Salary cap ...

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Salary cap ...

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:32 pm

ok, how about Garven ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Actually, I forgot Matt Clark. Part of a swap deal with Adam Webster where we had to pay in addition nearly a million quid for Webster. But we should have received add-ons for Clark when he was sold on.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:39 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:32 pm
ok, how about Garven ?
😀 wish i didn’t start this now.
Left in the year 2010 BW (before Wickham). Transfer fee of 1.1 million.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:20 pm

A slight deviation but what’s the highest fee we’ve ever collected for a Town Academy player ?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:41 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:20 pm
A slight deviation but what’s the highest fee we’ve ever collected for a Town Academy player ?
I would guess at 8.5 million we got for Wickham.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:36 am

Getting back to the salary cap, I’m still amazed how the EFL have implemented this now. And not phased it in.

If it had to be instantly applied, why didn’t they do this before the transfer window opened? Clubs have aLready bought players before the salary cap. I don’t see how this is lawful. If you’ve got players under contract for another year or two, clubs are under obligation to honour those contracts, yet they’re also forced to offload players otherwise they’ll be fined or penalised.

I can’t help feel the EFL are using the COVID crisis as an excuse to hurry this through. And the EFL are ultimately responsible for mismanaging and not enforcing the FFP system. Also, the idea of giving clubs the vote on this is so wrong. The reason we’ve had FFP and now salary caps is because many clubs have been irresponsible and consistently breaking the rules - and yet the EFL give clubs the vote. It’s like a judge in a court of law asking law breakers how they should be sentenced.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:24 am

Actually Tangfastic they are phasing it in. Qualifying players who have existing contracts above the league average are being counted at around £113k per year I believe.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:01 pm

That’s correct DB 👍

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:59 am

That’s a very decent point in that the existing contracts are being taken as an average, but this has now been dumped on us and we’ve got very little leeway to offload players and also buy in players.
If the EFL had said this system would start in a year’s time, then it would at least give clubs a chance to trim squads and budget accordingly. And smaller clubs also rely on selling on players to keep them ticking over. We, for example, haven’t got any wiggle room to pay fees to other clubs - we’ve just got to bring in freebies out of contract. So they’ll be a lot of players sitting on their contracts, unable to leave their club as other clubs can’t pay fees or can’t offload players to free up the budget.
It’s just weird that the EFL have been very negligent and lenient towards offending clubs with FFP, but then gone the other way and become very draconian and hard-hitting with the salary cap system....and pretty much applied to this to every club, whether they’ve offended or not. We’ve been a club that has pretty much respected the FFP ( or Evans gives this excuse not to spend), but we’re being punished for it.

Whatever... enough whinging. Have to take it on the chin. Looking forward to football starting again.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:16 am

Spot on Tang and this could be exactly why we are looking at a 34 yo Stephen Ward as opposed to Luke Garbutt.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:34 pm

I guess another drawback to the salary cap is it’s not worth fantasizing about a deep pocketed buyer coming in to save the Town. I’m afraid we are what we are folks. No point crying about lack of investment anymore. I’m not finding comfort in Lambert being the savior either. Dear oh dear. :astroll: