Transfer Rumours

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:52 am
Then there’s James Norwood, who is a few weeks behind the rest of the group as he continues to rehab following groin surgery in February. The lockdown meant he wasn’t able to progress as well as he and the Town medical staff will have liked, but he’s not far away. He’s been working with the club’s fitness staff at Playford Road every day and there is hope he could be involved for a few minutes at the end of Town’s friendly with West Ham next week.
I don’t get why Norwood is being linked with a “ loan” deal.....what’s going on behind the scenes? He’s now being linked with a loan move to Swindon. What the hell is going on, he s been injured, has / is in rehab, so why is he being linked with clubs in a loan deal? None of it makes any sense to me I’m afraid.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:50 pm

Lambert’s comments today say to me there is an issue with Norwood regarding his Attitude and/or fitness, Lambert doesn't seem overly impressed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:22 pm

Ah really ! I thought there must be something going on. But still don’t get this loan stuff though , do you?

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:39 pm

The loan stuff is coming from the other clubs, The club has made it clear no loan deals which means no L1 club can afford him and can’t see a Championship taking a risk on a player returning from injury. The club need him if 4 3 3 is the preferred formation. Therefore I reckon he is going nowhere.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:39 am

Have to admit, it does feel there’s something going on behind the scenes between Lambert and Norwood.
When Lambert says “James has got to show me what he can do and get back into the team and show what he did at Tranmere.” that sounds like he’s talking about a player who’s been dropped and on the naughty step and needs to play himself back into the team. Bit weird that as its pre-season and you’d think it’s clean-slate time. The fact that teams like Fleetwood, Dundee Utd and Swindon being linked is weird as they’re all unlikely to be able to afford him, unless there’s a lot of friction behind the scenes and Norwood is trying to instigate a move away.

It’s not in our interests to let him go and we’ll find it difficult to find a replacement. But these strange loan rumours keep on rumbling on. Hopefully it’s just a gentle slap on the wrist to motivate Norwood a bit more.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:44 am

Yeah, I read that as subtle motivation too Tang.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:55 pm

Be interesting to see if he’s kept a strict diet?
Recent pics pre lockdown from memory was that he was becoming no stranger to a steak bake. Maybe Lambert has thought Norwood is onto the fudge donuts and maybe needs him to lose a few lbs?
Any recent picture evidence?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:54 pm

Well I don’t know about Norwood weight but Lambert sure looks like he’s been at the donuts during lockdown, and the vino . I reckon he’s put on a good stone in weight.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:51 pm

Has he got the "Fergie nose"?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:24 pm

Lol no, but he does appear to have “ man boobs” 😂

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Palarse make a second derisory bid (£2m) for Downes I see( which we’ve rejected ).

Out of interest when does the window actually close , anyone know?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Full story here Liz....
Town are reported to have turned down a second offer from Premier League Crystal Palace for midfielder Flynn Downes.

In July, TWTD revealed that Crystal Palace were keen on the 21-year-old with sporting director Dougie Freedman having been at Town’s game at Blackpool at the end of February as the Selhurst Park club continued an ongoing watching brief.

As previously reported, the Eagles made an earlier bid for the academy product, understood to have been just north of £1 million and now, according to the EADT, the South Londoners have come back with a second offer of £2 million, which again has been rebuffed.

Although the Blues were previously reported to have put a valuation of £4 million on the England U20 international, who was TWTD readers’ Player of the Year for 2019/20, it’s likely Town would want an overall deal, including clauses such as appearance milestones, worth significantly more than that if they were to sell. An offer of £2 million is unlikely to have been given much consideration.

Owner Marcus Evans is understood to have no plans to offload any of the clubs’ prized assets this summer, despite the financial implications of the coronavirus crisis.

Asked earlier this week whether he would be a Town player this season, Downes responded: “Hopefully, obviously we’ll see. You can never say for sure, but hopefully I will be.”

Quizzed on whether he was aware of any interest, he added: “I’ve heard little bits and bobs but I’m just focusing on the football, that’s all I can say really, I’m focusing on the football and everything else will be taken care of. That’s sort of it.”

West Ham, who Downes supports and who he faced in a friendly at Portman Road on Tuesday, also made their interest known to Town in January, while Fulham are among the other clubs to have been keeping tabs on the Brentwood-born schemer. Reports of interest from Arsenal are understood to be wide of the mark

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:41 pm

I believe the transfer window closes October 5th

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:50 pm

Oh bloody hell, ages to go then.

Wonder what price Palarse will steal Downes for?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:02 pm

7 Million minimum I hope, I really hope he stays though

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:12 pm

£2M? :shock:

I suppose league status drops the value ..... but that’s laughable from Crystal Palace.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:18 pm

Hmmm not sure we’d get anywhere near that. I think he’ll definitely be leaving , and I’d be amazed if we got more than £3m fir him . Not that that’s what I think he’s worth. I just sick of mega rich PL clubs taking the p*ss,( not even offering a fair price). I mean PalArse have taken the total p*ss with a £1m abc £2m offers . To them I say f*ck off. And I hope Evans continues to say the same so too.

On the subject of Lambert’s comments , I’m feeling uneasy about what’s going on ( his comments). I wonder if Evans has spelt it out to him and he’s come out gums blazing at the players , trying to lay the law down .

In truth the squad is double the size it should be and we can’t offload due to silly wages . We’re open therefore to having our best players cherry picked for bugger all and almost more importantly, losing the next crop of young players ( Dobra, Mizouni, Bishop, Dozzell, Woolfie, Drinan) coz Lambert appears unwilling to take a chance on them

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:58 pm

Well if he did go.... do we have anyone amongst our plethora of midfielders to replace him? I’d say no.

Pretty ridiculous, but we don’t have anyone similar to replace him and we might have to buy in a like for like player.

I think the club does want to hang on to him and are gambling on the hope we get promoted and then can flog him for a far better price.... and then we are able to re-invest without the salary cap restrictions.

I think he will stay, from what I’m hearing from the club. But we’ll see.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:44 pm

With the way things are Town should not sell any of our good players not if we want to get out of this league, yes the squad needs thinning but not by selling our better players for what is silly money, 2 million is rubbish 👎

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:57 pm

But as I said on the squad photo thread, to thin the squad you've either got to sell the few saleable assets or send the youngsters out on loan.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:11 pm

As Tang rightly suggests, why sell one of our best players when we do not really have a like for like replacement in our squad. Downes' current salary falls under the League one average wage figure. Any new signing with similar qualities to Downes would probably not fit within the salary cap, unless a promising U21 or a loan signing whose wages were heavily subsidised by the parent club potentially.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:56 am

I think we could offload certain players, say, Toto and Cotter, but the sticking point is their wages. I’m sure the clubs who would want them can’t pay as much. What we could do is settle up their contracts or part of, to make it more agreeable for all parties.

But I suppose we really need to offload midfielders as we’ve got too many. And apart from Downes, Dobra and El Mizouni would be ones who would interest other clubs as loanees. Then again, as they’re under 21’s they don’t fall under the salary cap. It’s the senior pro’s like Judge, Huws, Skuse and Nolan who are the problem. If they’re not playing regularly or doing the business, then all they’re doing is just eating into the wage bill. You can’t play them all, but I think Lambert will favour them initially. I just hope if they’re not doing the business then Lambert is ruthless and gives Dobra and/or El Mizouni a go. No more trying to keep under-performing senior pro’s happy.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:25 pm

I completely agree Tang. Thing is, should playing the youngsters in place of underperforming seniors even be an issue. We’ve been discussing the topic for years...and especially now that we’re in Lg1 get the bloody youngsters on the pitch! I’m ready for a young and energetic squad. Sure they’ll make mistakes, but so do the seniors. Skuse & Chambers should be bench players. Bring on the so called experience If everything goes to sh*t, and maybe those tired old legs can stabilize a dire situation. That’s my feeling anyway. I’m sure I’m wrong.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:51 am

Heard that Flynn downes has handed in a transfer request

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:55 am

Yep just this minute been made aware of the same thing, gutted if true.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:30 am

Oh sh*t.

That’s one player we’re not going to replace very easily. I was hoping he’d stay an extra year. Pretty ominous when a transfer request is handed in - good as gone.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:42 am

Yep, he has obviously had his turned so don't expect to see him in Town's line up until the transfer window closes assuming he is still here. :shock:

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:42 am

It’s not surprising, he will be made for life if he moves and you can’t really blame him. But he is pretty irreplaceable at this level. We will need someone to stand up and be counted in the midfield.
My fear is... woolfie next !!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:00 am

Yep, not surprising at all.

Posted this back on July 12th
marko69 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:13 am
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:31 am
If Evans doesn’t do something along this line then we may as well switch the lights off and stick the milk bottles out.
:lol: Nice

Similar opinion on Flynn Downes. Absolutely no chance he'll be at ITFC next season. But, judging by the betting yesterday ----> could be massively wrong.
No idea what I’m on about regarding the betting part above, (most don’t know what I’m feckin on about anyway)..... but league one and Downes isn’t a match. At all.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:03 am

That’s what I thought as well - Woolfenden, too. Is it six weeks before the end of the transfer window.

Look on the bright side... at least we had the foresight to extend Skuse’s contract for if and when Downes left.