Lincoln City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we bounce back?

Imps Win
58%
Town Win
17%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 12

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Lincoln City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 pm

Exactly Billy and this is the knee jerk nonsense we town fans have to endure these days.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:16 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:47 pm
Exactly Billy and this is the knee jerk nonsense we town fans have to endure these days.
In saying that Mike, we have to be a bit careful not to accept mediocrity either this season as I believe it's very important that we go up this year.

Obviously I have no issue supporting the team through thick and thin (we have all been doing this for years :D ), but there must come a point when no different to our own everyday jobs, that the management and players takes ownership of our performances on the pitch and accept some criticism when we fail.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:25 am

I agree but I don't think the last Two games should be the catalyst to judge a players performance over the season, Toto is getting the flak and yet others have been worse, I still don't believe the Lincoln one was even a penalty, several players hide to an extent, Wilson who is blame free is one of them, he seldom makes a pass of note, always gives it to Toto or the full back to take responsibility and yes when Toto makes a bad pass it looks bad on him but at least he shows and tries, I find that a bit wrong from Wilson and others at times. Bishop was a no-show, nothing really said, Ward was awful, nothing said, Lankester anonymous, nothing said.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:07 am

Those are good observations snd for all we know Wilson's instructions might be to feed the ball to Toto who is to look for a forward pass.

Truth is this is a new way of playing and it will take time for them all to get fully used to it and develop the understanding to know where these forward passes should go in order to achieve the best completion %ages.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:25 am
I agree but I don't think the last Two games should be the catalyst to judge a players performance over the season, Toto is getting the flak and yet others have been worse, I still don't believe the Lincoln one was even a penalty, several players hide to an extent, Wilson who is blame free is one of them, he seldom makes a pass of note, always gives it to Toto or the full back to take responsibility and yes when Toto makes a bad pass it looks bad on him but at least he shows and tries, I find that a bit wrong from Wilson and others at times. Bishop was a no-show, nothing really said, Ward was awful, nothing said, Lankester anonymous, nothing said.
I agree. The first 20 minutes when Lincoln dominated it all came down our left side. Had Kenlock been playing, he'd have been heavily criticised.

Toto gas a lot to learn about not making those challenges. But that aside he had a decent game - better than the previous one.

I know a lot of people want Woolfy back.in but I think we have to consider the left/right balance. And I'm still not convinced he is that great. Good with the ball at his feet but always looked shaky defensively to me when he hasn't had Chambers next to him holding his hand.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:17 pm

Woolfy didn't impress me the odd times he's played this season, even when we played the kids he was very ropey in the first half especially. Sadly the pressure on Toto now is immense and the fact he has had a decent season bar the last week will count for nothing, his confidence has been up and he needs backing not dropping, thankfully I think Lambert will see it that way too, if not we'll probably have a player back to square one and we can't afford that.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:41 pm

Always one player who gets blamed though Mike. Whether it's Chambers from present history to whoever

Toto has to be there to get the blame, this is true but my problem with Toto is he's bit like Titus Bramble for me of few years ago. He balls watches and get caught out, In wrong position and has to react but he's slow in doing so. There's always a mistake in him. Another player is Man City's Kyle Walker.

Yes, yes Kyle is leaps and bounds better play than Toto but saying watch how many times Kyle gets caught out which leads to blunders

I still say that penalty was very soft, and we can continue to discuss it's rights and wrongs but lets move on and see what happens next. One thing though, if the Lincoln manager said what he's reported to have then how come Lincoln only beaten us by one dodgy penalty? Hang that article up on the wall in the dressing room for when they visit us i say

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:15 pm

Essentially it’s about reading the game . Maybe Ward and Wilson aren’t bringing the ball out of defence ( I don’t know I haven’t seen enough of them recently), but we want defenders to be able to read the game. Do the simple thing first, and be safe and not take risks , or put the ref in a position where he’s forced to make a decision.

I like Toto. He’s a good honest player but I agree with you there always seems to be a mistake in him. Why is that ? Does he not read the game as well, get caught out and is then making a last ditch challenge to rectify a situation ? Is he covering for someone else ( Chambers was often doing this for Knudsen and getting caught out and then blamed for a c*ck up).

We don’t have a stunning set of defenders it’s true. Maybe we just expect too much from then? I honestly don’t know.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:56 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:15 pm
I like Toto.
Same here. What is your Favourite? Africa? Or Rosanna? Or more appropriately for a defender, "Hold the Line"?