This article says it for me .....

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

This article says it for me .....

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:30 am

Think this article from EADT hits the nail firmly on the head .....

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/mark-heath ... -1-6694245

bluejacko

Re: This article says it for me .....

Post by bluejacko » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:24 pm

Yep spot on!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:41 pm

Haven't read it all, but it's a sentiment I hold. It scared me that the other thread is full of comments saying it's a good thing that the playing field will be more level going forward, I don't think that's a good thing for us! We had relegation form for half a season whilst we had a big advantage financially and squad wise!

I can't put my finger on it, but there is a deep routed lack of confidence within the club, almost a sense of imposter syndrome about the place. I didn't think we'd fall nearly so hard, but after the incredible start I didn't get the sense that the squad was bullet proof, I had a feeling a few bad results could cascade in to whirlwind of pressure and anxiety.

This is one reason why I think we should be getting rid of the old guard, rather than sticking with them until they're 40, they've been great servants to the club and show great professionalism, but in lieu of a less brutal phrase... they are part of the rot. The core of the squad needs to be brought in to the 2020s, with young, strong optomistic leaders. Look at the England Rugby team after the 2003 World Cup win, they stuck with the same old players and it just got worse and worse until they had a clean sweep and brought in modern players with modern mentalities and it transformed the team, I think Town need the same to happen.

I'm happy however that Lambert is being backed, but if the squad doesn't perform him, things will get 'interesting' fast.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:00 pm

Yeah we've been hanging on to ageing players way too long. It's okay to want experience in the squad, but if the senior players become a liability get them off the bloody pitch!

2020/2021 Squad (Who should go?)
Ipswich Town Squad 2020/21

Goalkeepers: Holy, Przybek, Wright

Defenders: Donacien, Chambers, Wilson, Woolfenden, Vincent-Young, Nsiala, Kenlock, Ndaba, Cotter

Midfielders: Skuse, Downes, Huws, Judge, Dozzell, Nolan, Bishop, McGavin, El Mizouni, Nydam

Wingers: Edwards, Lankester, Dobra

Strikers: Jackson, Norwood, Sears, Folami, Morris, Drinan

Young players: Clements, Andoh, Z Brown, K Brown, Crowe, Smith, Henderson, Simpson, Crane, Gibbs

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:20 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:00 pm
Yeah we've been hanging on to ageing players way too long. It's okay to want experience in the squad, but if the senior players become a liability get them off the bloody pitch!

Defenders: Donacien, Chambers, Wilson, Woolfenden, Vincent-Young, Nsiala, Kenlock, Ndaba, Cotter

Midfielders: Skuse, Downes, Huws, Judge, Dozzell, Nolan, Bishop, McGavin, El Mizouni, Nydam

Young players: Clements, Andoh, Z Brown, K Brown, Crowe, Smith, Henderson, Simpson, Crane, Gibbs
The problem is, as I've said before, you can only get rid of the ones out of contract and the ones someone else wants. So you get stuck with those under contract who aren't good enough to be targeted by other clubs.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:35 pm

🤦‍♂️ Oh no. Squad discussions again.

Off to seek out more Covid death stories and Trump tweets.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:06 am

Andym wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:20 pm
number 9 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:00 pm

The problem is, as I've said before, you can only get rid of the ones out of contract and the ones someone else wants. So you get stuck with those under contract who aren't good enough to be targeted by other clubs.

I think this is exactly the issue Lambert faced when he took over from Hurst . I couldn’t believe he didn’t trim the squad last season! His most recent comment of ....” the squad we have is good enough and big enough to go again” frankly, fills me with dread .

Ricco: I am too now at that point where I think it’s time to really freshen up the playing staff from the old guard. Definitely on the field ( Chambers / Skuse) but I think these two in particular might be need behind the scenes in some capacity.

Marko: you love it really ! 😁

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:51 am

Ricco didn’t mention their names, but he must mean Chambo and Skuse. It’s only them and Freddy which are still around.

I agree with his comment.

This is one reason why I think we should be getting rid of the old guard, rather than sticking with them until they're 40, they've been great servants to the club and show great professionalism, but in lieu of a less brutal phrase... they are part of the rot.

You can’t get away from it..... they’ve been a major part of our club during the slide. And trying to be kind to them, I don’t believe they are solely responsible for the club’s predicament. However, this should be a reason why they shouldn’t be part of the future and maybe the climb back up, because our most senior players should be both influential on the field and in the dressing room. And, I can’t see where where their influence is that great- we looked clueless and without fight so many times. As Ricco states, there seems to be a rot set in. But anyway they’re here and look like still being part of the team and the future coaching staff.

I would love to see a new captain brought in who could at least instill some spirit in the team.... and a couple more hardened pros.... but I have a feeling we’ll be starting next season with the same leader.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:30 pm

I agree we need a new leader on the pitch, but at the moment I don’t know who that can be. Until we get some new players in we don’t really seem to have anyone else who fits the bill......

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:25 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:51 am
Ricco didn’t mention their names, but he must mean Chambo and Skuse. It’s only them and Freddy which are still around.

This is one reason why I think we should be getting rid of the old guard, rather than sticking with them until they're 40, they've been great servants to the club and show great professionalism, but in lieu of a less brutal phrase... they are part of the rot.

You can’t get away from it..... they’ve been a major part of our club during the slide. And trying to be kind to them, I don’t believe they are solely responsible for the club’s predicament. However, this should be a reason why they shouldn’t be part of the future and maybe the climb back up, because our most senior players should be both influential on the field and in the dressing room. And, I can’t see where where their influence is that great- we looked clueless and without fight so many times. As Ricco states, there seems to be a rot set in. But anyway they’re here and look like still being part of the team and the future coaching staff.

I would love to see a new captain brought in who could at least instill some spirit in the team.... and a couple more hardened pros.... but I have a feeling we’ll be starting next season with the same leader.
some of us on this board have been saying this for a couple of seasons or more. It's obvious, really - pity the management can't see the obvious

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:18 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:25 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:51 am

some of us on this board have been saying this for a couple of seasons or more. It's obvious, really - pity the management can't see the obvious
It's not just the management Rossi a awful lot of clever supporters can't see the wood for the trees due to blue tinted glasses blocking the obvious. They even voted one of the main culprits player of the year when we went down. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:08 am

I suppose it's a bit like the raving mad scientist, predicts a pandemic for 20 years and eventually he'll be right but for 19 years its incorrect hot air.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:48 am

Are we now going to descend back into this sort of bollocks again guys? The "I told you so" argument? Come on, this site has to be better than this. Can we please just discuss things without the tired old rubbish again?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:13 am

Which bit is bollocks and I told you so Nic ? Just curious.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:32 am

Its a feeling about the general gist this thread is heading down..... I don't want this site to end up with the same feeling it had a few months ago. If i'm getting the wrong end of the stick then fine, crack on.... I will just need to learn to ignore rather than comment

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:58 am

With you on this Nic, albeit it’s been a bit quiet on here without the footy, it certainly has been more relaxed from my perspective.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:39 pm

I think the problem is when a club has been in decline, it's down to a number of factors. Owner, managerial appointments, tactics, the older players, the inexperienced players, not playing the youngsters, playing the youngsters too much so they get injured, training methods, tactics, too large a squad, squad rotation, not investing at the right time, too many loanees, toilet paper not soft enough, toilet paper too soft so your fingers go through it....

Any or all of these might be factors. We all favour some as the cause over others. The fact is we can't change it, we can't go back in time and re-run the last 10 years do we will never know. But it's almost certainly a combination of many factors and I along with others here have been guilty of assigning blame to one particular let hate. What I've tried not to do is tell others that they are wrong.

Except of course I said we'd be lucky to finish in the top half of the table. I was wrong. 11th out of 23 is just top half. 😂😂😂

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:48 pm

Isn't a debate comprised of differing opinions usually in the form of right and wrong perceptions?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:30 pm

Nope. "Right" or "wrong" perceptions won't be tolerated. Only "correct" perceptions need apply.

Lambo OUT.

In fact, no. Undecided.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:25 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:48 pm
Isn't a debate comprised of differing opinions usually in the form of right and wrong perceptions?
Of course. But there's no point in debating if you don't listen to and consider other points of view.

All I'm saying is most of the opinions are probably correct. The downfall is down to a combination of factors. I've regularly blamed tactics and the lack of attacking football this season. I mention it because I still feel no club will achieve promotion without playing attacking football - but once it's achieved you've got to learn to defend. But that's not the reason why we struggled in the Championship. That might have been lack of investment (but I still will never blame a manager for ONLY putting in so many millions of his own money), poor managers, poor players, injuries etc. We are where we are for a number of reasons, and to focus on one as our pet hate is to not look at the bigger picture and accept others might have a valid point of view.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:45 am

Wise and accurate words Andy

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:15 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:30 pm
Nope. "Right" or "wrong" perceptions won't be tolerated. Only "correct" perceptions need apply.

Lambo OUT.

In fact, no. Undecided.
As the great Monty Python sketch said - "The basis for an argument isn't just contradicting the other persons statement" Yes it is, not it isn't, told you so.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:44 pm

New measures for salary caps to be introduced.... apparently.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/league-on ... -1-6704221

Probably both a good thing and a necessary thing if it happens.

Interestingly, looks like they want to limit squad size to 20 senior players, but under-21’s are exempt. I think that should encourage every club to play more youngsters - so it could be good for the game overall. Not so good, I guess, for those fringe journeymen squad players. There’ll be a lot more unemployed footballers. And thinking about it more I can see more PL clubs using League 1 & 2 clubs as feeder clubs for their youth players.

How it affects us? Having a bigger wage bill and squad didn’t work for us last season so who knows?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:38 pm

Limiting squads to 20 players will be good, it’ll stop Lambert bloody rotating the players so much 👍 a d perhaps force him to play our kids more .

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:33 am

Definitely think it would help Lambert to have a smaller squad as he seemed to over-think the whole approach to last season and over-estimated the squad ( so did I TBF)

I did read that if we were to adhere to the budget, we would have to cut our wage bill by as much as three times. That’s a lot of players to shift and we’d perhaps be forced to sell assets we’ve got. Just goes to show how many players on decent wages we’ve got or had who’ve been taking the p*ss. I do feel, in general, players have been too cosy at this club - happily picking up wages that they haven’t really earnt. Maybe Paul Hurst was right in trying to shake things up, although his execution was disastrous to say the least.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:37 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:33 am
Definitely think it would help Lambert to have a smaller squad as he seemed to over-think the whole approach to last season and over-estimated the squad ( so did I TBF)

I did read that if we were to adhere to the budget, we would have to cut our wage bill by as much as three times. That’s a lot of players to shift and we’d perhaps be forced to sell assets we’ve got. Just goes to show how many players on decent wages we’ve got or had who’ve been taking the p*ss. I do feel, in general, players have been too cosy at this club - happily picking up wages that they haven’t really earnt. Maybe Paul Hurst was right in trying to shake things up, although his execution was disastrous to say the least.
I think you are spot on Tang. There has been far too many players picking up decent money without putting in decent performances for far too long. It is time for a real good shake up to what we were kept being told by some that we have the best squad in League 1. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:24 pm

It arguably was the best squad in League One and THAT in itself was a problem, ...... Lambert kept fking around with it for months looking for Brazil 1970 and it became farcical.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:41 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:33 am

Don’t you remember Didsy saying just that , ie there was never any pressure to perform or expectation to “ must win”. Unlike his experience at SUFC . Mick Mills kept saying last season, that constantly changing the team , meant the players didn’t know where they stood in terms of “ oh well it doesn’t matter how good or bad I play, because I’ll get dropped for the next game anyway “....so his rotation system was actually counter productive and acted as a disincentive to players. This strategy , together with the underlying , poor expectations upon players , it’s not hard to see why we are where we are now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:45 pm

He may be right but coming from Didsy that is an absolute classic, a player who hid more than any other player I've seen, couldnt stand up without getting injured and still the same now, he came on last night and within minutes was injured twice, the commentator even dubbed him "The striker who doesn't score" lmao.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:47 pm

He is sadly one of the games many journeymen stealing a living out of the game .