WARNOCK WAITING IN THE WINGS

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: WARNOCK WAITING IN THE WINGS

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:39 pm

Chris Hughton

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:41 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:14 pm
Warnock in as long as he commits to the full season next year with Dyer (or someone young) shadowing him to take it on when he retires. Nothing to lose now - no time to take prisoners - its war!

Not sure about Dyer, but that is actually not a bad suggestion and let's face it, it's about the only thing Evans hasn'f tried,

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:57 pm

Hughton is OK but more ex norwich... lets try something new(ish)?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:48 pm

Do understand that will be an issue with a fair few. The ex Norwich thing. Can’t say it wouldn’t be an issue with me if Hibs kept hiring ex Jambos.

But regarding Hughton and the East Anglia thing, yes he’s proved he can manage a football club but is he the temperament Ipswich need? Too nicey nice imo. Too nice and he’d almost be another Lambo only worse. Who is the League One Sean Dyche? Get that dude in. Even if he doesn’t get the job, get him in the door anyway to hopefully open Mevans’ eyes a bit in an hour long interview. Complete with throaty voice!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:29 pm

I wouldn't touch Warnock, he already stated that he wants to retire at the end of this season but wouldn't mind some extra cash if someone needs him to do a short term job (presumably keeping someone up). This seems pointless to me and I don't see why he would have any better chance of getting us up this season than Lambert. Do we need this kind of mercenary approach at our club?

Personally if I were Evans I would stick with Lambert for now and then have a long review meeting at the end of the season before making any decisions. The change in fortunes between first 15 or 20 games and now looks so extreme to me that I can't help thinking something must have happened that we don't necessarily know about (apart from players getting stupid suspensions of course).

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:47 pm

By the time the over 70’s are allowed out of their homes the season will be over and Neil Warnock will have retired.🤣😂🤣

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:49 am

Well he waited long enough .... and now he’s Middlesbrough's new boss.

Have to say I didn’t take the speculation that seriously about Warnock coming here.

Just a reminder, though, how much heat Lambert was under at the time before the Coronavirus hit. We lost our last 4 games and, who knows, if we’d kept on losing then Lambert would have been under incredible pressure. Not sure that Evans would have pulled the trigger, but things would have got nastier.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:34 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:29 pm
I wouldn't touch Warnock, he already stated that he wants to retire at the end of this season but wouldn't mind some extra cash if someone needs him to do a short term job (presumably keeping someone up). This seems pointless to me and I don't see why he would have any better chance of getting us up this season than Lambert. Do we need this kind of mercenary approach at our club?

Personally if I were Evans I would stick with Lambert for now and then have a long review meeting at the end of the season before making any decisions. The change in fortunes between first 15 or 20 games and now looks so extreme to me that I can't help thinking something must have happened that we don't necessarily know about (apart from players getting stupid suspensions of course).
Some good pints there DB. For what it’s worth I think Lambo had started to lose the confidence of the players with his constant team rotation. The players were just fed up with not knowing if they would play from one week t9 another, and it definitely didn’t help consistency of form . Why should the players bust a gut if only to be dropped the next game? I think a lot of these post match player meetings in the changing room were to vent their frustrations.

There are 4 things I want Lambert to do this season.

1) Reduce the squad size
2) Bring the youngsters in
3) Keep a settled side
4) Keep a settled formation were possible

If he does this I Honestly think we will get promoted.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:34 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

Some good pints there DB. For what it’s worth I think Lambo had started to lose the confidence of the players with his constant team rotation. The players were just fed up with not knowing if they would play from one week t9 another, and it definitely didn’t help consistency of form . Why should the players bust a gut if only to be dropped the next game? I think a lot of these post match player meetings in the changing room were to vent their frustrations.

1) Reduce the squad size
3) Keep a settled side

Not a bad idea for a thread, a wish list of 4 things for PL to do next season.

Here's my list...……….

1) emigrate to Outer Mongolia
2) be appointed as the first football manager on Mars
3) go away
4) fck off

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:49 am
Well he waited long enough .... and now he’s Middlesbrough's new boss.

Have to say I didn’t take the speculation that seriously about Warnock coming here.

Just a reminder, though, how much heat Lambert was under at the time before the Coronavirus hit. We lost our last 4 games and, who knows, if we’d kept on losing then Lambert would have been under incredible pressure. Not sure that Evans would have pulled the trigger, but things would have got nastier.
I’ve always fancied seeing Neil Warnock managing Town for a spell although I’ve never seen him as a long term appointment. Unfortunately I don’t think I’m ever gonna see this happen now he’s moved to Middlesbrough and back to close to where he started at Scarborough.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:40 am

It’ll be interesting to see what he does there won’t it . Boro have been slipping down the league for a a while now , never quite managing to pull off promotion ( bit like us under McCarthy really ) .

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:06 pm

They wanted rid of Woodgate anyhow, appointing the name in question just seems a bonus. Didn't bother to view Championship league status, in all truth don't care much for what they get up to. Here's a name that featured in a UEFA Cup Final in the not too distant past but as always they can never really hope for much. Seem to remember them more for playing a pivotal part in costing us the League in '81 than any moments since or before.

At the time bringing Warnock in here seemed a good idea but now the club voted not to complete the league season and we haven't taken to the field since March or something, point being people are going to - or have - lost interest in the game. Maybe Neil can do something for them, type of manager that tries to motivate and not afraid to criticize. There isn't much else to add to this issue.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:27 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:34 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

1) Reduce the squad size
3) Keep a settled side

I can’t disagree with any of those points, but maybe along with reducing the squad size - get rid of injury-prone players and try and bring in more sturdy players who can deal with the physicality and have more chance of keeping match fit.

I think getting the right players and the balance of the squad is most important because, based on last season, Lambert’s ability as a coach has taken a nose-dive. He couldn’t seem to squeeze anything extra out of the players and tactically was out-manoeuvred. And I think he pandered too much to senior players by trying to keep them happy and giving them game-time.
Keeping it simple is best for Lambo IMO.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:36 am

I think Lambert would do well to look at how Klopp managed his squad of players . Even with European football in the mix , Klopp used EIGHT players in every game so far this ( last?) season , each playing 31 games. It underlines for me the crucial mistake Lambert made last season. As you say Tang, he started his rotation crap when we were at least winning games ( even if unconvincing in form in the games - I never felt we were comfortable anyway )

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Another example is Wolves Nuno Espirito Santo‘s who I’m sure I heard yesterday has only used 14 different players in his starting line up so far this season. That’s one way to make sure you get consistency and fewer players used than Paul Lambert over most 8 day periods throughout the season.

Back on topic it’s great to see Neil Warnock begin his time in charge at Middlesbrough with a 0-2 win at Stoke to take them 2 points clear of the relegation zone.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:29 pm

I like everything about the Wolves manager, I think he is superb.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:28 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:06 pm
Back on topic it’s great to see Neil Warnock’s "Dundee of England" start his time in charge with a 0-2 win at Stoke to take them 2 points clear of the relegation zone.
Fixed that for you, Charny.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:55 pm

Thanks Marko 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:10 pm

Boro done by Hull, fcuk off Warnock lol