confusion of where to go from here or what to expect for the immediate future.

What was it, allowed out now to meet others and family members / neighbors but a two meter restriction remains in place.. Seems all you need now in this day and age is the words Government, Social Distancing, Lockdown and f**king Restrictions, all other inclusions in day to day vocabulary seems void and redundant. As for "We're in this together", it's reached the point of Ad nausea and we're still only a relatively short time in since guidelines were even introduced. Guess they mean by it there's no escaping the goddamn issue whether you're for it or otherwise.

As for the sports side of things there's too much ambiguity about what to feasibly expect. Each passing day you feel the leagues will resume even if it means going beyond the intital finish date and on into the fall. Almost like there's a rush and neccesity to resolve some sporting achievements and health and commonsense comes a poor second. Maybe just award the relevant teams their titles and relegations and just get be done with it, say again there's so much what if's and indecision banded about out it's f**king with the mentality now.

It's not so much the waiting it's the hype of media and often misguided information, (where) you can't detract facts from fiction. What started out as a welcome devation has become a pain the as*. Not trying to trivialize the seriousness of what's occured, good people have lost lives because of it, but for everything else there's a different side to it. Be a shame when full normality returns - if such a thing ever existed - but now tired of hearing about what direction it's taking and being lead down different paths. Best course f*ck "advisors" and those with heads in their asses they can't even see or think straight. Won't get this time back but hardly (going to be) alone in that regard.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:26 pm

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52630497

I can't see the season restarting, especially if the players aren't on board. Regardless of the outcome, the season will always have an asterisk anyway. The problem is you can't make Liverpool and the other top teams champions without relegating the bottom ones. Brighton, Watford and Norwich have all been critical of the neutral ground plan, so I wonder how they'd feel about that??

I know there are some Liverpool haters out there, but I really feel for the club and fans. They've waited so long to be back on top, and they've been brilliant domestically and in the Champions League. It must be a gut punch for the players and fans...poor buggers!

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed May 13, 2020 8:25 am

Yep, I cant see how they can finish the season sensibly or indeed safely. It needs buy in from everyone involved and that's a hell of a lot of people. Plus , it is really more like a new season anyway...…

Liverpool have been nothing short of exceptional, and totally deserve the title, but as you say... that would mean the bottom 3 being relegated and they wont go without some sort of legal fight, the money is just too big to let go.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed May 13, 2020 9:34 am

nicscreamer wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:25 am
Yep, I cant see how they can finish the season sensibly or indeed safely. It needs buy in from everyone involved and that's a hell of a lot of people. Plus , it is really more like a new season anyway...…

Liverpool have been nothing short of exceptional, and totally deserve the title, but as you say... that would mean the bottom 3 being relegated and they wont go without some sort of legal fight, the money is just too big to let go.
Ditto. I can’t see this season being completed unless everyone is invested. The noises from players seem to be pretty much the same.... that they’re concerned and don’t want to restart until it’s safe.

If there is a restart I can see this descending into farce and eventually being cancelled a few games in.

This probably illustrates how f*cked up the PL is with far too much money flying around. We’ve got incredibly highly-paid players who have amazing lifestyles who now want it to be known they’re just human and want to be protected, yet we’ve got nurses, factory workers, shop personnel and delivery drivers, etc who need to work to keep things going. To Be honest, I can’t blame the players, but I hope the players feel a bit pointless and grounded by all this at the moment.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed May 13, 2020 10:24 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:34 am
nicscreamer wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:25 am

Ditto. I can’t see this season being completed unless everyone is invested. The noises from players seem to be pretty much the same.... that they’re concerned and don’t want to restart until it’s safe.

If there is a restart I can see this descending into farce and eventually being cancelled a few games in.

This probably illustrates how f*cked up the PL is with far too much money flying around. We’ve got incredibly highly-paid players who have amazing lifestyles who now want it to be known they’re just human and want to be protected, yet we’ve got nurses, factory workers, shop personnel and delivery drivers, etc who need to work to keep things going. To Be honest, I can’t blame the players, but I hope the players feel a bit pointless and grounded by all this at the moment.

As I see it the players view will depend very much on where their club sits in the table, as simple as that. Those with something to win or play for will want to get back to work and get the job done, those fearful of relegation will be looking for every excuse to get the season voided. Those sat in the middle would probably prefer to stay on holiday but choose to stay quite so they can blame others for whatever the outcome is. As long as they still get paid most footballers probably don’t give a sh*t and the risk of a super fit under 35 Premier League footballer dying from Covid-19 is next to zero.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed May 13, 2020 10:59 am

Its not really the players I would be concerned about... Its the multitude of backroom staff, refs, first aiders, camera men, cleaners etc that would be needed to even get the games going. They would all need to buy into the idea and agree.

As a side point, isn't it bizarre we are able to discuss premiership football coming back which is awash with money, yet other entertainment workers such as actors, musicians etc... are not having a look in? There are many times more of those people who really really really need the money to get back working again.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:21 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:24 am
As I see it the players view will depend very much on where their club sits in the table, as simple as that.
And hopefully, when all this is over, that ^^^^ dishonest and utter bullshit way that society works is sorted out and becomes fairer. I’m not saying that’s how you think Charnwood or how you’d like things, no not all. I’m saying you’ve hit the nail on how the views within the system works and it all needs to be fairer ACROSS THE BOARD.

Even I was very disappointed with Hibernians view on why Hearts should be relegated. Roles reversed, Hibs would be trying for league reconstruction as well. It’s all bullshit.

Write off 19/20 season is the only way imo. Yes it’s not fair on Liverpool but for the greater good, it needs scrapped. Let’s face it, it’ll probably only be Man Utd Who rib them about not winning it. Everyone else with half a brain cell will know the title was going no where else but Anfield.

martiguesblue

Post by martiguesblue » Wed May 13, 2020 1:27 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:59 am
Its not really the players I would be concerned about... Its the multitude of backroom staff, refs, first aiders, camera men, cleaners etc that would be needed to even get the games going. They would all need to buy into the idea and agree.

As a side point, isn't it bizarre we are able to discuss premiership football coming back which is awash with money, yet other entertainment workers such as actors, musicians etc... are not having a look in? There are many times more of those people who really really really need the money to get back working again.
Is this about the players, or legal obligations by clubs to third parties - my guess the latter, large amounts of the brown stuff are already being gathered here in France to throw at the fan - and we're talking telephone numbers -
That's another hand-out Macron will be looking for.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu May 14, 2020 4:26 pm

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu May 14, 2020 4:47 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:26 pm
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52645339

Surprise, surprise!
Yes.... surprise, surprise... the unexpected hits you between the eyes!

Can you blame them, though? We’d be doing the same. Strangely Southend are against relegation, too.

What about Bolton? If the season was voided.... would they still carry that 12 point deduction?

Bizarre situation all this.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:09 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with Norwich.

Scrapping it all eliminates all arguments........, except Liverpool fans claiming to Man Utd fans that they won the EPL season 19/20. That argument will last forever.

New season.......... Bolton start again with their points deduction. Fair across the board. All the ifs & buts outs the window because everyone will be in the same boat. All in my humble opinion of course.

And, Lambo gets a second chance at -----> NOT making an arse of it again.