Doncaster Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep it going?

Rovers Win
33%
Town Win
40%
Draw
27%

Total votes: 15

Andym

Re: Doncaster Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Time to attack the Adnams Triple Malt.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:48 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:41 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:30 pm
Good evening Derrick and how are you?
Good thanks, not enjoying watching this. :(
Don't think anybody is but at half time it was even. Not yet panicking for rest of season

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:49 pm

Doncaster sharper, quicker and busy. Town have been chasing shadows. No player tonight has been on form imo. Sloppy passing, too many individual mistakes. Doncaster have done the homework and pressed us and got back in numbers to stop any sniff of a town attack. Beaten by a better team on the night

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:51 pm

Feel sorry for those who paid to watch Tonight.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:51 pm

They are a good side, we are second best, second goal a total fluke, third goal not a pen and 4th a howler, we gifted the goals, no need to panic but we need to address it Saturday, Three points from the Two games would be decent.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:55 pm

Final whistle and lambert is boring moore about dortmund! :lol:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:59 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:48 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:30 pm
Good evening Derrick and how are you?
Don't think anybody is but at half time it was even. Not yet panicking for rest of season
I think its just a shame when we play anybody decent we get found out. I have been saying since game one we have been beating crap. And getting abused as usual from the usual subjects. I don't wear blue tinted glasses. I tell the truth.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:00 pm

I think the most annoying thing about tonight is not the fact that town were off colour but that Lambert never seems to be able to change the formation to at least compete. Ok last game he changed judge etc at half time, but that was only to play them in their prefered places which they should have been in from the start. Im not a lambert outer but geeze, its frustrating.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:01 pm

lucy wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:51 pm
Feel sorry for those who paid to watch Tonight.
Waste of money,not because of the result,the player did not work for half the game,I want a bloody refund :(

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:08 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:59 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:

I think its just a shame when we play anybody decent we get found out. I have been saying since game one we have been beating crap. And getting abused as usual from the usual subjects. I don't wear blue tinted glasses. I tell the truth.
Maybe we have been beating crap, but beating them with some great well worked goals and some super individual performances.Tonight was below par and i wont try to defend that but i dont feel its panic time yet. Yes Donny played well tonight, and fully deserved the win. No team can win them all, even liverpool and man united got a tonking, and they usually beat crap compared to their standards.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:13 pm

We were the better side til their second goal which was one of those things. We lost our confidence then.
The most worrying thing for me was Nsiala. He's had a good season. Was ok tonight really til half time. Maybe shouldn't have pushed so far forward for the first goal but he was solid. But then for 20 minutes in the second half he lost his nerve. 3 errors and then conceded a penalty. Holy then gifted a 4th.

I think our midfield was playing too deep tonight, probably as a result of leaving out Bishop. A few off their game tonight - but mostly after we went behind. Until then all looked pretty good.

As has been said, we might have gone 2 up, and then it wold have been a different game.

On that performance, for the first time in years I feel confident we can finish top 6. That seems strange after a 4-1defeat but they were good, on the night they deserved to win, but despite that it was a game we could have won. I don't have a problem with playing out from the back. I do have a problem with Holy's ability with the ball at his feet.

Still enjoying the football and convinced we are trying to play the right way. It's fine margins. Look at Saturday. We won 2 - 0, the first goal came from a pass the defender seemed to trip over the second from a terrible pass from their defender. Mistakes happen at this level. Unfortunately tonight it was us that made them.

Onwards and upwards. We are finishing top 6. You read it her first. Time for another whisky....

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:27 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:

Yet Bristol Rovers won, Accrington Stanley also, Wigan and MK Dons both narrowly lost.. I do believe Accrington Stanley are 7th.

You been saying a lot of things but not often when we win

Liverpool lost heavily other day and so did Man Utd, nobody but nobody has right to win every game. Approaching end of October and we lost our first game, damn awful record we have

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:38 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:27 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

Yet Bristol Rovers won, Accrington Stanley also, Wigan and MK Dons both narrowly lost.. I do believe Accrington Stanley are 7th.

Liverpool lost heavily other day and so did Man Utd, nobody but nobody has right to win every game. Approaching end of October and we lost our first game, damn awful record we have
I have "spoken " on every game this season so far after watching them all. Have not got carried away because I can see the faults and short comings. Playing the way we do we were always going to be the downful of our own destiny. Look i want Town out this division as much as anybody else. What I won't do is pretend we are better than we actually are. I thought our best performance this season was against Accrington in the 2nd half so I am surprised what happened tonight.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:45 pm

We need Ward back in defence, hope he recovers asap ,from what I saw of the game we poor,one powder puff shot on goal second half,wasn't expecting a win,Doncaster were the better team on the night.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:49 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:38 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:

I have "spoken " on every game this season so far after watching them all. Have not got carried away because I can see the faults and short comings. Playing the way we do we were always going to be the downful of our own destiny. Look i want Town out this division as much as anybody else. What I won't do is pretend we are better than we actually are. I thought our best performance this season was against Accrington in the 2nd half so I am surprised what happened tonight.
Is anybody pretending? Sorry but i really don't think anybody is. Saying this i too seen every game. We have played some damn decent stuff and yes also been scratching my head.

I agree with you second half against Stanley but i also thought though not at our best tonight, especially 1st half we did ok. It was not a 4-1 defeat in any other way than score line.
Second goal wicked deflection, 3rd disputed pen though i do not have a clue what Nsiala was doing, thought he had a very poor game.4th goal can anybody explain what Holy was up to?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:58 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:49 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

Is anybody pretending? Sorry but i really don't think anybody is. Saying this i too seen every game. We have played some damn decent stuff and yes also been scratching my head.

I agree with you second half against Stanley but i also thought though not at our best tonight, especially 1st half we did ok. It was not a 4-1 defeat in any other way than score line.
Second goal wicked deflection, 3rd disputed pen though i do not have a clue what Nsiala was doing, thought he had a very poor game.4th goal can anybody explain what Holy was up to?
Agree, all mistakes got punished tonight. They have not been punished in all previous games. If you have watched them you know this is correct.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:04 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:58 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:49 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:

Agree, all mistakes got punished tonight. They have not been punished in all previous games. If you have watched them you know this is correct.
Agree we got punished tonight on all account. I would say previous games we could of scored more though. all in all i think we are right now is about right as in points to games ratio

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:12 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:39 pm
The next couple of games (both away) could give a fair indication of our chances of promotion this season and neither game will be easy. The first against an in form Donny who picked up a good win at Pompey on Saturday will really test our ability to score against a stubborn defence which has only conceded 4 goals in 5 games played
I think we found out tonight that our realistic chances of an easy promotion this season are unfounded and that scoring against stubborn defences with our firepower also won’t be easy. I thought we would keep a clean sheet tonight with worse case scenario being a 0-0 draw. The fact we lost and failed to score ourselves suggests promotion won’t come easy and that Lambert & Co face an uphill struggle especially against the better sides in this league. Let’s hope we can re-group before the weekend as I fear two straight defeats could really burst our confidence bubble and even worse trigger a run of poor results. Let’s hope this isn’t the case.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:19 pm

Ok, AndyM, even though the rare positive post was extremely entertaining and has been printed off and on the wall....... you have permission to stop predicting “4” goals! :lol:
How’s the whiskey doing? Just to say, I’m joining you with that also tonight. A wee 10 year old Laphroaig. Which is apt as it’s always good to have a “laph” after the fitbaw. 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:38 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:12 pm
Charnwood wrote:
The next couple of games (both away) could give a fair indication of our chances of promotion this season and neither game will be easy. The first against an in form Donny who picked up a good win at Pompey on Saturday will really test our ability to score against a stubborn defence which has only conceded 4 goals in 5 games played
I think we found out tonight that our realistic chances of an easy promotion this season are unfounded and that scoring against stubborn defences with our firepower also won’t be easy. I thought we would keep a clean sheet tonight with worse case scenario being a 0-0 draw. The fact we lost and failed to score ourselves suggests promotion won’t come easy and that Lambert & Co face an uphill struggle especially against the better sides in this league. Let’s hope we can re-group before the weekend as I fear two straight defeats could really burst our confidence bubble and even worse trigger a run of poor results. Let’s hope this isn’t the case.

The other thing that will almost certainly happen Charny, is all the gloom and doom merchants will be out in force giving it the “ I told you so”.... “ we’ve been found out”, and “happy clappers/ blue tinted glasses” sh*t as per usual. I genuinely think some Town fans are actually HAPPY tonight . Sad but true !

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:00 pm

Well, I was half expecting this result tonight as we are now going to go through a very testing period, we now face Lincoln away on Saturday and we know how we performed there last season, I just have a feeling that we will get tonked here yet again, then will we see Lambert starting to panic and start chopping and changing the team around trying to rectify the problems, will then be starting to replicate last seasons good start and then a slide away yet again, I certainly hope not, and this result tonight was just a minor blip, we shall see but I'm like Derek I have seen the weaknesses and not convinced yet that we are a promotion looking side, But I wait with bated breath for us to start really asserting ourselves on games, COYB :D

Sorry for no swearing I'm trying to bite my tongue and keep calm :evil: :evil:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:03 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:38 pm
Sad but true !
Aw, now yer talkin’, Hallamski, fantastic idea! 🤘🤘🤘

https://youtu.be/A8MO7fkZc5o

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:09 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:00 pm
Well, I was half expecting this result tonight as we are now going to go through a very testing period, we now face Lincoln away on Saturday and we know how we performed there last season, I just have a feeling that we will get tonked here yet again, then will we see Lambert starting to panic and start chopping and changing the team around trying to rectify the problems, will then be starting to replicate last seasons good start and then a slide away yet again, I certainly hope not, and this result tonight was just a minor blip, we shall see but I'm like Derek I have seen the weaknesses and not convinced yet that we are a promotion looking side, But I wait with bated breath for us to start really asserting ourselves on games.
Scary amounts of injuries haven’t really helped the cause though, Ashford. In Lamberts defence, whatever ideas and strategies he’s working through, they’re constantly being forced to be altered due to injuries.
The injuries themselves are obviously another discussion.
But after reading a few things on the different Ipswich town web pages, things could get a bit rough with the current injury issue and I feel Lambert may need cut some slack over the next month.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:40 pm

I got score maybe twenty minutes back through this game thread. Took the lead through one of the opposition players, they all count, lo and behold they level then go ahead. Began scrolling down in the hope / expectation we would turn it around or even see victory but the final score is one of real disappointment. Believe some said the opposition are strong and accept a 1 - 4 loss but never expected to be beaten by such margin.

Other results at the top did not go our way but second place after games plated remains commendable. Will take in a look in on TWTD for post-game reaction but kind of know what to expect without need of visit. Stats say chances and opposition were about equal but it never tells the full story. I haven't seen what Lambert had to say on the game, not much he or anyone can do about it now. Say again, disappointed, but taking into consideration the apparent injury list and news of Jackson earlier today that may or will have affected whoever was fielded guess certain allowances can be made.

Still remains a frustrating score, never would have imagined we would lose so comprehensively but guess a few lessons were learned out there if nothing else.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:13 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:38 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:12 pm
Charnwood wrote:

The other thing that will almost certainly happen Charny, is all the gloom and doom merchants will be out in force giving it the “ I told you so”.... “ we’ve been found out”, and “happy clappers/ blue tinted glasses” sh*t as per usual. I genuinely think some Town fans are actually HAPPY tonight . Sad but true !
I've always maintained that Liz, they are bloody happy, can't wait for a negative result, sad arse fuckwits.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:39 am

Losing one game in 7 is no big deal... decent start on paper. However, after we went behind it really did seem like last season.

I’m less worried about the individual mistakes, but more worried about the character of the team. We still seem to have that soft underbelly when things go against us. Very much like last season. I didn’t see us getting back into the game at 2-1 down.

Opportunity on Saturday to bounce back against Lincoln and to show some character.

Changes for Saturday. I think it will be tough on Toto to be dropped. He’s got credit in the bank for now, but he’s someone who has a fragile character and can go to pieces quickly. He needs to put in an assured performance next game. I think Woolf will get back in the side at some point, but maybe too knee-jerk to split up Wilson and Toto yet.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cornell take Holy’s place. His kicking game is terrible and I don’t think Cornell was brought in as just back up. If Hawkins is fit he should replace Freddie and maybe time for Lankester or Bennett’s to replace Judge out wide.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:25 pm

The only way Judge will be dropped is if he’s injured. I’m very interested in how we respond against Lincoln. I hope this loss won’t be the beginning of our capitulation like last season. Results have been strange this season though, and it seems like any team could get beaten 4-1 on a given day.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:41 pm

Well, we were never going to win or draw every game.

To be fair, we might not have done so well in the previous 6 games had opposing teams taken their chances. Tonight, Doncaster were not only the best team we have faced so far, but they had the run of the ball and took their chances and as a result we came up short.

Losing at Doncaster is not a disaster - if we lose at Lincoln on Saturday that is also not a disaster: it's just a shame that we have these 2 away games consecutively as I share Ash's worry that if we DO lose again on Saturday then PL might start chopping and changing the team.

When you look at it, this season has started for us a lot like last season. The worrying thing for me is the comments made by Huws a few days ago, that we have learned from last season. From what I saw last night, we have learned very little - we had no idea last season how to create chances against and penetrate a team playing 5 across midfield, and we had no idea second half last night. That lesson needs to be learned very quickly - simple remedy for that though - leave Judge out for a few games. Don't think that will happen though - in fact I think that if Holy was to become injured, PL would replace him with...…..Judge.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:34 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:41 pm

To be fair, we might not have done so well in the previous 6 games had opposing teams taken their chances. Tonight, Doncaster were not only the best team we have faced so far, but they had the run of the ball and took their chances and as a result we came up short.

Losing at Doncaster is not a disaster - if we lose at Lincoln on Saturday that is also not a disaster: it's just a shame that we have these 2 away games consecutively
as I share Ash's worry that if we DO lose again on Saturday then PL might start chopping and changing the team.

When you look at it, this season has started for us a lot like last season. The worrying thing for me is the comments made by Huws a few days ago, that we have learned from last season. From what I saw last night, we have learned very little - we had no idea last season how to create chances against and penetrate a team playing 5 across midfield, and we had no idea second half last night. That lesson needs to be learned very quickly - simple remedy for that though - leave Judge out for a few games. Don't think that will happen though - in fact I think that if Holy was to become injured, PL would replace him with...…..Judge.
That is absolutely spot on.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:34 pm
rossi wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:41 pm

Losing at Doncaster is not a disaster - if we lose at Lincoln on Saturday that is also not a disaster: it's just a shame that we have these 2 away games consecutively
as I share Ash's worry that if we DO lose again on Saturday then PL might start chopping and changing the team.

That is absolutely spot on.
so is that :lol: