Local football

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

Local football

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:52 pm

With Ipswich kicking off on Sunday, i thought i would see if any other people are taking in any local football for their footie fix?

For me, having just started my holidays (and therefore not working for once), i am going to (hopefully) watch my local team Wymondham Town, in a Norfolk v Suffolk match against Bungay Town. What makes this an interesting game is that both teams occupy the bottom 2 spaces of Anglian Combination Div One, having lost their opening games 7-0 and 1-7 respectively!

Not really sure what happened in Wymondham's case, last season was cruelly curtailed with them as Champions, 17 points clear at the top and a +39 GD. I think they have perenially suffered as a yo-yo team, who lack continuity and stability - committee, coaching and playing staff regularly changing. Ill discipline has cost them too, having being relegated from the Premier League 2018/19 purely for their disciplinary record. That said, they have reached the Semi-finals and Q-finals of the Norfolk Senior Cup in last 3 seasons.
Based on last season (and previous seasons at this level), an automatic promotion should be the aim. Hopefully their first games was one of those bizarre anomalies!
Anybody else want to tell us about their local team and prospects?

AzzurroMark

Re: Local football

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:15 pm

Lovely to just watch a football match on a lovely afternoon, even more so when my team won 3-0. :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:53 pm

I have never watched a local game but I know lots do, pleased you got to see your team win Mate

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:21 pm

I remember Wymondhsm about 40 years ago in the days when Southwold were in the Anglian Combination. At least you are still there, Southwold dropped out years ago I think when they were struggling to get 2 teams.

I loved those days; every Saturday morning I marked out the pitch, put up the goalposts on Southwold Common....And chased around for players if someone dropped out. That was all before getting to kick a ball on the afternoon.

Have to say that since I moved 20 miles away 35 years ago I haven't once ventured back to watch them.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:51 pm

Andym wrote: โ†‘
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:21 pm
I remember Wymondhsm about 40 years ago in the days when Southwold were in the Anglian Combination. At least you are still there, Southwold dropped out years ago I think when they were struggling to get 2 teams.

I loved those days; every Saturday morning I marked out the pitch, put up the goalposts on Southwold Common....And chased around for players if someone dropped out. That was all before getting to kick a ball on the afternoon.

Have to say that since I moved 20 miles away 35 years ago I haven't once ventured back to watch them.
Good old days. Remember myself helping put nets up, roping off the pitch and putting dugouts up. Nice to have been part of it for short time i served on committee.

Realised today how much i miss watching my local team.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:07 am

Different story up here, Azzurro. The local stuff is probably โ€œsaferโ€ nowadays but certainly in days gone by, it could get rather serious. The north west area of Edinburgh, (Pilton) ..... mid to late 80s , a Pilton v West Pilton game ended with five ambulances on the pitch. ๐Ÿ‘

Glad your team won ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:41 am

Went to my brotherโ€™s game years ago, and the opposing team chased the ref threatening violence. The police had to be called to resolve the situation after a few punches and kicks.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:19 am

marko69 wrote: โ†‘
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:07 am
Different story up here, Azzurro. The local stuff is probably โ€œsaferโ€ nowadays but certainly in days gone by, it could get rather serious. The north west area of Edinburgh, (Pilton) ..... mid to late 80s , a Pilton v West Pilton game ended with five ambulances on the pitch. ๐Ÿ‘

This is real local stuff and what we all want lol

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:27 am

number 9 wrote: โ†‘
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:41 am
Went to my brotherโ€™s game years ago, and the opposing team chased the ref threatening violence. The police had to be called to resolve the situation after a few punches and kicks.
in my late teens, the dirtiest team we played was undoubtedly Luton Police.
Best memory of that: after about 20 minutes, the ball got stick on the top of the net (remember those days?) and one of the coppers pulled on the crossbar to bounce it off. The crossbar snapped in half. We moved to a new pitch and the ref insisted we had to start again and play a full 90 minutes on top if the 20 already played.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:48 am

Wow, does sound pretty rough! Were you banned from playing for life after that Marko? :wink: :lol: :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:48 am

Dirtiest team that I faced was Blundeston when I started playing menโ€™s football at 16. Blundeston had a prison and Iโ€™m not sure if the team was comprised of the guards or the inmates. It was the days of the Crazy Gang and they were all 6 footers and nasty - pure intimidation. Within a minute there were threats of leg breaks. Needless to say, I didnโ€™t risk any 50-50โ€™s and our senior players went missing, as did the ref. It was just survival. We only lost 3-0 because they were terrible footballers. They would have won 10-0 if they had any ability.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:47 am

AzzurroMark wrote: โ†‘
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:48 am

Wow, does sound pretty rough! Were you banned from playing for life after that Marko? :wink: :lol: :lol:
:lol: Thankfully wasn't anywhere near it, Azzurro,....., it made local news headlines.

And apologies for sending the thread down the "local football nutters" road but that really was a thing back then. I'm from SE Edinburgh and when teams like Niddrie & Craigmillar met?? :shock: Holy hell, batten down the hatches.

But even now, what's called the "juniors" in Scotland which is actually retired seniors, (very confusing) ...... the most local team to me is Bo'ness United and went along there to a United v team from Glasgow game , can't remember........ Was worse than an Edinburgh derby. Even me and my buddy were stared at by Bo'ness people as if to say, "who the fk are these guys!"
I even said to one guy whos face looked a bit twisted, "Aw right mate, how's the new boiler?" ...... Then he recognised me from installing his new boiler. Wasn't in work attire and he thought we were Glaswegians in the "wrong end"!

Did go to a Sittingbourne v Gravesend & Northfleet game back in 97. 3-0 the Fleet!

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:51 pm

Been running a youth team for 3 years U14 -U16, Loved every minute. Watched my lad play U18 Footie today, great viewing. Having a vested interest makes compelling viewing regardless of the level. Togetherness, regardless of anything else is what itโ€™s all about.

I would rather watch grass roots football over Premier League and internationals.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:08 pm

100% Ando. Definitely one of the worst things about the children getting older. Not being able to watch the Sunday morning league stuff. When my youngest decided he'd had enough, definitely ruined MY Sundays. Used to love the games nearer November / December time. Cold crisp mornings, watching them warm up, then the game itself, then a wee bacon roll at full time.

Then one Sunday @ U19 time.......

"Scott, come on man, you'll be late."
"Ah dad, was a bit pished last night......."

Days were over. :(

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:20 pm

Ando wrote: โ†‘
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:51 pm
Been running a youth team for 3 years U14 -U16, Loved every minute. Watched my lad play U18 Footie today, great viewing. Having a vested interest makes compelling viewing regardless of the level. Togetherness, regardless of anything else is what itโ€™s all about.

I would rather watch grass roots football over Premier League and internationals.
I'd agrree with that last sentiment. Watching local footie has something about it. Players who (certainly in Wymondham's case) who you'll find in the clubhouse after the match, mixing with supporters. They are not money-centric, and therefore not distanced from your average person. All the supporters will often know each other fairly well. It is like being part of an extended family.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:21 pm

Seeing as Chambo is such a community person maybe he could turn up and play Saturday morning football which with all honesty would be very beneficial to ITFC..