I’d say this Town fan pretty much hits the nail on the head

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

I’d say this Town fan pretty much hits the nail on the head

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:41 pm

..... about what went wrong last season ( and in response to O’Neils recent article / post- mortem on Town’s last season......,,

“ Just PR bollix. The league table in January WAS lying - those of us regulars knew that, and were saying it - our performances did not warrant that position - but noone else was putting a run together at that point.

We were poor from October onwards, let alone November. And as for blaming injuries, the squad we had without KVY and Norwood (who was erratic anyway) was the envy of the division. And Lambert was the one who started chopping and changing the starting 11 anyway, before injuries even occured.
That was the main error - f*cking around with the defence which, until he dropped Holy for no reason at all, was looking solid. You look at every successful team - they have a solid back 4/5, which you only change if you HAVE to. The defence is about skill, hard work, concentration and.....communication. This was Richard Wright's main asset - he was a good shot stopper, reasonable on croses, but he was a GREAT communicator. If you chop and change the defence every week they lose that telepathy. Nah, Lambert has to take the flak for this - we had a great squad, far more resource than any other team, solid backing from the owner (I'm no fan....), and were the architects of our own downfall, changing the line up ad postponing fixtures to just destroy any team understanding and momentum we were building.

And frankly the cr@p that this Lee Evans or whatever his name is talks just makes him seem like another PR mouthpiece. Sad days. Hope we learn the lessons next season - get a settled squad, and stick with it... (oh, and play our own players rather than loanees).”

Andym

Re: I’d say this Town fan pretty much hits the nail on the head

Post by Andym » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:49 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:41 pm

“ Just PR bollix. The league table in January WAS lying - those of us regulars knew that, and were saying it "
I have to take issue with that. I (along with a. couple of ofhers) were saying that from about October onwards. But the majority on here were happy as long as we were at the top.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:24 pm

Well I wasn’t happy with how we were playing Andy.....I went to fair few away games with Mike and said often ...” how the hell did we win that.” I wasn’t convinced at all. Then Lambo started messing with the team. The rest is history.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:42 pm

It's all history now, we all have our views, nothing is gonna change it, some of the article is correct and some is as he says, bollox.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:01 am

But the Club does have to learn from the mistakes made last season Mike , or we will make the same mistakes all over again. So O’Neil stating that the Club is proactively looking at what went wrong is in my view a positive thing. I’d be far more worried if we weren’t.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:02 am

Yes I agree completely

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:14 am

I’d say there’s a lot to agree with.

The squad rotation was a big problem that we pretty much all mentioned. The one thing I disagree with was when it was said we had a great squad. Whilst I believe we had a big squad with, on paper, decent players for this level, it seemed a imbalanced squad where we were weak in a few areas. We had so many central midfielders (Downes, Skuse, Huws, Dozzell, Bishop, Nolan, El Mizouni, Judge, Dobra, McGavin), yet only Downes seemed physically capable for this league. We didn’t have any big target man. When we lost Norwood and Jackson was suspended we were struggling for strikers. We were lacking in wide players and players like Judge were being shunted out of position out wide. We lost KVY and were forced to play Edwards as a makeshift wing back.
For all our resources, it didn’t feel it was a well thought out squad. You need a physical presence in midfield and up front and proper wide players. Massive squad, but felt stretched very quickly.
Lambert needs to adopt a fixed playing style and get the right personnel in. And we don’t need all those central midfielders fighting for 2-3 positions.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:31 am

I would agree with you in squad size Tang. But I would say several “ big / experienced names in that squad failed to show . I’m thinking, Judge, Huws, Nolan, Edwards. They let the squad and Lambert down severely IMO. True though, we lacked a big target man (Keane did sod all) . I n think Lambert MUST trim this squad for coming season , and we appear to be considering a different strike force
(probably because. Jackson looks set to jump ship ) . But we must get a younger CB to pair with Woolfie. And xxx as you say that Midfield needs trimming too. I think Downes is certain to go . I don’t buy all this “ he’s committed to the Club” clap trap. Just try and get a good price for him she give PL some if the money to rebuild. If Evans doesn’t do something along this line then we may as well switch the lights off and stick the milk bottles out .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:13 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:31 am
If Evans doesn’t do something along this line then we may as well switch the lights off and stick the milk bottles out.
:lol: Nice

Similar opinion on Flynn Downes. Absolutely no chance he'll be at ITFC next season. But, judging by the betting yesterday ----> could be massively wrong.