So how are we all feeling folks?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: So how are we all feeling folks?

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:19 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:59 pm
number 9 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:33 pm
Hey seriously has anyone heard from Bluemike? I really am worried about him and I’ve never met him. I can only imagine what he must be going through: he’s a healthcare worker right? It would definitely uplift me if he posted a few comments...just so I’d know he’s ok.
Hi mate,
Thanks for your concern, I am ok atm as far as I'm aware, life is just nothing but work atm, things are tough and not very pleasant tbh but needs must I guess, it's all a bit surreal right now, pretty close to the front line is tense every minute of every day, waking up every day and feeling well is a massive bonus. You take care of yourself too, that goes for everyone on here.
Good to hear from you, Mike. I’ve said the same to my sister ——-> you guys are like the military in war time and you’re all greatly appreciated. 👏👏👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:29 am

Hope everyone is still doing okay. Take care!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:19 pm

First person that i know of has fallen victim. Newsagent guy in Edinburgh, responsible for my mum and dad meeting each other way back in 1961, 90 years old..... corona ——-> dead.

RIP John Laing.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 02, 2020 3:03 pm

RIP Mr Laing.

Honestly not taking this lightly, but it’s really weird that the death of a 90 year old should cause any great surprise to anyone. It’s the link to corona that adds that extra bit of interest. We’d normally just say he had a good innings.
I bet Mr Laing didn’t expect to get an honorary mention in an ITFC website.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:30 pm

Yep true, great innings. But my main point was that I do not know anyone, apart from John who has died from it. I keep reading stories of death but just to say that he’s the first of the people I know.
My wife has a pal and every person she ever knew has died? Surely she’s full of sh*t? (Cue Airplane quote)

And I actually don’t know anyone else who’s even got it, ....... and my extended family is flippin massive, with many who work in the NHS.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 02, 2020 8:20 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:30 pm
Yep true, great innings. But my main point was that I do not know anyone, apart from John who has died from it. I keep reading stories of death but just to say that he’s the first of the people I know.
My wife has a pal and every person she ever knew has died? Surely she’s full of sh*t? (Cue Airplane quote)

And I actually don’t know anyone else who’s even got it, ....... and my extended family is flippin massive, with many who work in the NHS.
I know exactly. I don’t know anyone who’s died from it. That’s not saying that this is some big myth..... we all know how big this thing is.. But there’s got to be a middle ground where decisions are made between this being nothing and the worse thing that’s ever occurred. And I have to say ( not neccasarily on this forum) people getting of on the drama of it all.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun May 03, 2020 7:57 am

Well around 28 people in every 60,000 have died so far. Average person has a friendship circle of 100-200 people. So it's very unlikely that you would know someone who has died from COVID-19 (so far).

However there are around 200,000 official cases in UK so far. Given that for the majority of us the virus is asymptomatic or minor, there is strong evidence that the real infection rate is around 10 times higher.

That means that in a group of around 60 people, around 2 are likely to have had it or currently be infected.

Based on that I would be surprised if you didn't know some people who have had it, but it is very unlikely that they would know it and there is a non-0 chance that you may have had it yourself or in fact be currently infectious ;-)

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun May 03, 2020 8:14 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:20 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:30 pm

I know exactly. I don’t know anyone who’s died from it. That’s not saying that this is some big myth..... we all know how big this thing is.. But there’s got to be a middle ground where decisions are made between this being nothing and the worse thing that’s ever occurred. And I have to say ( not neccasarily on this forum) people getting of on the drama of it all.
I think there's some truth in that. I looked for stats and found that there were 182000 cases in the UK which is a very small number really. However no one knows how many others have got it or had it without reporting. If that figure was accurate, the 28000 recorded deaths would mean a death rate of 16% which is very high.

Did I see that about 1 in 3 of those admitted to hospital with it die?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun May 03, 2020 11:52 am

At the moment here in the Algarve we have been lucky 331 cases and 13 deaths many more in the north of Portugal, but the government over here got it right they did things early and Portuguese people seem to do as they are told.
We now have to have a mask on when entering shops and more smaller shops open from tomorrow and golf courses with restrictions then in two weeks time restaurants if all goes well, so I've been lucky so far apart from the fact that my lady is still in the UK and can't get back, it's nine weeks now 😁

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed May 06, 2020 9:44 pm

Two of my best friends have lost their mums to Covid-19, both were in their early 90’s, both had other issues and both were in the same care home in Leicestershire. In both cases it was only a matter of time with or without Coronavirus. I know of one person from my school in Ipswich, Gary Coote if anyone knows him, he was 65. I also have a golf colleague who was a founder member of a golf group I play with in Spain who has died recently in a care home in Edinburgh, he was also mid 80’s with other issues, but a great bloke. You may have heard of him Marko he was pretty well known in Edinburgh especially in golfing and rugby circles, his name was Hugh MacKenzie. He was a former headmaster of Craigroyston School in Edinburgh and a book was published about his time there, Gorgon Strachen was one of his pupils who helped him transform the school.
Here in Spain to the best of my knowledge we have only one death in our small town, again a lady in her later years age 85. In our larger Marina Alta region with a population of 175,000 we have at the last count circa 200 cases and 18 deaths, mostly older folk with underlying conditions.
Anyway, moving forward positively I was able to take my first walk away from our house on Sunday for the first time in 7 weeks, albeit limited to Ihr and no more than 1km from home. Hopefully next week we will be able to go further as long as we don’t leave our Province, also under strict guidelines I expect to be playing golf soon, and able to go to bars and restaurants with outside tables limited to 30% of their normal capacity starting next weekend.

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri May 08, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi guys, hope everyone is ok?. Just a passing visit for now as very busy at Work :(. The last few weeks working Retail has really taken it out of me.

I lost a dear Friend to this nasty Virus just over a month ago. To say it was a shock is an understatement. I saw her 3 Weeks before she passed and she was fine :(.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 08, 2020 8:27 pm

Sorry for the loss of your friend Lucy, that must have been a real shock. I hope you’ve been tested yourself as this virus has a lengthy incubation period up to 14 days, and sometimes even longer before symptoms appear. You really should get checked.

I assume if you’re busy in retail you must be in the supermarket business or maybe a pharmacy unless the UK is less restrictive than here in Spain.

Anyway Lucy, I hope you’re well and my sincere condolences on the loss of your friend.

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri May 08, 2020 9:08 pm

I was in contact with her through Facetime and Emails/Text messages so no threat to me. I work for B+M so it's not all bad. Just long hours and the select few Customers who don't understand. They seem to think it's ok to Verbally abuse us.

I think what Is getting me down the most is not seeing my Mum. She lives in a Care home which has been closed to Visitors since Mid March.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 08, 2020 10:16 pm

B+M’s not a brand I’m familiar with Lucy, but if they give you sh*t give it back to em. Good to know you’re safe and hope you’re mum stays safe too. Take care and hope you get to see your mum soon.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:45 pm

Typical Sun newspaper 🤦‍♂️

The poor laddie is probably crying because his dad stole a third of a chip....... nothing to do with lockdown.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 23, 2020 11:52 pm

He looks like he really needed it !

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:44 am

cancel

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:41 pm

Well another effect of Covid 19 is the economy. I got laid off today after 20 years service. I'm not looking for sympathy, it's just another example of how the virus is affecting people's lives.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed May 27, 2020 7:27 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:41 pm
Well another effect of Covid 19 is the economy. I got laid off today after 20 years service. I'm not looking for sympathy, it's just another example of how the virus is affecting people's lives.
You won't be the first or last but it's still sh*t. I guess there'll be a rise in unemployment and few jobs to apply for,
Where did you work?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:19 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:27 pm
number 9 wrote:
You won't be the first or last but it's still sh*t. I guess there'll be a rise in unemployment and few jobs to apply for,
Where did you work?
Yes you're right Andy, I certainly won't be the first or last. At least I'm still healthy at the moment.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed May 27, 2020 8:39 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sorry to hear that, 9. I know the feeling. All the best, mate.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 27, 2020 8:40 pm

Yes sorry to hear that too bud.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:44 pm

Ah crap! Not good news, 9. Hope you manage to find employment again in the not too distant future.
Hey,.... when the bars open...... chief Cow-bell ringer in a pub band?

This has been one unbelievable year.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed May 27, 2020 10:03 pm

Hey No 9, I’ve been laid off twice in my lifetime, although I had no idea at either time, with hindsight both events were probably two of the best things that happened to me in terms of shaping my future.

I sincerely hope the same happens to you.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu May 28, 2020 6:31 am

number 9 wrote:
I hope you have been at the least Furloughed 9 ? That was why the system was brought in so people don't lose there jobs. 80% pay on Furlough is better than none. Hope this is Tempory thing and you are soon back.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:40 am

Thread title..... so how are we feeling?

Was feeling optimistic....... then saw crowds of maskless people fighting in 10 Downing Street and maskless policemen / women trying to calm it all down.

What’s the fkn point? 🤷‍♂️

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:43 pm

Yeah, the protests around the world make a mockery of the whole thing,

Think you are sharing the frustrations of most of us Marko

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:46 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sorry, missed this post No.9, 20 years at one job is a massive commitment. I think any prospective employers will be impressed by this. I wish you all the best for a speedy return to gainful employment mate.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:52 am

Frosty wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:46 pm
number 9 wrote:
Sorry, missed this post No.9, 20 years at one job is a massive commitment. I think any prospective employers will be impressed by this. I wish you all the best for a speedy return to gainful employment mate.
Cheers Frosty, and everyone else for the comments. One in four Americans have lost their jobs in the last three months. I’m not kidding...and now the protests. Dallas is in an upward trend of corona virus positives, after a significant decline. The last few months have been unprecedented in my life time. It feels like I’m stuck in an Anthony Burgess novel. Viddy Well.