The game at serious risk of collapse in the Country

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

The game at serious risk of collapse in the Country

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:45 pm

And probably elsewhere in the world too , tbh....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54322650

I don’t see how the League one and two Clubs that couldn’t afford to fulfil their fixtures last season are in anyway more likely to be able to meet those commitments this season either.

So the EFL stating curtailment of this season would “be a last resort“, are hollow words I fear.

What are others thoughts please?

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: The game at serious risk of collapse in the Country

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:40 pm

My thoughts for what they are worth Hallam are this......., I just do not understand why there isn't news of more clubs going the way of Macclesfield. (Using Macclesfield only because Bury died pre-covid)

How are these clubs still operating? Three months of last seasons league fixtures not completed plus lower league cup comps etc etc, and then so far this season, no fans? How are they doing it? We haven't heard any news of players playing for nothing have we? Have I maybe missed that?

Said it before but i'll go start installing heating for fk all whilst taking wages, paying couple of the guys wages, buying materials and putting diesel in the vans. See how long that sh*t lasts.

Makes no sense.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:45 pm

I know marko . Makes no sense does it ! Either these clubs were telling a pile of porkies the first time round ( doubt it), or they are getting themselves more and more into debt through their banks , which will end in many clubs going to the wall because it’s totally unsustainable isn’t it. I cant see how else these clubs are getting any income other than through loans or from the EFL (if thats even possible ?)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:54 pm

Yep. All true.

This is the conundrum for me......., if i want a business loan......., they want three years minimum past accounts and projections for another couple years.
Ok, football clubs can offer "books" for past years......, but how can they give projections when its all closed down ----> Indefinitely??

These clubs must have secret local "Marcus Evans' " helping them out.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:09 pm

I just cannot see all clubs being able to fulfil all their fixtures this season. I’m not sure what ITFC’s wage bill is for the season but surely ME won’t be able to cover it all for the next 7/8 months and there must be other owners less well off than he is.

Tome the future of football looks pretty gloomy and I can’t see any help coming from the Government who have enough problems of their own.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:48 pm

Would love to join in more on this conversation but just had a call from one of the guys. Stranded on the M9. Thinks it might be a broken passenger side suspension coil
Must go call the government and see what the f*ck they’re going to do about it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Maybe Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan will come to the rescue:

"How many millions do you need Mr Parry?" :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:41 pm

I said last season that trying to bed it wasn't financially viable. I suggested waiting till March and then restarting it, i. e. take a year out.

Clubs could have furloughed their playing staff and saved a fortune. Currently it's costing clubs more money to play than it would not to. Unless you read the Daily Express and believed everything was going to be lovely, it was pretty obvious fans wouldn't be back in numbers for much of this season.

I'm afraid the game has brought it upon itself by having players on over inflated wages. I don't know the finances of the prem league clubs but I'd guess many fun st a loss....so how/why should they bale out the others? It's no longer a sport, its a business. And like may others, they won't be able to adapt quickly enough to survive. Sad but inevitable now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:14 pm

Very true Andy and Town ( even with Evans’ backing), are not exempt from going under . He’s taken a massive personal financial hit with CoVid on all his businesses , so why should he continue to stump up the £m’s in a kiss making arm of the Evans Corporation that are required just to keep ITFC afloat?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:52 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:14 pm
.....so why should he continue to stump up the £m’s.......
Yep. Especially when half of the support think he’s a tw@t.
Couldn’t imagine wilfully handing over cash, (essentially keeping the business alive,) to people who didn’t like me or my business dealings.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:54 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:06 pm
Maybe Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan will come to the rescue:

"How many millions do you need Mr Parry?" :lol:
Didn’t happen, 9 :lol:

But the new son-in-law to the rescue. Knew him all these years and didn’t know he replaced suspension coils on Fords. An incredibly sh*t day becomes a wonderful day. 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:34 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:52 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:14 pm
.....so why should he continue to stump up the £m’s.......
Yep. Especially when half of the support think he’s a tw@t.
Couldn’t imagine wilfully handing over cash, (essentially keeping the business alive,) to people who didn’t like me or my business dealings.
Only half ?? Hypocritical gits.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:44 pm

I'm sure if the richer clubs have to pitch in to save the leagues, there will be some kind of tax exemption. Btw, did you know Chelsea paid 20-mil for their 3rd string keeper? :shock:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:54 am

By the way did anyone notice that the other day Spurs fans were spending money in the Leyton Orient club shop in support of the club after their game was called off because of Covid positive tests at the 'Os?

Small beer I suppose but a nice gesture and recognition by some fans that there should be some effort to assist from the big clubs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshualaw/ ... 1a772415ef

Interesting also that Spurs paid for all the Covid testing of the 'Os squad.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:37 am

Can Barry Hearn not sort that out?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:24 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:54 am
By the way did anyone notice that the other day Spurs fans were spending money in the Leyton Orient club shop in support of the club after their game was called off because of Covid positive tests at the 'Os?

Small beer I suppose but a nice gesture and recognition by some fans that there should be some effort to assist from the big clubs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshualaw/ ... 1a772415ef

Interesting also that Spurs paid for all the Covid testing of the 'Os squad.
That a brilliant gesture tbh DB....but for some reason I can’t ever see myself setting foot in the scum supporters shop!!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:07 pm

Recently in a press release from ManU, the club stated it could lose 141-million with the extended crowd restrictions. Yet, they can still offer
91-million for Sancho. ManCity just paid 65-million for Dias. As I stated earlier, Chelsea paid 20-million for their 3rd string keeper. Surely, these clubs can chip in to protect the EFL. It's been said it will take around 250-million to save the EFL...91-mil + 65-mil + 20-mil= 176-mil...for 3 transfers. :roll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:55 pm

The bottom line is they don't give a flying f*ck if the likes of ITFC exist or not.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:11 pm

Premier league clubs made a combined total loss of £600 million in 2018-19. Im sure the figures for 2019-20 will be worse.

The whole industry has f*cked itself though overspending to seek higher levels or survival. I can't find figures on the Clubs' reserves or debts.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 56891.html

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:24 pm

I'd imagine most if not all owners and directors in the elite league don't give a rat's as* for the welfare of those teams some distance below them. Only looking after their own interests, too wrapped up in the commercial aspect and revenue that can be made, not worry about what Swindon or Bolton are up to on a Thursday night. Concur the wage structure and selling fees are (now) completely out of proportion, just no real rationality there anymore which is regrettable.

Putting in perspective the gulf between top league and those further down guess it's not too dissimilar to those asking for change on the street.
You're aware that they're there and sense a certain obligation to help out but too often it's easy to turn a blind eye and not concern yourself with other's issues.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:37 pm

saint jude wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:24 pm

Putting in perspective the gulf between top league and those further down guess it's not too dissimilar to those asking for change on the street.
You're aware that they're there and sense a certain obligation to help out but too often it's easy to turn a blind eye and not concern yourself with other's issues.
Very true. Many of those on the street are there though no fault of their own. Just trying and failing to keep their heads above water....