Ipswich Town vs Crewe Alexandria Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Back up the mid week win?

Town Win
75%
Crewe Win
8%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 12

hallamblue

Re: Ipswich Town vs Crewe Alexandria Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:21 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:18 pm
Credit to Crewe, i would say best footballing team in this league

Credit where credit is do though for winning. Quite how though i'm not sure other than battling.
Thought Judge was awful, he passes the ball five yards wayward conceding a throw in, then shouts at the player he was aiming for. Not saying he didn't try but for me just totally awful.
I actually thought Sears did ok, for me Dozzell and Judge were poor, both CB's did ok and thought full backs also did ok but man of the match was Holy with Hawkins doing well and Edwards apart from that stupid foul near the end battled well. Not sure why Bishop was taken off, heads and tales above Dozzell and Judge.

Better second half, more even but these are the games need to win to be up there at end of season
Totally agree with you Steve. I cannot stand Judge myself and I don’t think he does anything to warrant a first team start.
I think Hawkins ( like Jackson), would be better in a strike partnership than as a lone striker. But then that means us changing formation .

Whatever our feelings and opinions , one fact we can’t ignore is Town are top of the league right now for all our “ faults”.

COYBs

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:24 pm

A better second half if not convincing. I'm not as anti-Judge as some, but I wonder how he gets selected so regularly. His inclusion seemed to push Bishop deeper in the first half so he was less effective. Crewe showed us how to pass, how to get men forward and how to move off the ball. We were dong that earlier in the season and need to start again really.

3 points is 3 points. We weren't awful, just second best. There is a difference.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:26 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:02 pm
I thought Jackson coming on was the right decision and did well when he did.

Top of the league!

Lambert out🤦‍♂️
I disagree .... we were pinned back for the rest of the game and we had no out ball. Jackson had one run on the right and a cross , but did little else. Hawkins was winning balls at that point and providing an outlet. Keep him longer.
I’m loving the win, but we were totally outplayed. Lambert needs to get more out of the team. We won because Crewe didn’t have the killer instinct and because our defenders made last gasp challenges.... and Holy made good saves.
Where was the midfield? Why was Lankester brought on who didn’t solidify the midfield?

If Lambert says we played really, really great and gives no credit to Crewe he’s a massive tit.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:57 pm

I think its only fair and right to give credit where credit is due, we all know we were second best for much of the game and fortunate to win, but we are joint top, seven wins from Ten games and not a single goal conceded at home, we never give in and we stick to our game plan, its working, Crewe are a damn good side as Doncaster found out, but we won, there is much to admire in our start to the season, we still have a whole host of injured players to return. It doesn't matter how these points come as long as they keep coming. The one thing I like the most is the togetherness within the squad, it appears the team spirit is really good.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:57 pm
I think its only fair and right to give credit where credit is due, we all know we were second best for much of the game and fortunate to win, but we are joint top, seven wins from Ten games and not a single goal conceded at home, we never give in and we stick to our game plan, its working, Crewe are a damn good side as Doncaster found out, but we won, there is much to admire in our start to the season, we still have a whole host of injured players to return. It doesn't matter how these points come as long as they keep coming. The one thing I like the most is the togetherness within the squad, it appears the team spirit is really good.
I agree. And even if we were second best, I think we tried to play football. I think if we had scored earlier we would have won more comfortably.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:17 pm

Here’s a stat for you.

Ipswich Town haven’t lost a home game when they scored the game’s first goal in the second-half, since March 1989. Not mine found on Twitter.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:22 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:26 pm
Ando wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:02 pm
I thought Jackson coming on was the right decision and did well when he did.

Top of the league!

Lambert out🤦‍♂️
I disagree .... we were pinned back for the rest of the game and we had no out ball. Jackson had one run on the right and a cross , but did little else. Hawkins was winning balls at that point and providing an outlet. Keep him longer.
I’m loving the win, but we were totally outplayed. Lambert needs to get more out of the team. We won because Crewe didn’t have the killer instinct and because our defenders made last gasp challenges.... and Holy made good saves.
Where was the midfield? Why was Lankester brought on who didn’t solidify the midfield?

If Lambert says we played really, really great and gives no credit to Crewe he’s a massive tit.
PL said we were poor and never did the basics first half.

Jackson gave us a different outlet and made sense as we looked to play on the counter causing different problems for the centre back who to be fair delt pretty well with Hawkins first half.

I know it did not look too windy I think it did play a part in the game.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:26 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:57 pm
Spot on Mike

No team can play Really, really well or Brilliant every game. I agree on the team spirit also

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:36 pm

I think we needed to inject a “ threat” of pace late in the game . The three subs all offered that , so Crewe for all their pressing late on still stood to get on the break by us. But we are largely too slow snd one paced . PL could easily shake that up with players we have in the squad. But if drop Judge snd bring Huws in for a bit more beef in the middle .

It used to be said a team was a good team if it could get points when having an “ off day”. I’d say we did that today .

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:05 pm

Lockdown. Season over. Ipswich promoted.

Good whisky this.....

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:23 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:05 pm
Lockdown. Season over. Ipswich promoted.

Good whisky this.....
Was thinking the same but Abbott Ale not whisky 😂. Seems football will continue

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:20 pm

Guinness draught for me...keeps me regular! :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:00 pm

I’ll drink to all of that 👍 cheers 🍻 🥂 guys x

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:02 am

Other scores at the top went our way for once mostly so all told it's been a satisfactory end of month. Some say Crewe are in fact a good team ? The league wouldn't seem to agree but seems once again we got away with something we didn't truly deserve.

Thing is end of the season no-one will recall the opposition being perhaps the better team today or unfortunate to be eventually beaten, statistics can be kind of lost on people over enough time. We're grinding out results and keeping the opposition out. You got to take your chances : they didn't and sorry and all that but it's all about our own endeavors. Hawkins can only improve after today and could be a useful addition in the months ahead.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:30 am

Happy to take the 3 points and move on to Sunderland away on Tuesday. It's a crazy cluster of games this and I'm sure PL took Hawkins off since he's been out recently and will need to be fresh for the next game. Also very important to give Jackson some minutes and get him up to game speed. It can be that Hawkins/Jackson can be a good partnership in a 4-4-2 if that change is needed but both need some games to get to max sharpness IMO.

From what highlights I saw of the games earlier in the season I think maybe when we looked like we had pace it was often due to some incisive passing forwards from the likes of Dozzell in particular. I wonder if that outlet is being more effectively closed by teams now and maybe Doz needs a little rest?

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:40 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:30 am

From what highlights I saw of the games earlier in the season I think maybe when we looked like we had pace it was often due to some incisive passing forwards from the likes of Dozzell in particular. I wonder if that outlet is being more effectively closed by teams now and maybe Doz needs a little rest?
One more yellow card and he'll get a rest!

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:49 am

Yes I mentioned earlier I thought he was one booking away before today’s but clearly not. I thought the yellow was harsh, not seen it back enough to be clear.
Is Nolan available for Tuesday? Can’t recall if it’s a 2 or 3 match ban.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:32 am

He has five already but only Four in the league, Nolan sits out Sunderland then is available again

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:06 pm

So long as we keep the same back 4 for Tuesday I shall be happy, please no Sears, But Hawkins and Jackson Edwards up Top, Dozzell, Bishop & Huws middle, 4-3-3 all-out attack, get in amongst the mackems don't let them control the game.