A damning article of narwich lack of ambition..

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

A damning article of narwich lack of ambition..

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:47 pm

Narwich it seems are very Happy to take the money ( £200m+?) and run, AND receive a further £90-100m for that failure to even attempt to compete at PL level.

Some of the article’s observations about relegated clubs from the PL getting “ rewarded “ for failure, really can be applied to all relegated PL clubs . This honestly needs to change . It would make clubs more responsible . There needs to be a balance between being responsible and the amount spent in order to compete at PL level.

Does anyone know for example what Sheffield Utd have spent this season ?

Anyway here’s the article .. thoughts guys?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ation.html

arana peligrosa

Re: A damning article of narwich lack of ambition..

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:02 am

I don't see what they get up to. All right they're (or were) an EPL team that recently suffered a drop to lower league but that doesn't tell the full picture. Reports (in link provided) indicate they were poor or totally ineffective, pretty much standard reasoning for any team that entails a relegation but can't pass judgments on one position alone.

We don't get to set the "reward" limits for teams that finish they're at. Carrow Road you'd imagine would sell out for most home fixtures. The fans there - for whatever you can label them - at least show loyalty. Bring in a significant amount of revenue for ticket sales for what is essentially a small club with little to zero in the hope of winning anything substantial.

Appears a majority of purchases they made this season went undisclosed so people are left guessing to the true figure of what they've paid out.
Sheffield as questioned were a bit more forthcoming (after reference) with their activities and believe total around £ 42 million in players bought and even then that applies merely to revealed costs.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:44 am

The Norwich fans should be the best to judge on their lack of ambition. They’ve bought the season tickets and they’d be the ones who’d feel short-changed. Has to be said, it’s a dismal, limp end to their season and you feel they’ve accepted relegation - or even planned for it - long ago.
I don’t think the article is very balanced or that well-researched.
You don’t have to look too far back to see they spent big and then when they got relegated, they had a bunch of expensive flops on their payroll. I guess their approach was based on them getting burnt last time they were promoted. The article could have mentioned Wolfswinkel,Naismith, etc. who were haemorrhaging money from the club. Once bitten, twice shy. There’s talk of transfer fees - 8 million spent, 60 million spent (Sheffield Utd), 143 million (Aston Villa)- but no mention of the contracts these players are on? You don’t just pay fees - you have to put PL players on PL wages for 2-3 years.
Also, there was no mention of the COVID situation. They’re playing in front of no crowds. If they were playing so dismally in front of fans they’d get booed off every game. I think Norwich feel bloody lucky they’re not playing in front of crowds. It’s kind of burying bad news amidst the Covid crisis. Would their approach be different if the fans were there?
Have to admit, it does seem a cynical approach to ‘not compete’, but when you see so many clubs get into difficulty, then should we be so judgemental? Maybe they’re guilty of being too responsible.
Their fans could have the final say if they don’t buy season tickets next season or give the club some grief.
I don’t even think they were planning on getting promoted when they did, but got ‘lucky’. So maybe that’s a reason why they’re happy to be back in the Championship, albeit much richer.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:26 am

Yes, MUCH richer.

Thinking back, for the last three months of their promotion season, they were humping teams. Pukki got three hatricks in consecutive weeks from memory.
Promotion happened and it all quickly turned to sh*t.
It’s either a rabbit in the headlights scenario or the EPL definitely IS that good.

In my opinion, no way was there a lack of trying. Completely and utterly absurd.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Fortunately most Town fans could not give a rats arse what is going on at carrot road.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Haven't read the article but I don't think their failure is due to lack of ambition, it's just the ever-widening gulf between prem and championship. And it is only going to keep widening.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:00 pm

But Sheffield Utd make a bit of a mockery of that theory.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:45 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:42 pm
Fortunately most Town fans could not give a rats arse what is going on at carrot road.
There is a difference between giving a rats arse and having a conversation about the closest rivals. Hopefully ALL don't give a rats arse about what's actually going on.

Was involved in a conversation with daughter and her pals about Hollyoaks the other night. But I couldn't give a rats arse in reality.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:40 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:45 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
There is a difference between giving a rats arse and having a conversation about the closest rivals. Hopefully ALL don't give a rats arse about what's actually going on.

Was involved in a conversation with daughter and her pals about Hollyoaks the other night. But I couldn't give a rats arse in reality.
I’ve checked the TB forum rules , and I can’t see anywhere where you can’t mention your rivals or raise questions or ( as you rightfully say marko) discuss them. It’d good to see people’s views on them as well as about us or other Clubs . It’s a “ football forum “ all said and done .

..... why the hell would you discuss Holyoaks ? Didn’t know you could even get it that far North 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:17 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:44 am

You don’t have to look too far back to see they spent big and then when they got relegated, they had a bunch of expensive flops on their payroll. I guess their approach was based on them getting burnt last time they were promoted.

There’s talk of transfer fees - 8 million spent, 60 million spent (Sheffield Utd), 143 million (Aston Villa)- but no mention of the contracts these players are on? You don’t just pay fees - you have to put PL players on PL wages for 2-3 years.

Also, there was no mention of the COVID situation. They’re playing in front of no crowds. If they were playing so dismally in front of fans they’d get booed off every game. I think Norwich feel bloody lucky they’re not playing in front of crowds. It’s kind of burying bad news amidst the Covid crisis. Would their approach be different if the fans were there?

Have to admit, it does seem a cynical approach to ‘not compete’, but when you see so many clubs get into difficulty, then should we be so judgemental? Maybe they’re guilty of being too responsible.

Their fans could have the final say if they don’t buy season tickets next season or give the club some grief.
I don’t even think they were planning on getting promoted when they did, but got ‘lucky’. So maybe that’s a reason why they’re happy to be back in the Championship, albeit much richer.
Some great points raised there tang 👍.

The6 have come in for some criticism by the MOTD Pundits, there no doubt about that.

I got the impression that Norwich were trying do it the WBA way, ( they had a spell a few years ago of yo -yo ing between the PL and Championship without really spending that much, but collecting the loot. But you could be right when you say they didn’t expect to get promoted when the6 did, ( because they did get lucky). But if it’s a reaction to getting stung for hefty contracts on their previous promotion, I’d say they’ve over reacted . I didn’t think they’ve bought anyone have they. They started the season with injuries ( like us season long), so why the hell didn't they get someone in to bolster their defence in the Jan window? They might not have the quality to score goals , but get a half decent defender in and they might have at least got a few draws.

The poin5 about the lack of fans, is an interesting one. Whilst it can be said it’s the same for both teams, I think it would be fair to say they are generally a force at Carrot Road, with their 12th man as Delia would have us believe. Perhaps there’s something in that. But as you say, with the form they have displayed , their crowd whilst being a help when things are going well, are also know to turn on their heroes very quickly too.

I’ve watched a fair few of their games since the PL resumed , and the6 just haven’t looked up for it. After losses against relegation rivals ( where I honestly thought they’d get all three points vs West Ham, Watford, and had them scraping out of the relegation zone), I was amazed they were so poor. They look like they’ve thrown the towel in frankly. Which is unlike them as I’d often be tearing my hair out because they’d scored yet another winner in the 97th min.

Wining becomes a habit, as does losing ( we know that all too well here). So I do wonder what will happen to them in the Championship in a few weeks time ( they won’t get much of break now will they? ). Will they still have this losing mentality?

Yes, They will be circa £200-300m richer. But Is that what football has become all about now though ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:18 pm

When we tilt the TV 45°, shove the aerial up the cats arse and then all stand in the hallway..... we get channel 4, Hallam! 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:00 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:40 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:45 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:

I’ve checked the TB forum rules , and I can’t see anywhere where you can’t mention your rivals or raise questions or ( as you rightfully say marko) discuss them. It’d good to see people’s views on them as well as about us or other Clubs . It’s a “ football forum “ all said and done .

..... why the hell would you discuss Holyoaks ? Didn’t know you could even get it that far North 👍
You should read what I said again. "Most Town fans" which there are 1000's who don't give a dam what the scum do. This was not a dig at you or the forum. :roll: