Sunderland AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A big fixture, how will we fare?

Sunderland Win
35%
Ipswich Win
18%
Draw
47%

Total votes: 17

Frosty
Forum Owner

Sunderland AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:57 pm

ImageSunderland AFC v Ipswich TownImage

Tuesday 3rd November 2020 – 19:00

Stadium of Light

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Oli Oli Oli........

There had been a fair bit of talk in the build up to the game against Crewe Alexandra about how we need our strikers to start scoring and how we couldn't continue expecting the Midfield to bail us out in that department, and right on cue up stepped Oli Hawkins to notch his first goal for the club and in doing so it helped secure another Three priceless points towards our end goal.

Despite the win there is nobody who can ignore the fact that for Forty Five minutes we were given a footballing lesson as the Railwaymen took the game to Town and ran the entire half, I think they can count themselves very unlucky not to have gone in at the interval ahead, Three or Four of their players really caught the eye and the traditions that have so long been associated with Crewe and the likes of Dario Gradi are very much alive and kicking. Of course this is the type of football Town aspire to and we have seen it in patches, especially the early games of this season but when all is said and done its results and points on the board what matter, pretty football counts for little as our visitors found out.

Despite being given the runaround Town did respond after the break and definitely had the better of the half without dominating quite as much as Crewe had prior to half time. Suddenly we stepped up the pace, looked to get forward more with forward passes which had been non existent in the opening half, Edwards became a threat while Bishop imposed himself more and added to that Ward and Chambers got forward to support the attack better, it all contributed to a better display. Hawkins getting his first goal was well deserved after some impressive outings that sometimes go a little unnoticed so hopefully he can go on a little run, the cameo by Jackson impressed me to and it is good to have him available again.

So that's Five home games, Fifteen points and still not a goal conceded, excellent in anyone's book and grinding out wins when second best is the mark of a successful side, Portman Road is a real fortress at the moment and it really does back up my thoughts in recent seasons that our fans are a hindrance rather than a help.

Next up is a massive encounter between arguably the Two biggest names in the division as we head up to Mackham country to pit our wits against High flying Sunderland. The argument still rages about our inability to really perform against the better sides in the division but I just know one day will deliver a massive result in one of these contests, will it be this time ? Who knows but any kind of return from this fixture would be most welcome, with a break for FA Cup action looming this weekend how good would it be to go into on top of the table after a good result, Sunderland are good, they aren't great, same us really but anything can happen on the day. I feel we could nick a draw and that is my prediction. I'm looking forward to this one, I hope I'm not disappointed. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Sunderland

Founded 17 October 1879 as 'Sunderland and District Teachers A.F.C.' by schoolmaster James Allan, Sunderland joined The Football League for the 1890–91 season. They replaced Stoke, who had failed to be re-elected, becoming the first new club to join the league since its inauguration in 1888.

During the late 19th century, they were declared the "Team of All Talents" by William McGregor. Sunderland won the league championship in the 1891–92 season, one season after joining The Football League. Sunderland successfully defended the title the following season. In the process, they became the first team to score 100 goals in a season, a feat not matched until 1919–20.

Sunderland came close to winning a third successive league championship in the 1893–94 season, finishing second behind Aston Villa. However, they regained the title in the 1894–95 season.

Sunderland came close to winning another league title in the 1897–98 season, when they finished as runners-up. That season was their last at Newcastle Road, as they moved to Roker Park the following season. After coming second in 1900–01, the club won their fourth league title in the 1901–02 season.

The club won the league again in 1913, but lost their first FA Cup final to Aston Villa, in a very tough loss. This was the closest the club has come to winning the league title and the FA Cup in the same season.

Two seasons later the First World War brought the league to a halt. After the league's resumption, Sunderland came close to winning another championship in the 1922–23 season, when they were runners-up to Liverpool. They also came close the following season, finishing third, four points from the top of the league. The club escaped relegation from the First Division by one point in the 1927–28 season.

The club's sixth league championship came in the 1935–36 season, and they won the FA Cup the following season, after a victory against Preston North End at Wembley Stadium.

The remainder of the decade saw mid-table finishes, until the league and FA Cup were suspended for the duration of the Second World War.

For Sunderland, the immediate post-war years were characterised by significant spending. This, along with record-breaking transfer fees, led to a contemporary nickname, the "Bank of England club". The club finished third in the First Division in 1950, their highest finish since the 1936 championship.

The late 1950s saw a sharp downturn in Sunderland's fortunes, and in 1958 they were relegated from the highest division for the first time in their 68-year league history.

Sunderland's absence from the top flight lasted six years. After the close call in the previous season, the club was promoted to Division One in 1964 after finishing in second place. At the end of the decade, they were again relegated to the Second Division.

Sunderland won their last major trophy in 1973, in a 1–0 victory over Leeds United in the FA Cup Final. Since 1973 only two other clubs, Southampton in 1976, and West Ham United in 1980, have equalled Sunderland's achievement of lifting the FA Cup while playing outside the top tier of English football.

By winning the 1973 FA Cup Final, Sunderland qualified for the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, the club's only appearance in European competition to date.

After spending six seasons in the Second Division, Sunderland were promoted to Division One in the 1975–76 season, however, they were relegated the following season back into Division Two.

Sunderland appeared in their first League Cup final in 1985, but lost to Norwich City.

In 1987, Sunderland saw one of the lowest points in their history, when they were relegated to the Third Division of the English league for the first time, but were promoted straight away the following season.

In 1990, they were promoted back to the top flight in unusual circumstances. Sunderland lost to Swindon Town in the play-off final, but Swindon's promotion was revoked after the club was found guilty of financial irregularities and Sunderland were promoted instead. They stayed up for one year before being relegated on the final day of the following season.

Sunderland's next outing in a major final came in 1992 when, as a Second Division club, they returned to the FA Cup final. There was to be no repeat of the heroics of 1973, as Sunderland lost to Liverpool.

After promotion from Division One in the 1995–96 season, Sunderland began their first season in the Premier League, but finished third from the bottom and were relegated back to the First Division.

In 1997, Sunderland left Roker Park, their home for 99 years. The club moved to the Stadium of Light, a 42,000-seat arena that, at the time, was the largest stadium built in England after the Second World War.

Sunderland returned to the Premier League as First Division champions in 1999 with a then-record 105 points. At the end of the season Sunderland finished seventh, with Kevin Phillips winning the European Golden Shoe in his first top-flight season, scoring 30 goals.

Another seventh-place finish in the 2000–01 season was followed by two less successful seasons, and they were relegated to the second-tier with a then-record low 19 points in 2003.

Former Ireland manager Mick McCarthy took over at the club, and, in 2005, he took Sunderland up as champions for the third time in less than ten years. However, the club's stay in the top flight was short-live as Sunderland were once again relegated, this time with a new record-low total of 15 points.

Following Sunderland's relegation from the Premier League, the club was taken over by the Irish Drumaville Consortium, headed by ex-player Niall Quinn, who appointed former Manchester United captain Roy Keane as the new manager.

Under Keane, the club rose steadily up the table with an unbeaten run of 17 games to win promotion to the Premier League, and were named winners of the Championship.

At the start of the 2009/10 campaign, Irish-American businessman Ellis Short completed a full takeover of the club, and Steve Bruce was announced as the next manager on 3 June.

Sunderland started the 2010–11 season strongly and they eventually finished 10th — which was still their highest top-flight finish for 10 years.

Bruce was sacked in November 2011, and replaced by Martin O'Neill. In February 2012, Quinn left the club with immediate effect. O'Neill was sacked in March 2013 and Italian Paolo Di Canio was announced as his replacement the following day. The appointment prompted the immediate resignation of club Vice Chairman David Miliband due to Di Canio's "past political statements". Sunderland went on to survive relegation with one game to go.

Di Canio was sacked after a poor start to the 2013–14 season, and reports of a complete breakdown in relations with his players. Gus Poyet was announced as his replacement, and led Sunderland to the 2014 Football League Cup Final, where they were defeated by Manchester City.

In March 2015 Poyet was sacked, and veteran Dutchman Advocaat was appointed as the club's new head coach, saving the club from relegation. Eight games into the 2015–16 season he resigned from the position. Sam Allardyce was appointed the next manager in October 2015. Sunderland remained in the relegation zone for much of the remainder of the 2015–16 season, but Allardyce was able to save the club from being relegated with improved form in the second half of the season.

In July 2016, Allardyce left the club to be announced as manager for the English national team following the dismissal of Roy Hodgson. Former Everton and Manchester United manager David Moyes was appointed as his replacement on a 4-year contract. Under Moyes, Sunderland made the worst ever start to a Premier League season, taking just 2 points from their opening 10 matches. The club was relegated to the second tier for the first time in ten years at the end of the 2016–17 season, finishing bottom of the table with 24 points. On 22 May 2017, Moyes resigned as manager of the club. On 15 June 2017, goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, product of the Sunderland's academy, having joined the club aged eight, was transferred to Everton for a fee of £25 million, rising to a possible £30 million, a record for a British goalkeeper.

Following relegation, Simon Grayson was announced as the new manager of the club. Under Grayson, the club made a very poor start to the 2017–18 EFL Championship season (which was documented in the Netflix series Sunderland 'Til I Die), taking only 2 wins in 14 games. was sacked, and Wales head coach Chris Coleman replaced him in November 2017.

In April 2018, after a second consecutive relegation, this time to League One, the club was sold to a group led by Stewart Donald, chairman of Eastleigh F.C. and Coleman was released from his contract.

St Mirren manager Jack Ross was appointed as manager in May 2018 to take charge of what is only the club's second ever season in the third flight of the English football league system. In their first season in League One the team finished 5th and reached the playoff final, but lost to Charlton Athletic at Wembley.

On 17 October 2019, Phil Parkinson was unveiled as the Sunderland manager on a two and a half year contract.

Sunderland finished the season in 8th place, their lowest ever league position, with the final standings ultimately being determined by points per game due to football's suspension due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Manager – Phil Parkinson

Form Guide

Sunderland Last 5 Matches – Currently in 6th place with 18 points

17 Oct Swindon Town 0 - 2 Sunderland

20 Oct Sunderland 1 - 0 Crewe Alexandra

24 Oct Sunderland 1 - 3 Portsmouth

27 Oct Rochdale 2 - 2 Sunderland

31 Oct Gillingham 0 - 2 Sunderland

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 2nd place with 22 points

17 Oct Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Accrington

20 Oct Doncaster 4 - 1 Ipswich Town

24 Oct Lincoln City 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

27 Oct Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Gillingham

31 Oct Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Crewe Alexandria

Match referee – Peter Wright

SUNDERLAND 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Andym

Re: Sunderland AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:14 pm

We are struggling to create and score at the moment. I think we will lose by at least 2 goals. Hoping not, I have a mate who supports Sunderland and he'll be unbearable.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:23 pm

Ive gone for a draw because as you say, we are struggling to create goals atm.

Now there seems to be a lot of credit being given to Sunderland, and that they are the divisions top dogs. Yet I’m not really sure why. They have been in this division how long now, 3-4 years? I can’t recall them being in the top two ,and this season have remained below us. Now I’m not suggesting we are going to S of L and coming away with a win. I’m realistic to know that would be a fantastic result. I’d take a draw frankly and consider it a very good point But I’m not sure why Sunderland are being held up by many Town fans and the local press as some kind of rule or bench mark to measure our own credentials against.

Am I missing something here ? 🤷‍♀️

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:46 pm

i think you're right, they are no better than half a dozen others in thus league. But i still think theyll be too much for us.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:47 pm

If we can play 4-3-3 with Jackson, Hawkins & Edwards up top Huws Bishop and Dozzell midfield, same back 4 as on Saturday I think we can steal this, all-out attack from the word go, take the game to them, learn from the Crewe match. get stuck in full 90 mins COYB

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:12 pm

AB I think we need some guts in midfield . I’d say Huws needs to be in there. It be wouldn’t surprise me if Dozzell is rested .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:55 am

No votes for ITFC....... thought I’d oblige. From
a wee football bet perspective, there is always one or two surprises...... hopefully Ipswich can be that surprise. But won’t bet, never do.
2-1 ITFC.

Ref caption:

“Get away from the 4th official mum, I told you I was refereeing tonight. I’ll get my milk and cookies when I’m home!”

Phil Parkinson caption:

Interviewer:
“We’ll get to the game in a minute Phil, but we’ve just heard from your Mrs...... the heating boiler failed it’s emissions test. Looking like a new boiler required.
Phil: (picture)

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:38 am

I think Marko makes a point about the no votes. It’s like we’re big underdogs. Even though we’re top, there doesn’t appear a feeling that we can beat better sides - or the ones considered the better sides.

This would be a big step forward if we put in a decent performance tonight. I’m not even sure the team believes they’re good enough judging by the last few games. I know we won the last couple of games, but that was mostly down to the opposition being crap or letting us of the hook. Fair play to the defence and Holy for the win on Saturday, but that was not a stalwart, well-organised defensive display ie 2 rows of defence guarding our penalty area and easily heading out hopeful crosses for 20-30 minutes. They were passing and dribbling into our box at ease and it was only down to last ditch tackles and saves from Holy that we kept a clean sheet.
Mike makes the point about having no fans makes us better - well let’s hope we see that in the future performances and not just look at the results. We improved in the second half, but I can’t see how we were the better side in the second half- I thought we were hanging on at the end. We don’t seem to be able to control midfield. We seem to get overwhelmed in midfield so easily whenever we’re put under pressure. Surely Huws has to come into the midfield even though he’s not been the best this season. For me, Judge and Sears should make way.
We can crow we’re top of the league, but if we’re so good, many would be voting for a win tonight. Big one tonight and hopefully we’ll put in a better performance.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:24 am

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:38 am
We can crow we’re top of the league, but if we’re so good, many would be voting for a win tonight.
Yep. Thinking the same. Not necessarily about this place, but a lot of “top o the league” crowing in other places. Doesn’t tie in with the apathy towards winning @ Sunderland.
Maybe deep down, the “divine righters” know ITFC should be annihilating Crewe @ PR.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:10 am

I think there is no votes for a Town win tonight because most on this forum make plenty of noise about how we fail to bet the better sides so they are hardly going to vote in favour.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:38 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:10 am
I think there is no votes for a Town win tonight because most on this forum make plenty of noise about how we fail to bet the better sides so they are hardly going to vote in favour.
But it’s a fact. Last season, we came 11th and only beat Fleetwood and Gillingham above us once each. For a club with one of th e best (or most expensive) squads and ambitions to get out of the league - that’s inexcusable. And if you can beat top end clubs then it’s not only 3 points, but that’s 3 points you’re competitors don’t get. If we’d have been capable of winning a few six pointers we’d have ended up in the top six.
I’d happily swap the odd banana skin loss to lower end clubs if we could beat regularly top end clubs. A good performance tonight would go someways to indicating we’re going in the right direction.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:49 am

well my two pence worth , would be to see Lambert inject some pace into the side. We are so bloody pedestrian and one paced in our build up, its almost painful to watch at times. Predictable even ! Get some speed in the side , AND some guts in the midfield. We must make opposition defences "worry" about us .

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:12 pm

I can’t remember the last time I didn’t pick Town to win in the preview poll.

Went for the draw tonight, although Sunderlands defence has got some mounting injuries which may give us an opportunity.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:01 pm

Frosty wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:12 pm
.....although Sunderlands defence has got some mounting injuries which may give us an opportunity.
And don' forget, Phil is thinking, hmmm, Worcester Bosch, Ideal Logic, can't decide. His mind is elsewhere right now. Must take advantage.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:05 pm

Last season is last season, means nothing in the same way 81 season means nothing. We have a chance tonight to see how far if at all we have progressed, albeit with a crippling injury list ourselves. Donny tore us apart that is true, Lincoln got a decision go their way.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:23 pm

well to my mind I hope we go out with more attacking intent than we did against Crewe - in that game for the first half, all 20 outfield players were kicking in the same direction, or at least that's how it appeared to me. I thought Skuse was the master of backwards and sideways, but Judge is possibly even worse.

If PL replaces Judge with Huws, and Sears with Bennetts, I think we might sneak a win by the odd goal.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:32 pm

I actually thought the same thing with the first half against Crewe, we were just backwards all the damn time, Edwards was about the only one who at least tried to run forwards

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:22 pm

Voted for them to win it. Don't get much pleasure from envisaging your own team to lose but we've been fortunate with one or two results just recent and picked up scores we didn't truly deserve. No mention of (opposition) providing Norwich with their only recognized trophy or even the referee (once again) looks not beyond ninth grade. Damn too late.

Sunderland 2 Town 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:50 pm

Is it a recognised trophy, Saint? Na, surely not! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:13 pm

It would be nice if we can win this comfortably and push on from here. Sunderland also have a game in hand. Defensively we've actually looked pretty decent except for the Donny game. Likewise Sunderland have been pretty tight at the back. We need to start scoring again, obviously. What's happened to Edwards? Honestly though if I see another report of being outplayed and not creating a shot on target, I'm really gonna be pissed. Lambert should have the players fired up for this game as it would certainly be a statement if we do win this comfortably.

Sunderland 1 v Ipswich 1

Draw!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:18 pm

Ref caption: Jean-Luc Picard's grandson chooses football refereeing over Star Fleet Academy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:03 pm

Nsiala, Lankester and Jackson in for Woolfenden, sears and Hawkins

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:07 pm

Wolfie injured ? Not even on the bench 😬

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:10 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:07 pm
Wolfie injured ? Not even on the bench 😬
He’s. Self isolating for 14 days as he’s come into close contact with someone who’s tested positive. Maybe his missus.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:13 pm

Well I suppose that's good news, I think Huws should have been in not Judge.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:17 pm

Pedestrian midfield again then I see 🙄. Shame about the CB pairing being forced to change . Up front a bit of pace at last . Fingers crossed 🤞.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:21 pm

On a night of swing-o-meters...... sensing big swing, ——> win to loss, by-passing the draw.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:28 pm

Kick off delayed til 7:30?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:32 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:17 pm
Pedestrian midfield again then I see 🙄. Shame about the CB pairing being forced to change . Up front a bit of pace at last . Fingers crossed 🤞.
Many have wanted Jackson up front and he does offer that pace. It all depends on the kind of service he gets - can’t see him getting much joy if the CB’s punt it up to him. Is Lankester pacy, though? I’m not sure if he’s fleet of heel or not. He seems more of a Darren Currie slow winger type who cuts inside rather than beat a winger. Wouldn’t mind seeing Bennetts given a go, but prefer Lankester to Sears.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:36 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:28 pm
Kick off delayed til 7:30?
Yep, issues with the Ifollow broadcast at Stadium of Light.