Project Restart

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Project Restart

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 29, 2020 12:08 pm

It won't be the last of it what with Tranmere and Peterborough threatening legal action, it could get very messy.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri May 29, 2020 12:53 pm

So the prem clubs are back in full training. Potentially one player could test positive...and then the rest of the squad has to self isolate for 2 weeks? Or at least part of the squad depending on training methods? I guess they are relatively safe outside but there is potential for some disruption.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 29, 2020 1:25 pm

Forming a wall for a free kick will be hilarious

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 29, 2020 2:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:25 pm
Yes it will be. :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 29, 2020 3:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:25 pm

I hadn’t thought of that, what are they doing in Germany ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:56 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:37 pm
[quote=Bluemike post_id=972426 time=<a href="tel:1590755114">1590755114</a> user_id=7760]
Yes it will be. :lol:
[/quote]

One hand on the crotch, one hand on the mouth & nose! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:46 pm

EFL League 1 is supposed to vote on Tuesday, I think

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 29, 2020 10:17 pm

I thought Leagues 1&2 had already decided to cut the season short and next weeks meeting was simply a rubber stamping exercise to agree promotions and relegations.

Are we now saying this may not happen and the current season could be restarted ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 29, 2020 10:41 pm

That is correct Andy, highly unlikely but a possibility yes.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 29, 2020 10:46 pm

What are people’s thoughts on reorganising a Leagues 1&2 into Regional Leagues eg North & South.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:14 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:46 pm
What are people’s thoughts on reorganising a Leagues 1&2 into Regional Leagues eg North & South.
I think that makes sense, especially in the current environment.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 30, 2020 6:43 am

Charnwood wrote:
I wonder if instead there will be a ban on away supporters, instead. Just thinking about the difficulty of separating supporters if that is required. A club could use the away section for spreading out home supporters. It would cut down on fans travelling long distances to games, travelling together, etc. Easier to police and organise home fans, than with both.

I wouldn’t be in favour of North and South leagues. How would that work out with promotion and relegation to the Championship? Play-offs? It could be that one League is stronger than the other and there will too much advantage/disadvantage in being in one particular league.

I think we need to wait and see the fallout. Clubs could well go under and it could be we have fewer clubs and fewer games anyway.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat May 30, 2020 9:32 am

Good point regarding travel. Coach and train travel would need to be thought through, car travel the only option. Could you have car share. Can’t see football returning to normality until a vaccine is found.

As for north and south leagues, who’s to say there will be enough clubs left for 2 leagues. All of football needs to take a look at its self in particular the premier league. Money needs to filter down to save the EFL funded by wage caps that free up PL prize money.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 30, 2020 11:27 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:43 am
Charnwood wrote:
I wonder if instead there will be a ban on away supporters, instead. Just thinking about the difficulty of separating supporters if that is required. A club could use the away section for spreading out home supporters. It would cut down on fans travelling long distances to games, travelling together, etc. Easier to police and organise home fans, than with both.

I wouldn’t be in favour of North and South leagues. How would that work out with promotion and relegation to the Championship? Play-offs? It could be that one League is stronger than the other and there will too much advantage/disadvantage in being in one particular league.

I think we need to wait and see the fallout. Clubs could well go under and it could be we have fewer clubs and fewer games anyway.

If there’s a will there must be a way Tang. If you treated North and South as if they were in the same League, the winners of each North & South Division would get automatic promotion and the runners up and 3rd of each division would go into the Play Offs with the winner taking the third promotion slot to The Championship.

At the start of the next season the two North & South divisions would be recut based on the Geography of 48 EFL clubs or whatever the number is going forward.

I think it could work and produce significant savings for a large number of clubs in outlying locations across the country.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun May 31, 2020 8:20 am

It used to work in the 1950s. Not sure what happened if 2 southern sides got relegated; I guess there were teams that flipped between the north and south divisions.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 31, 2020 9:16 am

That would mean less chance of going up to the Championship - 3 teams getting promoted out of 48 teams, instead of 24.

Maybe it would benefit some teams, but for Town it would be a disadvantage. Less chance of going up and we’d still have to travel to Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol. We’d have to play smaller clubs - so they’d get the benefit of playing us getting bigger crowds, whilst we would lose out.

I can see the benefits where it would stop a trek from Carlisle to Plymouth or Portsmouth to Sunderland, but there’d still be some long treks.

Quiz question - who is the only club who’ve played in Divisions 1 to 4, the Premier League and both Division Three North and South?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 31, 2020 10:31 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:16 am
That would mean less chance of going up to the Championship - 3 teams getting promoted out of 48 teams, instead of 24.

Maybe it would benefit some teams, but for Town it would be a disadvantage. Less chance of going up and we’d still have to travel to Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol. We’d have to play smaller clubs - so they’d get the benefit of playing us getting bigger crowds, whilst we would lose out.

I can see the benefits where it would stop a trek from Carlisle to Plymouth or Portsmouth to Sunderland, but there’d still be some long treks.

Quiz question - who is the only club who’ve played in Divisions 1 to 4, the Premier League and both Division Three North and South?

Well it has to be a Midlands club that would have flipped between Div 3 North & South to balance the numbers. My guess would be one of say Nottingham Forest, Derby County or Coventry City, probably the later of the three as I can remember them being in The Prem, and Leagues 1, 2 & 3 whereas I can’t remember either Forest or Derby in League 3.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 31, 2020 10:52 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:31 am
tangfastic wrote:

?

Well it has to be a Midlands club that would have flipped between Div 3 North & South to balance the numbers. My guess would be one of say Nottingham Forest, Derby County or Coventry City, probably the later of the three as I can remember them being in The Prem, and Leagues 1, 2 & 3 whereas I can’t remember either Forest or Derby in League 3.
Yeah, Coventry. Out of interest, what was the reason they got rid of the regional Leagues in 1958?

And Midlands clubs would really feel a bit of a counter-weight.... being shuffled between leagues to balance the number of clubs. I can see a potential legal action from these some of these clubs who’d prefer to stay in one particular league.
If the EFL can’t decide whether to finish League 1 or not in 2 1/2 months, I’m not sure they’re cut out to organise regional leagues.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 31, 2020 11:45 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:52 am
Charnwood wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:31 am
tangfastic wrote:

?

Yeah, Coventry. Out of interest, what was the reason they got rid of the regional Leagues in 1958?

And Midlands clubs would really feel a bit of a counter-weight.... being shuffled between leagues to balance the number of clubs. I can see a potential legal action from these some of these clubs who’d prefer to stay in one particular league.
If the EFL can’t decide whether to finish League 1 or not in 2 1/2 months, I’m not sure they’re cut out to organise regional leagues.

I’m not sure there was any particular rationale other than Football Clubs wanting to make the lower levels of the Football League National rather than Regional off the back of greater public interest and significant increases in attendances which made clubs more financially robust. I guess it was almost the reverse of the current situation with so many clubs struggling with their finances.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:45 pm

Does anyone know when/if a fixture and venue list is coming out for the Prem restart on June 17th? I can't find any updates online.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:48 am

Here’s the latest update from yesterday.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.stan ... html%3famp

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:23 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:48 am
Here’s the latest update from yesterday.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.stan ... html%3famp

Nothing much changed other than 5 subs allowed to facilitate the possibility of clubs playing 3 games in 7 days.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:56 am

Anyone thinking there’s a possibility that the League One season will be finished?

Can’t see it. I did read yesterday that there was a strong rumour that we proposed that we only took into account the first 22 games where we played every other team once. We would have finished in third place :). Can’t fault us for the cheek in asking that.... completely taking the p*ss.

It is amazing that we’re now in June and we haven’t got a decision about League One resolved. Guess there’s plenty of chat behind the scenes between clubs in and around top six and relegation places with lawyers involved. I can’t see any real conviction from the EFL to play the rest of the games, but they’re just covering their arses.

Have to say I wouldn’t mind seeing the season completed. Seems a bit of a farce protecting fit, young players when you’ve got thousands protesting in cities shoulder to shoulder. But it’s all about the financial side, rather than health concerns.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:46 am

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:56 am

Have to say I wouldn’t mind seeing the season completed. Seems a bit of a farce protecting fit, young players when you’ve got thousands protesting in cities shoulder to shoulder. But it’s all about the financial side, rather than health concerns.
Money is as always the driving force. The prem sides wanted to play to avoid paying back the Sky money. For the rest it costs money to play.

To my mind, football is supposedly an entertainment industry (although that's been lacking at PR for many years.). Apart from the few team a involved in promotion or relegation issues, seeing out the season is a pointlessand costly exercise, similar to a top band playing a large stadium gig with no audience or cameras.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:18 am

Andym wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:46 am
tangfastic wrote:

Money is as always the driving force. The prem sides wanted to play to avoid paying back the Sky money. For the rest it costs money to play.

To my mind, football is supposedly an entertainment industry (although that's been lacking at PR for many years.). Apart from the few team a involved in promotion or relegation issues, seeing out the season is a pointlessand costly exercise, similar to a top band playing a large stadium gig with no audience or cameras.
I think it will largely be a pointless exercise as there will be too many dead rubber games - but promotion/relegation is still a contentious issue. I guess, they’ll fudge something for the play-off teams. From our point of view, if we did play on and lost points in our first 2-3 games, then we’d almost certainly lose our remote chances of making the top six. But I’d still watch if we played on. I would have thought they’d broadcast the games (iFollow?). Maybe - maybe not ?

Not completely sure about the analogy between live music and football. You can still enjoy studio-recorded music if you don’t have live music and with football it’s unscripted so there’s the exciting uncertainty about how Town will f*ck up a game of football. Although, we know that Skuse will pass sideways. For me, it’s the question of what will be the level of intensity between teams playing behind closed doors.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:23 pm

Why not just play off the remaining games in respective leagues with the teams that actually possess a chance of league championship / promotion / relegation : delete as appropriate. Minimize what's left as a great many teams throughout the divisions have nothing remaining to play for. That way it would be a lot easier and establish things in a much shorter and compact time. Ok it won't come to pass but you got to throw the idea out there.

It's a No to playing games behind closed doors. Either wait for sufficient time where you can fill stadiums or don't go ahead with it all. No crowd is all very well for a one-off but to implement this for a whole range of fixtures over weeks on end, it's not an idea that sits well with everyone. The notion of playing domestic fixtures throughout the normal "close season" remains bizarre but not to quote a phrase these are unprecedented times.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:55 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:18 am
Andym wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:46 am
tangfastic wrote:

I think it will largely be a pointless exercise as there will be too many dead rubber games - but promotion/relegation is still a contentious issue. I guess, they’ll fudge something for the play-off teams. From our point of view, if we did play on and lost points in our first 2-3 games, then we’d almost certainly lose our remote chances of making the top six. But I’d still watch if we played on. I would have thought they’d broadcast the games (iFollow?). Maybe - maybe not ?

Not completely sure about the analogy between live music and football. You can still enjoy studio-recorded music if you don’t have live music and with football it’s unscripted so there’s the exciting uncertainty about how Town will f*ck up a game of football. Although, we know that Skuse will pass sideways. For me, it’s the question of what will be the level of intensity between teams playing behind closed doors.
I don’t know...... Dave Grohl jumping from an amp and breaking a leg was fairly uncertain pre-gig.

I now have an image of Grohl doing that in front of no audience! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:51 pm

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:38 pm

Crystal Palace v Bournemouth. Cannot f**king wait.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:53 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:38 pm
Crystal Palace v Bournemouth. Cannot f**king wait.
The one game with the requirement for viewers to put a mask over their eyes! :lol: