Ipswich Town vs Accrington Stanley Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Remain on top of the League?

Town Win
76%
Stanley Win
12%
Draw
12%

Total votes: 17

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Accrington Stanley Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Accrington Stanley Image

Saturday 17th October 2020 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

It's Not So Grim Up North.......

There were a fair few Eyebrows raised when Town rescheduled their trip to Blackpool at very short notice following the Postponement of the home tie with Charlton Athletic due to International call ups of all things, the view among a lot of Town fans was that it would be better, due to mounting injuries to have a week off and maybe get some of the walking wounded actually walking again. Thankfully our fears proved to be unfounded as Town turned in what can only be described as a superb away day performance, running out comfortable 4-1 winners and in doing so returning to the top of the league One table.

I think it would be fair to say that despite the excellent result we can, and will play much much better in the coming weeks, in fact we will almost certainly play better and lose somewhere along the line. From my point of view the game will be remembered for some cracking Town goals, I don't think many of us saw Luke Chambers as the first goalscorer, (except my friend of course who had a bet at 33/1), but my what a strike it was, the second and Third from Gwion Edwards and Teddy Bishop were non too shabby either but the Fourth was sheer class, a raking cross field pass from that man Chambers was literally inch perfect as it dropped over the head of the last Blackpool defender but the touch to bring it down from MOTM Gwion Edwards was stunning and set him up perfectly to get the Fourth, any other team score that and we see it again and again for months to come, it was that good.

I have not always been a fan of Alan Judge and that is putting it mildly but I felt his inclusion at the expense of Freddie sears was bang on and Judge worked his socks off as he chased just about everything so credit where credit is due. The omission of Jon Nolan was a cause for concern prior to kick off and while Emyr Huws had a very in and out game the Midfield did pretty well again, Bishop was in good dribbling form as a few times he tried to weave his way through the home defence, his run and finish for the Third goal was also a pretty decent effort and how good is it to see him finally start to look like a half decent player once again.

This win sets us up nicely to build on the position we have put ourselves in and with another home game this weekend we have an ideal opportunity to do just that, as with last season we are the only League One side to remain unbeaten as some of the early pace setters around us take it in turns to falter. Thirteen points from Fifteen and top of the league is good going and to be scoring at will while only conceding Two so far is a recipe for success, we need to keep our feet on the ground and keep doing what we are doing, we have a cluster of players slowly starting to return from injury and that can only make our job that little bit easier. Promising times ahead.

Accrington Stanley, Who Are They ???????.....................

So far the teams we have played in League One are shall we say, not fancied, and according to many we should be beating these teams anyway, while I disagree with that way of looking at it and also pointing out these teams are getting results against some of the other fancied teams I will go with it for now. With that in mind this weekends visit to Portman Road of Accrington Stanley has to be our first real test of the season, they are currently sitting in Sixth place in the table after a decent start that has seen them win Three of their opening Five games, included in those wins was an impressive victory over fancied Peterborough Utd so we have to be prepared for a tougher game than it maybe looks on paper.

I think Town could well have more than enough about them to win this one and looking at the Accrington line up no names jump out at me, I seem to say this every week and so far it's been justified. We will create chances if the previous Five games are anything to go by, we must make sure we convert some, our finishing at times has been clinical while at the back we have been very tight with goals conceded so I am thinking a a Town win by at least a couple of goals, I mean let's face it, it's Accrington Stanley for crying out loud, who are they ?? Exactly !!! COYB'S

The Opposition – Accrington Stanley

The original town club, Accrington, was amongst the twelve founder members of the Football League in 1888, before resigning from the league after just five years. A team called Stanley Villa already existed at the time, named as such because they were based at the Stanley W.M.C. on Stanley Street in Accrington. With the demise of Accrington, Stanley Villa took the town name to become Accrington Stanley.

Accrington had been without a football team following the collapse of the original Accrington Stanley in 1966. The original team had been formed in 1891 and played in the Football League from 1921 to March 1962, but had spent its final four seasons in the Lancashire Combination. At a meeting at Bold Street Working Men's Club in 1968 the revival was initiated, and in August 1970 the new club played at a new ground, the Crown Ground. Eric Whalley, a local businessman, took control of the club in 1995 and began the development of the club's ground. After the club was relegated in 1999, Whalley appointed John Coleman as manager.

The club's rise to the Football League is attributed in part to the windfall of hundreds of thousands of pounds reaped by the sell-on clause in the December 2001 transfer of former Stanley star Brett Ormerod to Southampton, which paid Blackpool over a million pounds for his contract. Stanley had taken £50,000 from Blackpool in 1997, with the agreement that Blackpool would pay Accrington a quarter of what it might have received if it in turn transferred Ormerod to another team. The 2002–03 championship of the Northern Premier League followed quickly on Accrington's getting the cash.

Following the 2002–03 win of the Northern Premier League, the club was promoted for the first time in its history to the Football Conference. The club's first-ever game in the league was away to another re-formed club, Aldershot Town, on Sunday 10 August 2003. The game was shown live on Sky Sports and resulted in a 1–2 loss. The season was a success, with a final league position of 10th being achieved. The highlight of that first season in the 5th tier was a sensational run to the FA Cup 3rd round, only losing in a replay away to League One side Colchester United.

The following season saw the club become a full time professional outfit. The 2004–05 also resulted in a 10th-place finish.

The 2005–06 season saw the return of Stanley to the Football League. Finishing on 91 points, the club went on a 19-game unbeaten run stretching from October to March, leaving the club an easy passage to League Two after 46 years away.

The club was involved in a relegation battle throughout its first season in the 4th tier. A run of 5 wins in the last 9 games of the season led to a 20th-place finish and was enough to save the club from relegation in its first season back in the Football League.

The 2007–08 season produced more of the same, with the club involved in another relegation battle.5 wins in the final 12 games were enough to secure a 17th-place finish and another season in the 4th tier of English Football.

Performance during the 2008–09 season improved, with the club achieving a modest 16th-place finish in League Two.

The 2009–10 season was far better, with the club pushing for a playoff place at the turn of the year. A run of 9 wins in 10 League games saw the club with a chance of making the playoffs, only for this to fade in March/April.

The club reached the Football League Two play-offs during the 2010–11 season, one of the most successful in its history. A run of 1 loss in 19 games, from February till May, saw the club finish in a best-ever 5th position, eventually losing to League Two newcomers Stevenage in the Playoff Semi-finals.

2011–12 was a season of transition for the club. The loss of no less than six of the playoff-chasing side of the previous season was a tough act to follow. Following a shaky start to the season the arrival of Bryan Hughes in October transformed the club's fortunes. A run of 6 wins in 7 games over the Christmas period saw the club briefly enter the play-offs. However, following the sale of club captain Andrew Procter to Preston North End in the January 2012 transfer window, the third-longest serving management team of John Coleman and Jimmy Bell departed for Rochdale.

Former Burnley and club favourite Paul Cook was brought in as manager, along with the promotion of Leam Richardson from caretaker manager to full-time assistant. Only 3 wins in the final 17 games of the season was a pretty poor finish the season. However, this meant the club achieved a solid mid-table finish in 14th position.

On 18 September 2014, Coleman was confirmed as manager of Accrington Stanley for his second spell with the club.

On 17 April 2018, they were promoted to League One following a 2-0 win over Yeovil Town.

Last season Stanley finished in 17th place.

The Manager – John Coleman

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches, currently in 1st place with 13 points

13 Sep Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Wigan Athletic

19 Sep Bristol Rovers 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

26 Sep Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Rochdale

3 Oct Milton Keynes 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

10 Oct Blackpool 1 - 4 Ipswich Town

Accrington Stanley Last 5 Matches, currently in 6th place with 9 points

12 Sep Accrington 2 - 0 Peterborough

19 Sep Burton Albion 2 - 1 Accrington

26 Sep Accrington 1 - 4 Oxford Utd

3 Oct AFC Wimbledon 1 - 2 Accrington

10 Oct Accrington 2 - 1 Rochdale

Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

Few scores here with changes. Only three points for top score and two for second then the 1's for entering. Just not enough players. Might asterisk the year and add "COVID 19 CHAMPION" after the winners name on the trophy. Which is a decent achievement. Having a sense of humour during a pandemic, and indeed any world crisis, is a good buddy of mine. 👌👍

WIGAN

Bluemike (Cap 2) 3pts
Tangfastic 2pts

BRISTOL R.

Bluemike (Cap 1) 3pts
Blueblood 2pts

ROCHDALE

Tangfastic 3pts
Bluemike 2pts

MK DONS

Number 9 3pts
Frosty 2pts

BLACKPOOL

Frosty 3pts
Bluemike 2pts

THE DON CUP TABLE

Bluemike 11
Number 9. 7
Blueblood 5
Frosty 5
Tangfastic 5
Ando 2
ITNO1. 1

Have a go at this.

Match Referee – Rob Lewis

IPSWICH TOWN 2 ACCRINGTON STANLEY 1

arana peligrosa

Re: Ipswich Town vs Accrington Stanley Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:55 pm

Just voted for us to take it, there were little hesitation in making a decision. Home venue will surely be a factor and playing without crowd appears to suit the team. We got some momentum built up and opportunities are once again evident. Can't see beyond home victory but as before predictions can just as well be derailed.

Town 3 Accrington 1

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:04 pm

I can see us slipping up on this one. 2-0 defeat. We have to lose sooner or later.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:53 pm

Extremely busy with work at the mo but oticed an email with caption scores. I’ll sort through that lot later on tonight, fire up a league table with a caption picture.
Will also read this Stanley preview. 👍

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:03 pm

These were the first team to beat us in the league last season let’s hope history does not repeat its self.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:59 pm

Was that a one off bet for Chambers at 33/1? Or does your buddy put some dough on him every week hoping he'll get lucky? A bit like putting 25 pence on George Burley to score back in the day.

Nice preview and if Chambers can provide more diagonally switched balls, inch perfect, like last week -----> Its a win. Especially with Edwards no doubt getting that taste for more.
2-0 ITFC.

Ref caption:
"STAY TWO METRES APART! Or I'll be booking you all. No tackling."

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 am

She likes Chambers so I wouldn't be surprised if she does him every week but I'm not sure, all I know is she's often bloody lucky

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:55 am

Caption:

"The new club supporters shirt for those that can't spell 'Accrington'"

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:08 am

Caption:

“Jimmy? Thought you were going to wear your “knives kill” awareness week T shirt?”

“This is all I could find, man!”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:24 am

caption.....

Stanley that would famous maker of tools show off their biggest tool yet.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:28 am

caption 2......

The Irish version of an I,D. Parade.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:40 pm

Caption: "Accrington Stanley introduces life-like mannequins to replace cardboard cutouts as part of the EFL's Big Picture Plan."

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 am
She likes Chambers so I wouldn't be surprised if she does him every week but I'm not sure, all I know is she's often bloody lucky
Lucky for Chambers if she’s doing him every week. Let’s hope he doesn’t get a groin strain.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Ando wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:35 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 am
Lucky for Chambers if she’s doing him every week. Let’s hope he doesn’t get a groin strain.
:D

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:38 pm

Caption Poor Stanley doesn't look like he is ever going to get any head during his life time.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:19 pm

Caption 2 “Accrington Stanley fan loses head over Covid lock down.”

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:52 pm

https://www.suffolknews.co.uk/ipswich/s ... h-9126767/ If anyone has trouble sleeping listen to to this. !!! It's "really really " interesting. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:39 pm

Too right, Deeko. He's supposed to be from the Glasgow end as well. They slag off us Edinburgers for being boring! He desperately needs media training.

And what's with the close up interviews? No social distancing in Paul Lamberts world?

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:53 pm

Caption 1
Ipswich sign stanley to reunite the world famous strike duo of stan and ollie

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:54 pm

Caotion 2
Bruce lees brother models his new range of karate kit

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:57 pm

Ref caption.
For the love of god, soneone please pull a finger, this trapped wind is killin me!!

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Just seen the team. Definitely sensing defeat.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:08 pm

No Hawkins or Jackson in the squad more injuries?😬 What's going on, still we have Freddie up front.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:15 pm

Oh.

Hawkins a massive loss.

The first week I changed from Sears to Hawkins as first scorer in the prediction league. Not that I’m betting on Freddie scoring.

Let’s keep the long balls to a minimum.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:33 pm

Don't see us scoring today, sears as the lone striker, what an absolute dire situation to be in, sack the bloody science team or whatever they are called, f**king injuries after injuries

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:39 pm

MK Dons 2 up against Gills. Makes our 1-1 seem very respectable.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:41 pm

Luckily we don't rely on central strikers scoring Mike :D

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:47 pm

patthegimp wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:41 pm
I thought just the same. But some8be has to hold the ball up. And Huws needs to improve on last week's performance

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:58 pm

patthegimp wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:41 pm
This is true

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:02 pm

This from Stuart Watson.