Downes and his first team place ....

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Downes and his first team place ....

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:04 pm

Downes clearly wants to leave this Club. He has no further interest in remaining a Town player. Fine, that’s his prerogative. However he is contracted to this Club ( and was very happy to sign on the dotted line when it was offered and was no doubt an improved contract). He has shown no loyalty and wants away at the first sniff of another Club taking firm interest in him. But business works both ways young man. This Club wants a good deal too. And I hope we get it .

However , Downes having nailed his colours to the post, IMO, now should no longer expect to be first choice in our midfield. Frankly I’d bring the likes of Dobra into the squad and let him have a chance. Play the otter MF’ers we have such as Bishop, Huws, Dozzell and demote Downes to the reserves . It was his choice to turn his back on this Club. Do he can twiddle his things until we get a deal we want .

Loyalty works both ways . As soon as we were relegated , he was always going to jump ship.

What do others think ?

Ando

Re: Downes and his first team place ....

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:28 pm

If he stays then he plays every week as long as his place is merited imo. Not only do we get another season from him but his stock should rise further. If we let him rot his stock will drop.

Who can blame him for wanting to move, as I have just said on the transfer thread, life changing wages, no relocation. He will go with my blessing. I think he is the type of lad who would knuckle down if he stays.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:11 pm

Time will tell I guess Ando. But if a player states he wants to move to another Club, he’s also saying “ I don’t want to play with you (His team mates). Also, what message does that send to young players like Dobra who has said he does want to stay and dies want to play. How’s he going to feel that another U21 player whose had his head turned, still gets in the team ahead of him. But if a slap in the face for Dobra I’d think 🤷‍♀️.

Anyway, I’m not looking to cause trouble , just asking questions and trying to see it from other players stand point.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:43 pm

Yeh Dobra could see it that way or it could spur him on to think that could be me getting a dream move if I knuckle down. I suppose it’s down to the individual player, we are all Different at the end of the day.

I just hope it’s sorted soon because the main disruption is Downes head May be elsewhere and how does PL plan properly until he knows for certain. I can see it being a last minute sale which does not help the playing side of things For certain.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:21 pm

I just think we have to look beyond football.

How many of us would openly say to the press that we weren't happy to stay in our current job? All Downes did last week was to do what we all would. As was said in a previous thread, don't blame him - blame the press chasing a story.

And how many of us would turn down a career move to a bigger organisation on double (or nore) our current salary?

Footballers aren't like fans. It's a job, a career. Why should they be loyal to an organisation that if we are honest is going nowhere? It's only the blind optimism of fans of all clubs that makes us expect anything different.

Good luck to him. He is our only player who I would say can definitely play at a higher level. I'd prefer to see him step up to championship level for a year or two rather than risk bench warming, but that is the problem of the ludicrous salary structure of the leagues. As I've argued before. we need a low indvdusl salary cap topped up by a large sppearance bonus so a player can earn more by playing in one league than by being a squad member in the league above.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:55 am

Agree with Andym. Also I would suggest, Hallam, that we know about this only because there have been offers. I'm sure that the agents of other young players in our squad are also busy trying to get them better deals in the leagues above and from time to time may hear that something 'might be in the pipeline', but we wouldn't hear about this.

Any decent professional will knuckle down and give his all for whoever holds his contract as long as there has been no falling out. My understanding is that there is no falling out in this case and I'm sure PL & ST will know if his head's in the right place. In addition a couple of stonking performances in the first couple of games might have Palace upping the ante or others coming in with bids.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:26 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:55 am
In addition a couple of stonking performances in the first couple of games might have Palace upping the ante or others coming in with bids.
I agree. If you want to move up the ladder, you're going to.want to demonstrate your worth.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:47 am

I can’t blame Downes at all. I know he said the other day - when asked - that he was hoping to stay, but he’s a 21 year old kid who can probably earn 5 or 6 times more with the move and that’s got to make anyone think or re-consider. His career could be ended with one bad tackle and this move will set him up for life. On the other hand, he’s under contract here and the club has got to do what’s best for the club. It’s business - nothing personal - and I wouldn’t punish us or Downes by relegating him to the stiffs.

Play him against Bristol Rovers and see where his head is. There’s a bunch of Town players who seem to be coasting on their contracts here so what have we to lose. At least Downes earned a potential move to a bigger club wearing a Town shirt.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:31 pm

While I don't blame Downes for wanting to better himself I do agree with Hallam on a couple of things, first off I would not be playing him over a player who is here for the long term and who we may well be relying on once Downes departs, and secondly why these players aren't more tactful in how they reply to questions about their futures god only knows.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:22 am

I see Downes has said he doesn’t feel his head is in the right place to play today :roll: .

Just stick him in the U23, he doesn’t want to be at this Club now. Bring in Dobra , and sod Downes ( snd his his new agent ) !

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:41 am

I think we have to consider the admittedly small possibility that we don't sell him. I can't see Palace going much higher for a player they want to send out on loan so it could happen that he stays.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:54 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:41 am
I think we have to consider the admittedly small possibility that we don't sell him. I can't see Palace going much higher for a player they want to send out on loan so it could happen that he stays.
That’s true. It’s ominous he’s handed in a transfer request, but that’s football.
At this stage I don’t see the point of hammering the lad. No point in getting over-emotional. Ive never got the impression he’s a troublesome lad and if the move falls through, I’d imagine he’d want to get back playing and putting in some good performances.
Maybe players perform better when they’re ambitious and want to better themselves, even if that means they eventually will leave.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:15 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:22 am
I see Downes has said he doesn’t feel his head is in the right place to play today :roll: .

Just stick him in the U23, he doesn’t want to be at this Club now. Bring in Dobra , and sod Downes ( snd his his new agent ) !
What does ‘head not in the right place’ mean?
If my head is not right in my job I could kill someone with my driving! All he has to do is play football not sit around like a spoilt brat who can’t get his own way😡
Respect for these tossers goes down and down every time they open their mouths.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:41 pm

I don’t know what he means , but I personally feel he just wants out of the Club now . f*ck him I say .

Play someone who does want to play ....

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/austria-u2 ... -1-6823717