Salary cap ...

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Salary cap ...

Post by hallamblue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:46 am

Well that’s us well and truly stuffed now then !

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/league-one ... -1-6780742

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Salary cap ...

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:02 am

Would explain why we aren't buying anyone.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:47 am

It shouldn’t come into force straight away so if we sign someone now then it doesn’t matter.

That’s apparently why Holy and Nolan were given new contracts - so it would pre-date the start of the salary cap.

We’ve got a bunch of contracts finishing in a year’s time - so I guess those contracts are where we can cut costs by not renewing. Mind you,I bet certain players like Bishop and Huws suddenly go into world-beater form so we’re looking at offering them new contracts. We always get suckered in.

I’m biased, but the caps should be based on revenue, like what the Posh boss says. If we can pull in 20 K fans- why should we have the same cap as a club that pulls in 3k?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:25 am

Reading the report on Sky it says if voted in it will come into effect immediately.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:52 am

Bluemike it can't come into force immediately as there are existing player contracts that have to be fulfilled. It would be illegal to require clubs to break contracts that they have already in place. I think what they mean by immediately is that measures will start immediately. That is to say that clubs with a current budget above 2.5m would not be allowed to increase it and there would be a phased plan in place to reduce over x no of seasons to the maximum.

One thing is for sure there would be a scramble for the best U21 talent.

We MUST get promoted this year. Maybe they should just take the three biggest clubs in terms of player budget and promote them now. Then they can all dabble around happily with their 2.5 million to their heart's content.

Would make more sense to take the highest current playing budget and make that the maximum with maybe a reduction of £1m per year for the next x years. Otherwise there will be legal challenges for sure.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:12 am

I am not sure as to what they mean by immediately so you could well be right but for what it's worth like you I don't believe it will be voted in anyhow, although a squad of 20 players all on 2,400 quid is fine by me and it could well be it actually works in our favour if our youth system continues bearing fruit.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:05 pm

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/how-salary ... -1-6782272

Good piece there explaining how this season at least we have nothing to fear from the salary cap (if it's voted into force). This is because the transitional arrangements would give us an adjusted salary budget of around £1.2m for this season and 17 qualifying players, so well able to add more players.

This is because all players with existing contracts (17 of them over 21 years old) would be counted as receiving the average salary for League 1 which is around £1300 per week and this would be until contract expiry.

Next year could be a challenge though. We have to go up this season.
Last edited by Dubai Blue on Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:11 pm

It seems like we can get five players in paying them 5 grand a week each so no problem apart from the fact that it seems players don't want to move here 😫 Keogh going to MK done for less money it seems.😱

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:23 pm

Shows what I know. They've voted for it!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:32 pm

Shows what I know too, this season is promotion and nothing less.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:38 pm

How will the cap affect teams being relegated from the Championship? I mean players will still be under contract and on higher earnings.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:11 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:38 pm
How will the cap affect teams being relegated from the Championship? I mean players will still be under contract and on higher earnings.
Moving forwards, clubs that are relegated will be permitted to cap all contracts at the divisional average prior to the club’s relegation until those contracts expire.

“An ‘overrun’ concept is also included if a club’s total squad salary payments exceed the cap by up to 5 per cent, whereby dependent on the percentage level of the overrun, a financial penalty [reportedly £3] would be payable for every £1 in excess.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:33 pm

As usual the EFL and PL have got it all wrong . The very fact we are talking about wage caps is BECAUSE of the ridiculous money paid to players in the PL and Championship. They are effectively PL’s 1&2 In everything but name.

We can’t trust Evans or Lambert to make the right business decisions so I’d be very surprised to us promoted .
We are now IMO consigned to Division Three football for the foreseeable future. Next season will see us morph into a true Division Three outfit as we will dump the overpaid has beens when their contracts run down and we will give away ( we’ll have no choice), what Crown Jewels we still have ( Woolfie, Lankester, Downes, Dobra, Mizouni et al).

A very very depressing scene.......

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:56 pm

A poster on TWTD posted this . If he has got that right , this salary cap actually actively disadvantages the bigger clubs....how can this be lawful?

“ So when this comes into full effect the situation would be as follows;

Club A has an average gate of 4,000 @ £15 a head over 23 games = gate receipts of £1.38m
Club B has an average gate of 20,000 @ £20 a head over 23 games = gate receipts of £9.20m

Club A is still allowed to spend 81% more than its gate receipts on players
Club B is now only allowed to spend 27% of its gate receipts on players ”

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:04 am

Like everything in society it appears we have to reset stuff to the lowest common denominator, it's bollocks in my opinion.

As per Liz's example above, it should be based on turnover, otherwise L1/L2 teams are just going to become giant academies/feeder clubs for teams in the higher divisions.

I do see a lot of litigation inbound as the bigger L1 clubs structure 'bonuses', or so call 'free loans' from higher divisions in order to give them back the edge etc

I think the fun has only just begun.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:14 am

What will the club do with all the spare cash ? Does this mean ME does not have to invest his 5m every year? Do ticket prices drop ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:36 am

It does feel the EFL is trying to crack a nut with a sledgehammer. The EFL is responsible in the past for not clamping down on clubs spending beyond their means and now they rush this through and Town get caught up in this due to their mismanagement - or letting clubs get away with it. If we’re budgeting within our means in relation to our gate receipts, then we should be applauded for it, not punished.
I don’t see how you can impose a set budget for all clubs when you’ve got some clubs getting 3k fans and at the other end you’ve got Town and Sunderland pulling in 20k and 30k fans. The smaller clubs who’ve had to rely on cash injections from owners to keep them in business must be laughing. Their business model is not sustainable if an owner has to keep keep on ploughing in money. They’re getting rewarded by dragging bigger, sustainable clubs down to their level.
If a small club gets promoted due to this and then finds itself competing in the Championship where the budget is set to 18 million then they’re likely to overspend beyond their means and face huge debts. It could mean their time in the Championship is fleeting and they could then plummet down the leagues trying to recover.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:55 am

Ando wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:14 am
What will the club do with all the spare cash ? Does this mean ME does not have to invest his 5m every year? Do ticket prices drop ?
I wondered about that as well. I did read that perhaps management and coaching staff would be exempt from the salary cap.
Maybe we’ll need that extra money to pay Lambert and his coaching staff off if he gets fired.
In the longer term, could we use that extra cash to improve our coaching and player recruitment to get a bit of an advantage?
We don’t seem like we improve players once they arrive here. Maybe better back room and coaching staff is a way to get ahead in this climate.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:10 am

I think the PFA are going to ensure this gets very messy indeed and for once I agree with them, it seems to me the punishment isn't all that great if you overspend anyway and I can see the bigger clubs doing just that, I don't think this cap is going to be carried through.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:18 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:10 am
I think the PFA are going to ensure this gets very messy indeed and for once I agree with them, it seems to me the punishment isn't all that great if you overspend anyway and I can see the bigger clubs doing just that, I don't think this cap is going to be carried through.
From the players perspective- they surely must be against it.

Players in League 1 and League 2 aren’t top earners and a footballers working life is short and unreliable. I’ve got no problems with these lower league players earning what they can to set themselves up for the next stage of their lives - as opposed to setting themselves up for life in luxury ( PL players, for example).

Can’t see this plan has been thought through properly.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:46 am

I can honestly see a players strike on the horizon if this nonsense isn't revoked, having said that the more I think about it the more I think it may well help us, let's be honest we have always prided ourselves on youth and how we seem able to unearth the odd gem here and there and despite what some may say they have still been coming through consistently, I don't see the Rochdale's and Accrington's of this world having the same luxury. Thankfully we'll go up next time around anyway.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:30 pm

Going forward it might well help. But for THIS season we are stuffed as far as I can see it.
We have a massive squad, over half of which are still in contract. So we can’t offload them. Their wages absorb the salary capped levels , so we can’t therefore bring in new players. No one is going to want our journeyman on high wages, and we can’t pay them off. The only players likely to leave are those better players who we want to keep, but will end up selling for bugger all fees as per usual. We are utter crap at negotiating decent deals for our better players in the main.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:03 pm

But I am not seeing how we are stuffed for this season ? As I understand it aren't they saying players under contract will be classed as earning £1,400 per week ? If so that is well below the 2,400 which I believes is the limit for 20 players to earn for a year ? I think this season is a bit of a free hit, after that I feel we may be stuffed.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Can you imagine if they tried to put restrictions in similar proportions in the premiership 😱

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:28 pm

Hate to say it, but is Lambert the one to get us promoted under the salary cap? He's always whining about deals not getting done. Can he develop our youth? Who could replace him? I know, it sounds like a broken record. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:24 pm

Thought it was Klugs job to develop the youth FOR Lambert / or a manager?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:51 pm

...depends how you define develop youth.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:57 pm

Definition would be; “At the beginning”. Klug? Otherwise what’s the point of Bryan? On the apparent instruction of Bryan Klug, they can be good enough for making the bench in a senior match. I suppose from then on it’s up to a manager. But I’d say the onus is on Klug to develop the talented youth...... again..... otherwise what’s the point?

In fact, forget the above. Just get rid of Bryan. Useless c*nt.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:15 pm

A revolt appears to be gaining momentum lol....

Posted on Sunderland forum and linked on TWTD ....

“Interesting thread started there by a Portsmouth fan suggesting a boycott of the 17* clubs who voted the salary cap in. The idea seems to have been generally well received.

I must say, I quite like the idea. We've been screwed over twice now by the smaller clubs in this league and the argument is why give them revenue and the benefit of our large away following?

Also, credit to their poster Scootsie who posted:

It’s like going to the strippers with a load of cash and being told you can’t see any tits cos nee one else in there can afford them.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/

*Maybe give Peterborough a pass as they voted to play on and MacAnthony at least tried to get the cap based on turnover.

Thoughts?“

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:16 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:28 pm
Hate to say it, but is Lambert the one to get us promoted under the salary cap? He's always whining about deals not getting done. Can he develop our youth? Who could replace him? I know, it sounds like a broken record. :lol:
Think he’s getting his excuses in early #9 !