Cambridge match commentary

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Cambridge match commentary

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:19 pm

Tangfastic

Re: Cambridge match commentary

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:32 pm

Town line up.

Ipswich Town: Cornell; Donacien, Woolfenden, Wilson, Smith; McGavin, Nolan, Huws; Judge, Lankester, Hawkins

Subs: Holy, Ndaba, El Mizouni, Dobra, Folami, Norwood

Hawkins starts. Norwood on the bench.

I’m seeing 4 of the Photoshoot Five are in the squad. I guess they haven’t been shunned from the squad.

Jackson an absentee again. I wonder if he’s one we’ll offload as he doesn’t seem to fit into a 4-4-3.

Midfield doesn’t look that dynamic.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:39 pm

No Bishop, out for the season?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:48 pm

Bluemike wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:39 pm
No Bishop, out for the season?
Many a true word Mike 😂 it's looking like our injury situation is continuing as usual sorry to say.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:56 pm

BBC Cambridgeshire bigging up El Mizouni and hoping he’ll come back on loan again to Cambridge. Was a bit of a star there apparently last season.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Jackson supposedly has a knock.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Not started very well đŸ˜± three corners for them.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:04 pm

Tried for commentary with both Radio Suffolk and Cambridge but could not enable a signal. TWTD however says game is at an end and we lost 0 - 1.

A former player of ours scored the only strike in Paul Digby from close range. Report says we struggled at times but improved second period with passing patterns but no real end product. Home team value for the win says report, we didn't seem to create much in the way of opportunity.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Chin up everybody at this rate that f**king idiot Lambert will be gone by the end of October. :roll:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:11 pm

I did have the commentary on in the background, but wasn’t that interested. From what I heard it was pretty flat and a deserved win for Cambridge. Players like Huws, Nolan and Judge were there and would have thought made more impact.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:32 pm

tangfastic wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:11 pm
Players like Huws, Nolan and Judge were there and would have thought made more impact.
All overrated in my book. If they cant control the game with their experience, we don't need them. But of course we are stuck with them on high wages.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:36 pm

Hard to know what to make of this one! I try not to read too much into pre-season friendlies (though that isn't the case here :lol: )

OK so a number of the senior players left out of this one, Lambert should already know enough about. Yes it also enabled a first run out for Hawkins and Norwood. After playing two top teams in the last week, resting some of the planned starters for the League One opener for a lesser opponent, is no bad thing i guess, but building an understanding through minutes played is key, especially to a defensive formation which has already looked dodgy, albeit against strong opposition.

To me, this is hinting of the following line- up against Wigan (barring injuries) ;
Holy
KVY, Chambers, Wolfenden, Ward
Bishop, Downes, Dozzell
Sears, Drinan, Edwards

Not all that far from the West Ham starting line uo in fact
Norwood, Hawkins, Skuse, Judge,, Wilson, Huws, El Mizouni and Dobra giving strong outfield options to select for the subs bench.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:37 pm

I know it wasn’t our supposed strongest line up , but I’m uneasy as PL seems to be doing what he did last season eg giving everyone a game . Does he actually know his strongest team I wonder? He hasn’t built on any of the various games has he. Early days I know , it PL may not be given much time if he doesn’t hit the ground running.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:42 pm

I've said all along he will treat the Bristol Rovers and Arsenal games as pre season and in all probability starting with his preferred starting Eleven.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:45 pm

Andym wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:32 pm
tangfastic wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:11 pm
Players like Huws, Nolan and Judge were there and would have thought made more impact.
All overrated in my book. If they cant control the game with their experience, we don't need them. But of course we are stuck with them on high wages.
We’re stuck with them, but Lambert doesn’t have to play them. Lambert has got to be ruthless. Lambert holds all the cards on who plays, but Im not sure he’s got it in him to p*ss off senior players when necessary.

Those guys should be desperate to get in the team with so much competition in midfield. I genuinely don’t feel there’s that competitive, cut-throat culture in the squad.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:50 pm

AzzurroMark wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:36 pm
Hard to know what to make of this one! I try not to read too much into pre-season friendlies (though that isn't the case here :lol: )

OK so a number of the senior players left out of this one, Lambert should already know enough about. Yes it also enabled a first run out for Hawkins and Norwood. After playing two top teams in the last week, resting some of the planned starters for the League One opener for a lesser opponent, is no bad thing i guess, but building an understanding through minutes played is key, especially to a defensive formation which has already looked dodgy, albeit against strong opposition.

To me, this is hinting of the following line- up against Wigan (barring injuries) ;
Holy
KVY, Chambers, Wolfenden, Ward
Bishop, Downes, Dozzell
Sears, Drinan, Edwards

Not all that far from the West Ham starting line uo in fact
Norwood, Hawkins, Skuse, Judge,, Wilson, Huws, El Mizouni and Dobra giving strong outfield options to select for the subs bench.
I don’t think you’re far off, but I think Norwood or Hawkins will be the striker. And I just can’t quite see Dozzell in there with Bishop and Downes. Dozzell is prepared to look for that ball from defence and get things moving. He’s just offers nothing defensively.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:13 pm

Pre-season or not, we should be beating Cambridge. It's hard to see any improvement from last season, to be honest. I hope I'm wrong.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:30 pm

number 9 wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:13 pm
Pre-season or not, we should be beating Cambridge. It's hard to see any improvement from last season, to be honest. I hope I'm wrong.
Well said 9.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:41 pm

Was Lambert not available for comment? According to EADT, Stuart Taylor has said, “everyone is massively disappointed”.

Well, I suppose if they’re disappointed, that’s pretty good and they’ll know to get their fkn fingers out for the next one. And with them being “massively” disappointed, then even better. :roll:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:01 pm

Yeah I'm massively disappointed as well. How does everyone else feel about the pre-season? Does anyone think we've improved? Are we ready for a promotion run? Is Lambert a wanker? :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:10 pm

Lambo & Co should be judged after 5 league games. Massively important games and massively couldn’t give a fk about cups. League One games only.
Hopefully sitting with 13 points minimum after 5 games.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:12 pm

marko69 wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:41 pm
Was Lambert not available for comment? According to EADT, Stuart Taylor has said, “everyone is massively disappointed”.

Well, I suppose if they’re disappointed, that’s pretty good and they’ll know to get their fkn fingers out for the next one. And with them being “massively” disappointed, then even better. :roll:
Which volume of the "Classic ITFC excuses, with promises to put it right next time" book does this come from Marko?
Have searched the first two volumes and found "bitterly" , 'very", "extremely", "hugely", "unbelievably" "greatly", all used with disappointed on numerous occasions. However no mention of massively! Has a revised edition been published i wonder? :roll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:16 pm

There is 8 or 9 players that would probably play ahead of some who played today, it may be disappointing but it means nothing, all experimental with some players in today who won't see the first team, some players playing their FIRST game of pre season, we need a sense of perspective here.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:25 pm

iTFC.co.uk. ...
James Wilson says that he is happy with his progress after returning from a calf injury in Town's friendly defeat at Cambridge.

The defender played all 90 minutes at the Abbey Stadium in what was his first outing of pre-season.

"I feel good," he told iFollow Ipswich. "The calf is fine now so that's a bonus definitely. That's what it's really about in pre-season, getting your fitness up and working on things.

"As a squad we're in a good place. Nearly everyone is fit or will be fit going into the season."

After promising performances in defeats against Tottenham and West Ham, James said that the display at Cambridge showed that Blues still have plenty to improve on.

"It wasn't great today to be honest but hopefully we can learn from a few things that went wrong today - and learn quickly before next week.

"There's a few boys who got run-outs who haven't played yet so that's a factor as well but we're going to need to work on things before next week.

"It's good to have a definite identity. It might take time to get things 100 per cent right - but if we stick with it, we've definitely got the players to do it."
I am usually one of those fans you could class as 'wearing rose tinted glasses', but i really get fed up with the same old s**t being spouted. I know the players have to say something, but rime and again the words seem hollow when little changes.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:25 pm

Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:16 pm
There is 8 or 9 players that would probably play ahead of some who played today, it may be disappointing but it means nothing, all experimental with some players in today who won't see the first team, some players playing their FIRST game of pre season, we need a sense of perspective here.
So when does it matter BM next week against Bristol Rovers?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:28 pm

I know you’re right, Mike, that it has to be put into perspective, but you mention this is experimental. I think after nearly two years of Lambo we should be well past the experimental stage. There was still quite a number of senior players out who’ve been around a good while. And according to the radio commentary, Cambridge had quite a few new players, yet they outplayed us.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:31 pm

derick_ipsw wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:25 pm
So when does it matter BM next week against Bristol Rovers?
Not answering Bluemike for him...... it’s always good to win, (obviously)........ but it REALLY does matter v Wigan. That’s the big KO...., in my humble opinion.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:31 pm

I do agree Mike, and as i said earlier, i tend not to take notice of pre-season form. It is about fitness, formations and game time. I just get wound up by the same old inane output from players and coaching staff. I know it's a case of "what are they meant to say"?
Maybe i have, at 50, finally joined the Grumpy old men's club! :wink: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:35 pm

Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:12 pm
marko69 wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:41 pm

Which volume of the "Classic ITFC excuses, with promises to put it right next time" book does this come from Marko?
Have searched the first two volumes and found "bitterly" , 'very", "extremely", "hugely", "unbelievably" "greatly", all used with disappointed on numerous occasions. However no mention of massively! Has a revised edition been published i wonder? :roll:
:lol: ..... no I think Covid saved the latest edition. Massively was plucked from that I think.
Expect “comprehensively”, “insanely” and “absolutely f**king” this season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:40 pm

Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:31 pm
I do agree Mike, and as i said earlier, i tend not to take notice of pre-season form. It is about fitness, formations and game time. I just get wound up by the same old inane output from players and coaching staff. I know it's a case of "what are they meant to say"?
Maybe i have, at 50, finally joined the Grumpy old men's club! :wink: :lol:
Welcome to the club, Azzurro.

I’ve just called Doninos and asked why the hell they were scarce with the spicy pork balls. Just proper grumping down the phone. I feel bad. State of the world. America going nuts on the news etc etc. World is bad enough without having to deal with spicy pork balls rations.