State of the Forum

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: State of the Forum

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:30 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:24 pm
Well happy for it to be elsewhere but i think at the moment it is VERY footy related as they bloody started doing it! Look - I don't care if it is never mentioned again but was trying to gauge peoples views. Strange that in trying to open more posts, there is a suggestion that we should shut this one down? Democracy indeed! 😂
Well, my post was about as f**king diplomatic as i'm ever going to be, unfortunately. Being given mod duties, I do try my best to keep potential unrest at a premium......, but to be wholeheartedly honest, I really don't know ANY of you so feckin go for it. Everyone. Unleash your big opinions on everything. Then watch your forum die. Go for it.
Democracy doesn't ACTUALLY mean democracy in this world anymore. Watch some news, FFS!

AND........, now it'll be locked.

You fkn morons.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:57 pm

Had originally saved a drafted reply to the OP, however by the time i got to edit ready for posting, a number of replies had been made. My thoughts seemed a bit of a ramble.

Now in an attemp to get back on track to 9's post;
A long close season has not helped what is usually a quiet time on any footie forum.

Lockdown, you'd have thought, would have made people more keen to contribute to online forums/social media, but the new-found opportunities seemed to have an opposite effect, with people enjoying family time (as they should) over being online.

I am so glad this balanced forum is here. I have kicked TWTD and Facebook into touch, as i found them a negative drain on my state of mind. Fortunately i have worked all the way through Covid, but the lack of social activity, which for me is following Ipswich Town as well as Modern Jive dancing, has taken a toll. Like 9, i tend to look in on this forum daily (several times) and likewise found it hard to see so little activity. In fact for quite some time i didn't log on, but would have viewed the forum as a guest. I know i could be part of the solution by posting more, and hopefully this post might salvage something from 9's very valid OP.

You will (probably not) notice that i do not tend to comment on matters outside of the general football sphere, even where that subject encroaches on the sport. Having run a FB page about my hometown, i know how opinions can be very misconstrued, especially when the sentiment behind them cannot easily be felt. Certain subjects you might just as well light a bonfire in the middle of a fireworks factory, and i can certainly understand Marko's comment about death threats, such can be the passion on either side of the argument.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:58 am

Thats fine - my social media naivety for going into areas that are controversial (although it was done in all innocence and not meant to antagonise). I didn't expect to be called a fukn moron however (I didn't take it personally Marko). I never did social media in any form except for this site and its sad but now I know why and I just don't need it. I will watch debates from a distance. Enjoy the season Guys and Gals!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:21 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:58 am
Thats fine - my social media naivety for going into areas that are controversial (although it was done in all innocence and not meant to antagonise). I didn't expect to be called a fukn moron however (I didn't take it personally Marko). I never did social media in any form except for this site and its sad but now I know why and I just don't need it. I will watch debates from a distance. Enjoy the season Guys and Gals!
No need to stop posting Wilf. Marko mentioned the plural ‘morons’, not moron, so no need to take it personally. We can take the affectionate term ‘morons’ collectively as team players. I think this thread has been pretty tame TBH and didn’t get out of control.
Compared to TWTD - this site is pretty well behaved.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:43 am

Like I said Tang - I didn't take it personally. Its fine - I will be much more reserved in my content and frequency however.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:14 pm

In my opinion BLM is a very interesting phenomenon but like others here I'm not sure I'd want to spout my own views on it on this particular forum. I'll say this though, whether we like the way that is being used to highlight it or not we do need to address endemic racism in our society.

We have come a long way since the social engineering from the 1970's that was 'Love thy neighbour' & 'Rising Damp' but now we need to take the next steps to getting real equality. It has been fascinating to read recent studies into how journalists describe soccer players attributes differently for example depending on their colour. It's likely that none of the journalists would be considered by you & me as racist and yet they clearly are on subconscious level. Maybe we also would do the same without thinking about it. This is the type of racism that we need to work on now and whilst this work will not work on us, as these imperfections cannot simply be deleted, it does need to work on the next and future generations until the mere suggestion that there is such a thing as racism no longer makes any sense.

So maybe the BLM approach will help bring about this kind of understanding, maybe not. I'm undecided.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:12 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:14 pm
It has been fascinating to read recent studies into how journalists describe soccer players attributes differently for example depending on their colour. It's likely that none of the journalists would be considered by you & me as racist and yet they clearly are on subconscious level. Maybe we also would do the same without thinking about it. This is the type of racism that we need to work on now and whilst this work will not work on us, as these imperfections cannot simply be deleted, it does need to work on the next and future generations until the mere suggestion that there is such a thing as racism no longer makes any sense.

So maybe the BLM approach will help bring about this kind of understanding, maybe not. I'm undecided.
I agree completely. I made the point months ago that however hard we try, we are influenced by prejudices. I said that I suspect I wold feel more intimidated by a group of half a dozen black youths hanging around town that white ones. No reason, no justification. Just a prejudice that I try very hard to overcome. I don't think I am racist in any way....and then I realise that I might feel differently about different groups.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Spot on.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:35 pm

I agree Dubai, BLM will/may change the thinking of future generations. As I've said before while I may not agree with all of the justifications for BLM, I'm a white guy and therefore I can not understand what it's like to be a person of colour in society. I just wish there was also a movement to address the prevalence of violent crime in predominantly minority communities. Police in the USA are frightened for their lives even more now; however, it doesn't excuse their mistakes especially when they result in death. Some may argue the main cause of crime is the result of systemic racism...that's what I have a major problem with.

Anyway, there is a Black Lives Matter thread in the non-football section on the forum. I think it's great that we're able to discuss the subject without personal attacks and racial slurs.

*Maybe a MOD can move the BLM posts to the BLM thread for more discussion?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:55 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:35 pm
I agree Dubai, BLM will/may change the thinking of future generations. As I've said before while I may not agree with all of the justifications for BLM, I'm a white guy and therefore I can not understand what it's like to be a person of colour in society. I just wish there was also a movement to address the prevalence of violent crime in predominantly minority communities. Police in the USA are frightened for their lives even more now; however, it doesn't excuse their mistakes especially when they result in death. Some may argue the main cause of crime is the result of systemic racism...that's what I have a major problem with.

Anyway, there is a Black Lives Matter thread in the non-football section on the forum. I think it's great that we're able to discuss the subject without personal attacks and racial slurs.

*Maybe a MOD can move the BLM posts to the BLM thread for more discussion?

Totally agree with last 2 paragraphs and sentiments expressed. Perhaps this thread could be locked if not?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:25 pm

Apologies morons..... I mean, good people of Ipswich Town....... I was merely alluding to moderating such opinions. Potential for pms from offended people. Not the opinions themselves.

No one likes threads being locked and I thought this was going that way due to “the state of the forum” becoming “the state of the world” type scenario. Which is fine if the reader is expecting that type of convo.
Hence a designated area.
Frosty started a poll.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:06 pm

No offence taken Marko - i promise. Lets all move on. Life is too short... so - anyone think Town may go up this year?? 😬👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:10 pm

Yep we're going up

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:11 pm

Hoorah! Lets get behind them then everyone! 👍

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:58 am

Unfortunately I can't see Town going up all the time PL is in charge. From all the pre season games I have watched we are a accident waiting to happen at the back we have nothing going forward and this is all down to the system we play. 433 playing out from the back. If PL is sacked by end of October we may have a chance. Sorry. :(

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:33 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:58 am
Unfortunately I can't see Town going up all the time PL is in charge. From all the pre season games I have watched we are a accident waiting to happen at the back we have nothing going forward and this is all down to the system we play. 433 playing out from the back. If PL is sacked by end of October we may have a chance. Sorry. :(
Agree with much of that. Playing out from the back is good but you need better defenders then we have to so that with mire composure on the ball.

Not convinced that any one system is better then another. We still lack creativity, so goals will be hard to come by however many you play up front.

Whatever system, we must get midfielders in the box in support. We haven't done that for years

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:37 pm

State of the forum ——-> State of the world ——> State of the team ———> ?

Will it keep on morphing?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:42 pm

Oh you’re banned for sure! :lol:

State of the Willy?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:49 pm

That’s a rather fabulous Willy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:49 pm

Another c*ck to deal with.........
:lol: :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:52 pm

Posted that Willy 4 minutes ago and it’s had three replies.
Note to Frosty...... more d!ck pics!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:57 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:52 pm
Speaking of dicks, I have a bone to pick with Frosty !!!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:04 pm

Jesus Christ. :) :)

Two thirds of the moderators drooling over a plasticine c*ck.

Is it any wonder there’s a question mark for the state of the forum.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:16 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:04 pm

Charnwood will love it as well. 👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:00 pm

"Did you see that pic on the tractor-boys forum? Christ it was big!"

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:13 pm

Caption:
Roald Dahl takes time out from his latest novel “James and the giant loan deal” to listen to Ipswich Towns Paul Lambert.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:44 am

Still waiting for Charnwood’s comments about the plasticine c*ck. Much more entertaining than politics. Frosty, cue the pop corn...feet on poof, cold beer in hand.

f*ck off Norwich!

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:57 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:57 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:52 pm
Speaking of dicks, I have a bone to pick with Frosty !!!!
Oh sh*t, you managed to escape did you? :wink: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:25 am

Oh yes lol, much to the annoyance of many :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:21 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:16 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:04 pm

Charnwood will love it as well. 👍
One bollock bigger than the other Marko, just like mine 😂