Ipswich Town vs Wigan Athletic Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Winning start to our League 1 season?

Town Win
69%
Wigan Win
8%
Draw
23%

Total votes: 13

number 9

Re: Ipswich Town vs Wigan Athletic Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:56 pm

Ando wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:43 pm
I really wonder what some fans expect sometimes, I really do. 2 goals, clean sheet, plenty of chances created, dominated possession for long periods. Only a 15 minute period in the second half did we looked stretched.

I have said this before and will say it again, in professional football it is very rare one team controls the game for 90 minutes, especially league games.

People spend too much time looking at the negatives rather than positives.
I don't think it's all negative, Ando. I think we all want to be in a position to try and get promoted this season. Unfortunately a lot of us are a little too critical at times, but you can't argue there's room for improvement from last season? I tried to point out the positives and negatives of today's match from my perspective, and I'm very happy we won obviously! I personally just want us to be a bit more ruthless.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 pm

Couldn't agree more with the last sentence, been that way with Town fans for years.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:33 pm

Yes of course there is room for improvement from last season. But last season is last season and we need to look forward imo, what has been has gone.

3 or 4 of our best players out today and we still played decent football for sustained periods. Great to see Bishop on the score sheet. But for me Dozzell is the heartbeat of the team without a shadow of a doubt. You can see why he was picked ahead of Downs at England U21’s level. If he stays fit and performs consistently we have a real chance this year. I can see bids coming in for him before the transfer window closes.

Drinan did well first half however Norwood looks much more of a threat in behind and will only get sharper.

Nsiala had a great game up against Garner, but teams with pace in behind will test our back four. Was there anyone who had a below par game? I can’t recall any.

Judge is miles better than this time last year as is Edwards, Bishop, Huws and Dozzell. I think we are looking pretty decent. My slight concern is do we have enough in the games where we need to roll up our sleeves and really really scrap whilst trying to play our passing game.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:30 pm

well said ^^^

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:25 am

Ando wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:33 pm
Yes of course there is room for improvement from last season. But last season is last season and we need to look forward imo, what has been has gone.

3 or 4 of our best players out today and we still played decent football for sustained periods. Great to see Bishop on the score sheet. But for me Dozzell is the heartbeat of the team without a shadow of a doubt. You can see why he was picked ahead of Downs at England U21’s level. If he stays fit and performs consistently we have a real chance this year. I can see bids coming in for him before the transfer window closes.

Drinan did well first half however Norwood looks much more of a threat in behind and will only get sharper.

Nsiala had a great game up against Garner, but teams with pace in behind will test our back four. Was there anyone who had a below par game? I can’t recall any.

Judge is miles better than this time last year as is Edwards, Bishop, Huws and Dozzell. I think we are looking pretty decent. My slight concern is do we have enough in the games where we need to roll up our sleeves and really really scrap whilst trying to play our passing game.
Agree with a lot of that. It wasn’t a perfect performance and nothing to suggest we’re going to storm the league, but the football was better or, at least, the intent. It’s good to see a deep-lying player like Dozzell want the ball and have the intent to look up and play forward. I can see him being targeted in the future and I think, without Downes, we’re a bit lightweight in midfield- but good to see nonetheless. I thought Nolan grew stronger as the game went on as Dozzell started to fade.
Unlike Ando, I didn’t think Toto had a great game. He wasn’t a liability, but I thought he struggled against a smaller player in Garner and was a bit sloppy in the second half. I’d put Wilson above him in the pecking order. In fact, I thought we were pretty shoddy with our marking at set-pieces in the first half. I don’t know how they managed to get two free headers so easily - we’ll get punished if that isn’t sorted. And for a 6 ft 9 inch GK, Holy really doesn’t like to come off his line. With his size, he should be commanding his box.
For me Ward was our MOM. Just very calm and solid and decent going forward.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:56 am

You'd think the Club would get in the likes of Butcher to do some coaching for the defenders (all defenders at the Club, not just first team)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:59 am

A win is a win and at the very least the fear of playing in front of the cameras can be cast aside and we can all look forward to our next televised game with less apprehension.

We mustn’t get carried away as we won’t face many less experienced sides than the one we played yesterday and with this in mind we should probably have won with more to spare.

I agree with Ward as MOTM and hopefully he can maintain this level of performance. My optimism is currently running high as I’d really like to see the back of this Division but it worries me that we are one of 9 clubs in League 1 that fallen from the EPL, all desperate for better times to return to their football club.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:11 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:56 am
You'd think the Club would get in the likes of Butcher to do some coaching for the defenders (all defenders at the Club, not just first team)
With respect Hallam, I reckon the game has changed a lot since Butcher was bossing opposition attackers.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:13 am

I'm really happy with this result. Nobody has the right to a win just by turning up and we have what we all wanted. It almost doesn't matter how it happened but now we should have our tails up, especially with the next league game against a team that we have just roundly beaten.

Even the highlights show some great football being played too and finally we have a style developing that we have all been trying out for. The ball moving at pace.

Just one game nut they only give 3 points for a win so we can't do better.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:09 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:11 am
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:56 am
With respect Hallam, I reckon the game has changed a lot since Butcher was bossing opposition attackers.
Really! Do you think so? What’s to change about man to man or space ( zone) marking? I’d honestly have thought that was basic defending whatever the era......oh well.... they need some coach8mg I think 🤔 :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:10 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:13 am
I'm really happy with this result. Nobody has the right to a win just by turning up and we have what we all wanted. It almost doesn't matter how it happened but now we should have our tails up, especially with the next league game against a team that we have just roundly beaten.

Even the highlights show some great football being played too and finally we have a style developing that we have all been trying out for. The ball moving at pace.

Just one game nut they only give 3 points for a win so we can't do better.
Spot on DB 👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Team got a win, bottom line it were a perfect start. Alright the opposition have endured a number of setbacks and adversity in recent time and fielded a disrupted squad but take nothing away we appeared to show enough character to win the game and deserve three points with it.

One game never makes a season, it's all about consistency and finding a settled team that proves competitive and able to challenge. While not imperative the team makes it back to the second level by end of season all you ask is enough commitment is shown and a desire to win. Who we got next Bristol once more and Rochdale (?) Not getting too far ahead but the chance of six points is very much there. A win over Fulham in the cup game may be asking too much but the opportunity is evident for further belief ahead.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:49 pm

Wigan are / will be no push overs this season. Sunday they had 11 players trying to impress a new manager in order to cement their place . There’s a couple or more of their players that’d get into our team easily I think .

That was a very good 3pts for Town .

Personally Saint, is actually prefer us out of all cup companies season as early as possible. We don’t need them.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:15 pm

Anybody who think Wigan are or will be no be no push over in this league before January I'm sorry are deluded. We made Wigan look ok with poor marking and poor passing. Watch there next few resuits and you will realise. If I am wrong i will apologise.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:42 pm

Time will tell I guess.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:10 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:15 pm
Anybody who think Wigan are or will be no be no push over in this league before January I'm sorry are deluded. We made Wigan look ok with poor marking and poor passing. Watch there next few resuits and you will realise. If I am wrong i will apologise.
I think it's true that we made them look better than they were. So many high balls in the first half giving it away all the time. And as you say our marking at times was non existent.

On the other hand there were wines when we just couldn't get the ball at all - was it 80% possession they had in a 10 minute spell second half?

It wasn't all negative as we played some good stuff at times, but if Wigan can't score when presented with such good chances then they will struggle.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:42 am

People said how crap Bristol Rovers were cus we beat them so easily and yet Sunderland failed to beat them at home Saturday.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:20 am

Just far too early to tell how good we’ll be or how good this result was. But it’s three points in the bag and some decent football in patches. It’s a positive we can moan at missed chances because last season we struggled to even make chances. No-one had a bad game.

After a while teams will work us out and they’ll probably man-mark Dozzell and they’ll try and exploit us at set-pieces (unless we sort that out). It’s when we get a more ruthless, well-drilled physical side that we’ll know how good we are.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:06 am

They man marked Dozzell Sunday.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:35 am

He'd better start getting used to that Mike. Its going to happen every game I suspect.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:42 am
People said how crap Bristol Rovers were cus we beat them so easily and yet Sunderland failed to beat them at home Saturday.
I think that's very true, although a Sunderland- supporting friend told me they did everything but score. Let's not forget we are playing attractive and incisive footy when we keep it on the ground.

My opinion (which isn't worth much I admit) is that we are capable of good football. Our stumbling blocks are:
our skilful midfield is young and a little lightweight, made more noticeable by Downes absence;
our defence looks shockingly suspect both in defending crosses (made worse with Chambers out of position) and in possession;
we struggle when a team closes is down (although the midfield looks promising at creating space).

I think we need to be realistic in what we have and what we want. To use the Skuse v Dozzell argument as an example:
Dozzell will try to take the ball from defenders. He will try to use the ball quickly and effectively. He won't break up play and protect a shaky defence. Reverse this fir Skuse who will offer much more protection without being creative. It could be the difference between a 3-2 defeat playing attractive footy and scraping a 0-0 bore draw. I guess I'm talking about the difference between relatively inexperienced and lightweight creativity against MM's "hairy-arsed blokes". At the end of the day I'd like to see a manager try the former but make well-timed substitutions towards the latter if it's not working.