Transfer Rumours

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ando

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:22 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:16 pm
Ando wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:41 pm
number 9 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:43 pm
So if I'm understanding the salary cap correctly, it only applies to players over 21? Sorry I'm being lazy. Here's a link for those who don't know.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 31414.html

It looks like the cap does not include players U21, or renewals for players under contract until they are 24...I think. So, at 2.5 million for the squad that doesn't leave much wiggle room for high quality loans and transfers. My point is, wouldn't the money from sales be better spent on the Academy and reinvestment to continue developing (Shut up Marko :lol:) our own U21 players that we will hopefully in the future re-sign until they're 24? Obviously we may not have to/want to/need to hang on to them until they're 24, but at least it will keep us within financial parameters until/if we ever get promoted. Of course we can throw in the odd loan or transfer, but how much quality are we really gonna get that keeps us under the cap? How much better than our homegrown youngsters will we even get? Just look at the Hurst recruits...are they really that much better than our youngsters?

Am I talking bollocks here?
I would like to see the money saved and try to get out of L1 with what we have and re-invest the money once in the championship rather than the academy.

There seems little point in spending it on players fees if you can’t pay them enough, you don’t spend 2-3 million on a player who greatly improves us only to pay him 1.5k a week unless you go with a much smaller squad. Unless we get promoted it’s will take another season after this coming one to the squad balance right.
To get out of L1, we could well need a player like Downes. Ridiculous with the amount of midfielders we’ve got, but can’t see a like-for-like replacement for Downes in our squad. We could get rid of 3-4 midfielders and wouldn’t miss them- but Downes is different. But I can’t see we have much choice either than sticking two fingers up to any suitors or going with the players we’ve got.
If Downes stays for an extra year and helps us go up, we can sell far higher and have more latitude to who we bring in.
Agree with all that Tang, I was coming from the angle he is going. Who can blame him, a London club, no relocation, life changing wages. Good luck to him.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:45 am

Interesting to read all the opinions on us being unable to reinvest transfer fees received. There is one way to do this though and that is to introduce a 'loan transfer fee'. This amount would be paid to the loaning club and equate to the salary that ITFC might otherwise be paying to the player during his loan.

Transfer fees are not included in the salary cap and the loan player is still contracted to the loaning club so I would say that clubs could make as many of these deals as they want since they won't be paying salaries for the player loaned. Within the Champ I would imagine that there might be quite a number of players who could replace Downes available on loan and maybe even one or two with more experience.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:16 am

If we really want to bring a player in, do we have to name all our existing players for the 20 or 22 man limit? We could, for example, not name Toto to free up some space on the budget. We’d still have to pay him, but not play him. Or, as I’ve read, we could settle up contracts - that’s exempt from the salary cap. Not very financially efficient, but that’s where we are and we are getting hit financially more every season we’re in L1.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:45 am
Interesting to read all the opinions on us being unable to reinvest transfer fees received. There is one way to do this though and that is to introduce a 'loan transfer fee'. This amount would be paid to the loaning club and equate to the salary that ITFC might otherwise be paying to the player during his loan.

Transfer fees are not included in the salary cap and the loan player is still contracted to the loaning club so I would say that clubs could make as many of these deals as they want since they won't be paying salaries for the player loaned. Within the Champ I would imagine that there might be quite a number of players who could replace Downes available on loan and maybe even one or two with more experience.
Well this might explain why we keep seeing Norwood being linked with various clubs on a loan basis. I think we’re trying to offload his very high wages .

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:50 pm

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2020/septem ... eculation/
Makes for interesting reading and if a transfer request has been handed in, then i hope Town can hold out for thr best price possible.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:01 pm

I have spoken to him and told him to have a couple of days off. It will give him time to clear his head and then he’ll be back with us again next week"
“I’d expect Flynn to be with us when the transfer window closes in October – unless someone comes up with an offer that the Club has to consider and we are a long way off that at the moment."

Looks like he’s off then.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:49 pm

I'm glad he's not being considered, the only decision to make.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:32 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:40 pm

Fake account

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:06 pm

I know there’s been a lot of false rumours going around, but there must be some issue regarding Norwood.

When you get clubs like Fleetwood, Dundee Utd and Swindon linked with loan moves something’s not right. They’re not big enough clubs that can afford to buy him or take on his wages. They wouldn’t be sniffing around if everything was alright between Town and Norwood. Something doesn’t add up.

It’s not as if we’ve got a surplus of strikers.... and. I’d say the 4-4-3 would suit Norwood more than Jackson.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:37 pm

There is something very odd about all this talk, of course it seems it's other teams doing most of the talking.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:52 pm

I guess his agent has advertised him as being unhappy at ITFC and looking to make some money out of moving him. It’s up to the boss to convince him he’s better off staying at Portman Road.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:37 pm

A £ 1 million bid for Jackson from Bournemouth has been turned down, sky sports news says they are looking at other options, with all the money they are receiving for players you would have expected a better offer.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:03 pm

Yay someone has made a football related post, well done KB.
As to the story, I'm glad we've turned it down, I like and rate Jackson, just another player ITFC seem to have buggered up and yet another example of our fans not seeing it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:06 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:37 pm
A £ 1 million bid for Jackson from Bournemouth has been turned down, sky sports news says they are looking at other options, with all the money they are receiving for players you would have expected a better offer.
That would make sense for us if we could get back our money on Jackson. Can’t exactly see where Jackson fits into our system - unless he’s played wide right. Decent player, but if he goes, then hopefully we re-invest.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:08 pm

I didn't think we could reinvest?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:15 pm

I like Jackson and also think he can do a job on the right saying that I thought Edwards could on the left as he did at Peterborough but he's seldom played there.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:08 pm
I didn't think we could reinvest?
Dunno..... are we maxed out on the 2.5 million limit? We’d probably have to offload a couple more senior players to free up a decent player’s wages. Can’t help feel Jackson will only be a bench player if he can’t adapt to our system.
With that pace, he’d be handy out wide, but not sure he could track back and do more defensive duties.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:38 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:15 pm
I like Jackson and also think he can do a job on the right saying that I thought Edwards could on the left as he did at Peterborough but he's seldom played there.
I thought Edwards could do a job on the left - he did well there at Posh. Looks like SuperFreddie’s got that wide left slot sown up, though.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:19 pm

Out of all the strikers Jackson would be the one that doesn’t fit the system and benefits from being part of a front 2. But he is different to what we have. If we are to sell one it will be Jackson. He would be off the wage bill therefore would there be enough in the salary budget to invest the fee in another player, Garbutt for instance? Peterbourgh have just done it.

Also with the emergence of Drinan we have back up for Norwood and Hawkins.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:22 pm

I don’t want us to sell any of our better players . We need them to gain promotion this season.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:44 pm

What did Jackson do for us last season? Bugger all in the second half of the season like many of the players. That's why I'm not too concerned about Jackson or Norwood leaving, especially with the emergence of Drinan and the re-emergence of Freddie. If we can re-invest whatever is left under the cap, maybe we can give our defence a bit of depth. We deffo don't need any more midfielders!

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:53 pm

A fully fit Norwood gets 20 goals a season imo. It was noticeable our dip started with his and KVY injuries. Drinan although improving is miles behind Norwood.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:55 pm

Ando wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:53 pm
A fully fit Norwood gets 20 goals a season imo. It was noticeable our dip started with his and KVY injuries. Drinan although improving is miles behind Norwood.
Will Norwood ever be fully fit?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:00 pm

And does he want to be here ?

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:09 pm

Yes and yes, too many silly rumours flying around. I think he still hungry and has ambition, his off field antics make him a easier target than most. Can PL man manage him that’s the key.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:10 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:44 pm
What did Jackson do for us last season? Bugger all in the second half of the season like many of the players. That's why I'm not too concerned about Jackson or Norwood leaving, especially with the emergence of Drinan and the re-emergence of Freddie. If we can re-invest whatever is left under the cap, maybe we can give our defence a bit of depth. We deffo don't need any more midfielders!
Wasnt he our joint top scorer? He works best in two striker combo IMO. I’d like to see him with Drinan or the new CF we’ve brought in , preferably tonight to see how it works.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:10 pm

Nothing to do with Town but Bersant Celina has left Swansea after 79 appearances and 10 goals to join French div 1 side Dijon, I liked him for Town but looks like he's not kicked on.

And McGavin has signed a new two year deal.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:34 am

Yes I loved Celina too. Wish we had players like him here.

Town certainly appear to be following their plan of signing up young players , either of our own making or bringing in younger players they feel, they can develop further. All bodes well going forwards. I also like the stance we are taking ,” you want our best players , you pay what we want”