Lambo gets tough

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Lambo gets tough

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:04 am

Interview with Lambert. Looks like he’s going for the ruthless approach.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/lambert-o ... -1-6830689

Interesting comments about last season when he went for the two up top, instead of his preferred one central striker.

I’ll tell you what it was,” he says. “We went to Germany, worked with the guys and both Kayden Jackson and James Norwood were firing on all cylinders. They were scoring goals left, right and centre, were really on a hot streak, so that’s why I went with two up front for the first game.

Then obviously we started really well and it becomes hard to change. In truth though, we just weren’t playing the type of football that I wanted to see us playing, even when we were getting results from it.“

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Lambo gets tough

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:51 am

I like that interview and the approach he is taking, it was clear to a blind man that the speed we moved the ball against Rovers and 1st half Tuesday evening was so much quicker than last season, I'm so pleased he's found his favoured style and is going to stick with it. Looking forward to this season.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:03 am

Talk is cheap results are what matter. What's the point of pretty football if we getting beaten. Win games get promoted that's the bottom line.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:51 am

If he’s going to be more ruthless, then it’s fine by me. Absolutely spineless and rudderless at times last season.

The big questions for Lambo is who he favours as his best eleven. We’ve all got our favourites and Lambert won’t please all, but he’s got to stick with the team as best he can - until there’s a point where a player drops their standards or they’re injured.
Not convinced that Dozzell is defensively savvy enough at League 1 level, but he might bring something extra to the team and needs a run. He wouldn’t have been my first choice, but after a few games under his belt we need to stick with him.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:54 am

The two aren't mutually exclusive. You can play attractive football and win. That's what let MM down, he preferred winning over good football. That's fine until you stop winning. Then there's nothing left.

I think we need to be a bit wary; The Bristol game did include some good footy with quick movement. But whether we manage it against teams who pin us back a bit remains to be seen.

Looking forward to Sunday for msny reasons; apart from the return to league footy, it will be interesting to see the starting 11. It's a game that we should win in theory.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:09 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:03 am
Talk is cheap results are what matter. What's the point of pretty football if we getting beaten. Win games get promoted that's the bottom line.
Should have stuck with Mccarthy then.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:39 am

Lambo gets “incredible”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:42 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:51 am
I like that interview and the approach he is taking, it was clear to a blind man that the speed we moved the ball against Rovers and 1st half Tuesday evening was so much quicker than last season, I'm so pleased he's found his favoured style and is going to stick with it. Looking forward to this season.
So do I Mike. It actually reassured me that a tougher line is being taken with the players , and that Lambert has recognised he got things wrong too.

We move forwards now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:43 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:09 am
derick_ipsw wrote:
No thanks . If he’d have stayed our manager ai wouldn’t have renewed my ST after 50 years of following this Club.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:43 am

Bluemike wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
Mccarthy lost the plot then he lost the fans. Unfortunately he is still our most successful manager of late, did I want him to go. Yes. I would take winning and success over pretty and losing all day long.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:49 am

I think we need / want a mixture of both tbh. I has was very happy when MCCARTHY first came here. He steadied the ship and made us hard to beat. But that approach after 5 years wore thin and essentially became boring and sole destroying to watch. Evans clearly has a remit if owning a club that plays attractive football ( because we asked for it!), but we also have to be stronger and get rid of this soft underbelly, don’t you agree?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:07 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:43 am
Bluemike wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
No thanks . If he’d have stayed our manager ai wouldn’t have renewed my ST after 50 years of following this Club.
I feel a Yin / Yang reply here! Some long time supporters wouldn’t have renewed their tickets after 50 years plus of being holders, ...... and yet the club drop to its lowest tier for 58 years only 9 months after the door hit his backside.
🤷‍♂️
But I do agree and was in the “he had to go” camp. Things got too heated.
We were in the yins club, Hallam, ......but there were plenty Yangs out there who preferred consolidation over entertainment and probably took relegation harder.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:08 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:49 am
I think we need / want a mixture of both tbh. I has was very happy when MCCARTHY first came here. He steadied the ship and made us hard to beat. But that approach after 5 years wore thin and essentially became boring and sole destroying to watch. Evans clearly has a remit if owning a club that plays attractive football ( because we asked for it!), but we also have to be stronger and get rid of this soft underbelly, don’t you agree?
Absolutely Spot on that woman! 👌👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:19 pm

There was a lot of banter about Lambert being weak last season, and I welcome a change in his management style. The problem is, it's hard to change perceptions if the players have already seen that weak side. I like what I'm hearing though, about 'earning the shirt'...if players aren't performing they they should at least be moved to the bench. I mean players like Norwood and Judge especially. If they're not contributing, get them off.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:57 pm

Tough is a two dollar steak. Lambert isn't of a same plateau at least not in a managerial sense. When was the last time we had a team coach here that could be labeled 'ruthless' or implemented such measures. Keane should have fit in ideally but never shown the same aggression as manager as before on the field.

No-nonsense managers often make the best candidates. Put stray or underperforming team units in their place albeit with a steady approach. Hard words in the right places and moments arise can invariably provide results. Too many 'soft' managerial names here over enough time, seen them all come and go. Lambert can make proclomations of what he desires from himself and the team but it requires to walk the walk not talk it.