Keane, Rowe, Roberts --- Skuse

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

nicscreamer

Keane, Rowe, Roberts --- Skuse

Post by nicscreamer » Tue May 19, 2020 8:41 am

So, Keane , Rowe and Roberts gone... anyone surprised or pissed off?

Skuse and Edwards stay - Im sure there will be a couple who don't appreciate Skuse getting a new deal, but I think its probably a good idea overall. He is experienced and given that we will almost certainly use the youngsters more next season I think his old head will be needed off the field as much as on it.

Edwards gives us options, and despite not being a world beater hes done enough to be kept on. As for the 3 departing... cant say I am surprised or bothered. Keane was certainly a waste of space

Tangfastic

Re: Keane, Rowe, Roberts --- Skuse

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 19, 2020 9:12 am

Out of that lot.... I’d want Edwards to stay. That’s surprised me as hes been a bit of a disappointment this/last season. But he put in some decent performances as a makeshift wing back in the latter games. Think he could still be a useful player.

Roberts is a no-brainer to leave. Time for Rowe to leave.... not quite good enough.

Keane? There’s a talented footballer there, but he ain’t no target man and his body is waiting to fail.

As for Skuse. Gut feeling is of disappointment. Was hoping for some kind of change or a new beginning. I’m not blaming him or Chambers, but those two have been our most senior players during one of the worst periods as a club. And yet it feels like “can we have some more of that”. Doubtless, a great bloke and popular, but would have preferred to give him a genuine thanks and good luck as he moved on.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue May 19, 2020 9:42 am

Agree with what Tang's said, not hugely upset with them going or Skuse staying, but it's a hint at the ambition and the way things are going. Even if players may be useful, we have to offload for financial reasons...

And Skuse, well he couldn't run when he was 26, he's now 34 and when I look at failing sports teams in the past it's because they've held on too long to a formula that worked in the past, well this formula barely worked in the past yet we're still grasping it tight and failing to evolve... the longer it goes on, the further we'll be left behind.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue May 19, 2020 9:50 am

I don't see Skuse being a regular player. In fact he was only used sporadically since December, I think he is being kept as cover, as the sub to tighten things up late game, and more importantly as a player to move on to a coaching role for the younger players. I don't think anyone can say he hasn't been a good role model as a professional player.... or would you? And I would assume his new deal is on a much reduced salary.

Sadly I cant see the club spending ANY money on new players for the foreseeable future. The club will have lost vast sums of money over the past few months and its just going to have to be freebies, youth and reduced salary existing players for the next couple of years. The good thing is that there are bound to be lots of players out there desperate for a club to play for.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 19, 2020 10:11 am

nicscreamer wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:50 am
I don't see Skuse being a regular player. In fact he was only used sporadically since December, I think he is being kept as cover, as the sub to tighten things up late game, and more importantly as a player to move on to a coaching role for the younger players. I don't think anyone can say he hasn't been a good role model as a professional player.... or would you? And I would assume his new deal is on a much reduced salary.

Sadly I cant see the club spending ANY money on new players for the foreseeable future. The club will have lost vast sums of money over the past few months and its just going to have to be freebies, youth and reduced salary existing players for the next couple of years. The good thing is that there are bound to be lots of players out there desperate for a club to play for.
I definitely think Skuse is a great pro, but should that be the major factor? Surely there are other good pros out there who are past their best and have to drop down to League One. And maybe they could provide a new voice in the dressing room or be more inspirational. I didn’t see much fight or inspiration from our players in the last few months of the season. Something wasn’t right. I just would like to see something fresh. And Skuse has been here a long time - what new things can he add if he wants to coach? Wouldn’t it be better if he went away to a different club and learnt new things as a coach?
But, yes, I’m sure the finances are a factor and where we’ll keep Skuse we’ll probably say goodbye to Downes. And I wouldn’t rule out a Chambo/Skuse management team after Lambert departs - I kind of get the feeling those two are being groomed for this.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue May 19, 2020 12:19 pm

I always shudder when I hear the word "groomed" :shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 19, 2020 12:20 pm

They are the Two I would have kept on too, Skuse is clearly being groomed for the coaching role which is fine by me while Edwards improved as the season petered out and as has been said he offers options in certain areas. We are going into a new dawn where football is concerned and spending ridiculous amounts of money will be a thing of the past for all clubs, certainly at our level, so keeping players of this ilk isnt surprising to me. The kids are going to be massive for us in the future so seeing the likes of Dobra, Lankester, Dozzell etc having their deals extended is essential.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri May 22, 2020 8:27 am

Some good news - Dobra has signed a contract.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-ne ... -should-be

It’s been mentioned that the kids are going to be the future and that makes sense as we’re unlikely to be able to bring in quality with money. And Lambert has mentioned that also, but the cynic in me thinks he knows exactly what to say to put a spin on things.
We’ve certainly got some decent youngsters. My worry is that they won’t be physically strong enough for League One. Downes and Woolfy have been the rare breakthrough youngsters, but apart from their ability , they can also handle the physical side at this level. Can’t see Downes being here next season ( whenever that is), but if we can keep Woolfy for one more season that would be a coup.
Dobra May be small, but I think Dobra has that bit of mongrel in him to deal with the physicality, so I’m really pleased he’s signed. I think he’s got more in him than Dozzell, who’s powder-puff.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri May 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Also looks like Jackson could go, there are evidently Championship clubs sniffing around, I don't mind us having a bloody good clear out, as we cant afford and never have been able to keep loads of Loan players, the only loan player I have truly liked is Luke Garbutt, little bit of class on free kicks.

So long as we don't select Chambers in defence, as I said before the beginning of this campaign in league 1, he would struggle against quicker younger forwards, which has been proved time and time again, Cole Scuse just in front of the back four I can tolerate just, as he very rarely goes pass the halfway line, we do have one of the strongest midfields in this league talent galore, Bishop, Downes,

And with every player that was injured before the break is now fit, like Lankester and Norwood, KVY, etc, and with our youth under 21 and 19's raring to get selected we should be able to stamp our authority in this poor league.

We can do without Keane, Rowe, Sears, Nsiala, Donacien, Chambers, and anyone else who has not performed in this league.
This is an ideal time for a complete clear out and start again with our Youth.

I've been asked to control my Language a bit like a good boy :roll: whilst there's no footie its easy, but once we kick off again its: I'M BACK

Keep safe everyone and lets pray we get this Covid 19 cleared up and gone from our shores.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:00 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:49 pm
We can do without Keane, Rowe, Sears, Nsiala, Donacien, Chambers, and anyone else who has not performed in this league.
This is an ideal time for a complete clear out and start again with our Youth.
Completely agree Ash. We can blame Lambert as much as we want, but in reality a lot of players have simply not performed. Time for Chambers and Skuse to start a back seat role. I don't mind either being bench players, they could add something against certain opposition...they shouldn't be starting. We should plug the holes with our youngsters and go from there. The youngsters will only improve, while the elders will only continue their demise.