The Goalkeeper dilemma

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: The Goalkeeper dilemma

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Solely? In many a fans views you are arguably correct with regards to the thread title.

I’d say partly to blame, in terms of the overall failure.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:45 pm

It’d be nice to think that the GK situation was our main problem and if you solve that then it’s all hunky-dorey. But we were bullied so often by stronger teams, lacked any understanding as a team and was toothless in front of goal. Don’t think that had anything to do with the GKs.

We need to bring in a few players that can handle the physical side and bully back.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:39 pm

We f*cked up by getting on Toto Nsialas back after a few bad games, he was a strong and solid no nonsense CB who could bully players, we ditched him.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:58 am

The problem was Toto bullied players in the box and you felt he’d give a penalty away at any moment.... as well as being a walking red-card. He started the season as a bit of a cult hero and when he came back into the team became a real liability. It says something that he was subbed twice in the first half because he looked like he would get sent off. It was sad to see, but his performances were a shocker.
I think we need more physical players in midfield and up front more than defence. Apart from Downes, our midfielders easily get out-muscled.
I don’t think we can overhaul the squad with a restricted budget, but a few shrewd signings could make a difference.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:41 am

There’s going to be plenty of free players out there right now . We just have to get the right ones in .

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:49 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:41 am
There’s going to be plenty of free players out there right now . We just have to get the right ones in .
Our problem could be offloading players first before we can bring players in. I’m sure we pay better than most other League clubs and players might prefer to sit on their contracts here.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:56 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:49 am
I’m sure we pay better than most other League clubs and players might prefer to sit on their contracts here.
And even though CV19 hasn’t been great, hopefully it sorts that problem and businesses who week on week are LOSING money CANNOT have employees on ludicrous contracts and still be great payers.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:26 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:49 am

Our problem could be offloading players first before we can bring players in. I’m sure we pay better than most other League clubs and players might prefer to sit on their contracts here.
I've said the same thing so many times. You can't get rid of players who no one else wants. And as long as they are here, we have too large a squad to bring in new blood.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:48 pm

I think we have 20 odd players whose co tracts end in 2021, so mass clear out not possible until after the Wages cap comes in ( assuming we’re still in league one ). Couldn’t write it could you 🙄.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:55 pm

Is Mark Warburton still a fan of Judge?

Maybe he’ll take Judge for free.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:18 pm

Judge was garbage, I was one of his biggest critics, however at this level he should shine and I cannot imagine he will be anywhere near as bad again, I can see him being an asset this time around tbh.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:15 pm

I’d like to think you’re right , but on the other hand you almost wonder why Brentford dumped him 2-3 years ago now .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:04 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:15 pm
I’d like to think you’re right , but on the other hand you almost wonder why Brentford dumped him 2-3 years ago now .
Brentford tend to prefer a much younger squad and develop younger talent to sell on, I suspect Alan Judge no longer fitted this profile.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:39 am

I had really high hopes for Judge.

Looking back, I think he needed to be played behind the strikers. And not out wide. I believe one of the reasons he came here was because he wasn’t getting games and, when he did, he was shunted out wide. I think that’s how Lambert persuaded him. That he’d be a number 10 and he’d be top dog and we’d build a team around him. In retrospect, it would have been better if we’d taken the 400k QPR offered us for him.
Who knows - maybe he’ll come good, but if we get an offer for him (unlikely) - I’d take it. He must be one of the big earners.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:39 pm

Judge himself always maintained he wanted a central role...but of course didn’t get it.

Problem for him now is I think Town are going more with younger players and we have the likes of Dobra and Al Mizouni who like to run at defences, so Judge for all his seniority and acclaimed skill sets , will need to up his game considerably from last season, where frankly , he was a major disappointment and one of the many seniors that failed to “ show” last season. We shall see I guess.