Wolverhampton Wanderers v Ipswich Town

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

goldandblack

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Ipswich Town

Post by goldandblack » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:53 pm

Wolves v Ipswich Town.Saturday 1st November 1961
• Referee P Bye, Bedford
• Molineux Stadium

Our visitors today, newly promoted to Div 0ne Ipswich TownThe 1960–61 season was the 72nd season of competitive football played by Ipswich Town. They finished the season as champions of the Second Division, one point ahead of second-placed Sheffield United, winning promotion to the top flight of English football for the first time in their history. Ray Crawford was the league's top scorer with 40 goals and his strike partner Ted Phillips netted 30 times as Ipswich scored exactly 100 league goals.[1]
The club was founded as an amateur side in 1878 and were known as Ipswich A.F.C. until 1888 when they merged with Ipswich Rugby Club to form Ipswich Town Football Club.[4] The team won a number of local cup competitions, including the Suffolk Challenge Cup and the Suffolk Senior Cup.[5] After playing in the Norfolk & Suffolk League from 1899 and the South East Anglian League between 1903 and 1906, they joined the Southern Amateur League in 1907 and, with results improving steadily, became champions in the 1921–22 season.[6] The club won the league a further three times, in 1929–30, 1932–33 and 1933–34, before becoming founder members of the Eastern Counties Football League at the end of the 1934–35 season. A year later, the club turned professional and joined the Southern League, which they won in its first season and finished third in the next.[7]
Ipswich were elected to The Football League on 30 May 1938, and played in Division Three (South) until the end of the 1953–54 season, when they won the title and promotion to Division Two.

……..………………………………………………………………………….
Ipswich Town Manager
• Born in Dagenham, Essex, in 1920.
• Played for Southampton from 1943 to 1949, Spurs from 1949 to 1955.
• Played for England 32 games between 1948 to 1953

…………………………………………………………………………….

Wolves Manager Stan Cullis
• Born in Ellesmere Port.in 1916
• Played for Wolves 1934 to 1947
• Played for England12 times between 1937 to 1939

………………………………………………………………………………

Ipswich Town 1961/62

Team photograph L-R (Back Row) John Compton, Billy Baxter, Andy Nelson, Roy Bailey, John Elsworthy, Larry Carberry. L-R ( Front Row) Roy Stephenson, Ray Crawford, Ted Phillips, Doug Moran & Jimmy Leadbetter.
Towns last last 6 games

Town 1 Forest 0
• Blackpool 1 Town 1
• Town 3 Spurs 2
• Sheff U 2 Town 1
• Town 4 West Ham 2
• Sheff Wed 1 Town 4
…………………………………………………...
Wolves last 6 games

• Leicester City 3 Wolves 1
• Wolves 4 Man City 1
• Bolton 1 Wolves 0
• Wolves 0 Everton 3
• Birmingham 3 Wolves 6
• Aston Villa 1 Wolves 0
……………………………………………….

Ipswich Town Fans

Caption .1.
Caption .2.

Teams...Wolves.
Malcomb Finlayson, .George Showell, Eddie Clamp, Bill Slater, Ron Flowers, Bobby Thomson, Norman Deeley, Ted Farmer,Terry Wharton, Alan Hinton.Ted Farmer.

Teams...Ipswich Town
Roy Bailey. Bill Baxter. Larry Carberry. John Compton , Andy Nelson. John Elsworthy. Jimmy Leadbetter. Roy Stephenson, Ray Crawford.Doug Moran, Ted Phillips

Town Players to watch out for , Ray Crawford and Ted Phillips

Ted Phillips Phillips was born in Gromford, Suffolk and started his football career at local club Leiston before joining the British Army.,[1] 21 August 2013</ref> After leaving the army he was recommended to Ipswich Town by a scout and attended a trial at the club. The club offered Phillips a contract, but he initially refused to sign as he was earning more money as a gardener in Tunstall.[1] The club later offered to pay transport expenses and a total wage of £8 a week, after which he signed for the club.[1] After making his debut against Watford in March 1954, Phillips spent the 1955–56 season on loan to Stowmarket.[2]
Ray Crawford. began his career as a trainee at his home town club Portsmouth. He made his league début on 24 August 1957 in a goalless draw with Burnley. He managed 19 appearances for the club at senior level before joining second flight Ipswich Town in August 1958.

A prolific striker, he helped Ipswich to win back-to-back titles, the Second Division in 1960-61 and the First Division in 1961-62. In the latter season, he was joint leading scorer in Division One

………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Wolves Players to watch out for Alan Hinton and Terry Wharton

Terry Wharton
Born in Bolton ,Wharton joined Wolves on his 15th birthday in 1957 and he turned professional at Molineux in October 1959, two years later scoring on his debut in a 2–0 home win over Ipswich Town on 11 November 1961, having replaced Mark Lazarus. He then went on to score two more goals when making his debut in the FA Cup, versus Carlisle United in January 1962.
………………………………………………………………………….
Alan Hinton,
Born in Wednesbury, Wolverhampton,1942
Hinton started his career in the youth ranks at Wolverhampton Wanderers in October 1959, before making his senior debut on 7 January 1961 in a 1–1 draw with Huddersfield Town in the FA Cup.[citation needed] He came into the Wolves team during the 1961–62 season when he managed 16 appearances, scoring 5 times. The following season, he was a first choice in the wide left position, from where he netted 19 times, making him their leading goalscorer. He also won a call-up to the England team during this season when he played against France on 3 October 1962 in a Quilifyer

………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Ipswich Town travel arrangements,
Coaches will be leaving at 9.30am sharp on Friday 31st Oct and arriving in Wolverhampton between 10 am / 2.30pm on Saturday 1st Nov
Cost 2s-6d on top of floor or 3s-6d inside return.

Train Travel. will leave Train Station at 8.30p, Friday 31st Oct and hopefully arriving in Wolvo between 11am and 3pm Saturday 1st Nov. Cost;- 3s-6d (bring your own coal )

Preditions
Last edited by goldandblack on Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers v Ipswich Town

Post by marko69 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:23 pm

This is brilliant. Thread of the year so far. Loving the travel to the game. :lol:

Good work Wolfie 👏👏👏

Prediction:
Wolves 2 Ipswich 2 ?

Caption 1:
————
“Yes, 7 hundred seems a good price. Hahaha, what? 7 thousand? You must be out of your mind.”

(And soon after, money ruins the beautiful game)

Caption 2:
—————
Duck: “Oi, you there. You doing the stupid dance. Who drained the pond?”

Edit to add..... that duck caption is merely making fun of the mud like pitch surface. I’m not saying it’s “pond life” in Wolvo!! :D

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:21 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:23 pm
This is brilliant. Thread of the year so far. Loving the travel to the game. :lol:

Good work Wolfie 👏👏👏

Prediction:
Wolves 2 Ipswich 2 ?

Caption 1:
————
“Yes, 7 hundred seems a good price. Hahaha, what? 7 thousand? You must be out of your mind.”

(And soon after, money ruins the beautiful game)

Caption 2:
—————
Duck: “Oi, you there. You doing the stupid dance. Who drained the pond?”

Edit to add..... that duck caption is merely making fun of the mud like pitch surface. I’m not saying it’s “pond life” in Wolvo!! :D
:D
was the start of a great period in the Towns History but the end of our golden era, sacked manager, relegation,

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:48 am

Rearly enjoyed that. Brilliant work

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:37 am

Brilliant Woolfie, I quite expected to find myself along the line of kids against the wall at the front of Churchmans Stand, I recognise at least two of the men in the next row back, the guy with the white shirt with open collar and the fella to his left who both lived at Maidenhall. I’ll keep looking to see if I can find a few more I recognise.

For the younger generation the team photograph L-R (Back Row) John Compton, Billy Baxter, Andy Nelson, Roy Bailey, John Elsworthy, Larry Carberry. L-R ( Front Row) Roy Stephenson, Ray Crawford, Ted Phillips, Doug Moran & Jimmy Leadbetter.

This was pretty much the team I fell in love with at Portman Road and the team that built the foundations to my life long support for the Football Club.

John Compton used to go to church every Sunday where I was a choirboy ( St Mary at Stoke), and I used to see Andy Nelson almost every day as he lived nearby on Luther Road Ipswich. I also remember watching Ted Phillips playing cricket in the summer and cycling to Portman Road for training and on match days.

I think there are only four players from that picture who still survive, John Compton, Andy Nelson, Ray Crawford and Doug Moran who must all be in their early to mid 80’s.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:14 am

White shirt, open collar guy, Charnwood? The guy who looks like he's sookin' soor plumes?! Holy moly, he's thin. In fact the entire photo looks pre-Birdseye food; no obesity.

Check out the photo of the players running out with the medicine balls,.... Sorry, I mean the footballs......., look at the front row ------> that's not a child sitting on that guys lap...... thats almost a fully grown boy ffs!! Numb thighs for the poor bstd he's sitting on at full time. And that granny with the White hair scarf is telling him to sit still. Nothing looking enjoyable in that family day out!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:44 pm

White shirt open collar smack in the middle of the pic Marko, I think those seated in front of the wall were either pensioners or disabled if my memory serves me correct. Further along the wall we kids were allowed over and sat on the grass or on stools or milk crates whatever we need to make sure we could see. I always stood/or sat just to the left of the goal. Amazingly we hardly ever got hit by the ball.

Those early 60’s hardly anyone was fat or even slightly overweight. For those who may not be aware 14 years of food rationing only came to an end in summer 1954, just a few years before this game was played.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:14 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:37 am
Brilliant Woolfie, I quite expected to find myself along the line of kids against the wall at the front of Churchmans Stand, I recognise at least two of the men in the next row back, the guy with the white shirt with open collar and the fella to his left who both lived at Maidenhall. I’ll keep looking to see if I can find a few more I recognise.

For the younger generation the team photograph L-R (Back Row) John Compton, Billy Baxter, Andy Nelson, Roy Bailey, John Elsworthy, Larry Carberry. L-R ( Front Row) Roy Stephenson, Ray Crawford, Ted Phillips, Doug Moran & Jimmy Leadbetter.

This was pretty much the team I fell in love with at Portman Road and the team that built the foundations to my life long support for the Football Club.

John Compton used to go to church every Sunday where I was a choirboy ( St Mary at Stoke), and I used to see Andy Nelson almost every day as he lived nearby on Luther Road Ipswich. I also remember watching Ted Phillips playing cricket in the summer and cycling to Portman Road for training and on match days.

I think there are only four players from that picture who still survive, John Compton, Andy Nelson, Ray Crawford and Doug Moran who must all be in their early to mid 80’s.
Thanks for the players names Andy, i have put them under the team picture as you say for the young uns.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:29 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:44 pm
Amazingly we hardly ever got hit by the ball.
Nothing amazing about this, Charny. The balls weighed half a ton. Much like men who’ve been married over ten years.

Who going to be the first ???

“Speak for yer self mate. I get a sh*g every night! Proper sh*gger me!”

Proper liar as well.

“Nope, Nope! Serious! Every fuuukin night!”

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:56 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:44 pm
White shirt open collar smack in the middle of the pic Marko, I think those seated in front of the wall were either pensioners or disabled if my memory serves me correct. Further along the wall we kids were allowed over and sat on the grass or on stools or milk crates whatever we need to make sure we could see. I always stood/or sat just to the left of the goal. Amazingly we hardly ever got hit by the ball.

Those early 60’s hardly anyone was fat or even slightly overweight. For those who may not be aware 14 years of food rationing only came to an end in summer 1954, just a few years before this game was played.
looking back folk used to wear there best clobber to the match,
at the Mol there was no wall around the ground so you were really in the firing line.

verulam

Post by verulam » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:09 am

Excellent stuff - brought back many good memories.
Now, as you would expect from someone well into his 70's I always find something to pick up on!
The Suffolk Punch based club badge shown at the beginning of the feature was not introduced until 1972. The design was put forward by John Gammage in a competition that attracted hundreds of entries. They didn't fancy mine but I don't bear a grudge! John had been the treasurer of the Supportesr Association.
I really ought to get out more but you know you how it is.....

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:23 pm

verulam wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:09 am
Excellent stuff - brought back many good memories.
Now, as you would expect from someone well into his 70's I always find something to pick up on!
The Suffolk Punch based club badge shown at the beginning of the feature was not introduced until 1972. The design was put forward by John Gammage in a competition that attracted hundreds of entries. They didn't fancy mine but I don't bear a grudge! John had been the treasurer of the Supportesr Association.
I really ought to get out more but you know you how it is.....
Cheers Verulam, brought back some great memories for me as well, I couldn't find anywhere from that era which badge the Town wore so just guessed that one looked old. so what did your design look like or of.
was it this one in 1961
Question for you and others.
On ebay they are selling two Ipswich v Wolves 1962 programmes. on the front cover it shows the champions trophy
surely this was before you had won it, unless its the Div 2 Champions trophy. but it looks like the Div Trophy

the Advert on programme.
For Lunch before and Tea after the match--4 shillings, wonder if Footmans are still going, there's a telephone number, I might give them a call.

I went to this game 8) and when you beat the double winning spurs team,

verulam

Post by verulam » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:55 pm

That's definitely Andy Nelson holding up the 1st Division (as was) Championship trophy. The programme would have been for the match against Wolves on 22nd September 1962 (i.e. the 1962 63 season). Wolves won 3-2. Three days later Town put 10 past Floriana (Malta) in the European Cup.

As for the advert: Footmans was a much liked local departmental store. I recall the restaurant - my parents and I would drop off there during Saturday morning shopping when I was a young lad. It is where I had my first Coca Cola. The shop is still there but it has been part of Debenhams for many years.

My badge design was circular and was centered on not terribly imaginative ITFC lettering. I readily concede that the winning design was so much better!

verulam

Post by verulam » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:29 pm

Sorry - failed to answer your query re the Supporters Association Members Badge. This was certainly based on the Football Club's badge but please note: There was NO badge on the players' shirts at this time.
There had been a badge on the shirts during the post-war period but it must have been dropped - late 50's perhaps?

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:38 pm

verulam wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:55 pm
That's definitely Andy Nelson holding up the 1st Division (as was) Championship trophy. The programme would have been for the match against Wolves on 22nd September 1962 (i.e. the 1962 63 season). Wolves won 3-2. Three days later Town put 10 past Floriana (Malta) in the European Cup.

As for the advert: Footmans was a much liked local departmental store. I recall the restaurant - my parents and I would drop off there during Saturday morning shopping when I was a young lad. It is where I had my first Coca Cola. The shop is still there but it has been part of Debenhams for many years.

My badge design was circular and was centered on not terribly imaginative ITFC lettering. I readily concede that the winning design was so much better!
that's makes sense and solves dilemma Verulam, strange the advert read " A pair of Ipswich Town v Wolves 1961/2 - Town Championship season!"
only cost £4.00, the 61/62 match Town won 3-2.

on the badge I agree there seemed no pics with a badge. you could have been famous. :wink:

found this programme with the Div 2 trophy

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:31 pm

Very interesting reading all this Verulam. I see you’ve answered GoldandBlack on your design, but any chance of re-drawing from memory and posting a pic? I’d love to see that.

Must say though, I don’t think I’d have become an Ipswich Town fan had it not been for that badge that was posted further up the thread. Seeing that badge, absolutely massive on banners outside my uncles home near Wembley in ‘78 had me hooked. No idea what it was or what it meant but the picture triggered something in my head. Still my favourite badge. Not as keen on the upgraded red outlined and reworded badge, but still a great symbol of a great club.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:52 pm

verulam wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:29 pm
Sorry - failed to answer your query re the Supporters Association Members Badge. This was certainly based on the Football Club's badge but please note: There was NO badge on the players' shirts at this time.
There had been a badge on the shirts during the post-war period but it must have been dropped - late 50's perhaps?
There we’re no badges on Town shirts for the 10 years between 1955 and 1965, in fact when Town introduced a badge on the shirt in 1965 I thought it was something new and tonight I’ve learned something new. Until the introduction of the Suffolk Punch on the badge which I think came as result of a local competition, the previous badge was the Ipswich Coat of Arms.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:53 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:31 pm
Very interesting reading all this Verulam. I see you’ve answered GoldandBlack on your design, but any chance of re-drawing from memory and posting a pic? I’d love to see that.

Must say though, I don’t think I’d have become an Ipswich Town fan had it not been for that badge that was posted further up the thread. Seeing that badge, absolutely massive on banners outside my uncles home near Wembley in ‘78 had me hooked. No idea what it was or what it meant but the picture triggered something in my head. Still my favourite badge. Not as keen on the upgraded red outlined and reworded badge, but still a great symbol of a great club.
we seemed to have a different badge every season until the recent one. my favourite was this one

Badges since the 50s

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:06 pm

Top line, 2nd from the left is the one I remember the most from younger days and panini stickers, Wolfie.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:38 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:06 pm
Top line, 2nd from the left is the one I remember the most from younger days and panini stickers, Wolfie.
yeah that was an ok to me as well,..from the Doog era

the bottom left was from our worst era.