Injuries at this Club

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:41 am

number 9 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:27 pm
Would you say the athleticism of League One players is similar to players in the Prem or Championship? Probably not right? Ipswich Town FC hasn’t been in a position to attract high quality players for years, maybe decades. Just because you develop a young player, it doesn’t necessarily develop the young player beyond his intrinsic athletic abilities. Likewise, older players available for lower league teams are probably not as athletic as players coveted by the richer clubs. Just a thought...
That’s a decent point. Or maybe the game has sped up where there’s more emphasis on athleticism than robust strength.

Looking at players like Chambers and Skuse they’ve been pretty much injury-free for years, although Skuse now is picking up injuries. It could be they’ve managed their bodies better. Or possibly the way they play their game is different to others. Someone like Bishop is maybe relying on twisting and turning and a bit of explosive pace to beat a defender. Likely someone like that is more prone to muscle injuries. And they’re more likely to draw in strong tackles from defenders.

And to add to the equation. We’ve bought players with long-standing injury problems. Huws, Adeyemi, Keane were recent buys who had a history of injuries. Norwood nursed an injury all through his last season at Tranmere. Just a thought.....

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:23 am

That’s reminded me tang. Midfielders we’re going to get more injuries , and more knee injuries than other positions , whilst I think from memory strikers tended to get more hamstring and groin injuries. It’s about repetition of particular actions/ movements as you rightly say.

Strikers are often repeating sudden bursts of sprinting , and kicking with velocity actions- hence the injury rate & type. Whilst meniscus and collateral ligament injuries , and ACL injuries are far more prevalent in midfielders.

I spotted a research paper recently which looked at injury rates in clubs and it going less injuries occurred in “ successful clubs”...... the question then is , why?

A study was done recently regarding groin injuries in professional footballers , the results are here . Notably I’d suggest our players fall into the severe time out bracket ( which they have as 1 month) and how long were KVY and Norwood out for ?

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/52/5/292.abstract

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:40 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:23 am
less injuries occurred in “ successful clubs”...... the question then is , why?
Maybe they're in fact successful because they have less players out injured, not vice versa :lol: :lol:

I guess successful teams tend to have more money, better facilities, more physios and such about the place, larger squads so more rotation and ability to rest players with niggles, perhaps defending places a greater toll on the body too!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:48 pm

We picked up 2 injuries yesterday, no mystery, just unfortunate, if that useless fuckwit Judge hadnt played Downes into trouble his wouldn't have happened.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:30 am

Downes out for Three months and Ward doubtful for Saturday.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:24 am

In some ways it’s almost a good thing regarding Downes. He’s been as much use to the squad as a chocolate tea pot since the Palace interest , diving in, in reckless challenges . A period on the back burner albeit injury enforced will hopefully re focus his head, and take him out of that unwanted shop window for now at least.

Since there’s no surgery required I’d suggest maybe he’s opened up the joint and injured the collateral ligaments , hopefully getting great with any serious damage to the cartilage .

Ward sounds like he’s had his Achilles “ raked” , I’m not sure. But hopefully he’ll be back after the next game.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:14 pm

In many ways, Downes had been written off to a certain extent because we thought he might leave and he’s also been a sub. Still a blow as he is probably our best player - or at least the biggest asset.

However, given the choice between Ward and Downes being fit first, I’d want Ward fit. He’s seems vital to the team, but it’s going to difficult to keep a 35 year old fit for the entire season.

And another player who is looking very crucial is Hawkins. Hate to say it but can see him picking up an injury the way things are going.
Massive squad, but there’s positions where we’re overloaded and areas where we’re paper-thin.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:36 pm

I think Lambert has to take a chance one or two of these youngsters. True they’re not the finished article, but needs must and I’d rather they got their experience with us than another Club, given our potential weaknesses and injuries at the moment.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:53 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:36 pm
I think Lambert has to take a chance one or two of these youngsters. True they’re not the finished article, but needs must and I’d rather they got their experience with us than another Club, given our potential weaknesses and injuries at the moment.
They won't ever be unless they get to play adult football - either on loan or here. We certainly could give one or two 20 minutes off the bench.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:52 am

If we could learn to close out games by taking our chances then there would be more opportunities for these 20 minute sessions.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:03 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:52 am
If we could learn to close out games by taking our chances then there would be more opportunities for these 20 minute sessions.
That is very true. It's hard to make those calls when you're only one up or drawing.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:27 pm

the general managers view on the injuries and other things

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... -1-6875825

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:40 am

Cole Skuse ruled out for 3 Months

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:01 am

That will cheer a few up

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:17 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:01 am
That will cheer a few up
I’m not sure it should, he’s still a useful player to have in the squad and there may well be times when we could do with having him available.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:39 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:17 am
Bluemike wrote:
That will cheer a few up
I’m not sure it should, he’s still a useful player to have in the squad and there may well be times when we could do with having him available.
I agree but sadly some will be pleased.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:58 am

lucy wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:40 am
Cole Skuse ruled out for 3 Months
3-4 months . Oh sod it .... I’d like to say “ what a surprise “ but it’s just ridiculous now isn’t it !

Oh well, onward and hopefully upward .

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... our-months

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:39 am
Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
That will cheer a few up
Well, I'm not pleased he's injured - I wouldn't wish injury on anybody.

But, I'm ecstatic that he will not be considered for a first team place for at least the next 3 months.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:28 pm

That's what I was meaning yes, you are far from alone either.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:42 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:22 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

But, I'm ecstatic that he will not be considered for a first team place for at least the next 3 months.

Thing is with the number of injuries we now have, I think we will miss his defensive qualities in front of the back four. Not sure what you think about this , or indeed who you would consider would be a suitable replacement.. we will be playing soon much tougher opponents and I fear will rue the lack of experience in this position.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:47 pm

The biggest injury this club has ever had in its history is the one King Roy inflicted on Marcus Evans’ wallet.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:50 pm

Couldn't agree more

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:54 pm

Sorry to see it and I agree there could be times when he's needed.
However his injury problems have risen significantly over the last year or two and I'm afraud his contract shouldn't have been renewed last time around.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:57 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:42 pm
rossi wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:22 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Thing is with the number of injuries we now have, I think we will miss his defensive qualities in front of the back four. Not sure what you think about this , or indeed who you would consider would be a suitable replacement.. we will be playing soon much tougher opponents and I fear will rue the lack of experience in this position.
I think we need to move on from the mindset that Skuse has to be in the team and without him we’re f*cked. He’s had a good run and, until now, has remained pretty much injury-free. He’s 34 now. It’s up to others to take their chances. I’d say Huws could be the one who could do something similar in a deep role, but only because I can’t see him being a box to box midfielder anymore and he’s a big, strong lad. If he’s not up to it, then I’m not sure what else he adds to the squad.

Personally, I’d love a midfielder who could crash through tackles and stride forward with the ball.. and maybe the odd goal. Downes is the closest to that. Skuse was never that type. Very neat, consistent, mopped up in front of defence, but slowed the ball down. His experience might be missed, but his experience was ever-present in the last few years as we’ve slid downwards.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:57 pm

Andym wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:54 pm
......and I'm afraud
F**kin' knew it! No one can be that negative. :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:27 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:57 pm
Andym wrote:
......and I'm afraud
That's Andy's Suffolk accent! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:34 pm

marko69 wrote:
Andym wrote:
......and I'm afraud
LMFAO

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:32 pm

marko69 wrote:
Andym wrote:
......and I'm afraud
f*ck. You've found me out.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:51 am

Tang: of course I agree Skuse has probably had his day now. But my question was who have we got that can fill that role now ?

Downes is out for 3 months plus. So who else is there ?

On the question of Downes. He does seem / appear to be a tad reckless in his tackling . Yes I love a player that goes snd gets the ball . But the refs are very hot on overly aggressive play , and tackles from behind these days aren’t they ! He just seems to lunge in and unless he tempers / modifies that s little he’s going to see a lot of red cards in his career I think .

For now anyway, is Huws the one ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:06 am

It's odd though Liz, yes Downes can be reckless in the tackle but what goes unnoticed at times is why, had that fuckwit Judge not played him into trouble with a hospital pass he wouldn't have got Booked just prior to his injury and who knows it may have contributed to his injury too.