Doncaster Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep it going?

Rovers Win
33%
Town Win
40%
Draw
27%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

Doncaster Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:47 pm

Image Doncaster Rovers v Ipswich TownImage

Tuesday October 20th 2020 – 20:00

Keepmoat Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

A Game Of Two Halves........

Saturday's win against a very strong Accrington Stanley team was the typical example of a game of Two very contrasting halves, the first Forty Five minutes saw Town struggle to cope with the constant closing down by our visitors who it has to be said had the better of the exchanges, it was a half where Town failed to get to grips with the Midfield and as a result Accrington had numerous efforts from distance on Town's goal, thankfully there was little to really trouble Tomasz Holy and despite their upper hand it was in fact Town that carved out the Two best chances with them both falling to the willing but ever so frustrating Freddie Sears who failed to make either of them count. It was fair to say that at the half time break there was much concern that Town were going to pay for going into the game without a real recognised striker on the pitch, the decision to start with Alan Judge as the central lone striker hadn't worked and change was needed if Town were to avoid a first defeat of the season.

While the second half began with the same Eleven manager Paul Lambert did switch things round up front with Judge moving to the Right, Edwards back to his favoured left side and Sears through the middle and with the Midfield stepping it up too the difference was vast and clear to see, suddenly it was Town looking to take the game to their opponents with some very good football which suddenly started to create chances and had us looking dangerous every time we went forward. The increase in tempo by Town duly paid dividends as ten minutes in we got the crucial goal to put us ahead and once again it was that man Gwion Edwards with his Fifth of the season to see him stay top of the league One scoring charts. Despite Accrington giving it a go we stood firm with the defence once more pretty solid, Holy in goal was commanding in the air and also pulled off a couple of good saves when needed and with his back Four standing firm and assured Town got the job down courtesy of a second strike from that man Freddie Sears with a cool finish following good work by Alan Judge.

As poor as Town were in the first half they stepped it up and looked an impressive side after the break and all this with no strikers available to Paul Lambert, the omens look good for when the walking wounded finally reappear as we can only grind out results for so long. There were some good performances by the boys in Blue with Holy, Wilson Chambers, Kenlock, Nsiala and Edwards all putting in good displays but to be fair in the end everyone played their part and there were no weak links. So Town took their tally of points to Sixteen from a possible Eighteen and along with Sunderland remain unbeaten in the league.

Captain Fantastic.........

For a couple of seasons now our captain Luke Chambers has had more than his fair share of flak and criticism and for me much of it is totally unwarranted, when things have been going wrong on and off the pitch it is Chambers that has always been their to try and rally his troops, often against the odds that have been heavily stacked against us, yes he has bad days, as everyone does, what he doesn't do is a David McGoldrick act and hide when things are tough, we all know Chambo isn't the best Centre back in the world, or indeed league One but there is nobody more honest or caring about Town than him.

This season he has found himself back in his less favoured Right back roll and I have to say I think by and large his performances have been outstanding, his range off passing has improved beyond belief and he is picking out Beckhamesque balls at times which had they been played by the great man would have been raved about, add to that he has been getting forward to great affect and in doing so is creating another offensive option, already he has Two goals to his name and that is a testament to how good he has been, defensively he has been rock solid and error free and it speaks volumes that we really haven't missed Kane Vincent-Young anywhere near as much as we thought we would so a big well done to our captain and I hope all the humble pie that should be being eaten by some goes down well.

A Tough Five days Ahead.......

This coming week is going to test Town more than anything else so far as we embark on Two very tricky away days whilst juggling an injury list as long as Pinocchio's nose, a good haul of points from these two fixtures at Doncaster Rovers and Lincoln City would be very impressive indeed. First up it's Donny Rovers who have had Three wins from their opening Five games to see them sit just outside the Play off zone with Ten points. Their last outing saw them come away from Portsmouth with all the points and on the face of it that looks to be a very good result, against that they lost up at Wigan who by all accounts are dross so it would be fair to say they are a bit unpredictable but clearly on their day can come up with good results.

Madger Gomes has been in good goal scoring form and has already plundered Four goals so will be one we have to watch, other names in the Doncaster squad that stand out are the dangerous Reece James, Matt Smith and the effervescent James Coppinger who by now must surely have a bus pass such has been the time he has been around. Darren Moore is a manager I rate and I feel he will have his troops up for this one and as a result I can see a tough evening on the cards for Town, hopefully One of our strikers at least is fit enough to return otherwise we could find it hard, I would actually take a point from this to keep the unbeaten run going but this Town team are showing no little amount of resolve and you just never know, what we do know is it;s not how you start but how you finish, just ask Accrington Stanley, who the hell are they anyway !!! COYB'S.

The Opposition – Doncaster Rovers

The club was formed in 1879 by Albert Jenkins, a fitter at Doncaster's Great Northern Railway works. He gathered together some friends to play a match against the Yorkshire Institute for the Deaf and Dumb in September 1879. On walking back from the game, the team took a rest at the Hall Cross, and had a discussion in which they decided to play more and called themselves Doncaster Rovers.

They were first elected to the Football League in 1901, as a replacement for New Brighton Tower. Their first season in the League was in fact the one when Doncaster achieved their highest position ever (7th in the Football League Second Division). They only lasted two seasons in the league before being voted out in favour of local rivals Bradford City, having finished the 1902 season in the bottom three.

They spent the subsequent season in the Midland League, only managing 11th place out of 18 but were elected back to Division 2. This time, in 1904–05, Doncaster finished bottom with W3 D2 L29, adrift by 12 points, gaining only 8 points – an unfortunate still standing record. They were voted out once again.

They remained in the Midland League until they were again accepted into the Football League Division 3 North for 1923–24 to replace Stalybridge Celtic.

The next few seasons saw them rise towards the top of the table, then decline towards the bottom, before in the early 1930s finishing consistently near the top and finally becoming Champions in 1934–35.

Rovers spent two seasons in Division 2, before being relegated in 1936–37.

Doncaster Rovers were involved in the longest ever competitive football match, against Stockport County at Edgeley Park on 30 March 1946, in a Division Three (North) cup tie. The match was deadlocked at 2–2 at 90 minutes, and after two 10-minute periods of extra time there was no further score. The rule at that time was that the game would carry on until one team scored. However, after 203 minutes, and with darkness closing in, the game was finally stopped.

In 1946–47 Doncaster set a record for the most games won in a league season (33), when they won the Third Division North title. The following season saw them relegated from the Second Division, but two years later, they won the Third Division North again. This time they stayed in the Second Division for eight seasons, their most successful period to date.

During the early 1990s, Ken Richardson, who was later described by detectives as "the type that would trample a two-year-old child to pick up a 2p bit"took over as the majority shareholder of the club. He ploughed a lot of money into Doncaster Rovers with one thing on his mind, a new stadium. When he was refused a new stadium by the council he soon lost interest. Richardson hired three men to torch Belle Vue and planned to sell the ground to developers. The attempt put Richardson in jail for four years. In 1998 Rovers dropped out of the league with a −83 goal difference.

The Westferry Consortium took over the Club just before the beginning of the 1998–99 season with a commitment to invest heavily in the club. They also brought in John Ryan as a non-executive chairman and he took over at the end of this season. Having aspirations of returning it to the second tier where he had seen them when he was a boy, he stated he would build a new stadium within ten years, both of which he went on to achieve within the ten years. Doncaster found their best form in 50 years in the 2000s.

After five seasons in the Conference League, under the helm of manager Dave Penney the club returned to the fourth tier (known at the time as Division Three) after winning the 2003 Conference Play-Off final.

In 2003–04, the first season they were back in the Football League, Rovers achieved promotion to the third tier as Champions.

A new stadium was completed in December 2006. Doncaster's first game at the new Keepmoat Stadium was against Huddersfield Town on New Year's Day, 2007.

On 1 April 2007, Doncaster Rovers travelled to the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff to play Bristol Rovers in the Football League Trophy final which they won 3-2 to claim their first major trophy.

2007–08 proved to be one of the most exciting seasons in Doncaster's history. Defeat on the final day of the season cost them automatic promotion but they won their semi-final playoff to advance to the League One play-off final at Wembley on Sunday 25 May 2008 where they beat Leeds United 1–0 to move into Football League Championship after a half century absence.

The first half of the 2008–09 season saw Doncaster struggling to adapt to the Championship despite a promising start which saw them bottom of the Championship on 20 December 2008. Rovers managed to turn things around and ultimately ended their first season in the Championship comfortably in 14th position.

Doncaster finished two places higher in 12th in the 2009/10 season, however the 2010–11 season proved to be Doncaster's most trying season in the Championship thus far finishing in 21st place.

Doncaster Rovers struggled in the 2011–12 season and were relegated to League One with three games still to play.

The squad was rebuilt for the 2012–13 season with 19 players leaving. Expectations were low, but after an average start, Doncaster finished the season one point above Bournemouth as Champions.

Following promotion to the Championship for the 2013–14 season, Paul Dickov was brought in as manager. To boost support for their chosen charity, Bluebell Wood Children's Hospice, the club signed Louis Tomlinson of boy band One Direction on a non-contract basis.

On 9 November, John Ryan gave an emotional farewell and stepped down as Chairman of the Club after 15 years, amid reports of boardroom disagreements following a proposed takeover bid by a hedge-fund consortium lead by Sequentia Capital.

On 3 May 2014 Doncaster were relegated back to League One after just one season following a defeat to Leicester City on the final day of the season.

Rovers finished the 2014–15 season in 13th place, before being relegated to League Two after finishing 21st in 2015–16 with new manager Darren Ferguson.

The 2016–17 season saw them being promoted back to League 1 at the first attempt in 3rd position.

Darren Ferguson left his post in June 2017 and was replaced by another former Peterborough boss in Grant McCann ahead of the 2018/19 season. Under McCann, Rovers finished sixth in League One, qualifying for the end of season play-offs where they faced Charlton Athletic over two legs. A 2–1 defeat in the first leg and an early Krystian Bielik goal in the second left Rovers with a mountain to climb at The Valley, but goals from captain Tommy Rowe and Andy Butler forced extra time. John Marquis put Rovers ahead for the first time in extra time, only for Darren Pratley to equalise a minute later. Rovers lost the penalty shoot-out 4–3 with misses coming from Rowe and Marquis as they fell just short of making the Wembley Stadium showdown.

McCann left in the summer for Championship side Hull City and was replaced by former defender Darren Moore ahead of the 2019/20 campaign.

Last season Doncaster finished League 1 in 9th place

The Manager – Darren Moore

Form Guide

Doncaster Rovers Last 5 Matches – Currently in 7th place with 10 points

19 Sep Charlton 1 - 3 Doncaster

26 Sep Doncaster 4 - 1 Bristol Rovers

3 Oct Wigan Athletic 1 - 0 Doncaster

10 Oct Doncaster pp. Shrewsbury

17 Oct Portsmouth 0 - 1 Doncaster

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 1st place with 16 points

19 Sep Bristol Rovers 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

26 Sep Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Rochdale

3 Oct Milton Keynes 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

10 Oct Blackpool 1 - 4 Ipswich Town

17 Oct Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Accrington

Match Referee – Scott Oldham

DONCASTER ROVERS 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Doncaster Rovers vs Ipswich Town Previre & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:30 am

James Coppingers bus pass! :lol: Nice. He has indeed been around for an eternity. And lightening fast turnaround from game to preview for the next one. Superb.

Nice part about Chambers but it does create questions as to what happens to him when KVY is fit again? His age is against him and he'll be under pressure slightly to keep current form up. Certainly enjoying what I'm seeing in brief highlights; stroking the ball about with confidence.

Not going to predict a sccoreline or put any bets on, (never do with ITFC)......, but tipping the win in this one, Firmly believe that no fans in attendance nullifies advantages.

Ref caption:
Player: "You're a tw@t, ref."
Ref: (picture)
Player: "Wrong finger, ref."

Frosty
Forum Owner

Re: Doncaster Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:31 am

Just as well there is no crowd or you would never find 'Where's Wally' with this lot.

Tangfastic

Re: Doncaster Rovers vs Ipswich Town Previre & Matchday Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:30 am
James Coppingers bus pass! :lol: Nice. He has indeed been around for an eternity. And lightening fast turnaround from game to preview for the next one. Superb.

Nice part about Chambers but it does create questions as to what happens to him when KVY is fit again? His age is against him and he'll be under pressure slightly to keep current form up. Certainly enjoying what I'm seeing in brief highlights; stroking the ball about with confidence.

Not going to predict a sccoreline or put any bets on, (never do with ITFC)......, but tipping the win in this one, Firmly believe that no fans in attendance nullifies advantages.

Ref caption:
Player: "You're a tw@t, ref."
Ref: (picture)
Player: "Wrong finger, ref."
We’ve been wondering when KVY will be fit again for the last year. He’s actually only played about 8 games for us. If KVY does get fit, I can’t see him walking straight back into the team. In the same way, Woolf can’t get back in with Toto and Wilson playing well. In some ways, I’ve written KVY off for the season or, at least, the next few months. I’m more worried about us getting fit strikers back, than getting KVY back. Weird to state this, but I’d rather have Hawkins fit rather than KVY ....or even Downes ....at the moment.

Love to keep up the winning streak, but feel our luck might run out against Doncaster. A draw wouldn’t be a bad result. There’s bound to be another injury before Tuesday’s game so I can see us being stretched even further and the games are looking harder from this point in.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:08 am

I’d say a draw against any of the top 6-8 teams on their patch is a good result , but best them at our place .
Agree with the sentiments re KVY - Chambers is doing just fine and he’s unlikely to miss many games either. A fit striker is definitely required .

1-1 score tomorrow I’d take that.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:09 am

I've written KVY off for good, he's a sicknote unfortunately, either way Chambers wouldn't be dropped for him no matter what and on current form nor should he be.

Manager caption....
"Fcuk it I've forgotten my mask"

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:09 am
I've written KVY off for good, he's a sicknote unfortunately, either way Chambers wouldn't be dropped for him no matter what and on current form nor should he be.

Manager caption....
"Fcuk it I've forgotten my mask"
Yep I have as well. Shame as when the lad first arrived it looked like we had at last solved a problem position which had been going on for what seemed like years.
Whilst chambo deserves all the credit he is getting at the moment, imo because of his age he can only be considered as a short term solution and we will need to try and find another replacement especially if we did happen to get promoted this season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:20 am

KVY wasn’t ( as far as I’m aware), a sick note at Col U though was he Mike?

Since he’s been a Town player, He’s had two injuries , groin (hip) and now Achilles, which are unrelated as far as I can see. It’s just a mystery why our players get so many injuries. I wasn’t aware of any problems he had when he was playing for Col Utd though.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:33 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:20 am

Since he’s been a Town player, He’s had two injuries , groin (hip) and now Achilles, which are unrelated as far as I can see. It’s just a mystery why our players get so many injuries. I wasn’t aware of any problems he had when he was playing for Col Utd though.
hallam
Sure I read somewhere that he had a achilles injury at Col U a couple of years back which kept him out for about 2 months.
However, he obviously recovered from it as he didn't appear to miss too many games with them after that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:42 am

Frosty wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:31 am
Just as well there is no crowd or you would never find 'Where's Wally' with this lot.
Oh my God, laughed out loud to this ! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️:lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:44 am

Its not just the ridiculous amount of injuries, It’s the amount of time these players are out for.

You might as well as add on 1-2 months to a 2-3 month recovery time. We’ve been through this before... but there has to be something not right about our fitness regime / medical science here at PR. Is it the Suffolk air?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:49 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:44 am
Its not just the ridiculous amount of injuries, It’s the amount of time these players are out for.

You might as well as add on 1-2 months to a 2-3 month recovery time. We’ve been through this before... but there has to be something not right about our fitness regime / medical science here at PR. Is it the Suffolk air?
I've heard of the curse of the Bambino and it now appears we have the curse of Portman Road.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:13 pm

I'm still to be convinced we are any different to any other club where injures are concerned.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:23 pm

Yup. Me too.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:13 pm
I'm still to be convinced we are any different to any other club where injures are concerned.
Our injury record does indeed seem appalling at best, however i do agree with you Mike.

We are going to be much more aware of our own players than other teams. Yes, through media, you will always be aware of the De Bruyne, Allison, Martial Injuries, but how many would know about injuries to players such as Bailly, Chester and Mavroponos? All players who missed 8 matches each towards the start of last season's Premier league? This is the top flight! In truth I probably couldn't name 75% of the (non-Ipswich) players in League One, let alone tell you who is injured or out for any given time.

Living in Norfolk, i was very much aware of Norwich having an, at times, chronic injury list, with nearly an entire team of outfield players missing before they played Man City.

Found this while trawling for evidence to back up any injury statistics. Yes it relates to the Premier League and should be noted that this was an early season list, after about 8 games (it appears), but it does give something to pick the bones out of.
https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-re ... -in-19-20/

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:18 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:33 am
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:20 am

hallam
Sure I read somewhere that he had a achilles injury at Col U a couple of years back which kept him out for about 2 months.
However, he obviously recovered from it as he didn't appear to miss too many games with them after that.

Thanks for that Shed 👍.

Have been thinking about his two injuries , and actually they could conceivably be linked. If his leg biomechanics is poor , ie he internally rotates when standing on that leg, it will affect his hi0, knee and foot positions. Which when repeated leads ago eventual injury. Or alternatively he could have poor foot control eg over pronates. Resulting in the above leg actions and Achilles’ tendon torsion forces. The tendon has a poor bloody supply so any repeated injury will heal poorly. Interventions should focus on orthotics if required and repeated eccentric loading of the Achilles’ tendon, and glute medius strengthening. Should be easy enough for the club physio’s tbh . But the body has a healing time span. It’s just at ITFC this seems to go into months rather weeks :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:13 pm

That maybe true Mike. But we do seem to pick up an injury just about every week, and often not match based. We’ve currently got just about all our strikers out. I doubt that’s a problem at most clubs in league one right now.

Just wish we could get them back quicker once they are injured,

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:36 pm

I'd be happy with a point but don't think we will get one. I'm expecting us to have at least 3 fresh injuries to contend with.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:29 pm

OK Andy, out with it, when was the last game in which you expected us to get a point ? Was I born ? :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:29 pm
OK Andy, out with it, when was the last game in which you expected us to get a point ? Was I born ? :lol:
Probably not. 😂
4 points off the next 2 games and I'll be ecstatic.

Actually, I'd love a win. I'd settle for a draw. I could even stomach a defeat if we play well. This season is definitely an improvement - even compared to this time last season when we were winning.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:22 pm

You know what, (and I ain't kidding) walking away from Easter Road after a defeat...., (and there have been an absolute truck load of those days)......, I have NEVER heard anyone say, "Its ok though, we played well."
And there HAS been games where Hibs have been awesome and been beaten......., it NEVER feels good. You are one unique guy, AndyM and most likely not in need of blood pressure tabs .... so that is good stuff, dude.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:39 pm

The next couple of games (both away) could give a fair indication of our chances of promotion this season and neither game will be easy. The first against an in form Donny who picked up a good win at Pompey on Saturday will really test our ability to score against a stubborn defence which has only conceded 4 goals in 5 games played. But, when you look at our own record conceding only two in six played we should fear nothing. Form would suggest a 0-0 draw but I’ll stick my neck out and suggest three points to town with a 0-1 win 👍

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:19 am

Ref Caption : Talking to wife during match
What do you mean the spray is still at home.. Rampant Rabbit at the front of my shorts I am going to stick it up your... @sk me later .

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:52 am

I see Jackson has tested positive for coronavirus - but the squad has tested negative. So probably the next 3 games Jackson will miss through quarantine. Just goes to show what a knife-edge the game is on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:19 am

Cool, another positive result......

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:19 am
Cool, another positive result......
😂😂😂

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Didn't realize we had a game this night, need to focus a little more on what's going on. Had to take a look at the opposition last five fixtures to ascertain what to expect from this. They appear a competent unit who can grind out results so in the end went for points shared. We'll keep the unbeaten run and most likely #1 position in the league. The kind of game where you require to seek out a score if promotion is indeed to become a reality.

Doncaster 2 Town 2

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:06 pm

Fairly sure a draw won't keep top spot, Saint as Hull will thrash Wimbledon. Then it's 18pts top, 17 second.

And err..... if gubbed and Lincoln win big v the Pilgrims....., 3rd.

FKN HELL......, it's too negative in here! Woz 'appenin!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:35 pm

Darren Moore caption.......

"Lets see..., ok...., yep, draw, hull win, lose...., lincoln win......, yyyyyep, thats correct, Marko."

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:02 pm

Same team apart from Bishop on the bench and Nolan playing, Good news is Hawkins is on the bench.👍