Project Restart

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Project Restart

Post by marko69 » Sat May 16, 2020 4:39 pm

Frankfurt filling the stadium with cardboard cutouts apparently. Might help witn the echoey problem. Slightly!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Well based on no form at all and pure guessing, I would not have had Hertha winning @ Hoffenheim. Glad the bets were avoided! Convincing win that for Hertha.

Wasn’t there an Ipswich Town Hertha Berlin supporter who was regular on here many years ago....... uefacup81. Wonder what happened to him.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 16, 2020 4:47 pm

They should pipe some fans chants and abuse out for realistic atmosphere.

“Du bist eine Schande”

“die Schiedsrichter ein Wichser”

“Sie werden am Morgen entlassen”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 16, 2020 7:19 pm

That last one Tang........ were you told this at England away games? And did you believe them?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 16, 2020 11:14 pm

I thought all the Wanker referees were in League 1, that’s what Bluemike told me !

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun May 17, 2020 7:32 am

I read somewhere that there was a suggestion of ending the league 1 season and playing a mini tournament instead of the playoffs with the top 8 or 10 teams taking part, for one promotion place.

The more I think about it the more I think it makes sense. Clearly clubs that don't feel they have a realistic chance of making the playoffs will prefer not to play as they won't want to pay the money for pointless games, and some have already claimed they might go bust. However teams with a chance, which maybe takes us down to Burton in 12th, will want to play. So why not have the mini tournament with all teams down to Burton who want to compete. It can be played at a neutral ground (or two in the same city) with all costs being shared by the teams?

It's not my preferred solution but it makes some sense.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:14 am

Frankfurt 1 Monchengladbach 3

Well, at least the travelling cardboard cutouts went home happy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 17, 2020 12:00 pm

I personally think this 8 team play off scenario is nonsense, Doncaster in 9th place have 2 games in hand on 7th placed Sunderland and are 5 points behind, it can't work, at the very least every team has to have played the same amount of games for it to even be considered fair. Personally I would write off this season and seriously look at next season too.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun May 17, 2020 1:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:00 pm
I personally think this 8 team play off scenario is nonsense, Doncaster in 9th place have 2 games in hand on 7th placed Sunderland and are 5 points behind, it can't work, at the very least every team has to have played the same amount of games for it to even be considered fair. Personally I would write off this season and seriously look at next season too.
I think this as well. also these premier clubs should say adopt a couple of clubs each who are struggling to survive and give them part of Murdock's and Co fortunes to see them through until better days , Premier clubs need these lower league clubs to survive more than they realise.
When Bury Town went under it was a sad day for everyone, and paves a way for a lot more to go the same way.

The Wolves could adopt Sandwell Town and the Bluenoses, :twisted:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun May 17, 2020 2:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:39 pm
Frankfurt filling the stadium with cardboard cutouts apparently. Might help witn the echoey problem. Slightly!
the Albion tried that but they made to much noise, so they decided all fans should ware fancy dress and come as blue plastic chairs so they could blend in with the rest of the poorthorns :lol: :lol: :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 17, 2020 11:24 pm

Whilst I don’t think it’s necessary I could accept the season being brought to an early finish as long as the Governing Bodies find a solution to make sure promotions and relegations take place. There would be no justification whatsoever in depriving Leeds United and WBA ‘s promotion to the Premier League and a minimum of two PL teams should be relegated. Worst case scenario two go up none come down this season, but four clubs get relegated over each of the next two seasons. There must also be promotions from League One and League Two.

I see no reason why the PL can’t be resumed and next seasons start delayed if necessary. Covid-19 is a virus that is extremely dangerous to older people, but to under 35’s the risk are negligible, especially fit professional sportsmen with no underlying conditions. If we’re suggesting professional sport shouldn’t resume until a vaccine has been produced this could mean no football next season either. If that happens professional football as we know it today could well disappear including many financially unstable football clubs like Ipswich Town.

I think we have to find away for life to move on, and we all learn to live with Covid 19 as best we can. There is much we can learn to do to help ourselves and yes we do have to learn to live differently, if we don’t we won’t survive.

When football restarts is a relatively small decision in terms of our future safety, especially for this season when any games played will be behind closed doors. The big decisions are those relating to opening borders, cross border travel, and in particular the use of aeroplanes etc. These are the decisions that we should be really worried about, because if Governments get these wrong then we’re all in trouble and many more lives will be lost. After all it was air travel that got us in this fine mess in the first place.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 18, 2020 1:34 am

So you’re for Project Restart?

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon May 18, 2020 6:59 am

The issue is this.
Sport exists for entertainment purposes. if there are no fans and it's not all televised, there us no point. Financially it's a disaster as it costs money to put on with no income. Many clubs simply can't afford matches in an empty stadium.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 18, 2020 8:29 am

We already know League 2 won’t restart and I don’t think League 1 will either simply for the reasons you state Andy. I’m quite comfortable that’s the right decision as long as a solution is found to the promotion / relegation dilemma which for the integrity of the competition has to happen.

As far as the Premier League and Championship are concerned the rewards are far too great to leave this to chance and these games should be played whenever that might be, although the longer the wait the longer the complications. If the Championship clubs can agree on promotions and relegations without playing another game then so be it, but I can’t see this happening with the Premier League.

I accept professional sport is an entertainment business but only a small part of footballs income comes from fans inside the stadiums on match days. The bulk of clubs income at the higher levels come from TV rights and Sponsors with the former alone owed a circa £340m refund if the outstanding games in the PL aren’t played.

If players lives were at risk if the games were played I’d say NO to any restart, but I don’t think this is the case. Also at this stage I don’t think it’s even necessary to agree a start date, just the principle of finishing the current season before resuming the next with a short gap in between the two.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon May 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Agree with this. Nothing is right or fair but since we can’t end the season as planned then best to just end. I would honour the league places as they are though with third going up instead of playoffs. Again, some will say unfair but they’re always going to whatever is decided.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 18, 2020 2:58 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:23 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Agree with this. Nothing is right or fair but since we can’t end the season as planned then best to just end. I would honour the league places as they are though with third going up instead of playoffs. Again, some will say unfair but they’re always going to whatever is decided.

This may well be the outcome for Leagues 1 & 2, possibly the Championship too if they don’t agree a restart, but with the Government paving the way for the Premier League to restart and clubs today agreeing that players can start full training in small groups, I expect the EPL fo complete their fixtures before the start of next season.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon May 18, 2020 3:25 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:58 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:23 pm
Bluemike wrote:

This may well be the outcome for Leagues 1 & 2, possibly the Championship too if they don’t agree a restart, but with the Government paving the way for the Premier League to restart and clubs today agreeing that players can start full training in small groups, I expect the EPL fo complete their fixtures before the start of next season.
I’m sure you’re right and whoever goes down or narrowly misses out on a European place will moan to high heaven!

I see Scotland has done the right thing (again)

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon May 18, 2020 3:29 pm

Just had a look at the table - you would feel for Bournemouth. But then if you put in some spurious way of completing it you’d feel for anyone who got relegated on the strength of it. Apart from Norwich of course...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 18, 2020 4:34 pm

TBH the SPL was a pretty simple situation to resolve with Celtic 13 points clear at the top and Hearts 4 points clear at the bottom.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 18, 2020 5:51 pm

4 points clear at the bottom with 24 points to play for, complete with a league split @ 33? How was that simple to resolve?
For Celtic yes........ , but nonsense for Hearts. Could potentially cripple them.

The situation was made infinitely worse for Hearts with Dundee United being 15 points clear in the championship. Had that league been tighter then Hearts would've survived.

In my opinion, the season should've been binned. Circumstances outwith society's control ended the season. Every teams potential honours or failings should be scratched. No titles, no relegation and go again. Yes, Dundee United fans will be distraught but for the love of the game they'll get over it. What they going to do, boycott their team? I think not.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 18, 2020 8:02 pm

But hey Marko, the season is almost 80% done, Hearts have only won 4 of their 30 games played all season and they have 8 games still to play. Results so far suggest 1 win in the run in, maybe two at best. In their last 8 games they’ve picked up 8 points, if they repeated that in the run in they’d end the season on 31 points, the team immediately above them already have 27 points and would need just 4 more points for Hearts to be relegated, that looks pretty clear cut to me.

Surely Dundee United deserve their promotion having walked away with the Scottish Championship. If as you put it, they’d get over not being promoted, the same could be said about Hearts getting over relegation, after all with only four wins in 30 games what did they expect.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:20 pm

Historically speaking, the entire season stats go out the window for the last 5 games after the split. Teams see it as a new 5 fixture tournament. Incredibly exciting. Top six, (other than the green glesgae) vying for Euro spots. And bottom six trying to avoid relegation or the play-offs.
There would've been no Celtic Rangers Aberdeen or Hibs for Hearts to play. I reckon they'd have pipped St Mirren and survived.

But....... We'll never know.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 18, 2020 10:46 pm

You’re absolutely right Marko, we’ll never know........

But........ If Hearts had pipped The Buddies I’d have a really pissed off Son in Law and an upset Grandson so I guess I should be happy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 19, 2020 5:25 am

Never mind these no Marks, Forfar have been denied certain promotion here. Gutted.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 19, 2020 2:58 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:46 pm
You’re absolutely right Marko, we’ll never know........

But........ If Hearts had pipped The Buddies I’d have a really pissed off Son in Law and an upset Grandson so I guess I should be happy.
True.......

And this would never have been made, so ——> All good! 👍👍👍

https://www.facebook.com/639318308/post ... 48309/?d=w

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue May 19, 2020 11:01 pm

Just love the Scottish humour on that post Marko 😂

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed May 20, 2020 1:40 pm

Can't recall the league places in the Scots division and been what two three months since shutdown. Guess Celtic leading the way with little to nothing regards plausible challengers. Just a matter of who limps in second and the others making up the numbers. Seems sense to award them a Championship anyhow whether the season resumes tomorrow, next week or twelve years from here on.

I don't got an interest in what occurs in the fathoms of lower league there but if some teams seems done out of a promotion they were entitled to then there's a certain level of sympathy i.e. some users seem to have a spot for them or level of allegiance.

League two issue, no offense but anyone outside their own division will have little interest in what goes on there.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:39 pm

Well you Sir have won the first dunderheid Celtic fan award. Do you not realise that this 9th title “award” is nullifying the 9 in a row and also ANY chance of 10 in a row? WOW! Seriously, wow.

The now defunct previous version of The Sevco Rangers, ------> Glasgow Rangers FC will still hold that record? Like it or lump it, dude.

Cannot believe you’re not totally pissed off like every other Celtic fan(ny) I know.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed May 20, 2020 8:34 pm

saint jude wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:40 pm

League two issue, no offense but anyone outside their own division will have little interest in what goes on there.
if any division is not completed it raises issues. If league 2 is voided for the season, no one is promoted. So no one gets relegated from league 1. So there is little point in completing league 1 except for the promotion issue. But you either do a ppg calculation or play it out. Or contrive some other illogical conclusion.

The issue is every club outside the prem would lose out financially by playing behind closed doors, but fhe prem clubs lose out if they don't play. So there is a huge conflict of interest between the premier league and everyone else.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 20, 2020 9:06 pm

To be honest I'm getting totally sick to death of it, anyone with any sense can see it should be voided, it's a bloody game and yet so many other aspects of everyday life need sorting out and yet football again is at the forefront of discussion, in some ways I couldn't give a sh*t if the game as a whole goes bust, the bloody greed of everyone involved in it at the highest level needed to be stopped, maybe this is the way it finally happens.