Shake up for English Football ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Andym

Re: Shake up for English Football ?

Post by Andym » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:31 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:31 am
Is it me, or does everyone have trouble comprehending Saint’s posts? This proposal is fair and sensible. Imagine how many jobs it will save or maybe create. Come on...do we really care if the top clubs get more power? Whatever I don’t.
As in every aspect of society, giving more power to the top tends to work to the detriment of the rest.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 am

number 9 wrote:
Is it me, or does everyone have trouble comprehending Saint’s posts? This proposal is fair and sensible. Imagine how many jobs it will save or maybe create. Come on...do we really care if the top clubs get more power? Whatever I don’t.

I don’t think you’re alone No 9, there will be others scratching their heads for sure, including me. 🤔

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:25 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 am
number 9 wrote:

I don’t think you’re alone No 9, there will be others scratching their heads for sure, including me. 🤔
Sometimes a little surreal but one of the best things about this forum is the variety of personalities and the (normal) good humour and tolerance of them all.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:40 am

I must admit if the decision was down to me I would accept some kind of deal along these lines, clubs will die, it's happening very soon.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:14 am

Six Championship clubs now fearing for their survival without some form of help, what chance L1 & 2

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:40 am
I must admit if the decision was down to me I would accept some kind of deal along these lines, clubs will die, it's happening very soon.
Agreed - of course there are good things and bad things in the proposal.

But many on this board have for years bemoaned the disparity in money between the PL and the FL, and stated that parachute payments for 3 years give a distinct advantage to teams relegated to the Championship (like our feathered friends). At least this proposal provides for a decent amount of funding by the PL to the FL, and the removal of parachute payments. For the life of me, I cannot understand what people are griping about.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:13 pm

Has anyone read what Paul Lamberts concerns are about the proposal and why he’s allegedly dead against it ?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:48 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:13 pm
Has anyone read what Paul Lamberts concerns are about the proposal and why he’s allegedly dead against it ?
It's here or at least one source. Not comprehensive by any means but encapsulates enough information.

https://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-tow ... -1-6881815

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:21 pm

Charnwood wrote:
This is the interview I saw.....

https://youtu.be/ON1fKT6Vt7g

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:36 pm

BREAKING NEWS

Premier League clubs have "unanimously agreed" that 'Project Big Picture' will not be "endorsed or pursued".

The controversial plans, proposed by Liverpool and Manchester United, were rejected at a meeting of the 20 clubs in England's top flight on Wednesday.

Instead, all clubs agreed to "work together" on a new "strategic plan" for the "financing of English football".

The clubs also decided on a £50m rescue package for League One and Two clubs at the meeting.

A Premier League statement said "discussions will also continue with the EFL" over financial support for the Championship.

'Project Big Picture' involved reducing the Premier League from 20 to 18 clubs and scrapping the EFL Cup and Community Shield.

In addition, the English Football League would have got 25% of all future TV deals, which would have been negotiated jointly, plus a £250m bail-out.

However, it would also have seen more power transferred to the so-called 'big six' Premier League clubs.

In its statement, the Premier League said its members had "agreed to work together as a 20-club collective on a strategic plan for the future structures and financing of English football, consulting with all stakeholders to ensure a vibrant, competitive and sustainable football pyramid".

It added: "Clubs will work collaboratively, in an open and transparent process, focusing on competition structure, calendar, governance and financial sustainability.

"This project has the full support of the FA and will include engagement with all relevant stakeholders including fans, government and, of course, the EFL."

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:21 pm
Charnwood wrote:
This is the interview I saw.....

https://youtu.be/ON1fKT6Vt7g

Gosh, how bloody boring is he to listen to !.... he couldn’t motivate me to get out of bed in the morning let alone over perform on the pitch. ☹️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:48 pm

50 million ain't gonna scratch the surface for L1 and L2

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Good. This had nothing to do with saving non PL clubs in my opinion , but only about the richest clubs getting even richer and takin* control completely of the game 8n this Country . I’m not fooled by the “ carrot” . The timing of the “ kind” offer is cynical and calculated beyond belief. Everything about the so called premier league makes me sick. They have no intentions of doing anything for the good of the Game in this Country, but only for their own greedy ends.

frankly the top six big clubs can do one off to their beloved Champions league in Europe , and take their foreign and largely money grabbing players with them.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:49 pm

We don’t need think about it anymore, it’s not going to happen.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:25 am
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 am
number 9 wrote:

Sometimes a little surreal but one of the best things about this forum is the variety of personalities and the (normal) good humour and tolerance of them all.
Sorry Saint, I meant to attach a smiley face to that sentence. I'm sure no one understands me most of the time. :wink: Anyway, whatever happens now after the initial plan's failure has to happen quickly or clubs will begin to go under. Without Marcus Evans we could be one of those clubs, and I'm sure there's a still the possibility of ITFC going down if things are not resolved soon. :astroll:

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:52 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:49 pm
Good. This had nothing to do with saving non PL clubs in my opinion , but only about the richest clubs getting even richer and takin* control completely of the game 8n this Country . I’m not fooled by the “ carrot” . The timing of the “ kind” offer is cynical and calculated beyond belief. Everything about the so called premier league makes me sick. They have no intentions of doing anything for the good of the Game in this Country, but only for their own greedy ends.

frankly the top six big clubs can do one off to their beloved Champions league in Europe , and take their foreign and largely money grabbing players with them.
Never a truer word said 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:30 pm

Agreed Charnwood & Mike....... Lambo; boring bstd, ...... and £50M for BOTH L1 & 2 won’t stretch far.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:01 pm

One club who won’t be needing a bailout anytime soon is Brentford who look set to sell a second player for £30+m as
West Ham look to complete the signing of forward Said Benrahma before Friday's transfer deadline. This comes just 5 weeks after Villa paid £30+m for another striker Ollie Watkins.

Not bad business for two players who Brentford bought for less than £5m within the past 3yrs, Watkins for £1.8m in 2017 and Benrahama for £3m in 2018.

Well done Brentford.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:17 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:49 pm
We don’t need think about it anymore, it’s not going to happen.
Agreed that it's not going to happen for now. But I think this isn't going to go away. Some of the elements in the proposal are needed and this process should IMO be seen as part of a longer campaign for change. We will have to wait and see.

What I don't like is how they are splitting up the support for L1/2 & Champ. This implies that if they are going to cancel parachute payments (this is desperately needed IMO) then the distribution may not help L1/2 that much.

BTW Parry seems to think that £250m is needed. I wonder how much of that he was imagining for L1/2?

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:22 pm

Much of the original plan seemed ok to me. What I didn't like was the power grab and the reduction in size of the prem. Again, it's for the benefit of the big clubs who play in Europe, but for the rest a smaller league seems pointless as there are fewer games to play and less chance of staying in the prem / getting promoted to it. Better to dispense with the mickey mouse cups and keep it the current size.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:15 pm

It makes me wonder how the PL will react. They must be pretty pissed off that United and Liverpool went behind their backs to try and seize more power.
I wonder if they realise they’ve created monsters that have got out of control. It wouldn’t be the worse thing if the PL tightened the noose on the Big Six and maybe put in place something which could limit their spending power and reign them in.

The good thing about this it’s opened up discussions and highlighted the plight of the EFL. And I do feel many eyes now are on the PL to act. I don’t believe the PL would want to see clubs go under - as they’re now in the spotlight and they’d be held accountable. 50 million quid isn’t a lot and can’t even buy two thirds of Jadon Sancho ... but it’s a start.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:47 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:30 pm
Agreed Charnwood & Mike....... Lambo; boring bstd, ...... and £50M for BOTH L1 & 2 won’t stretch far.
Exactly Marko. The PL are taking the p*ss all to enable them to have greater control. It’s another bloody sell out in my humble opinion.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:16 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:47 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:30 pm
Exactly Marko. The PL are taking the p*ss all to enable them to have greater control. It’s another bloody sell out in my humble opinion.
What’s worrying for me Hallam is I STILL can’t be arsed to read about it. Such is the apathy towards the modern game.

Think I switched off to it all (literally) 5 or 6 years ago and stopped taking it so serious when I saw Paul Pogba on TV moaning his paps off about something with a face so sour....... thought, “200 grand a week, partly paid by my Sky subscription and you’ve got a face like thunder and loaded with attitude? ..... go fk yourselves.” ——> and cancelled Sky & BTSports.

Care very little and just council telly for me! 👌

AFL play-offs though tomorrow! 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 Have the app and will be tuned in. Cannot wait.
‘Mon the TIGES!