Transfer Rumours

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:09 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:34 am
Yes I loved Celina too. Wish we had players like him here.

Town certainly appear to be following their plan of signing up young players , either of our own making or bringing in younger players they feel, they can develop further. All bodes well going forwards. I also like the stance we are taking ,” you want our best players , you pay what we want”
I think this is a good policy and bodes well for the future Liz, as long as we stick to it !

You certainly don’t need to pick up many Ollie Watkins to make it very worthwhile. What was it £28m Brentford just sold him for after picking him up inexpensively from Exeter as a 21yr old. To achieve this you though you need a pretty cute network of scouts looking out for talent.

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:05 pm

You have to play the talent you have to increase the value, something that has not happened since ME took over a succession of managers looking for the quick fix has probably cost The club millions.

I think the only good thing to come out of the salary cap is we are forced to use our own talent.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:21 pm

That's right. Talent in the form of Academy players. We've had so many journeyman over the years, it's refreshing that we're finally giving our youngsters a chance. I'm not sure I agree with Dobra and El Mizouni going out on loan. I was hoping they'd get a chance to earn the shirt. I'd prefer Dobra over Nolan, but that's just me.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:26 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:21 pm
That's right. Talent in the form of Academy players. We've had so many journeyman over the years, it's refreshing that we're finally giving our youngsters a chance. I'm not sure I agree with Dobra and El Mizouni going out on loan. I was hoping they'd get a chance to earn the shirt. I'd prefer Dobra over Nolan, but that's just me.

I agree I think both Dobra and El Mizouni should stay and given game time off the bench when needed or when we are a couple of goals in front.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:41 pm

I totally agree with that. But on hearing PL talk in an interview these last few days , I think he rationale for wanting them to go out on loan, is to make them realise what they have here at ITFC, ie by playing for a much smaller Club. I think he’s trying to wise them up and if they play in League two, toughen them up too.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Reports of Birmingham in for Jackson £2.5mil apparently.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:14 pm

That's probably enough but would be sad to see him go.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:30 pm

Same here but if PL can't find a way for him to be in the team at least it's a good deal for the club. Garbutt back would be good but can't see it happening.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:36 pm

2.5 mil is probably an accurate valuation of Jackson. With the uncertainty of how/if transfer funds may be re-invested, it's hard to get excited about any player leaving. I am interested to see how Jackson deals with the situation. I bet he'll be more professional about it than young Downes has been.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:31 pm

Problem is with all this speculation on how much we could get for a player, the Club never actually receives this money all 8n one go, bu5 in dr8bs and drabs, which effectively makes it meaningless in terms of securing a replacement . I also don’t think we would bring anyone else in....we can’t can we?
Last edited by hallamblue on Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:59 pm

I just can’t see Jackson fitting into the side.... so it makes sense to offload. I’d like to see Lambert try him out wide, but Lambert is adamant he’s just a central striker. I can see Lambert going with Norwood or Drinan or Hawkins instead of Jackson. What’s the point of jAckson being a sub at best? As he’s a senior player if he left then that frees up some salary cap wages so maybe we could bring in another player ... maybe a wide player or a central striker.
I don’t know how much wiggle room we’ve got with the salary cap if we want to bring in another player. We might have to free up three senior players wages to bring in one. I really don’t like the restrictions of this salary cap as moving on players for a profit is an essential part of the game and can benefit all parties if done correctly.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Is it also the number of players over 21 in the squad that’s an issue ? Not sure what our total squad demographic is , but as you say we might need to off load several players .

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:49 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:31 pm
Problem is with all this speculation on how much we could get for a player, the Club never actually receives this money all 8n one go, bu5 in dr8bs and drabs, which effectively makes it meaningless in terms of securing a replacement . I also don’t think we would bring anyone else in....we can’t can we?
We buy in dribs and drabs also, it works both ways.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:09 pm
Is it also the number of players over 21 in the squad that’s an issue ? Not sure what our total squad demographic is , but as you say we might need to off load several players .
Looking at the squad - who would also go to free up space?

The under 21’s dont count and it looks like El Mizouni, Dobra and McGavin will be out on loan.
I noticed Donacien was on the bench on Saturday. With Chambers preferred - does it mean he’s now our third-choice RB? He’s a candidate.
If Ndaba continues to show promise - can it mean we can offload either Toto or Wilson?

I can’t see Kenlock making it here. Is Tommy Smith good enough to deputise Ward?
I wonder if we knew about the salary cap was coming in would we have given Skuse a new contract?

That’s if we want to bring someone in. If we do, it has to be someone who can make a difference and be top end -and not a squad-filler. Then the problem becomes wages and fitting into the salary cap.
Another problem is that although we’ve got a massive squad - half the squad is injured or injury-prone- and we might need those extra players.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:19 pm

Injury prone squad. Exactly! So why send out Dobra & El Mazouni on loan? They both don’t count against the salary cap, and they have more potential than some of our starters. What if Dozzell sustains another season ending injury? Or Bish? Even Skuse is vulnerable at his age. You can’t manage a League One club like a Premier or Championship club. You’ve gotta protect what little assets you have and create affordable depth in the squad.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:30 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:19 pm
Injury prone squad. Exactly! So why send out Dobra & El Mazouni on loan? They both don’t count against the salary cap, and they have more potential than some of our starters. What if Dozzell sustains another season ending injury? Or Bish? Even Skuse is vulnerable at his age. You can’t manage a League One club like a Premier or Championship club. You’ve gotta protect what little assets you have and create affordable depth in the squad.
Or Bish? Surely you mean "when Bish". (Cue Airplane! quote)

!00% agree on Dobra and El Miz definitely not, (that's NOT) going out on loan. Read only good things. Get them playing, make them good enough to be regulars, Lambert.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:40 am

But we don't know the loan contracts being discussed. Maybe there will be recall clauses, in which case it would be great to have them back fit and game hardened in case we have some injuries no?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:57 am

I reckon the kids will go out on loan until Xmas , then come back , and if not required will go out again. But yes we’d be mad not to have a recall clause wouldn’t we.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:11 am

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:05 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:09 pm
Looking at the squad - who would also go to free up space?

The under 21’s dont count and it looks like El Mizouni, Dobra and McGavin will be out on loan.
I noticed Donacien was on the bench on Saturday. With Chambers preferred - does it mean he’s now our third-choice RB? He’s a candidate.
If Ndaba continues to show promise - can it mean we can offload either Toto or Wilson?

I can’t see Kenlock making it here. Is Tommy Smith good enough to deputise Ward?
I wonder if we knew about the salary cap was coming in would we have given Skuse a new contract?

That’s if we want to bring someone in. If we do, it has to be someone who can make a difference and be top end -and not a squad-filler. Then the problem becomes wages and fitting into the salary cap.
Another problem is that although we’ve got a massive squad - half the squad is injured or injury-prone- and we might need those extra players.
Thanks Tang :D . Lost of possibilities there really isn’t there. I guess the Club have got to try and get this right. Offload we clearly must, but we have an uncanny knack of accruing injuries by the cart load , so potentially could leave ourselves weaker.

But of the players you’ve identified, I’d say the three youngsters look blind for a loan spell ( not that I agree with it as would rather they play here but seems they are not perceived as yet “ ready”) . I’d expect them to go out on a short loan until Xmas initially, then return. If still not needed would go out again.

Defensively ( our Achilles heel), is a tricky one. As Toto has been out on loan before, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him loaned out again, whilst Donacian, who has never really cemented a place, I’d see him as off loading material. In truth neither are all that much and when their contracts are up ( if they are still here), I doubt will be renewed. Kenlock! Oh dear, what to say about him. I’d hoped he would push on once Knudsen had left, but he’s just not done it. The player that I think will be Wards deputy
( leapfrogging Kenlock), will be the much forgotten Tristan Nydam. I really rate this lad. Kenlock is probably destined for league two football with another club when he’s contract is up.

If we are allowed to bring any players in ( once offloading), it HAS to be a central defender doesn’t it. The much maligned Chambers is definitely in his final season I feel, and we need ideally three good young CB’s. We currently have Woolfie and Ndaba we ideally could do with. A mid 20’s CB to offer experience alongside either one of the the.

Defence , how good or bad it is this season will be pivotal I feel , to whether Town managed promotion or not. It’s a simple as that for me.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:34 am

number 9 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:19 pm
In a strange way, a good thing about loaning out El Mizouni or Dobra is that Lambert now seems clear-headed in who he wants in the team, rather than chopping and changing. I think El Mizouni or Dobra could do a job for us now - at least of the bench - but if they’ve got to leap-frog Downes, Bishop, Judge, Dozzell, Nolan, Skuse and Huws, then their game time is going to be limited. Better they get a decent half-season loan than wallowing in the 23’s.
It’s now or never for Bishop, Dozzell and Huws. Instead of wrapping them in cotton wool and easing them into fitness, then it’s best to play them consistently and see how their bodies hold up. If they can’t do it - then get the next cab on the rank.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:44 am

I think you'll all find Toto is very much in the frame for the first team atm not loaning out.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:17 am

And if he’s not? ———>

Best Judy Garland voice ......

“Toto, I don’t think we’re in the first team anymore. We must be getting loaned out.”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:48 am

Lol :lol: ....

I just wish I could feel I could trust Toto. People moan about Chambers, but I’d say Toto is the bigger liability.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:22 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:48 am
People moan about Chambers, but I’d say Toto is the bigger liability.
Everything about Toto will be bigger than Chambers.

On a more serious note though, Hallam, and must admit, I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now........, now that the hairdressers are slowly beginning to open......., will the players be looking for perm deals? There's not been much chat in that area of late and I just put it down to the lockdown thing.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:25 am

Before we bought him Nsiala was a star performer at Shrewsbury, just like Nolan. Maybe now they are both starting to rediscover this form for us. I would certainly not loan out Nsiala. Ndaba maybe yes, with a recall clause.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:54 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:22 am
hallamblue wrote:

On a more serious note though, Hallam, and must admit, I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now........, now that the hairdressers are slowly beginning to open......., will the players be looking for perm deals? There's not been much chat in that area of late and I just put it down to the lockdown thing.
:lol: :lol: I'm sure Toto beats Chambo all ends up ( so to speak )....as for perms ...wasnt that a 1980's thing? Seem to recall Keegan sportng a right dandy perm for far too many years ....

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:56 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:25 am
Before we bought him Nsiala was a star performer at Shrewsbury, just like Nolan. Maybe now they are both starting to rediscover this form for us. I would certainly not loan out Nsiala. Ndaba maybe yes, with a recall clause.
It would be great if Nsiala could recapture his Shrews form definitely. It'd save us a few bob for sure. But Im always waiting for him to get a booking with every tackle he makes . Think its the way he goes in , it just looks so clumsy.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:37 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:40 am
But we don't know the loan contracts being discussed. Maybe there will be recall clauses, in which case it would be great to have them back fit and game hardened in case we have some injuries no?
Yeah there will certainly be recall clauses, but that's not always cut and dry. Oh well, lets see what happens. I'm sure Lambert knows best. It just seems a bit risky, especially when you look at the history of the current squad.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:45 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:37 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:40 am
Yeah there will certainly be recall clauses, but that's not always cut and dry. Oh well, lets see what happens. I'm sure Lambert knows best. It just seems a bit risky, especially when you look at the history of the current squad.
Players on a season-long loan can be recalled by parent clubs in the January transfer window but only if the two clubs have agreed a recall clause in advance. A loan deal can be cancelled at any time in the season if both clubs concerned agree. “

So it’s either recall in January OR if all parties agree. If the young lads are doing well then can’t see a club agreeing to release any time in the season.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:46 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:54 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:22 am
hallamblue wrote:

:lol: :lol: I'm sure Toto beats Chambo all ends up ( so to speak )....as for perms ...wasnt that a 1980's thing? Seem to recall Keegan sportng a right dandy perm for far too many years ....
I initially posted this video as a joke, but if you have a minute listen to the interview. Remember, this is in 1983.

https://youtu.be/39NfsgZBgXw