Luton

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Andym

Luton

Post by Andym » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:16 pm

Delighted to see Luton avoid relegation. Can't believe they won 3-2 with only 1 shot on target. 2 own goals and a penalty.

But having been rooted to the bottom of the league they hit promotion form. Of their last 15 games that won 7, drew 6 and lost 2. That's on a budget that I guess was significantly below ours in the championship.

I imagine Nathan Jones will be regarded as a hero again despite leaving thrm and returning.

verulam

Re: Luton

Post by verulam » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:06 am

Well, that serves me right. Living in St Albans I had already pencilled Luton away in as a convenient fixture for next season (always assuming supporters will be allowed back in at some point). Even my neighbour, an ardent Hatters supporter, was convinced they were bound for the drop.
So, if we are allowed out, it's off to Charlton instead and perhaps I'll venture north to Northampton (last visited in 1967).

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Was hoping that sh*te hole wasn't still on the list for possible away days but hey ho.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:14 pm

^ :lol: ^ Never been to kenilworth Rd Itself, but Luton in general? S’no great innit?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:16 pm
Delighted to see Luton avoid relegation. Can't believe they won 3-2 with only 1 shot on target. 2 own goals and a penalty.

But having been rooted to the bottom of the league they hit promotion form. Of their last 15 games that won 7, drew 6 and lost 2. That's on a budget that I guess was significantly below ours in the championship.

I imagine Nathan Jones will be regarded as a hero again despite leaving thrm and returning.
Wish Town had that sort of luck !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:14 pm
^ :lol: ^ Never been to kenilworth Rd Itself, but Luton in general? S’no great innit?
Resembles Beirut on Speed.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:07 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:39 pm
marko69 wrote:
I went to my first ever away day at Luton... FA cup where Butcher got badly hurt.. early 80s. I was 12/13 and we got bottled on the way out... scared the sh*te out of me. Not upset at all that they wont be playing us next year.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:37 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:39 pm
marko69 wrote:
:lol: People of a certain age, (ie, you or I) use Beirut as a shytehole example. We fall into that 80's trap.
But I have a buddy who's into the scuba diving thing and he goes to Beirut regularly to use that area of The Med. Apparently it is quite exotic now. :shock:

"Where you off too on hols?"
"Beirut."
"Not so good. Hit rough times with work?"
"No. Costing me a feckin bomb."
"Really? Not,....... a real bomb though?"
"Its a figure of speech, numpty! Its a paradise now."

Anyway, passed through Luton 5 or 6 years ago. Not memorable.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:54 pm

I loved it when I lived there. But that was 48 years ago....
Felt safer there then than I do in Ipswich now. There was no real trouble then and all races and religions got on well.

But I wouldn't want to live there now. i guess there's intolerance on all sides.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:34 pm

I’ll always remember David Pleat skipping along with so much joy when they avoided relegation in the last game in the old first division in the early eighties. Such genuine joy before all the 24/7 social media fake sh*t now.

https://youtu.be/XyAUkaC6nsI

Luton had some good players in those days... Ricky Hill, the Steins, Horton, Randy Antic.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:05 pm

didn't they find Terry Waite in Luton ?

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:09 pm

marko69 wrote:
Am I allowed to say Lutontanistan? 😀

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:09 pm

Luton have had some good players over the years, Bruce Rioch and Mick Harford to name a couple. I also remember Luton being in the first FA Cup final I can remember watching on TV when Roy Dwight ( Elton Johns cousin ) suffered a broken leg after scoring Forests opener. Billy Bingham is another Luton player I remember.
I think Luton also disposed of both Town and Norwich on their way to Wembley although I need to check this out.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:44 pm

John O'Rourke was another.

Despite his ketb-crawling activities while at Spurs, David Pleat was a genuinely nice bloke. When he was playing for Luton he often came into my dad's newsagents shop - it was opposite the covered market where most of the traders, lile Pleat, were Jewish. He would always have time to chat with my brother and I, asking about our footballing exploits (my brother was a decent semi pro player eventually), encouraging us without ever telling about himself despite being a professional footballer.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:41 pm

These were a top league team a few years back. Can't remember exactly when but they also had an artificial field / prohibited away fans from coming in for a time. Having your biggest rivals as probably Watford isn't really saying much.

Kind of pleased for them to survive a relegation. Doubtful they can once again become an established top level team as before but can build on the feat of what they've achieved. Should provide morale for the new season. You know, they got away with something and can learn from the experience.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:16 pm

saint jude wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:41 pm
These were a top league team a few years back. Can't remember exactly when but they also had an artificial field / prohibited away fans from coming in for a time. Having your biggest rivals as probably Watford isn't really saying much.

Kind of pleased for them to survive a relegation. Doubtful they can once again become an established top level team as before but can build on the feat of what they've achieved. Should provide morale for the new season. You know, they got away with something and can learn from the experience.
indeed. The away fans ban - like the artificial pitch - was eventually prohibited. The loss of away ticket sales was more than compensated by the reduced police costs.

verulam

Post by verulam » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:02 pm

The ban on away fans followed a riot at the 6th round FA cup home game against Millwall. Millwall had asked for the match to be all ticket but Luton refused. This resulted in an away following twice the size of Millwall's average home crowd descending on Luton and its pubs late afternoon. The ensuing riot led by Millwall's Bushwackers and Luton's MIGs was regarded as one of the worst if not the worst during the 1980's.
Following this game Luton banned all away supporters and introduced a membership card system. Mrs Thatcher thought this was a good thing......

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:03 pm

verulam wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:02 pm
Mrs Thatcher thought this was a good thing......
She thought it was a good thing because she wanted to be the one who started the very bestest riots.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:51 pm

Once more it were a number of different London firms involved that night, not exclusively all down to the visitors. Fans from a variety of teams traveled there and caused trouble, probably a time-tested misconception that only Lions fans were responsible for whatever rampage occurred on and off the field. Not the first instance of such a thing, it won't be the last.

Soccer hooligan elements were probably near their zenith in the mid 1980s, including overseas. They tried a number of "solutions" including aforementioned fan bans for visitors / electric fence proposals (and implementation) and unique (at the time) fan passes and recognition. By the time Labour had come in and took out Conservative "leadership" issues and incidents had quietened considerably although sporadic moments did - and still do - continue to make news and awareness.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:06 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:03 pm
verulam wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:02 pm
Mrs Thatcher thought this was a good thing......
She thought it was a good thing because she wanted to be the one who started the very bestest riots.
😂😂😂
As much as I dislike Johnson, she is the PM I really truly hated....And still do. The only thing in her favour is that unlike BJ she had political beliefs and stuck to them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:11 am

I loved Maggie, best leader we've ever had in my lifetime for sure.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:42 am

Maggie certainly was marmite. I am more of Andys view, but she really caused a split in opinion