Lincoln City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we bounce back?

Imps Win
58%
Town Win
17%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 12

Ando

Re: Lincoln City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ando » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:57 pm

Didn’t deserve to lose that, really controlled the second half. Foul on bishop before pen?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Exactly !!! Definite bloody foul on Bishop, should never have lost that sodding game, pissed off tonight

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:02 pm

Yep the cat would be getting a kicking if I had one.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:02 pm

saint jude wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:53 pm
Sorry to learn that makes for what seems an impending loss all the more hard to stomach. Was it a penalty ? I don't know until get the chance to view it. Game's still underway it seems so still hope but just riding out the final moments in the chance that the team can salvage something.
Very soft but toto should know better

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:04 pm

Lambert got a red at the end too

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:05 pm

Yeah Nolan dismissed in added time and the game is over, we got a defeat. Frustrated, so what if they are top of the league at least I can read reports we tried second period and battled. Can't really add further comment until gaining requisite information i.e. game report, chance to view highlights et cetera but it's two losses in two games now. Not going to get on anyone's back regards it but just the feel of the moment and sense of disappointment. Wasn't to be today but f*ck it the team stays in a very good position to challenge. No good to dwell on moments like this.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:06 pm

If we had been 2 - 0 down at half time we couldn't have complained.

Second half pretty even, apart from the penalty neither side threatened. We have reverted back to not getting enough bodies in the box. No real goal threat. Decent game but really don't think we can complain at the result. Second best in the first half hour, a bit of a non-event after that.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:07 pm

Definitely a penalty. 2nd one in 2 games by ToTo. His passing is suspect as well- looks uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. Time to gogo. Possibly take Holy with him- passing is shocking. Usually good on high balls but not a lot else. We were beaten by a better team. Silly Nolan.
Rest of team played OK without much penetration. Passing in general poor with the odd good one.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:07 pm

Yes he gave the ref a decision to make as Andy Gray would say. Mathie is saying defo pen ? Not for me, Tito has eased him off the ball.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:08 pm

I’m just a bit underwhelmed. I know the talking point is going to be Toto’s ‘foul’ for the penalty. I thought it was as he didn’t need to make that challenge and he looked like he leaned in too much. Just not smart. Every striker is going to go down in that situation and I think the striker would have struggled to do much with the ball anyway. Just unnecessary. For all Toto’s attributes, he has too many crazy moments in his game. Wouldn’t be surprised if Woolf comes in for him. 2 penalties in 2 games. And Holy. Just looks terrible with the ball at his feet.

Edwards should have scored under the bar. He had a poor game and was wasteful. I thought Hawkins was our MOTM although he didn’t have much to go with.

Oh well. We’re trying to play a certain style and in patches we look good. Need to keep it going and learn from our lessons. With a tweak here and there. Could have got a decent point there.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:14 pm

I disagree completely that they were the better side, I thought we controlled the second half and looked the better side, its ok saying Toto gave the ref a decision to make, he had a decision to make on the bloody foul on Bishop and chose not to. We had the Two best chances of the game too with Hawkins and Edwards, I feel very hard done by tonight.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:17 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Second half pretty even, apart from the penalty neither side threatened. We have reverted back to not getting enough bodies in the box. No real goal threat. Decent game but really don't think we can complain at the result. Second best in the first half hour, a bit of a non-event after that.
I would say a proper away performance first 20, didn’t concede and grew into the game. Agree about players into the box but asometimes it looked worse because of the amount that had back especially second half. I think we saw Hawkins limitations today we are one dimensional especially away from home because he can’t go in behind and there is no threat in the channels if the wingers are pushed back. This means they could take a high line and deny space to our midfield. Drinnan or Norwood for example can do a bit of both. Could have done with a Jackson last 15 maybe?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:23 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:17 pm
Andym wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:06 pm

I would say a proper away performance first 20, didn’t concede and grew into the game. Agree about players into the box but asometimes it looked worse because of the amount that had back especially second half. I think we saw Hawkins limitations today we are one dimensional especially away from home because he can’t go in behind and there is no threat in the channels if the wingers are pushed back. This means they could take a high line and deny space to our midfield. Drinnan or Norwood for example can do a bit of both. Could have done with a Jackson last 15 maybe?
Yep, would’ve been a Thriller of an ending. Instead it was just Bad. Think Mike is going to get Off His Wall, I mean off his face tonight with the bevvy!

Looking forward to seeing highlights later. Was it a pen? Seem divided on here.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:36 pm

How did Bennett's do when he came on? I was a bit surprised Lankester got the start.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:46 pm

Let's get this penalty situation sorted out: :evil: FACT!! YOU DONT SHOVE OR ATTEMPT A TACKLE WHEN THE PLAYER IS PRACTICALLY RIGHT ON THE F*****G BYLINE, OK, you shepherd him out not shove him, sorry Toto was at fault, under the new rules you don't hold, shove, push, trip, a player in the penalty area, its a penalty FACT, I would deduct a months wages off him to make him F*****G learn, so £25 pound 10 shillings and 6 pence he won't be getting, and when he gets home the wife kicks him in the nuts for good measure. tw*t.

Now regardless of today's result, we will go on another losing run similar to last season if we don't start bucking our ideas up and start stamping our authority on poor opposition on the likes of Lincoln, and if Lambert cant drum it in, then he can leave and we'll get someone in who can do it, none of this sh*t oh we will have to lose some games, Oi Lambert NO we F*****G don't have to lose we have to go out to win these games, get it instilled into those players minds We won't LOSE, get stuck in and be tougher than the opposition. NOW COYB

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:08 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:46 pm
Let's get this penalty situation sorted out: :evil: FACT!! YOU DONT SHOVE OR ATTEMPT A TACKLE WHEN THE PLAYER IS PRACTICALLY RIGHT ON THE F*****G BYLINE, OK, you shepherd him out not shove him, sorry Toto was at fault, under the new rules you don't hold, shove, push, trip, a player in the penalty area, its a penalty FACT, I would deduct a months wages off him to make him F*****G learn, so £25 pound 10 shillings and 6 pence he won't be getting, and when he gets home the wife kicks him in the nuts for good measure. tw*t.

Now regardless of today's result, we will go on another losing run similar to last season if we don't start bucking our ideas up and start stamping our authority on poor opposition on the likes of Lincoln, and if Lambert cant drum it in, then he can leave and we'll get someone in who can do it, none of this sh*t oh we will have to lose some games, Oi Lambert NO we F*****G don't have to lose we have to go out to win these games, get it instilled into those players minds We won't LOSE, get stuck in and be tougher than the opposition. NOW COYB
I don’t recall it being a shove, two hands on a player is a shove and a penalty.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Ash on the juice again.....

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:50 pm

Must admit, I do hate the “no given right” attitude. It’s obvious that it’s true but it needs to remain in the head. It’s a losers saying. You just do not utter, “we can’t win every game” out loud to players or the media. Not sure if Lambert has said it today, but he has in the past.

Are Lincoln City really really good? Or are Ipswich seriously sh*te? Those first half highlights were extremely worrying. If Lincoln are useful then fair enough but that first half defending was utter tosh. I dread to think what the unseen stuff was like.
Anything Ipswich created (in highlights) seemed ordinary. Nothing to write home about.

Penalty? Seen them NOT given but as Toto was a yard slow, the gap between Toto himself and the byeline was massive and the guy could’ve crossed witn ease. It was a clear shove, no dive. So yes, penalty for me. But, seen them waved away. Such is refereeing. Not an exact science.

But fans must be happy that the team are 4th. Because there is work to do. Weird how it has suddenly began to feel like last seasons pattern. Over to you Lambo...... you’ve got a paid divine right to consolidate the club in the top 6...... anymore first half’s like today, ——-> whores drawers scenario, ie, down quicker than!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:53 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:08 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:46 pm

I don’t recall it being a shove, two hands on a player is a shove and a penalty.
This turned into the meaning of shove? Ok , he shouldered him. Either way, it’s a pen every day of the week.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:03 pm

A pen that should never have occurred had the fuckwit ref given the clear foul on Bishop in the build up. On that basis it wasn't a penalty cus should never have got to that, sometimes I despair at football

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:20 pm

Yes, that was conveniently left out of the highlights I saw. Started with the ball being passed to the Lincoln player.
Was he properly snapped young Bish?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:14 pm

Clinton Morrison saying he played for the pen should not have been given.😬

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:00 pm

That’s nonsense from Clinton Morrison. The motion of the fall was from force. He was shoved, shouldered, nudged,....... one of those. Most defenders, (IMO) would’ve done what Toto done knowing they’d lost their man slightly.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:22 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:20 pm
Yes, that was conveniently left out of the highlights I saw. Started with the ball being passed to the Lincoln player.
Was he properly snapped young Bish?
I thought it was a very forceful challenge whereby the player got a lot of the ball and then crunched into Bishop. I expected a foul to be given TBH, as often these are given these days. I think it was a man and ball tackle.
The thing is - it was deep in Lincoln’s half and they had a lot to do before they got the penalty. More than enough time to accept the decision and defend better.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:42 am

Stuart Watson’s observations of the game.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/stu-says- ... -1-6899766

Got to say I agree with a lot of his points. This seems like he’s sticking the boot into Lambo, but Lambo doesn’t help himself with his post match comments. They do feel delusional at times.

”Brilliant’, ‘unbelievable football’, ‘we dominated’, ‘I can’t ask for any more’.

Paul Lambert’s post-match assessment of this performance was both worrying and delusional. As a follow-up display to the error-strewn midweek 4-1 loss at Doncaster it was average at best.”

And I agree with his assessment of the penalty decision which has divided opinion. A soft penalty, maybe, but Toto was really naive again and didn’t need to make the challenge. He was done for pace and was struggling, but just when the by-line was coming to his aid, he decided to put in that extra shove/push/nudge.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:17 am

Some of our attacking players need to learn to go down more easily in the opposition's box-be a bit more streetwise. We could easily have had 2 pens ourselves yesterday. One for Edwards and the other for Bishop I think. Most of our matches so far have had opportunities like this. We need to grow up!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:18 am

I agree with Clinton Morrison, never a penalty and if that is a foul there should have been over 50 given in the game all over the pitch, sh*te decision

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:22 am

Can't and won't keep commenting on Paul Lambert because the man seriously gets on my nerves...... id like to think my views could generate discussion but they really won't.

What is the abbreviation used these days ----> SMH? (Shakes my head) That is all I do these days when I read or hear Paul Lambert.

Last point on it, and not having a pop at Mevans........., but it's very unfortunate that they're all "good pals". Mevans and Mick, Mevans and Lambo. It is NOT a bad thing to kick arse at times. It's not a good period in ITFC history when they are beaten by f**king Doncaster Rovers and Lincoln f**king City in the same week. It's NOT brilliant, Paul. And get it sorted.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:26 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:18 am
I agree with Clinton Morrison, never a penalty and if that is a foul there should have been over 50 given in the game all over the pitch, sh*te decision
Just went back and watched it. It's actually NOT just a pen...... It's a stonewall pen. That happens to Edwards in the other box, everyone is screaming. He's bundled over. :lol: It's clear! There's another one........ Shoved , shouldered, bundled , nudged. For once, a ref gets it right........, and then Lambert talks sh*te.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:28 am

I still think he has felt the contact as you point out Tang at the point the byline approaches and he has gone to ground. Saying that Toto should be aware of the situation and has made a poor decision.

When asked about the pen PL referred to the tackle on Bishop therefore by avoiding the direct questions I think he will be frustrated with Toto. I suppose We will find out Tuesday when the team is announced. I don’t like singling players out but that’s 2 pens in 2 games so keeping in line with owning the shirt policy, I don’t think there can be too many complaints if he is replaced.

If replaced who would it be Woolfy or McGuiness ?