New super league moves closer ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

New super league moves closer ?

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:26 pm

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: New super league moves closer ?

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:23 pm

Only 5 out of the big 6 allowed. :lol: Can only imagine Tottenham being left behind, then having to pay feckin colossal wages from WBA & Brighton games. :lol: Yep, that is all going to run real smooth. Real issues in all countries before it even starts.

But then look on the bright side, Spurs fans......., you become Premier League champions almost every year until the end of time.

What a feckin shambles. The greed is just incomprehensible.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:51 pm

Yep, that's no surprise to me at all. Plan B. Does make sense IMO and will be interesting to se how the rest of the football clubs in UK reorganise. Also I imagine that there would be existing contracts between these Big 6 clubs and the Premier League with big payoffs necessary in order to withdraw. Maybe some of this would filter down too.

I'm excited by this. Can see a new Prem1 and Prem2. Let's hope we can get promoted this season and have a chance to take part.......

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:59 pm

Remember though, Dubai......, as it says in the article...., only 5 of the big 6 get in. That'll be an interesting circus in itself.

Imagine Chelsea don't get in? Expect more Russian warships in the North Sea ready for action! :lol:

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:53 pm

This has been on the cards for yonks!
So much for caring about the lower leagues 😂
!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:02 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:53 pm
!
Spot on. Talk was huge for it after the 2002 Korea/japan World Cup. Then it all faded away. Then again after Germany 2006.........

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:04 pm

Makes sense and as a result I think it will improve the English football leagues, even though there will still be 'rich' teams. It will open up a few more places for others to fill. Hopefully, it will also make the top leagues more competitive with success not only reserved for the top six teams that remain. If the Euro Prem does happen, I think the EFL will need to take a hard look at financial management as a whole. Ultimately, such a plan will probably include salary caps...but in all honesty it might be what's needed to sustain the business side of the game.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Yep....., a very long hard look at financial management. Because the same thing will kick off again, (no pun intended) ...., a new "big x amount" will happen. Everton, Aston Villa, Leeds.

Spurs :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:12 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:04 pm
Makes sense and as a result I think it will improve the English football leagues, even though there will still be 'rich' teams. It will open up a few more places for others to fill. Hopefully, it will also make the top leagues more competitive with success not only reserved for the top six teams that remain. If the Euro Prem does happen, I think the EFL will need to take a hard look at financial management as a whole. Ultimately, such a plan will probably include salary caps...but in all honesty it might be what's needed to sustain the business side of the game.
Agree with this.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:33 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:53 pm
!
Exactly... They never did. They put out that crap about the The Bigger Picture to make themselves look like a saviour for the lower leagues when they knew PL most clubs would turn it down and they were going for the European league. f*ck em.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:45 pm

It makes sense if they can figure out promotion and relegation from it. It wouldn't interest me if there was no turnover in teams. But if an English side finished bottom and were relegated, would it need to be an English side promoted to replace them? Sounds too complicated so I guess there'd be no changeover. And for some (myself included) i wouldn't be too bothered about it.

As others have said there are financial implications for the rest. Would there be any other European competitions or would they go? Lots of questions.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:47 am

Andym wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:45 pm
It makes sense if they can figure out promotion and relegation from it. It wouldn't interest me if there was no turnover in teams. But if an English side finished bottom and were relegated, would it need to be an English side promoted to replace them? Sounds too complicated so I guess there'd be no changeover. And for some (myself included) i wouldn't be too bothered about it.

As others have said there are financial implications for the rest. Would there be any other European competitions or would they go? Lots of questions.
I don’t think they would want relegation and promotion! This would go the way of American sports and be a closed shop.
Once this does happen they aren’t going to want to share the money with anyone.
As hs been said F@ck em.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:26 am

It’ll be mind numbingly boring. Real, Barca, Juve & Munich every year. 🤦‍♂️ I’d rather watch Emmerdale.

Hopefully there ain’t some crazy rule where they’re still allowed to play in the FA Cup.

Fk off is universal...... and it means a clear and comprehensive FK OFF!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:34 am

Celtic and Rangers ??

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:32 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:34 am
Celtic and Rangers ??
They could, and would finish bottom two every year. That’d be entertaining to see that.

Only problem there is Aberdeen Hibs and Hearts contesting the SPL. I’d fear the fuckwits getting good. That’s a genuine fear.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:50 am

I’m not sure this will happen. It’s going to need a lot of clubs from a number of countries to agree on this. These are powerful, successful clubs in their own countries - why would they jeopardise their own wealth and success for the gamble of a European Super League ?

And why would Man Utd be allowed to be part of it? They haven’t won the Champions League for 21 years and I can’t remember when they won their last PL title. It’s not as if this is about footballing excellence- it’s just that a club like Man Utd are very marketable.

I can see this being very boring anyway if it’s a league structure without promotion/ relegation. There would be so many dead rubber games. The Champions League only really gets going at the knockout stage - it’s usually boring in the league rounds.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:35 pm

It’s my understanding there won’t be relegation and promotion, and it will be modeled like the NFL to some degree. I think the formation of the Super League is inevitable, and I’m surprised it’s taken so long. I don’t agree it will be boring; I think rivalries will develop and competitiveness will be high. Advertising and TV money will be hemorrhaging for the teams, and the league will become richer and richer. You think transfer fees and player wages are out of control now...just wait.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:57 pm

Agree to disagree....... it’ll be so f**king boring that it’ll be University Challenge right after Emmerdale.
Juve v Barca for the right to play Munich in a play off decider....... and Porto v Zenit in a wooden spoon decider....... FK ME, I’m getting bored typing this out.
Forfar v Airdrie in a Championship play off final is infinitely more appealing.

And shitty plastic Chelsea & Man City? Weren’t even in the Panini sticker albums as they were so sh*t...... they can fk off and won’t be missed.

If it happens, I bet Saint Jude is back being a Goodison Park season ticket holder within a month. 👍

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:11 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:35 pm
It’s my understanding there won’t be relegation and promotion, and it will be modeled like the NFL to some degree. I think the formation of the Super League is inevitable, and I’m surprised it’s taken so long. I don’t agree it will be boring; I think rivalries will develop and competitiveness will be high. Advertising and TV money will be hemorrhaging for the teams, and the league will become richer and richer. You think transfer fees and player wages are out of control now...just wait.
I guess you’ve got the experience from your American football system of no relegation, yet they are still rivalries. I think it’s different here. The true fans create the rivalries and the atmosphere. This isn’t for the real hardcore fan - it’s for plastic fans who can afford to jet around Europe for a long weekend or the Asian TV fan who has no affiliation to either club or football city. Ive seen hardcore Liverpool fans vent their anger at this, saying they’d stop supporting the club if it happens. Man Utd already have so many fake prawn sandwich eating supporters already that it’d probably not matter for them.

I think it’s likely to be sterile and dull. And the expectation level will be such that people will be expecting spectacular goals and drama every match. It’s more likely there will be boring, tactical games which will be decided by VAR penalties. Just chucking more money at something doesn’t mean it will improve it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:27 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:11 pm
Just chucking more money at something doesn’t mean it will improve it.
And also why the majority of the green side of Edinburgh were DELIGHTED Sir Tom Farmer refused to throw 100s of his millions into the club.
EARN success...... that’s what it’s all about. That’s why we partied for a week in 2016 after the Cup win over the Sevco (not the same team) Rangers.
And Celtic fans expect it...... and when it happens, they go home and put the kettle on.
Fk that sh*t.

Regarding Ipswich Town....... was ok with low investment in the championship and wanted the team to earn the promotion, which they nearly did.
League One? 🤷‍♂️ Hmmmm. Getting slightly desperate. Would like to see a tad more investment in January for a Daryl Murphy type, IF he exists. Certainly wouldn’t want the club sinking lower.

Anyway, off topic........ Euro league? ... make it happen. Make the plastic people go away.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:28 pm

Marko's post has hit home that the mighty Loons are not to be considered for an invitation to this set up then, Bayern, Barca and Real were very much on the horizon, now I have to settle for Dumbarton, East Fife and f**king Montrose

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:28 pm
Marko's post has hit home that the mighty Loons are not to be considered for an invitation to this set up then, Bayern, Barca and Real were very much on the horizon, now I have to settle for Dumbarton, East Fife and f**king Montrose
Hey....., Costa Del East Fife. Get yer Speedo’s out, boyo!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:36 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:11 pm
number 9 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:35 pm
I guess you’ve got the experience from your American football system of no relegation, yet they are still rivalries. I think it’s different here. The true fans create the rivalries and the atmosphere. This isn’t for the real hardcore fan - it’s for plastic fans who can afford to jet around Europe for a long weekend or the Asian TV fan who has no affiliation to either club or football city. Ive seen hardcore Liverpool fans vent their anger at this, saying they’d stop supporting the club if it happens. Man Utd already have so many fake prawn sandwich eating supporters already that it’d probably not matter for them.

I think it’s likely to be sterile and dull. And the expectation level will be such that people will be expecting spectacular goals and drama every match. It’s more likely there will be boring, tactical games which will be decided by VAR penalties. Just chucking more money at something doesn’t mean it will improve it.
Tang I get what you are saying but I'm not sure if it isn't just an emotional response. The truth is that we buy product because it's marketed at us. Sure, some of us old codgers will resent the change, actually any change, and not stump up to see the games but I'll bet that there are more than enough punters to make this a roaring success and pretty quickly kids will grow up to a world in which this is the norm.

I reckon if the whole Covid sh*tsh*w has proved one thing to me about football, and that is that when there isn't any, somehow I don't miss it as much as I expected. That proves that I'm buying a product not instinctively gravitating to it. This league will be the same.

Also you may underestimate the number of people who can afford to jet off around Europe to watch these games..... I know plenty of people from UAE that regularly take a 12 hour round trip to see UK Premier League games. A little Ryanair trip to Munich is really nothing these days. Probably quicker and not much more expensive than a trip from Ipswich to somewhere like Hull or Plymouth...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:41 pm

Well if this was the only football on offer I seriously would never go to a game again or indeed watch it on TV, that would be it, the whole concept makes me sick tbh, I hope it does happen but not to the detriment of proper football, I.E. the League pyramid, the beautiful game was built on it, not this false money fuelled circus, if that is progress they can stick it, give me the days of a quagmire Baseball Ground, a punch up between Bremner and chopper Harris or the Ronnie Radford rocket against Newcastle any day of the week.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:48 pm

I think the best thing is the we can have both. And maybe make the game you love more sustainable at the same time.....

This might be one of the surprising benefits of a Super League without promotion & relegation....

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:41 pm
Well if this was the only football on offer I seriously would never go to a game again or indeed watch it on TV, that would be it, the whole concept makes me sick tbh, I hope it does happen but not to the detriment of proper football, I.E. the League pyramid, the beautiful game was built on it, not this false money fuelled circus, if that is progress they can stick it, give me the days of a quagmire Baseball Ground, a punch up between Bremner and chopper Harris or the Ronnie Radford rocket against Newcastle any day of the week.
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:26 pm

I'm not sure if I personally will be interested in watching the games, but as Dubai alluded to there'll be loads of people who will love it. I'd probably watch the semi's and final and that's about it. I lost interest in the Champ League years ago, mostly because English teams always got beat. I also can't be bothered with England internationals anymore for the same reasons. In fact, I can't be bothered watching the Dallas Cowboys anymore for the same reasons. :lol:

Trust me though, those same diehard Liverpool fans who oppose the ESL will be the same fans booking flights to see the final if Liverpool are in it. As I said before, I'm convinced the Prem & EFL will be much more entertaining without the 'big guns'. How refreshing to see Aston Villa beat 'Pool 7-2, and West Ham overcome a 3-0 deficit against Spurs to draw. Those type of results could become the norm in a much more unpredictable and entertaining Prem League...and a common sense approach to financial management including salary caps may give the likes of ITFC a chance to make it back to the promised land.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:28 pm

Let's be honest here. Sure there will be a few thousand fans jetting around Europe. But this isn't about them. It's about the millions who will pay to watch it on tv from their armchairs, making Sky/ Amazon etc ... and the chosen few clubs even richer.

To be honest I couldn't give a flying one. It holds no interest for me. But if it is succes6sfrl and takes audiences away from the (rest of the) premier league, there will be less money there and even fewer scraps passed down the food chain.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:35 pm

Its all about opinion I suppose as to how we think it'll pan out and the after effects......, but I reckon EPL interest will rise. But as said, opinion only.

An Aston Villa v Sheffield United game to decide a title? That'd be exciting to watch. Or even 4 or 5 closer matched lesser sides fighting it out over the last month? It'll be new, and it'll be great.

Who knows, with the big guns away, Mevans might want to be closer to the action and MAY invest just a little more. Not stupid amounts but enough to at least get back to the Championship and be close to the changes.

But not to be controversial or anything......., Paul Lambert would need to be replaced also by a Neil Warnock type. NOT Warnock himself, but a manager who really would get them showing intent. Hopefully The Sevco go bust again and Stevie G can take over. What about that, Saint? :lol: