Blackpool next Saturday

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Blackpool next Saturday

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:26 pm

So away at Blackpool next Saturday, good to have a game but with two more injuries yesterday we could have done without it but it seems it was arranged before yesterday's match.

Tangfastic

Re: Blackpool next Saturday

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:30 pm

I like it. Makes sense to use next Saturday and avoid congestion later on. And no fans will be messed around by the re-arrangement.

We’ve got injuries now, but we don’t know if our injuries will be any worse at a later date.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:54 pm

The only problem is, this is potentially another banana skin fixture against a team close to the bottom of the table. Blackpool are no mugs and yesterday were leading 2-1 against table topping Lincoln City until the final four frantic minutes, when they went down to 10 men and conceded 2 late goals. This could be another game when we come under huge pressure from a side likely to include former Town loanee Luke Garbutt, I just hope we’re up for it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:30 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:54 pm
The only problem is, this is potentially another banana skin fixture against a team close to the bottom of the table. Blackpool are no mugs and yesterday were leading 2-1 against table topping Lincoln City until the final four frantic minutes, when they went down to 10 men and conceded 2 late goals. This could be another game when we come under huge pressure from a side likely to include former Town loanee Luke Garbutt, I just hope we’re up for it.
I’m just looking forward to us playIng football again. Don’t think it’s smart to postpone third tier games due to international breaks in an already shortened season, anyway.

As a side note.... it does make me wonder if fans have got into a negative mindset where they’re more concerned about the opposition, than ourselves. I’d expect Blackpool to move up the table and agree they’re no mugs. Surely, we should be looking forward to playing anyone? If we have genuine promotion hopes we should have confidence about playing anyone and if we don’t, then does it matter? We’re going to have to play every team anyway.
If Ward and Downes aren’t fit for Saturday. It’s too bad... that’s football and postponing games last season didn’t work for us.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:29 pm

I’m all for playing the game Tang, I thought some of our International Match postponements last season were ridiculous especially at a time when we were playing well and on a roll. I just think we need the manager and players to be properly prepared and understand there’s no game in this league that can be taken as a formality.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:52 pm

I think you’re right to call that one tang. I think there’s an invidious undercurrent amongst a section of Town fans. Very “ down” on the Club, manager, and owner at every given opportunity and the team are expected to win every game as me by an avalanche it seems. Ridiculous really. It’s soul destroying really to read it on SM after every questionable result ( not that there’s been many of those).
It’s like the energy has been sucked out of the Club.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:50 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:52 pm
I think you’re right to call that one tang. I think there’s an invidious undercurrent amongst a section of Town fans. Very “ down” on the Club, manager, and owner at every given opportunity and the team are expected to win every game as me by an avalanche it seems. Ridiculous really. It’s soul destroying really to read it on SM after every questionable result ( not that there’s been many of those).
It’s like the energy has been sucked out of the Club.
I think all the "strongest squad in the league" nonsense last season added to that. People had false expectations. And still have. Of course we all want success. But some of us don't expect it and blame everyone when it doesn't materialise.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:00 am

But surely Andy if that is the case shouldn't we be praising our "average League One mid table club" more for starting the season well and trying to play in a better and more attractive way ? As Hallam says a section don't, the expectation clearly shouldn't be there based on last season ?

The problem is it's the same element every time who moan, pick a social media site, look on it and you can guarantee who the negative moaners are, they moan about the results, the performance, how weak the opposition were so our win means nothing, they moan about playing kids, not playing kids, changing the team, not changing the team, and when attending the games they moan about the thickness of the toilet paper, how the onions on their hot dog are cut, the colour of the staffs tabards , the weather, you name it, in fact they probably moan about everything in life because deep down they are sad and unhappy individuals.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:53 am

I agree completely. I am one of life's pessimists but even I can see the improvement this season. I think we haven't always looked tight at the back but we have played good football.

Even the last league game when we were outplayed there were positives. The defence certainly were very good in that one (defensively if not constructively) and as I said, for the goal and Sears' miss we had plenty of bodies in the box, something we haven't seen for years.

During lockdown I lost interest in footy really. Didn't muss it. But already this season I can wait to get back to watching live. I am one of those who don't think we are top of the league material (But not that far off it) but so far I've really enjoyed the style of play (except maybe the last match). Onwards and upwards.....

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:03 am

I’m loving the way we are playing the game too Andy . I think Lambert has learned some lessons from last season, not that he’ll be given any credit for it Im sure. Do you know my biggest fear for this season , is that we will be once again be in or around that top 2-3 and the season will once again be stopped due to CoVid, yet they won’t apply the same rules they did last season, so we won’t go up lol . Suspect it’s an innate fear of us failing to get promoted. It’s been so long since we’ve had anything to cheer about , I actually can’t remember what success feels like anymore, so don’t believe it can possibly happen to us .

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:29 am

I guess at best there will be matches postponed where teams with small squads have 2 or 3 out due to COVID. Let's hope we can see the season out. I guess winter will be the worst time, probably too early to call a halt to the season if it gets bad.

I agree, much more enjoyable to watch. Wish I'd forked out a tenner to watch last Tuesday now!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:14 am

The one thing with you Andy is you are consistent and see good when there is good to see, you've always been that way and there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism where its due, it's the other type of negative horse sh*t at every single opportunity from the same people that gets me, I removed myself from loads of footy groups etc for that very reason, this is about the only site where I actually still post, reading others is bad enough, I never realised there was so many numbskulls, poor old MM.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:21 am

One thing I applaud Lambert this season is sticking to his guns about the formation and trying to keep consistency in the team.
If he’s trying to play better and attacking football then it’s not going to happen overnight. What I’d like to see is we dominate the games more. Especially the midfield. We’ll have bad periods, but it’s up to us to ask questions of the opposition, rather than the other way. If we’re worried about, say, a weakness in the team like Kenlock or Dozzell being a bit lightweight - what about exploiting their weaknesses? I think we’ve been too worried about the opposition for too many years and been too cautious.
Not being arrogant, but it’s League One. We should at least have the confidence in this division to change our style of play and be more positive. We’re not going to get relegated, so what’s not to lose.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:55 am

I agree. There was no knee jerk reaction on Saturday although I suspect there might have been if we'd gone behind.
As an aside I've never rated Kenlock but thought he did well last Saturday. He was out of position for the goal but if you want full backs to get forward it will happen.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:38 pm

ah - that old chestnut about having the strongest squad in the division.
Doubtless a lot of people read that and it raised their expectations.

Trouble is - how do you measure a strong squad? The only way is on paper.

And that was the trouble, because 'on paper' you can make anything look good. I remember those last season claiming we had the strongest squad were mentioning names like Huws and Judge - yes, they look good on paper when you consider their experience, but what did they actually give us? Nothing. And those are 2 players whom people this season are moaning about.

So looking good 'on paper' actually means nothing.

It reminds me of a time - years and years ago - when I joined an adult dating site. On my profile, I stated that I had a 12 inch willy. That looked good on paper, and I got numerous dates because of it - but when women got down to things and discovered my willy is only 9 inches long they were kind of disappointed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:45 pm

Lmao, I did laugh out loud at that :lol:
9" my arse :lol:

On a serious note you are correct, players like Huws and Judge should walk this division and on paper we deffo had the strongest squad, I still maintain that, the fact these numpties failed to perform makes that look hilarious.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:45 pm

On a serious note you are correct, players like Huws and Judge should walk this division and on paper we deffo had the strongest squad, I still maintain that, the fact these numpties failed to perform makes that look hilarious.
Not UP, I hope :D

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:16 pm

Andym wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:55 am
I agree. There was no knee jerk reaction on Saturday although I suspect there might have been if we'd gone behind.
As an aside I've never rated Kenlock but thought he did well last Saturday. He was out of position for the goal but if you want full backs to get forward it will happen.
Kenlock looks the number one target for criticism judging by comments I’ve seen elsewhere. He made a big mistake in the first half which we got away with, but I don’t blame him for that goal. Apart from that, I thought he was OK.
Disappointed he hasn’t taken his chance last season, but he doesn’t look up to it. Too long a back-up here. He should have gone on loan years ago where he’d either push on or we find out he’s not good enough. However, I hope he has a good game or does a sound job in the absence of Ward.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:37 pm

From what I saw Tuesday evening Corrie Ndaba already looks a better prospect at LB than Kenlock ever will.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:37 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:57 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:45 pm

Not UP, I hope :D
:lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:35 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:38 pm
It reminds me of a time - years and years ago - when I joined an adult dating site. On my profile, I stated that I had a 12 inch willy. That looked good on paper, and I got numerous dates because of it - but when women got down to things and discovered my willy is only 9 inches long they were kind of disappointed.
Brilliant! :lol:

Reminds me of an occasion I pee'd off a bridge in Tunstall. Christ, that water was cold! :)

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:37 pm
From what I saw Tuesday evening Corrie Ndaba already looks a better prospect at LB than Kenlock ever will.
You could well be right. I would have thought Kenlock was kept out of the game because he would be playing this Saturday. Then again, I was surprised Ndaba was LB in place of Tommy Smith.
Maybe Lambo was experimenting with Ndaba in case Kenlock isn’t up to it. Ndaba looks comfortable on the ball and seems to be more stronger and definitely more athletic than Kenlock. Ndaba’s another one who needs a good loan or to be involved.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:10 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:35 pm
rossi wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:38 pm
Brilliant! :lol:

Reminds me of an occasion I pee'd off a bridge in Tunstall. Christ, that water was cold! :)
:lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:34 pm

A genie did visit me one evening giving me only one wish. I wished that my willy would touch the floor.
My legs fell off.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:03 pm

Just want to say , what a lovely thread guys . Its been a pleasure reading through it and Ive laughed SO much at a couple of comments :lol: