Transfer Rumours

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Transfer Rumours

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:18 am

This is one that won't go away and could be a realistic target given the financial constraints we are under......
Town are again being linked with goalkeeper David Cornell, who is now a free agent with his contract at Northampton up following the Cobblers' successful League Two play-off campaign. Derby County and Birmingham City are also reported to be keen on the 29-year-old.

Cornell was initially mentioned in connection with the Blues in December and again in January. Middlesbrough, Preston North End and Blackburn were said to be interested in those earlier reports.

Now, according to Football Insider, the Rams and Birmingham have joined Town in showing interest in Cornell, who was among Northampton's star performers during their League Two promotion campaign, although he was left on the bench for their play-off games with his end-of-season exit having been on the cards for some time.

Born in Waunarlwydd in Wales, Cornell started his career at Swansea during which time he had spells on loan at Port Talbot, Hereford, St Mirren and Portsmouth before moving on to Oldham in the summer of July 2015 having made only one League Cup appearance for the Swans.

In June 2016 he joined Northampton and went on to make 107 starts and one sub appearance while at Sixfields.

Cornell, who is 5ft 11in tall, was reportedly close to a first Wales call-up last season having won caps at U17, U19 and U21 levels.

Town will be looking for another senior goalkeeper ahead of 2020/21 with loanee Will Norris having departed at the end of the season and given the current financial situation the free transfer market appears the most likely source of any summer additions.

Tomas Holy, 28, is currently the only experienced keeper with Adam Przybek, 20, who signed from West Brom last summer, having made one Leasing.com Trophy appearance and Harry Wright, 21, yet to make his first-team bow.

Tangfastic

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:41 pm

If we can afford two senior GK’s and two young GKs on pro contacts then maybe we’re not so badly off. Or maybe Lambo will get rid of Holy. Obviously doesn’t rate him after the way he was treated.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:52 pm

I'm not sure it's a case of not rating Holy I just think he thought Norris was way better than he actually is, thankfully he's buggered off now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:51 pm

I think Town were hamstrung by the loan deal negotiated by Wolves . We were tied into playing Norris for do meant games , regardless of form.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:56 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:51 pm
I think Town were hamstrung by the loan deal negotiated by Wolves . We were tied into playing Norris for do meant games , regardless of form.
I recall suggesting that at the time. No one wants to send players out on loan and then not play.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:23 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:41 pm
If we can afford two senior GK’s and two young GKs on pro contacts then maybe we’re not so badly off. Or maybe Lambo will get rid of Holy. Obviously doesn’t rate him after the way he was treated.

If I were Thomas Holy I’d be looking for a Club where I was more likely to get regular football if my form was good. In my opinion he was treated unfairly by Lambert and Goalkeepers especially need confidence to play their best.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:53 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:23 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:41 pm

If I were Thomas Holy I’d be looking for a Club where I was more likely to get regular football if my form was good. In my opinion he was treated unfairly by Lambert and Goalkeepers especially need confidence to play their best.
Spot on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:57 pm

Holy being dropped after something like Six clean sheets in a row was a joke and a definite f*ck up by Lambert, it contributed to our demise as much as KVY getting injured.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:27 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:51 pm
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/will-norr ... -1-6725638

I know there were rumours about clauses in Norris’ contract, but this article last week in the EADT appears to state there wasn’t one.

Much of that questioning related to the potential presence of a clause in Norris’s loan, stating he was required to play games, but no such clause existed. It’s likely Lambert’s desire to play Norris was centred around the fact he was originally viewed as the club’s No.1 for the season, trained to a very high level, fears Wolves could recall him in January if he wasn’t playing games and the fact the Town boss was keen to make the deal permanent should Ipswich win promotion.

Clearly Lambert thought Norris was the better keeper. We wasted no time in dropping Holy after we lost our second game against Rotherham. I remember Holy put in a weak effort to save their second goal, but we lost that game because we were completely over-powered and out-played.
Really harsh on Holy. Even if there was a clause, I don’t believe a manager would jeopardise a result (and their reputation) by a contract clause.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:19 am

Clearly Holy isn’t rated is he- hence why we’re constantly being linked with this other keeper perhaps then? All a bit odd. I can’t remember who brought Holy to the Club but he doesn’t appear to have been given much time to establish or prove himself. Suspect he’ll be one on his way then.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:48 am

From highlights, he certainly took about 3 weeks to get down to some near post shots. Maybe Lambert didn’t like that lethargy...... (or just tad too tall)..... and why the other lad was given the nod at times.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:10 pm

Personally I don't think Holy will be going anywhere, I can see him being number One next season, I just think Lambert saw Norris as the more experienced keeper, every club needs Two good keepers so Holy should be safe.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:44 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:10 pm
Personally I don't think Holy will be going anywhere, I can see him being number One next season, I just think Lambert saw Norris as the more experienced keeper, every club needs Two good keepers so Holy should be safe.
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... -1-6731453

I think you’ve got this right, Mike. Holy signs new one year extension.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:03 am

Interesting that players , especially senior ones , are faced with accepting one or two year extensions at lower pay or risk unemployment going into new season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:06 am

Looking at this list below , looks like we are lumbered with a lot of players for another year though doesn’t it !

Ipswich Town contracts

Donacien*, Chambers, Huws, Judge*, Wilson*, Sears*, Jackson*, Nolan*, Bishop*, Nsiala*, Nydam*, El Mizouni*, Wright, Skuse*, Dozzell, Edwards, McGavin*, Drinan, Przybek*, Folami*, Morris*, Cotter, Clements*, Gibbs*, Andoh*, Z.Brown*, K.Brown*, Hughes*

Downes*, Norwood*, Lankester*, Kenlock*, Ndaba*, Crowe*, Smith*, Simpson*, Crane*, Holy

Vincent-Young*, Dobra*

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:11 am

A lot of those are young/youth players and wont cost much to dump if needed though.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:40 am

nicscreamer wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:11 am
A lot of those are young/youth players and wont cost much to dump if needed though.
Ah yes, the harsh world of football continues post covid. :lol:

"I'd like to play, Mr Lambert."
"Who the hell are you anyway, Z Brown? Sorry but you're dumped. Here's an idea though. Go make clear distinctions between the organic strawberries and non organic strawberries at Tesco so I'm not standing in front of strawberries for half an hour trying to find the organic strawberries to go with the Mrs' 85% ladeeee fuckin daaaaaa Lindt chocolate. They're hiring."

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:58 am

Harsh but unfortunately true. There are going to be thousands of youth players dropped across the lower leagues - but i hear there are lots of fruit picking jobs available.......

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:44 pm

Here’s hoping they label the organic ones clearly.

And FFS, advice to all....... don’t buy caged hen eggs. 🤦‍♂️

Ok, back to the rumour mill of transfers.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:20 pm

Yes sorry Marko , back on track.... Some Sunderland geezer rumored to be in our sights... See very up to date!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:22 pm

A lot of transfer activity today. The second player we’ve signed after Holy- we’ve activated Jon Nolan’s extra year a year early. Contracted till 2022.

That should sell a few more season tickets. :( A vacant seat in the minibus.

Apparently, it’s thought this is down to the expected salary cap - maybe starting from 2021-22. Contracts signed before the cap coming in, would be exempt.
Bit surprised that Nolan would be part of any long-term planning.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:25 pm

He's in the mood for playing.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:31 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:25 pm
He's in the mood for playing.
Based on last season, I’d prefer to sign one of his sisters.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:47 pm

Would the dead one be an improvement?

Sorry. That was a bit dark.

...... but seriously though?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:09 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:47 pm

To be fair, I think her legs have gone, but Colleen would add some much needed balast in midfield.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:57 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:47 pm

Lmfao

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:28 pm

TWTD understands Crystal Palace are showing interest in Town midfielder Flynn Downes.

Downes was one of the Blues’ star performers during 2019/20 and caught the eye of a number of clubs from higher divisions, among them Fulham and West Ham.

Palace sporting director Dougie Freedman was spotted at Town’s 2-1 defeat at Blackpool in February, the Blues' last away game prior to the lockdown.

It had been believed that Luke Woolfenden was the reason for the former Scotland international's trip to Bloomfield Road, however, we now understand it is Downes who has crossed Palace’s radar.

Whether the Premier League Eagles or any of the other interested parties opt to firm up their interest in the England U20 international before the start of 2020/21 remains to be seen.

The 21-year-old is contracted to the Blues until the summer of 2022 with Town having an option for a further season.

Meanwhile, the Newcastle Chronicle has dismissed this afternoon's report claiming Town are chasing Sunderland striker Charlie Wyke.

Black Cats boss Phil Parkinson is said to be keen to keep the former Bradford frontman on Wearside.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:35 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:06 am
Looking at this list below , looks like we are lumbered with a lot of players for another year though doesn’t it !

Ipswich Town contracts

Donacien*, Chambers, Huws, Judge*, Wilson*, Sears*, Jackson*, Nolan*, Bishop*, Nsiala*, Nydam*, El Mizouni*, Wright, Skuse*, Dozzell, Edwards, McGavin*, Drinan, Przybek*, Folami*, Morris*, Cotter, Clements*, Gibbs*, Andoh*, Z.Brown*, K.Brown*, Hughes*

Downes*, Norwood*, Lankester*, Kenlock*, Ndaba*, Crowe*, Smith*, Simpson*, Crane*, Holy

Vincent-Young*, Dobra*

Is it normal for a League One club to have as man6 as 40 players under contract ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:35 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:35 am
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:06 am

Ipswich Town contracts

Vincent-Young*, Dobra*

Is it normal for a League One club to have as man6 as 40 players under contract ?
Many of those are cheap youngsters who might struggle to get in our under 23 team. Mind you, they’re still on the wage bill. And that’s after we’ve let go of Keane, Rowe, Roberts and loanees from last season Garbutt, Norris plus a couple of other loanees. Still feels a bloated squad and we still need to bring in players in certain positions.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:41 pm

Charny I think this was the start of Lamberts problems last season. By not reducing a bloated squad, he seems to have felt obliged to play half of them every other week. We really do need to trim the squad quite a bit I think. Even if they are youngster not being paid much. Every penny is important I’d say.

I’d doubt many league one clubs have the size of squad we have and I fully agree with you, Town must cut the number of players on the books. Question is , can we offload them?