Playing in Empty Stadiums - Advantage Visitors ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Playing in Empty Stadiums - Advantage Visitors ?

Post by Charnwood » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:37 pm

I’ve read a number of articles suggesting that playing in empty stadiums hands a significant advantage to the away side, any thoughts guys ?

Andym

Re: Playing in Empty Stadiums - Advantage Visitors ?

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:51 pm

Any reasoning behind it?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:43 am

Dependant on the venue you'd imagine. I can picture a game in say the San Siro Italy and opposing teams not having a collection of hardcore Milan ultras against them the entire duration. That's just one example. You could highlight Parkhead and Old Trafford for closer to home definitions.

Playing behind close doors at one time was so rare it barely requires mention. One notable instance was for those old enough West Ham in the Cup Winners Cup in 1980. Took a defeat in Spain in the first leg, crowd trouble ensued : they were forced to play the return in London in a vacated stadium but managed a 5 - 1 win if memory stands. Only relevant now because at the time as before such instances were almost unheard of, now the virus thing has taken hold it's becoming commonplace. Cut a long story short I don't think it favors the home team although on that occasion it plainly worked.

With no crowd you cut out vociferous support which can - or will - include profanities and more severe slurs - invariably targeted at visiting players - therefore without it a more controlled atmosphere is evident. These will invariably apply to more recognized or established club names than ourselves but nonetheless are in existence. It's the stupid cardboard cut-outs they need to remove, some I've seen on-line you could p*ss yourselves silly. Doesn't replace a crowd, it's a dumb-as* idea that really didn't need to be implemented.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:06 am

the cardboard cut ours are just a fund raiser I guess.

I can see that the lack of fans removed a bit of home advantage. But I can't see how it gives the away team an advantage.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:22 am

For me it's a leveller

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:41 am

Probably only an advantage in bigger derby matches. Hibs players trying to take corners at Shitey Tynecastle and abused, sometimes physically with bottles and coins. That's been removed. Although Hearts helped in that area by being relegated.
Yep. Relegated. Ta ta jambos.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:37 am

I believe when the Bundesliga restarted, there were a higher percentage of away wins than usual, but have not really paid much attention as to whether this is so here.
Like Mike mentions above, i believe it is a bit of a leveller. Take Nolan and more so Nsiala, yes we have adopted a different playing approach which might suit their style more, but i think the lack of fans berating them for every mistake is no coincidence for an upturn in their performances. I believe Toto has said things to that effect!
From a different level, some away players thrive on the stick the home fans give them, and more often than not end up ramming it down the fans throats, David Nugent springs to mind.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:48 am

And Steve Claridge :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:51 am

I think had Town been able t complete last season behind closed doors , we might actually have got promoted, since the team were in a bad place mentally and form wise and the clearly struggling at home ( under the pressure of an ever increasing hostile home crowd?)...so it can work both ways . It may actually help our layers to play behind closed doors this season.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:55 pm

Sorry but I can't accept that fans berating players had anything to do with our demise last season. Mounting injuries and poor management were the primary reasons for a horrible run of results after being 'Top of the League' in January. Likewise, I seriously doubt the absence of fans would have resulted in promotion. I hope this season is different.

However, the empty stadiums do seem to be affecting Premier League results much more so than lower league results. I think for the top clubs, the crowd restrictions have certainly been a leveler. I don't think it necessarily gives away teams an advantage exclusively; I think there is probably an effect on individual players both home and away. For example, it's probably easier for a player to maintain composure at critical points in a match without the ebbs and flows of a stadium full of supporters.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:11 pm

There is zero doubt in my mind that our fans had a big part to play in our relegation season and sacking of MM etc, it was toxic and you had to be there to appreciate it.I can name several games where it went too far.

As for last season, while I don't think it directly had a part to play in our slump it most definitely did affect certain players, Nsiala a classic case in point, Donacien, Kenlock were Two who deffo were targeted at times, Chambo was a popular target, none of it helps.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:45 pm

For me......,MASSIVE bonus in terms of pressure, for players with no fans present. Not saying they think its better. No chance; they'll prefer the buzz and the electric atmosphere. But the pressure is off. No doubt at all in my mind on that.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:18 pm

Obviously having a crowd behind a team gives that team an advantage, so on the face of it having no crowd ought to level things up for both teams.

But a bigger advantage is due to familiarisation - all pitches differ in size, orientation, undulation, etc. Therefore a team playing half a season on one pitch ought to (and does) have a distinct advantage as long as that team makes use of what is on offer. In our case, we have the longest pitch in the FL, so there is a lot to be said for playing the ball along the ground from defence through midfield and onto attack - another reason for not including Mr Skuse in any future first team.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:11 pm
There is zero doubt in my mind that our fans had a big part to play in our relegation season and sacking of MM etc, it was toxic and you had to be there to appreciate it.I can name several games where it went too far.

As for last season, while I don't think it directly had a part to play in our slump it most definitely did affect certain players, Nsiala a classic case in point, Donacien, Kenlock were Two who deffo were targeted at times, Chambo was a popular target, none of it helps.
It sounds like playing in an empty stadium is a big ✅ for our chances of promotion this season, so long as we can survive financially in the short term.