Ollie looks useful to me ....

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Ollie looks useful to me ....

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:28 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ollie looks useful to me ....

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:51 pm

Well those highlights certainly make him look better that the reports I have read have done, I lost count of the number of goals he got by ghosting in to stick a leg out ahead of a defender and aerially he looks very adept too, sharp around the box.

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:02 pm

Was a bit sceptical when I first saw the news break last week but he is certainly different to what we have and is what I think most supporters wanted a target man. Let’s hope he can win the aerials and hold the ball up a bit when played in to him.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:14 pm

Wow he looks too good for us. :shock:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:41 pm

I like the fact he’s IN the box doing his damage . Just imagine him on the end of JVY crosses 👍

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:04 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:41 pm
I like the fact he’s IN the box doing his damage . Just imagine him on the end of JVY crosses 👍
That is crucial.

I've said many times before that the way to get promotion is to attack. At our best that's what we did last season. But those occasions were too few.

Look at how many of those goals were scored with 4 or 5 attacking players in the box. And then try and count all the times (excluding set pieces) when we did that last season. That's why we need to adopt a completely new approach next season if we are to achieve anything.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:41 pm

I completely agree and I can’t understand why Lambert didn’t do it ( unless injuries to key players scuppered that approach ), I don’t know 🤷‍♀️.

But we do have so many attacking players in our squad I can’t see how he can’t adopt an attacking mantra !

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:41 pm
I completely agree and I can’t understand why Lambert didn’t do it ( unless injuries to key players scuppered that approach ), I don’t know 🤷‍♀️.

But we do have so many attacking players in our squad I can’t see how he can’t adopt an attacking mantra !
We can hope. It would be typical I'd we started playing entertaining football when there's no one there to see it 😂😂😂

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:39 am

We haven’t had a decent target man since Murphy. Wouldn’t expect him to weigh in with a hatful of goals, but as long as he can make life difficult for defenders and bring in other players, then he’ll be OK.

And how many times last season did we hit hopeful balls from defence onto their CB’s head or into a crowded box where we got nowhere? Seems to score most of his goals in the six yard box, so as long as we can put in decent crosses then he’ll give us something extra. Maybe someone who can make a long hoof or a hopeful cross into a good ball.

Not going to get too excited, but we desperately need a big target man up front. Maybe Lambo thought we were League One’s Man City and could just pass our way out of the League.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Can he score with more than one touch? Every single goal one touch. 14 goals 77 games, not a great return, can we really carry a forward who won't score much and probably isn't good enough on the ball to add much else other than height?

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:00 pm

Well when he gets selected as a CB at least you will know we have an attacking threat from set pieces :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:34 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:41 pm
.....an attacking mantra !
That a snake? Sounds reptile-like.

Lambert: “Right, the TWTD-ers were correct. Get Ollie off. Get the snake on.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:07 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:21 pm
Can he score with more than one touch? Every single goal one touch. 14 goals 77 games, not a great return, can we really carry a forward who won't score much and probably isn't good enough on the ball to add much else other than height?
It makes Sears strike rate look pathetic

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:38 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:07 pm
Ricco wrote:
It makes Sears strike rate look pathetic
He had been out with a back injury , then lost his place to Harrison and another striker combination and had to make do with cameo appearances as sub. The fact that he only takes one touch and then scores puts him above Sears for me. He seems deadly in that box area.

I think , give him the ball in the box and he'll score !

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:41 pm

Ricco wrote:
We’ve got to be realistic here. He’s not being brought here as a marquee signing. He’s a freebie and we haven’t got much options with the salary cap. I think his duty is to assist others.... win headers, flick ons, rough up CB’s, hold the ball up and bring others into play - as well as a goal threat. And I think he’ll be mainly a bench player. He could bring something useful to the team as opposed to being the new messiah. He might turn Freddie into a 30 goal a season striker.