Injuries at this Club

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Injuries at this Club

Post by hallamblue » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:50 am

This is just ridiculous. Just wtf do the Strength / Fitness coaches DO at this Club?? This really is past a joke now and there is SOMETHING not right about how they train and condition these athletes!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... post445725

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:51 am

What a sorry tale of woe. A couple of things though, I am finding it suspicious regarding Woolfy and Jackson, I feel this absence of those Two could be with a view to selling them on.

I also get the feeling we can forget about Kane Vincent-Young, he is looking more and more like a sick note with every passing month, don't see him ever playing unfortunately.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:48 pm

I've questioned our pre-player purchase screening in the past, and I assume the person responsible for those examinations is the team doctor and his assistants. Does anyone know how long the team doctor has been with ITFC? Is he one of ME's cronies?? I'm also assuming the team doctor is responsible for monitoring and advising treatment for injuries?

Players acquired who turned out to be crocked:
1. Huws
2. KVY

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:09 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:48 pm
I've questioned our pre-player purchase screening in the past, and I assume the person responsible for those examinations is the team doctor and his assistants. Does anyone know how long the team doctor has been with ITFC? Is he one of ME's cronies?? I'm also assuming the team doctor is responsible for monitoring and advising treatment for injuries?

Players acquired who turned out to be crocked:
1. Huws
2. KVY
3. Norwood
4. McGoldrick
5. Webster
6. Chopra

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:23 pm

Funny how McGoldrick goes off to Sheffield United & is fighting fit for the past 2 seasons. Webster seems to have done okay at Brighton, certainly better than at Town. Draw your own conclusion.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:49 pm

Our lack of fitness and our pkayers prone to injury has been an issue for sometime. A complete overhaul of our fitness measurements are long overdue.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:56 pm

I don't know what the training routine entails there. Guessing similar to other teams in the league, of course not as rigorous as the elite but you got a certain standard to meet.

Wouldn't label the training staff / medics as incompetent. If that were so they wouldn't be hired to begin with. Maybe our methods differ to other club outfits, I don't have the requisite answer. Yes we've had our share of players on the inactive roster but when taken into consideration is it really any more severe than other teams within our structure (?) You don't always see what goes on within other club set-ups around us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:14 am

I think you are right SJ, we don't see what goes on at other clubs and they are all probably in the same boat, I did read a few days ago that due to not playing for 5 or 6 months clubs are generally seeing on average a 16% upturn in injuries.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:41 pm

Not just injuries, players who don't really perform that well @ ITFC then go elsewhere and thrive. Keiffer Moore today for Cardiff away @ Forest. But he is a prize example.

2017–2018 Ipswich Town 11 (0)
2017–2018 Rotherham United (loan) 22 (13)
2018–2019 Barnsley 51 (21)
2019–2020 Wigan Athletic 36 (10)
2020– Cardiff City 2 (2)

It's weird.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:33 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:14 am
I think you are right SJ, we don't see what goes on at other clubs and they are all probably in the same boat, I did read a few days ago that due to not playing for 5 or 6 months clubs are generally seeing on average a 16% upturn in injuries.
I suppose that’s entirely reasonable isn’t it given the circumstances. But for Town it’s seems an endless conveyor belt from training ground ( not even from competitive matches), to the treatment room. Also our injuries always seem so catastrophic compared to the injuries and time out other Clubs appear to suffer. Drinan’s “thigh strain” Is likely to be a muscle fibre tear which is why it’s 2 months out. And the number of groin strains in seemingly fit young athletes is plain daft. Our rehab time for this and recurrence of further injury also to me appears higher than other clubs. It’s interesting to note that when players ( with injury records), leave this Club they seem to no longer be bothered by injury. Is this down to injury rehab, management, or body conditioning regimes?

I’ve questioned this club's injury records for at least three years now.Personally for me as a medic myself , I don’t accept its down to bad luck or chance. Something doesn’t “feel right”. I know the Club have taken a serious look at this issue, but it still appears to be a problem doesn’t it.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:26 pm

I've questioned the training pitch itself, as you say Liz, so many seem to be training ground injuries or not match day bad tackle type injuries (which are more a thing of luck).

Injuries don't generally just happen like a click of the fingers, things weaken and strain over time and then break down, straw breaking the camels back. Maybe it's overtraining, maybe it's the wrong kind of training, perhaps the pitch itself is simply too firm, too soft or not fit for purpose. Every player must run maybe 30 or 40 miles on it a week? If it's not right, it will show up in injuries and for the amount a player is worth, if I had any doubts whatsoever, I'd rip that thing up and make sure it was absolutely to the blade bob on perfect.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:08 pm

We have an undercover training facility don’t we . I’m not sure how much time we use this for or how much is “ time on grass”. But I do have concerns about the number, and type of injuries , and how long people stay out for .

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:52 pm

Drinan and Wolfy got injured playing not training so that theory of us doing something wrong is crazy.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:31 am

Well this is handy . The EADT have listed Towns injury list .

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... -1-6849544

Players include:

Norwood - Hamstring ( match incurred) due back.
Drinan- Hamstring ( match incurred). 2/12 out
KVY- Achilles ( training incurred) unknown return
Skuse- Knee ( pre season incurred) due back
Morris- ACL x 2 (pre / last season incurred) season out
Nydam- Ankle ( last season pre season incurred) 1 month
Woolfie- Groin ( pre season incurred) Unknown return

The important thing is these injuries should be viewed as an ongoing TREND at the Club which has existed for over 4 years , and appears not to be improving . The majority of these injuries were sustained in training or pre- season . One player gets TWO ACL injuries , why? What’s the training / rehab methods. One players gets an Achilles problem ( prior to joining us appears not to have had injuries problems ), this player hasn’t played any matches so again the question should be asked , why?

The Club needs to look again at this and try and identify potential factors ( intrinsic and extrinsic) . And when a player gets injured why is the return “ unknown “. Medical and rehab clinicians will know how long various types of injury will take to rehab . There is also a physiological time line fir tissue repair which all humans will repair along. So it should be no “mystery” to the medical team.

I’m just asking the questions that’s all!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:39 am

Pretty much all in match action then

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:42 am

Pre season games are part of the build up to the season proper . So to me it’s part of the training and physical preparation . It’s rarely full on or a full 90 mins for players.

But obviously these are just my views on the problem Mike. I just think it’s odd and it’s been a problem for many season now and all I’m doing is asking the question ,” why”?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:14 am

I wish I knew the answer mate, I would be asking you lol as your the one with skills lol.
I would like to see a comparison with other clubs mind you, that would be interesting

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:59 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:52 pm
Drinan and Wolfy got injured playing not training so that theory of us doing something wrong is crazy.
With that view I imagine you wouldn't know what a hamstring is if it slapped you across the face.

If I shovel 10 tonnes of sand one day and three days later I twinge my back lifting a cup of tea to my face, I'm sure as hell not going to blame the cup of tea.

Injuries, muscle and ligament strains are no single incident injuries, they are often primed over a period from imbalances, weaknesses, overuse, changes in use, lack of flexibility and condition etc. Sat on the sofa eating biscuits during lockdown and then playing professional football ticks a lot of those boxes!!

I'm not pointing fingers saying the club are "doing something wrong" or being negligent, merely that an injury more here or there can be just bad luck, but consistently and reliably more cannot. I don't know if Town have had loads more injuries than other teams and I don't know if something needs to change to improve that, but I wouldn't be leaving a stone unturned if I was part of the fitness or therapy team.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:33 am

OMG Ricco. Are you medical by any chance? This is so spot on.

Mike. I’m sure the Club have looked at other Clubs training, Medical interventions and rehab approach. It is supposed to be scientifically driven or as we say in the trade “ evidenced based practice “. I hope the Club are on the case and as Ricco so rightly says, leaving no stone unturned to try and minimise injury rates, and rehab time.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:04 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:33 am
OMG Ricco. Are you medical by any chance? This is so spot on.
Nope, just one of the many things I learn about while procrastinating away from the real world!! I am an engineer working in Biomed at a University, so a little knowledge about the human body doesn't hurt.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:54 pm

Having read Ricco's excellent post, I think we need to be aware that this season is different from any other. Players haven't had the normal pre-season to get match fit. The long break really won't have helped.

I remember years ago - I mean 40 years ago - a professionsl trainer told me that any player over the age of 28 shouldn't have a break of more than 2 weejs in the Summer as it takes so long to regain the lost fitness. Bearing in mind the huge break and the greater demands of the game now, n incresed number of injuries are inevitable.

As others have said, it would be good to see a comparison between clubs.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:05 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:54 pm
Having read Ricco's excellent post, I think we need to be aware that this season is different from any other. Players haven't had the normal pre-season to get match fit. The long break really won't have helped.

I remember years ago - I mean 40 years ago - a professionsl trainer told me that any player over the age of 28 shouldn't have a break of more than 2 weejs in the Summer as it takes so long to regain the lost fitness. Bearing in mind the huge break and the greater demands of the game now, n incresed number of injuries are inevitable.

As others have said, it would be good to see a comparison between clubs.
This has been happening for years, though.

Not sure anyone’s going to provide comparisons between clubs, but there’s been so many injuries and their recovery time has been so long.... going on for years. The post-Town careers of Webster and McGoldrick might be the best comparison or guide we can get.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:00 pm

Especially McGoldrick. Miraculously fantastic for the Blades.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:15 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:00 pm
David McGoldrick is an amazing example, maybe we could keep this study very inexpensive and just find out what Sheffield United do different to us in terms of players fitness, and in particular what they did for DMc to transform his personal fitness.

It would be be an interesting to simply compare his consecutive appearances for SUFC v ITFC.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:15 pm
marko69 wrote:
David McGoldrick is an amazing example, maybe we could keep this study very inexpensive and just find out what Sheffield United do different to us in terms of players fitness, and in particular what they did for DMc to transform his personal fitness.

It would be be an interesting to simply compare his consecutive appearances for SUFC v ITFC.
Strangely enough, Nathan Winder was appointed lead strengthening coach at SU. He’s the bloke who Paul Hurst brought in, but left when Hurst did. His appointment at SU didn’t coincide with McGoldrick’s miraculous recovery, but Hurst did make a big point of trying to improve things here with Sports Science. Easy to ridicule Hurst, but I think he was right in trying to improve things here as we’d had long-running issues with fitness.
We all know the Hurst legacy, but I have a bit of sympathy towards him in terms of trying to shake things up. He just wasn’t up to it and probably went in too much, too quickly.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:06 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:15 pm
marko69 wrote:

SUFC don’t actually play McGoldrick that much and rarely over a full 90 mins, so they are “ managing “ his frailty it seems. He had an atrocious injury record at Forest, before he joined us.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:14 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:06 pm
SUFC don’t actually play McGoldrick that much and rarely over a full 90 mins, so they are “ managing “ his frailty it seems. He had an atrocious injury record at Forest, before he joined us.
Not bad going for an estimated £28.5K a week.

Devastating for lower level clubs, but if Covid19 is to solve anything in the world, hopefully its the immorally high wages in certain sports. I mean, respect to them and pay them well........, but at the moment, (and for years) its been ludicrous.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:59 am
derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:52 pm
With that view I imagine you wouldn't know what a hamstring is if it slapped you across the face.

If I shovel 10 tonnes of sand one day and three days later I twinge my back lifting a cup of tea to my face, I'm sure as hell not going to blame the cup of tea.

Injuries, muscle and ligament strains are no single incident injuries, they are often primed over a period from imbalances, weaknesses, overuse, changes in use, lack of flexibility and condition etc. Sat on the sofa eating biscuits during lockdown and then playing professional football ticks a lot of those boxes!!

I'm not pointing fingers saying the club are "doing something wrong" or being negligent, merely that an injury more here or there can be just bad luck, but consistently and reliably more cannot. I don't know if Town have had loads more injuries than other teams and I don't know if something needs to change to improve that, but I wouldn't be leaving a stone unturned if I was part of the fitness or therapy team.
Seeing as the hamstring is in the rear upper leg and nowhere near the face, maybe it's you who might need a wake up slap across the face or at least a anatomy lesson. :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:06 am

Looks like a number of players ( Judge, hamstring, Skuse, knee, Woolfie, groin, Jackson, groin) are all back in training, finally. KVY still out with Achilles problem but is improving it seems. Hopefully a full compliment of players to choose from soon. 👍
COYBs

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... post446226

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:02 pm

Norwood spotted out in a Resturant but there were crutches at his table ( so some on TWTD have assumed they belonged to him)

Hopefully it was his mates crutches :lol: