Ipswich Town vs Bristol Rovers (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread - Season Opener

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How we going to start?

Town Win
53%
Rovers Win
27%
Penalties
20%

Total votes: 15

ipswichtownNo1

Re: Ipswich Town vs Bristol Rovers (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread - Season Opener

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:45 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:40 pm
So far, 14 shots. TEN on target? That’s brilliant. 👏👏 What an Improvement in that area.
I think one or two were out of that area!

number 9

Re: Ipswich Town vs Bristol Rovers (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread - Season Opener

Post by number 9 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:48 pm

I hope Drinan has earned a start against Wigan, and why not use Dobra and El Mizouni in the future as well? Yes Dobra is on International duty today, but I'd love to see him get some regular playing time this season. It's great to see the youngsters stepping up! Finally players who want to earn the shirt!

COYB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:50 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:24 am
Obviously I hope I’m wrong but I can’t help having this feeling of ‘Oh No’ here we go again with Lambert still in charge!
Quite happy to eat my words 😀

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:01 pm

What was better about today Town did not take stupid chances messing about at the back. They did go long sometimes but good balls not hump and hope. This was much more encouraging to be honest with nice football played. 😊

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Nothing like a positive football Saturday to brighten the mood!

3 goals scored!
None conceded
10 shots on target
Progression in a cup game
Oh yes and Norwich's continued hangover with a 3-1 cup defeat at Luton.

Happy days indeed! :D :lol: :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:02 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:48 pm
I hope Drinan has earned a start against Wigan, and why not use Dobra and El Mizouni in the future as well? Yes Dobra is on International duty today, but I'd love to see him get some regular playing time this season. It's great to see the youngsters stepping up! Finally players who want to earn the shirt!

He sounds like he’s our only fit striker. Hawkins is getting back to fitness, too. He’s probably got a good chance.
Very encouraging. Chambo sounds like he had a good game at RB. Toto’s come from nowhere as well.

Is Lambert anywhere near his best eleven.... probably further away.

How did Dozzell do overall? Did he provide that bit extra in linking attack?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:07 pm

Dozzell ? Simple answer is No. One decent forward pass in first half otherwise he was sideways and backwards.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:08 pm

Dozzell was very good, cool and composed, looking for the ball, getting us going forward, finding space and offering an option to his teammates. Best I've seen from him for years tbh.

A very good all round performance, ward looks a very astute signing, Chambo solid at RB, Toto looked assured, woolfy, Nolan and Judge all much better after the break, Drinan was excellent, Bishop industrious, Sears clinical and worked hard, Holy did what was required when called upon, can't fault any of them and some of the passing interchanges were very good, reason's to be cheerful.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:17 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:02 pm
number 9 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:48 pm

He sounds like he’s our only fit striker. Hawkins is getting back to fitness, too. He’s probably got a good chance.
Very encouraging. Chambo sounds like he had a good game at RB. Toto’s come from nowhere as well.

Is Lambert anywhere near his best eleven.... probably further away.

How did Dozzell do overall? Did he provide that bit extra in linking attack?
I have answered your actual question on Dozzell Tang. He was the midfielder who picked the ball off the centre halves.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:25 pm

Dozzell looked the best technical player on the pitch. Someone has to play it sideways but he also has that killer forward pass I think our midfield needs building Around him, Bishop and Downes would be the perfect foil.

Who would have thought of playing Chambers at right back, better option that Donacian imo.

Drinan did well but still probably down PL pecking order.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:02 pm

Am away at present so didn’t know the score until just now. What a pleasant surprise this is . Will be good for confidence. It’s all about building confidence, continuity and an identity of style.

Well done lads ....COYBs 👍

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:21 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... incredible the manager's view. He is a bit over the top to be honest.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:25 pm

Good all round performance for me. I want Dozzell to do well and to be fair he was OK but not exceptional for me. I worried that he stopped and left defending to others when a player went past him - thats a problem of old - ie he can be lazy in defence. Other than that - with several supposed 'first teamers' out, it was a good performance! COYB's!

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:46 pm

A good performance against poor opposition. Bristol's weak front line gave our defence an easy time so it is hard to say whether they looked any better than in the friendlies. This allowed the full backs to get forward more. When we face more difficult opposition imagine we will find it harder to get forward so much.

Regardless of that, there were many periods of good passing football. That was a real positive. Drinan and Bishop both had very good first halves, but less effective later as I suspect they tired. I thought Judge had a good game too.

Regarding Dozzell; people have different opinions understandably. Playing in the deep role, he is a different player to Skuse. He probably won't put in the same tackles or make the same interceptions as Skuse. The difference is those were Skuse's strengths, when we were not in possession. When in possession he is far less effective. That is when Dozzell is at his best. He wants the ball from the defence, something Skuse is reluctant to do. He will try to use the ball with the incisive pass. But anyone picking up the ball from the defence is likely to be facing his own goal, so I wouldn't criticise him if many passes go sideways. Far better than turning into trouble. I'd like to see him given a run of games in that position; whether that happens is probably more down down to how well the defence perform than his own performances. If the back line struggles, I imagine a Skuse type will come in to protect them more.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:58 pm

I think this is AD last chance tbh . He’s not a kid anymore and other younger midfielders are catching him up . He needs to produce the goods this season. Yes he may well leave the club, but I doubt he’ll do much at a higher lever , as he doesn’t possess ALL the attributes needed by a PL player ( IMO of course ) . Having said all that I’d be delighted to see him really shine this season .

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:45 am

Didn't get the score until far after game time and first impression was one of fulfilment. Thought we may go out today but seems the manager picked a capable team and read players showed desire and ambition with a comprehensive score. Were the opposition really poor, don't know, you can only view it as read in reports and analysis but this was for sure a step in the right direction.

We don't win cup games too often, elimination occurs real early more often than not and while take into account this was a first stage game and seems the opposition weren't up to much you got to allow plaudits where it's due. Would hope to progress beyond this, a run in a competition is good for morale, provides extra incentive as weeks and months conclude.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:49 am

Early days and one very good performance in the Cup doesn’t tell the whole story, but I thought that players like Drinan and Toto were the obvious ones to offload from the squad.

They’ve given themselves a chance of a place in the team, let alone the match day 18.

Difficult to know who to offload. I wouldn’t have minded to see the back of Dozzell, but he offers a deep-lying midfielder who wants to get on the ball and start moves.

Have to say, I think it’s more likely we’ll lighten the squad by getting loans for El Mizouni, Dobra, Ndaba and McGavin. Even though they’re exempt through age for the salary cap limits and I think El Mizouni and Dobra are ready to push for a place. However, it will make things easier for Lambert as he’s got far too many to pick from - which I don’t believe is a good problem in his case.

Hopefully, things become clearer and Lambert sticks to a core group of players.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:53 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:21 pm
https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... incredible the manager's view. He is a bit over the top to be honest.
I think Incredible is a bit strong too, that said we played some very attractive football at a good tempo for much of the game, dominated a mediocre opposition throughout and could have scored Five or Six so it's a good start which I think we needed to get confidence up, we now need to build on it and while the EFL cup is even more meaningless than the Carabao cup I still think a win would be a good thing Tuesday night. We did all that with half a side missing too so it is very encouraging and while we always say we don't want Lambert chopping and changing the side it's hard to imagine him not bringing in Norwood, KVY and Jackson when they are fit, add to that Downes if he stays.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:25 am

Last two posts......... 👍👍👍👍
That’s what I’m looking forward to the most come season start....... reviews and weekly squad news from you guys. Love it, and missed it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:48 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:53 am
derick_ipsw wrote:
I think Incredible is a bit strong too, that said we played some very attractive football at a good tempo for much of the game, dominated a mediocre opposition throughout and could have scored Five or Six so it's a good start which I think we needed to get confidence up, we now need to build on it and while the EFL cup is even more meaningless than the Carabao cup I still think a win would be a good thing Tuesday night. We did all that with half a side missing too so it is very encouraging and while we always say we don't want Lambert chopping and changing the side it's hard to imagine him not bringing in Norwood, KVY and Jackson when they are fit, add to that Downes if he stays.
At the moment, I don’t think he’s got any choice but to chop and change- until everyone’s fit. I can’t see us being settled for quite a few games.

I’d say the only near certain starters so far for Wigan would be Woolf, Chambers, Ward, Holy, Sears and probably Bishop.

I think Judge will make the team and I get the impression Lambo favours Nolan.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:49 am

Bluemike wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
Agree BM but lets not run before we walk, remember last season. :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:56 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:49 am
Bluemike wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
Agree BM but lets not run before we walk, remember last season. :wink:
Derick, NO, I don't want to remember last season !!! It never happened. :lol:

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:33 pm

Good result yesterday.

Always best to win regardless of the competition and why not try and win a pot if you can.

Off to see my Brizzie Rovers supporting Dad in a minute. Hopefully he won't pretend to be out - don't want to miss out on a nice piece of cake :lol: :wink:

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:38 pm

well I was pleasantly surprised by this. Played some good stuff and looked to be positive through the game.

I think Ward is a really good signing, and was also impressed with Drinan and Ndaba (when he came on).

Only weak links for me were Nolan and Judge - I'm still not sure about Judge, he's lazy, in fact the hardest he worked was rolling about in apparent agony after going down like a sack of sh*te from a heavy but fair challenge on 60 minutes

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:44 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
:lol: Yes, just managed to read it. A tad OTT. I think it was just pure relief.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:28 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:38 pm
well I was pleasantly surprised by this. Played some good stuff and looked to be positive through the game.

I think Ward is a really good signing, and was also impressed with Drinan and Ndaba (when he came on).

Only weak links for me were Nolan and Judge - I'm still not sure about Judge, he's lazy, in fact the hardest he worked was rolling about in apparent agony after going down like a sack of sh*te from a heavy but fair challenge on 60 minutes
Good to see you posting Rossi! What did you think of Dozzell's performance?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:38 pm

Having missed the build up banter on Friday and game yesterday whilst driving home from Portugal I was delighted to see the 3-0 win which must be one of our best opening game results for a long time. I know it was only a The Carabo Cup game but a win is a win and three goal margin with a clean sheet will be worth so much in terms of early season confidence. I’ve just watched online highlights and was amazed at our movement, pace, width and lethal finishing, where the hell was this in the second half of last season. I know the opposition was poor but you can only play what’s in front of you, and I know one swallow doesn’t make a summer, but all the same it’s good to get off with a positive start and a great result. Like many, I can’t wait for the League Campaign to start.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:45 am

Great to see hat result and as others have said, some great play too. The third goal was a great passing move that started with Holy.

Lambert's said that if players earn the shirt then they get to keep it so it will be interesting to see how this pans out over an early season schedule of 3 games in a week. I guess he is not counting the Tuesday game as a serious one in which case maybe the same 11 will line up against Wigan....

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:35 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:38 pm
......and lethal finishing, where the hell was this in the second half of last season.
To answer that part, In reference to the recent Bristol Rovers game ———> in the medical room with a fkd knee.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:18 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:35 am
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:38 pm
......and lethal finishing, where the hell was this in the second half of last season.
To answer that part, In reference to the recent Bristol Rovers game ———> in the medical room with a fkd knee.
What I don’t understand Marko is why we have so many injuries before the season has even kicked off. According to Mike we have KVY, Norwood and Jackson all injured, and Kenlock, Edwards and Donacien all unfit, that’s potentially half a team unavailable after playing just a few pre season friendlies. Surely this isn’t the norm at this time of the season for a professional football club.