West Ham match.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

Re: West Ham match.

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:16 pm

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:15 pm

Sort of 50/50 reading this. Some encouraging stuff in ITNO1's post......, but that result? At PR? Not good. Thought the old badge on the top would've inspired them. Maybe thats why Huws was shooting from 35 constantly........, trying his John Wark skills.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 pm

patthegimp wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:00 pm
Chambers needs to be at best on the bench
Nsiala really not much better. If Ndaba is too inexperienced and Wilson too injury prone then we need a new centre back quickly.
I’m not sure Wilson is too injury-prone. He’s been available for most of his time here. I wouldn’t be too unhappy about him partnering Woolf. But Wilson is pretty basic as a player. I can’t see him adopting this pass from the back style well. He likes to get his laces through the ball.
Ndaba and Woolf seem most suited to the passing from the back, but can’t see us going with a couple of 20/21 year olds.

If we could offload a few players I’d like us to get a new CB, but think we’ll struggle to get rid of players.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:49 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:38 pm
All in all apart from some dire defending not too shabby. Lots to be positive about i feel. The defence is the problem, for me as much as i like chambers and he has been a great servant to the club it was obvious last season that he is out of form. The ball over his head for the first and and mistake for the 3rd was not great defending. His experience is fantastic for the club but time to start on the bench now.Playing out from the back does not suit ipswich, we are not barcalona! Our midfeild and forwards have decent enough pace, get the ball up to them and let them run. As i said though, when town do get the ball out of our end we look ok, and have more than enough for league 1, but its now down to PL to get the best out of his squad. Maybe he has too many options which is why he rotates frequently but in my opinion its time to stick to a starting 11. Get the team playing as one , get some understanding and trust in each other and build on it. I know its easy to sit here and talk the talk and i know im never going to even manage my boys under 7s team let alone anything else but surely its plain to see that our playets dont really have an understanding of style or tactics due to lack of playing time together. Its not a rant, or finger pointing at chambo, quite the opposite. In a nutshell, stick with 11 and sort the back 4 ( well 2 cbs) and i really think we will be ok if the players can stay fit. 2 pre season gamrs against really good squads and apart from a few decent goals and some poor defending they did well. After watching these two games im actually looking forward to this season now after being totally uninterested at the end of last season.
Thanks for that No1. A good honest assessment and if I may say quite encouraging to read. It sounds like we played some decent stuff too just as we did against Colchester and Spurs, friendlies mean little in terms of results but we've played 2 prem teams.
For the record on what I've seen it should be Woolfy and Ndaba at CB, now that would be brave.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks for that IT#1 😁👍
Tbh I’d say your report is very encouraging given that I don’t think it was our strongest 11. We seem to have trouble playing out of our defence ( judging by what others have said).

Of our CBS I’d say,
Chambers is comfortable on the ball and is prone to errors.
Woolfie is comfortable on the ball.
Nsiala isn’t and is prone to errors
Ndaba - don’t know enough about him and is inexperienced
Wilson : ZoW Z type of CB ?

So I’d say we need another CB like Woolfie but more experienced. Get that player in and I honestly think we’ll be in with a shout .

But as you say, PL Must settle in an 11 and stick with them.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:12 pm

Anybody heard who the lower league opposition we are playing is, in a friendly on Saturday?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:16 pm

Strange comments from PL regarding Woolfenden needing to start to get on it, add to that he's praising Nsiala to the hilt, wouldn't bet against a Chambo/Toto combo against Bristol Rovers on 5th Sept.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:28 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:16 pm
Strange comments from PL regarding Woolfenden needing to start to get on it, add to that he's praising Nsiala to the hilt, wouldn't bet against a Chambo/Toto combo against Bristol Rovers on 5th Sept.
I thought that it was weird, too.... but I’d take that as a bit of motivation for Woolf.

He’s also talking up Drinan, too. Two players I think he might be keen to offload on loan. Maybe he’s putting them in the shop window.

At the end of the day, it’s Lambert’s reputation and job on the line. If he wants to trust Toto instead of our best CB.... then good luck to him.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:14 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:12 pm
Anybody heard who the lower league opposition we are playing is, in a friendly on Saturday?
They were saying on TWTD it was away at Cambridge, PL said those not playing today would be playing Saturday and Norwood and Hawkins might take part.

Tommy Smith has signed a two year deal with Colchester.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:57 am

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/202 ... ham-united some low lights of yesterday's game.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:58 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:14 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:12 pm
They were saying on TWTD it was away at Cambridge, PL said those not playing today would be playing Saturday and Norwood and Hawkins might take part.

Tommy Smith has signed a two year deal with Colchester.
Thanks for that KB.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:31 am

First chance I've had to see the highlights and indeed the defending was so poor at times, Chambers throughout struggled big time, his days look up, I didn't really think Holy did too much wrong id I'm honest , some good saves first half.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:50 am

Focusing on goals only.

First: not out of play on byeline
Second: was like a training sesh for WHU

Sears: Threading the eye of a needle. That was a great finish. Hope he stays fit so he can prove he’s at the very least, a league One rated striker.

Third: How that isn’t a 6ft 8inch keepers ball is f**king anyone’s guess...... sorry but that’s the most annoying of the goals. 🤬
Fourth: Well, best forget that. Not just Chambers, but everyone dicking about with it.

Gladly people saw the entire game and the general consensus is that things are looking ok. Can only have faith in their opinions.

Edit to add: Really am loving this seasons shirt. Whoever had the idea for the 40 year anniversary badge deserves a knighthood :D 👍👏👏👏

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:14 am

I need to watch the 3rd again Marko, Holy really bad ? Admittedly I was watching it craftily at work.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:53 am

Yes, I’ve since fast forwarded it to watch again.
I don’t think it’s every keepers ball but in my opinion that’s Holys every day of the week. To be honest, I reckon most keepers would’ve anticipated that type of outswinging cross and made a move way earlier.
He definitely did keep the score low due to some point blank stops throughout the game according to full match reports, but that third goal ball was his...... with ease really.
40 years ago, a 5ft 11” Paul Cooper may have struggled to pluck that from the air, but I’d expect Holy to grab all of “those type” of crosses. (Not all crosses, just to be clear)

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:58 am

If Chambo wants to squeeze another playing year out, time to give the team captaincy to someone else. Give it to Ward or Downes who should be nailed on starters. It’s got to happen sometime, so why not now. Might even improve Chambers performance if he can focus on his playing and it’s not good to pick a player purely on being the official captain.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:00 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:53 am
I don’t think it’s every keepers ball but in my opinion that’s Holys every day of the week. To be honest, I reckon most keepers would’ve anticipated that type of outswinging cross and made a move way earlier.
He definitely did keep the score low due to some point blank stops throughout the game according to full match reports, but that third goal ball was his...... with ease really.
40 years ago, a 5ft 11” Paul Cooper may have struggled to pluck that from the air, but I’d expect Holy to grab all of “those type” of crosses. (Not all crosses, just to be clear)
He did seem to give up on it and then found himself in no-mans land.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:32 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:00 am
marko69 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:53 am
He did seem to give up on it and then found himself in no-mans land.
And that’s worrying. And if there WASN’T a clause to play the other guy on loan last season..... maybe Lambert sees a lethargy in him. Certainly on a couple occasions last season on highlights I was left scratching my head on some of Tomas Holy’s movements.
Ability defo there...... may have a concentration issue.
And so Lambert says, “concentrate on this , Tomas! It’s a bench.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:18 pm

Trouble is Cornell's concentration in the spurs game was equally as bad.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:31 pm

Really? Haven’t witnessed any of the Spurs match. Not good.

But certainly not all bad..... he (Holy) was decent for way more than 3/4 of the match if reports are accurate.
I was only bringing that 3rd goal into question. I’d actually prefer Holy MISSED a point blanker as opposed that 3rd. A lot of luck involved in point blank shots, but crosses similar to the one creating the 3rd Wet Spam goal, in my opinion, MUST be Holys and Cornell’s.

Just to add....... I’m quite harsh on keepers. Way more than half of Hibs supporters love Ofir Marciano.
One of the worst Hibs keepers in my humble and no doubt wrong opinion. Awful Marciano the Flapper.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:40 pm

I'm now texting that info to Stuart Malcolm, bombard the Hibs keeper with loads of high balls = Forfar win !!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:40 pm
I'm now texting that info to Stuart Malcolm, bombard the Hibs keeper with loads of high balls = Forfar win !!!
:lol: 👏👏👏

It’s strange that I can be such a critic of goalies because when I play 5’s and I’m in goals, my team loses badly. Im a fkn sh*t keeper. Such a tough job.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:25 pm

One thing I would say, it was a lovely lay off by El Mizouni to Huws in the build up to our goal.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Don't rate the opposition. Maybe we made them look good. Pre-season or not seems a demoralizing defeat and did go through a number of responses soon after the event. Lambert said he was pleased with the performance ? Team just lost 4 - 1 at home for fucks sake but nothing new.

I wish we could have played some opposition outside of the UK this time around such as maybe some Irish sides or lesser known teams from say Belgium or Netherlands. Maybe it weren't possible with what's going on but facing off against teams two domestic leagues above us can be a difficult indication of what to expect in the months ahead. Being realistic not hoping for much in the season ahead. Not the two losses just recent but whole host of other issues that will prevent progress and hold the club back.