Transfer Rumours

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Post Reply
User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22344
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:44 am

Jackson is still under contract for a year with an option of an additional year so no great importance to tie him down on anything else yet anyway, I've always felt Town fans underestimate KJ, seen a lot worse.

tangfastic
Posts: 3009
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by tangfastic » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:44 am
Jackson is still under contract for a year with an option of an additional year so no great importance to tie him down on anything else yet anyway, I've always felt Town fans underestimate KJ, seen a lot worse.
I thought Jackson had some good games last season. One of the better players. Certainly his speed is a great asset. If he’s chasing a good through ball then he’ll usually beat a defender.

I do feel he’s a bit limited, though. Can’t win headers and not so good with his back to goal.

I have no problem with him as a player in the squad and it says something when a Championship clubs wants to sign him, but I’d like us to get better with the business side. By not signing a new contract, he wants to make himself a more attractive proposition to go to another club for peanuts or as a freebie in the future. That’s not in the club’s interests and we’ll end up the loser.
If he’s not totally committed and has an eye on a move elsewhere, then best to move on now when there’s interest.

hallamblue
Posts: 25089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:15 pm

Can see his pace fitting well at Coventry , a quick side from memory . Bet they’d play him wide .

Price tag ? I’m today ridiculous market Id slap a £3m price tag on him

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3014
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by number 9 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:16 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:57 pm
I have no problem with him as a player in the squad and it says something when a Championship clubs wants to sign him, but I’d like us to get better with the business side. By not signing a new contract, he wants to make himself a more attractive proposition to go to another club for peanuts or as a freebie in the future. That’s not in the club’s interests and we’ll end up the loser.
If he’s not totally committed and has an eye on a move elsewhere, then best to move on now when there’s interest.
Interesting view. If indeed we do sell Jackson, I'd at least hope a replacement is identified prior to the sale. Obviously not ideal to be reduced to only one senior striker no matter what the circumstances. I still think Freddie will do ok in league one if we keep him, but he's not a strong second striker.

tangfastic
Posts: 3009
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by tangfastic » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:39 am

number 9 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:16 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:57 pm
I have no problem with him as a player in the squad and it says something when a Championship clubs wants to sign him, but I’d like us to get better with the business side. By not signing a new contract, he wants to make himself a more attractive proposition to go to another club for peanuts or as a freebie in the future. That’s not in the club’s interests and we’ll end up the loser.
If he’s not totally committed and has an eye on a move elsewhere, then best to move on now when there’s interest.
Interesting view. If indeed we do sell Jackson, I'd at least hope a replacement is identified prior to the sale. Obviously not ideal to be reduced to only one senior striker no matter what the circumstances. I still think Freddie will do ok in league one if we keep him, but he's not a strong second striker.
Irrespective of whether Jackson goes, we’d need a striker.

In the EADT, Stuart Watson has posted some possible options. Not sure how realistic some of those are. I guess there’s plenty of players out there now out of contract or coming into their last year on a contract.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/strikers- ... -1-6770705

I think we could do with someone who could hold the ball up as well as score. Jackson worked out when we were able to break quickly and use his speed, but, so often, everything was slowed down and were forced to punt the ball long. It’s still hard to say what kind of style of play Lambert wants as we changed personnel every game.

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4500
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 am

I don't think there is anything strange about Jackson's decision. We must be one of the 7 or 8 favourites for promotion next season and in a year the same contract extension negotiation could be taking place with us in the Championship and on much better terms.

I would do the same, it's nothing to do with loyalty, just common sense.

And by the way I like the way we are trying to extend these contracts at League 1 rates (presumably). This might make life in the Championship more sustainable if we get there and that is what we are shooting for right?

hallamblue
Posts: 25089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:11 am

I think if this Club is REALLY serious about getting out of this division this season , then for once Evans must be prepared to take more of a calculated risk , and be prepared to spend some money . If that Bristol striker is a good option and he’s costing £2m , then we must be prepared to pay it ( we paid £1.75m for Jackson!!) . Also we must command much better fees fir our players . We tend to be a soft touch IMO and gift them .

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22344
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:24 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 am
I don't think there is anything strange about Jackson's decision. We must be one of the 7 or 8 favourites for promotion next season and in a year the same contract extension negotiation could be taking place with us in the Championship and on much better terms.

I would do the same, it's nothing to do with loyalty, just common sense.

And by the way I like the way we are trying to extend these contracts at League 1 rates (presumably). This might make life in the Championship more sustainable if we get there and that is what we are shooting for right?
Agree with that entirely, spot on.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22344
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:56 pm

TWTD understands the Blues are among a number of clubs showing interest in free agent former Derby County skipper Richard Keogh.

The 33-year-old centre-half was sacked by the Rams last October for gross misconduct having suffered a season-ending knee injury when a passenger ex-Town loanee Tom Lawrence’s car in the drink-drive crash which led to two-year driving bans for both the Wales international and team-mate Mason Bennett.

Keogh’s appeal against his sacking was rejected by Derby but he has taken his case to the EFL with a hearing to be held by an independent panel.

The injury - anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligament damage - was expected to keep the Republic of Ireland international out of action for around a year and it’s not clear when he will be ready to return.

Nevertheless, it’s believed a number of clubs, including the Blues, are showing interest in the one-time Bristol City and Stoke City man.

Whether a move to League One would appeal remains to be seen and it seems likely that some of the other interested parties could offer him Championship football.

If Keogh does join the Blues it would be a return to where the Harlow-born defender began his career.

Keogh was an academy schoolboy and ballboy at Portman Road in the early 2000s before being released at 16 when he joined Stoke.

Another centre-half is high on Town manager Paul Lambert’s summer wish list with free agents likely to be where the Blues look to make most of their recruits.

Another crock !!! Would be decent other than that, will no doubt head to championship anyway.

tangfastic
Posts: 3009
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by tangfastic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:26 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:56 pm
TWTD understands the Blues are among a number of clubs showing interest in free agent former Derby County skipper Richard Keogh.

The 33-year-old centre-half was sacked by the Rams last October for gross misconduct having suffered a season-ending knee injury when a passenger ex-Town loanee Tom Lawrence’s car in the drink-drive crash which led to two-year driving bans for both the Wales international and team-mate Mason Bennett.

Keogh’s appeal against his sacking was rejected by Derby but he has taken his case to the EFL with a hearing to be held by an independent panel.

The injury - anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligament damage - was expected to keep the Republic of Ireland international out of action for around a year and it’s not clear when he will be ready to return.

Nevertheless, it’s believed a number of clubs, including the Blues, are showing interest in the one-time Bristol City and Stoke City man.

Whether a move to League One would appeal remains to be seen and it seems likely that some of the other interested parties could offer him Championship football.

If Keogh does join the Blues it would be a return to where the Harlow-born defender began his career.

Keogh was an academy schoolboy and ballboy at Portman Road in the early 2000s before being released at 16 when he joined Stoke.

Another centre-half is high on Town manager Paul Lambert’s summer wish list with free agents likely to be where the Blues look to make most of their recruits.

Another crock !!! Would be decent other than that, will no doubt head to championship anyway.
His fitness would be my major concern. He’s 33 and obviously had that issue with the drink driving incident, but I’ve always thought he’s pretty decent. And a ready-made captain. Just maybe too much of a risk after coming back from a serious knee injury. Our history with injury-prone players is bad so wouldn’t want to add to that.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3014
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by number 9 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:19 pm


tangfastic
Posts: 3009
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by tangfastic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:24 pm

They’re welcome to Toto. Can’t see a future for him here.

If Norwood can get and stay fit, I’d hope he’d remain here.

hallamblue
Posts: 25089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:47 pm

I think we're in for a good season from a fully fit Norwood. We didn't see anywhere near his best last season
due to that groin injury. Wed be absolutely mad to let him go having nursed him through a one season of injury. WE should try and keep hold of both strikers tbh. I know Jackson has a year and an add on year to go , but is this rendered useless if a Club matches our get out valuation?

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22344
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:32 pm

If the day comes when we are a selling club to Dundee Utd I think I will call it a day.

User avatar
ashfordblue
Posts: 2347
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:53 pm

How about Forfar Athletic BM ????

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22344
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:43 pm

That's different :lol:

hallamblue
Posts: 25089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:08 pm


User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22344
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:20 pm

Can't see that ever happening tbh

hallamblue
Posts: 25089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:33 pm

Question is though, WHY do Dundee think they can even get another Clubs main striker on a loan deal ?? What’s going on behind the scenes I wonder at PR?

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18347
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:42 pm

Two answers there, Hallam........, I wouldn't think anything untoward is going on at PR..... Which leads to Mickey Mellon no doubt just chancing his arm. Norwood was a class act at Tranmere in League Two. Dundee United, (Imo) are probably lower English League One and definitely League Two class......, and Mellon got the very best out the guy. Definitely rather he stayed and proved his ability at Ipswich Town but I think he'd be a problem for SPL defences.

Oh, and by the way, Hallam ma dear ------> Dundee are in the Championship keeping the Jambos company! 👍👌

hallamblue
Posts: 25089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:10 am

Lol , thanks fir the insider info on Dundee, marko 😁👍....
I just hope we can hang onto Norwood cod I think he’s going to have a really good season now his injury is sorted . I hope Town can keep Jackson too because they compliment one another . With KVY bombing down the wing and firing those crosses in, I think we can hurt teams this season. We had too many season long injuries to our best players last season and didn’t do ourselves justice .

User avatar
nicscreamer
Posts: 2041
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:53 pm
Location: In front of my computer
Contact:

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:40 am

Sounds like Garbutt is off to Sunderland! Gutted to be honest, you can bet your house on him scoring against us next season with a beautiful free kick

hallamblue
Posts: 25089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:15 am

All about the £££££££ innit!

User avatar
nicscreamer
Posts: 2041
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:53 pm
Location: In front of my computer
Contact:

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:57 am

Yep, suppose we cant blame him if hes getting offered more money. But gutting all the same. I liked him

tangfastic
Posts: 3009
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by tangfastic » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:58 am

I didn’t really think Garbutt would come back here, but surprised he signed for Sunderland. They must still have a bit of cash.

Garbutt reputedly was on a 5 year contract at Everton on 28k per week. Would have thought if he was League 1 bound and he’d made his money, he might have chosen us, instead of Sunderland. Doubt if Sunderland can offer that much more.

Sweet left foot and good going forward, but was weak defensively

tangfastic
Posts: 3009
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by tangfastic » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:02 am

A bit weird this Dundee Utd rumour. Doesn’t add up - unless Norwood is unsettled. He’s on good money here and not sure if Dundee Utd can match that.

Why would we loan him out? Unless we need desperately to cut the wage bill or there’s issues behind the scenes with him.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22344
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:16 am

I don't think we have any intention of loaning or selling Norwood and not a chance those Arabs could pay him same as us, it's Mellon being a Melon I think.

User avatar
derick_ipsw
Posts: 3376
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: CHESTER

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:54 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:57 am
Yep, suppose we cant blame him if hes getting offered more money. But gutting all the same. I liked him
Just been on Sunderland website and Sunderland newspapers, There is no mention of Garbutt signing or about to sign. It only says they have lost 10.58 million for the year. Do you have a link?

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18347
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:11 pm

A load of Garb-ish then?

User avatar
nicscreamer
Posts: 2041
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:53 pm
Location: In front of my computer
Contact:

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:15 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:54 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:57 am
Yep, suppose we cant blame him if hes getting offered more money. But gutting all the same. I liked him
Just been on Sunderland website and Sunderland newspapers, There is no mention of Garbutt signing or about to sign. It only says they have lost 10.58 million for the year. Do you have a link?
The Gurus at Facebook and Twitter.......

Post Reply