Midfield dilemma

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Midfield dilemma

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:22 am

Lambert looks as if he’s sticking with the 4-3-3.

Downes - if he stays- has got to be one of the 3 midfielders.

So who gets the other 2 midfield spots?

Out of :-

Skuse
Judge
Bishop
Dozzell
Huws
Nolan
El Mizouni
Dobra
McGavin

There’s combinations there that won’t work. There’s combinations which will be too defensive- minded or too lightweight. After the defensive shambles of the last game will Lambert protect the defence by bringing in Skuse? Or did our young midfield show enough attacking promise to be continued with?

After nearly two years of Lambert we should have a pretty good idea of some good midfield combinations, but apart from Downes - no-one else has shone.

Who would you go with?

derick_ipsw

Re: Midfield dilemma

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:48 am

Downes, Bishop and Dozzell looks ok but maybe Dozzell is a bit of a lightweight. I would love to see Huws tear this league up so I will make him my 3rd choice with Downes and Bishop. Unfortunately PL will pick Skuse :roll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:01 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:48 am
Downes, Bishop and Dozzell looks ok but maybe Dozzell is a bit of a lightweight. I would love to see Huws tear this league up so I will make him my 3rd choice with Downes and Bishop. Unfortunately PL will pick Skuse :roll:
...... and Bishop will be at the accident & emergency unit before HT in the Wigan game.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:38 am

Downes and Bishop are no brainers for me, I agree with Derick, if Huws is fully fit he's a cut above this division and would also be my third choice. Sadly Judge and Skuse will be the most likely, I don't mind skuse but not in same team as Downes.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:30 am

TBH before the West Ham game, I wouldn’t have Huws anywhere near the team. But he looked good and his burst from midfield when he set up Sears was fantastic. If he’s fit enough and prepared to be a box to box midfielder, then he could a massive boost for us. I just remember him last season, dawdling around midfield and doing f*ck all.
Downes, Dozzell and Bishop feels a bit too lightweight for me. If Huws is up for it, he’d add a bit of ballast in midfield- he’s a big lad.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:52 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:48 am
I agree with your midfield 3 and huws pass for sears goal was excellent the other day. I can only see skuse being a bit part player, like the end of last season.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:38 pm

for me - Downes, Huws, and either Dobra or El Mizouni

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:29 pm

Playing Dozzell deep gave Downes the opportunity to get forward more. Unfortunately although I rate Dozzell more highly than some on here, he doesn't have the physical presence needed in that deep role.

What was striking was the difference between his approach to Skuse's. I have always maintained that Skuse hides when the defence are in possession whereas Dozzell wanted the ball from them.

Huws did look good but bear in mind he came on against opposing players who already has played 45 minutes. I'd prefer Bishop (assuming he can keep fit) in that role, with Huws as the back-up we'll probably need.

We MUST have a midfield that is prepared to get in the box. I think Downes and Bishop will. I was disappointed with Huws' constant insistence on shooting from 30 yards.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:24 pm

With so many midfield players to choose from and a manager who finds it difficult to know his strongest line up there’s a real risk of him rotating five or even six of them and never finding a settled midfield.

I so much hope he’s learned from last season and looks to quickly find a settled squad of circa 14 players who start every week.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Andym wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:29 pm
Playing Dozzell deep gave Downes the opportunity to get forward more. Unfortunately although I rate Dozzell more highly than some on here, he doesn't have the physical presence needed in that deep role.

What was striking was the difference between his approach to Skuse's. I have always maintained that Skuse hides when the defence are in possession whereas Dozzell wanted the ball from them.

Huws did look good but bear in mind he came on against opposing players who already has played 45 minutes. I'd prefer Bishop (assuming he can keep fit) in that role, with Huws as the back-up we'll probably need.

We MUST have a midfield that is prepared to get in the box. I think Downes and Bishop will. I was disappointed with Huws' constant insistence on shooting from 30 yards.
Agree about Dozzell - he comes deep and wants that ball to start things moving. But, as you say, offers so little physically. I can only see Dozzell flourishing if he has one or two ‘minders’ to look after him.
And Skuse. Yes, he can tidy up and offer the defence some protection, but he’s frustrated me for years by slowing the ball down, especially when we could break. It’s like the balls a hot potato and he can only offload backwards or sideways. I think he’s actually a technically good footballer, but seems conditioned to play it safe. This really is the time to start afresh without him as a regular. Time to be bold.
I can’t remember a time when we regularly controlled the midfield against teams - yet we’ve got so many bloody options in midfield.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:04 pm

The trouble with Dozzell is I believe he is out of contract at the end of the season so will most likely walk away unless we get promoted and can offer him a good contract.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:59 pm

If his last name wasn't Dozzell, we would have off loaded him a long time ago.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Bishop
Downes
Judge