Injuries at this Club

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:32 am

I did have a peak at that story on TWTD. Someone took a sneaky picture of Norwood sitting at a restaurant and posted it on Twitter. Crutches leaning against a wall in background.

Whatever the injury situation about Norwood - people taking sneaky photos like that in public pisses me off. Surely, people should be allowed a bit of privacy.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:39 am

Yes I thought exactly the same . It’s an infringement of his personal space and private life - and to post it on social media is below the belt as well .

Just hope they weren’t his crutches though !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:00 am

More interested in what was on his plate. Steak & Ale pie with chips and onion rings?
TOO MANY CARBS, JAMES.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:42 am

Norwood out for up to 8 weeks hamstring injury, you couldn't make it up 😱 maybe Folami will given a chance and Jackson should be back for next week.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:44 am

They must have been his crutches . Out for 8 weeks.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/james-nor ... -1-6863606

I can’t help feel Norwood is jinxed here. I would have thought we’d be looking for another striker.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:31 am

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:44 am

I can’t help feel Norwood is jinxed here. I would have thought we’d be looking for another striker.
Will Keane? :lol: :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:29 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:31 am
tangfastic wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:44 am

Will Keane? :lol: :lol:
He certainly knows his way around a treatment room... so he’d fit in well.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:34 am

No loss on current form, get Jackson in

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:36 am

Well for me this just underlines the ongoing problem at this bloody Club. They clearly need to do another internal review of their systems deployed. Its bloody ridiculous.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:30 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:34 am
Agree with the first part. But j don't see Jackson as a lone striker. Might work alongside Hawkins but that would mean a change of system.

The way the midfield are moving the ball mire quickly could release Jackson to utilise jus pace. But we'd find ourselves with the other 10 players still in our own half 😂

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:33 am

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:29 am
He certainly knows his way around a treatment room... so he’d fit in well.
:lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:33 pm

Andym wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:30 am
Bluemike wrote:
Agree with the first part. But j don't see Jackson as a lone striker. Might work alongside Hawkins but that would mean a change of system.

The way the midfield are moving the ball mire quickly could release Jackson to utilise jus pace. But we'd find ourselves with the other 10 players still in our own half 😂
I can’t see Jackson adapting well as a lone striker. I wonder if there’s a young (under 21) big lump of a striker that a PL or a Championship team could loan us till January. That would get around the salary cap restrictions.
Not sure if Folami could do the lone striker job or is even ready yet. Mind you, Drinan came from nowhere and took his chance.

Goals from midfield are looking even more important now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:45 pm

Someone has just mentioned Tyreece Simpson? Why not, at least they are fit and play without fear. Give him a shot at it i say.

Or how about Jackson wide , and Sears as lone striker?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:41 pm

Simpson is a decent prospect but very raw atm, Jackson as a wide replacement for Sears with Hawkins up front is the way I would go. We have to accept relying on Sears as a striker is a disaster doomed to fail.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:51 pm

I suppose it softens the blow that Norwood wasn’t in good form anyway. The way we play, we need a selfless front man to tie up defenders and hold up play for others. Norwood’s a bit too selfish for that and probably not disciplined enough to play just for the team.
With the Charlton game being called off - that’s one less game for a few months. Maybe Drinan will be available in a few weeks. It’s just when you hear six weeks out - you think it’s more like double that with our injury history.
We’re relying pretty much on Hawkins who hasn’t had a full 90 minutes yet. Not sure what the situation is regarding the budget and what we are allowed to spend, but I’d expect us to try and get a loan striker in at least.

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:02 pm

Andym wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Agree Jackson cannot lead the line in a 433 in the same way as Drinnan and Hawkins can. Hawkins will need to be managed carefully until Drinnan is available in a couple of weeks.

Bluemike Norwood will be a great loss if Hawkins gets injured. We would only have one striker who however good he is cannot play the target man role as effectively as the others.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:21 pm

Tyreece? WTF is that? Must be a parents “compromise” name.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:04 pm

Tyreece Simpson sounds like a defensive tackle for the Detroit Lions! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:15 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:04 pm
Tyreece Simpson sounds like a defensive tackle for the Detroit Lions! :lol:
Hahahahaha! :lol: Is he any good? The lions need him! Asap!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:56 pm

Ando wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:02 pm
Andym wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Agree Jackson cannot lead the line in a 433 in the same way as Drinnan and Hawkins can. Hawkins will need to be managed carefully until Drinnan is available in a couple of weeks.

Bluemike Norwood will be a great loss if Hawkins gets injured. We would only have one striker who however good he is cannot play the target man role as effectively as the others.
Sadly I cannot remember the last time Norwood contributed much at all and that includes last season, I'm not overly fussed tbh.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:06 pm

I agree. He was hampered by injury and is clearly still not fit.

Jackson for Sears could be a good move as you suggest. But bed have to cover defensively a bit, not sure if that's in his game.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:23 am

I saw Tyreece Simpson come on last year against Tottenham U23 EFL Trophy.
Big Lump of a player would not get knocked off the ball easily.
He was Offered a contract by Leicester Tigers rugby union club but chose football .
Would be a fans favorite.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:56 am

Agreed, I saw him come on at an away game last season, can't recall which one but I liked what I saw, as you say, big, strong and very quick not without some ability on the ball either, it would be a gamble but maybe at times needs must.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:50 am

Doesn’t appear that Lambert is ready to give the youngsters a go. His thoughts on Ben Folami.

Youngster Ben Folami would appear to be the next in line to come into the reckoning in Norwood’s absence but the Town manager says that’s too much responsibility to put on the young Australian’s shoulders at this point in his development.

“You can’t really on Ben Folami,” he said. “I mean come on, he’s a kid and he hasn’t been about it, he’s nowhere near ready.

“Ben hopefully will go out on loan. Aaron has obviously done really well since he’s been in, Freddie [Sears]’s best position for me is wide, I know he can do centre forward, but you can go on kids. There’s no way. They haven’t even been round about it yet.”

Lambert does feel that Freddie can do centre forward. I guess Freddie’s now our back up striker.

Regarding Folami.... he’s 21 now. Made his debut 2-3 years ago. When will he be not regarded as a kid and how does he achieve being ‘about it’?

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:26 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:36 am
Well for me this just underlines the ongoing problem at this bloody Club. They clearly need to do another internal review of their systems deployed. Its bloody ridiculous.
agreed, and to be fair you have been banging on about this for a few seasons now.

Well - it's not down to Covid, and it's not down to bad luck - there is clearly something very wrong with the methods employed by this club.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Yes sorry rossi, it has been a bit of a bug bare for me got some time now. I have ex work colleagues who work at the Club snd the players physical welfare is most definitely a “ medical team” effort which includes Doctors, physios, trainers, nutrition and physiologist.

I know they’ve looked at it , and their is definitely a scientific approach to all professional sport now . So I’m bemused ( almost frustrates) with the continuing injuries at the Club. The injuries are rarely even minor ones , so for me the conditioning /training methods BEFORE an injury is sustained is an area that must be looked at again. But also perhaps player recruitment : are they crocked before they even arrive? If so, our recruitment strategy isn’t stringent enough.

Something has to change .....

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:16 pm

Hallam, I have to give you due respect for your expertise in the area, particularly as I have none. However I would love to see comparative data for other clubs on the same question. I have the impression that our problems are far from unique and that maybe sports science doesn't yet have the answers that are needed to reduce these events.

Does this kind of data list? Surely there must be some academic papers on sports injuries in professional footballers.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:16 pm

Dubai......, I can 100% guarantee you that "Sports Science" does NOT work. When I used to play football many years ago, I remember running up the right wing with a Bunsen burner and some test tubes and it was just horrific. Really off putting.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:58 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:16 pm
Hallam, I have to give you due respect for your expertise in the area, particularly as I have none. However I would love to see comparative data for other clubs on the same question. I have the impression that our problems are far from unique and that maybe sports science doesn't yet have the answers that are needed to reduce these events.

Does this kind of data list? Surely there must be some academic papers on sports injuries in professional footballers.

A World renowned Orthopaedic hospital in Qatar which deals with elite sports people is a centre of Excellence for Sports health medicine and a lot of research is performed there.

I’m sure I read somewhere that KVY and then Norwood was sent there for there for treatment of their injuries. I would suspect a lot of Clubs would be aware of this institution and it’s work

https://www.aspetar.com/index.aspx?lang=en

I agree with you there must surely be a pool of evidence base within the game regarding the epidemiology of sports ( football specific) related injuries and current EB treatments. I can’t believe the Town Medical team are not involved with this.

I know when I did my Masters at UEA ( Norwich) in 2012 one of the lecturers who dealt with sports injuries ( nature, incidence, causes and rehabilitation) was a lead clinician at NCFC. His lectures naturally drew on the professional footballer and his ncfc dealt with young players ( specifically for his lectures ). We covered many aspects of sports injury which also included the professional dancers including ballet dancers covering aspects of performing routinely with severe chronic pain , the heavy use of NSAIDs and of body image of the professional athlete. Some institutions ( Clubs?!) were not particularly science driven and the levels and types of injuries sustained were very poor, and often information not shared amongst the profession. I go know that Michael Owens original hamstring injury was not rehabbed very well which ultimately led to his Cruciate injury several years later ( physiologically those two injuries would be linked) ... I think the game ( football wise) has moved on since the time of my degree, but without doubt there will be a pool of data. It’s just whether that information is shared , reviewed sand assimilated by Clubs. You’d hope so wouldn’t you. But I do think Town need to revisit how things are done at the Club.

Anyway, sorry I’m rabbiting on ... interesting though

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:27 pm

Would you say the athleticism of League One players is similar to players in the Prem or Championship? Probably not right? Ipswich Town FC hasn’t been in a position to attract high quality players for years, maybe decades. Just because you develop a young player, it doesn’t necessarily develop the young player beyond his intrinsic athletic abilities. Likewise, older players available for lower league teams are probably not as athletic as players coveted by the richer clubs. Just a thought...