Coronavirus Football

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How important does this season feel to everyone?

As important as any other season
63%
Not as important but still care to an extent
25%
Couldn't care less, farcical without fans
13%

Total votes: 8

marko69
Global Moderator

Coronavirus Football

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:50 pm

I don't start many threads but feel compelled to today after last nights Scottish Cup semi final. Hearts defeat Hibs.

Got to assume no one watched it, but my God, what a complete waste of time. And hey, it's not sour grapes, good for them, Craig Gordon in goal played an absolute blinder, was also immensely lucky in parts , they'll now get humped in the final and we all move on. That's the way of it.

Here is the point though. Who the hell cares?

I have a fair few buddies,....., three of those buddies get a tad over emotional like the tw@ts they are over the football, but one of those three?? Arguing with people, falling out with his Mrs, etc etc. And this is with 22 blokes on an echoey national stadium like it was in a gym hall playing "Coronavirus football". It is all completely farcical. I personally didn't feel ANY emotion whatsoever last night at full time as did many buddies, ----> "ach well, just lost a farcical semi final, would've been good to win it, but there you go......" tyoe of attitude. Seriously??? Who cares? Losing a semi final that had no fans intensity added to the proceedings? Missing out on a cup final that no fans will be present at? WHO CARES???

And with Ipswich Town FC? Watching bit-part highlights like they're all down the high school gym hall? GREAT to win, always is, that is NEVER disputed....... But the anger when losing at Coronavirus football?? I just do not get it, AT ALL.

Ando

Re: Coronavirus Football

Post by Ando » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:31 pm

There is an empty feeling about football at present. A fella at work is a Liverpool fan and them winning the league was just not the same for him all those years of wait and not being there to celebrate properly.

I would have been gutted if Town had got into the play offs and we got promoted from it. Would have felt cheated out of the experience. The only thing that keeps it interesting this year is the thought of returning to PR before the end of the season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:35 am

I struggle to maintain my normal level of interest however with promotion still there at the end of the season I feel it’s as important as ever. I also believe if we lose interest completely and allow footie to wither on the vine there’s a strong possibility the season will get suspended again and if that happens possibly never return in its current format.

Hopefully by next season a new normality will return with Covid under control and being nothing more than another flu. If that happens and we start the season in The Championship we will look back on this season with a completely different outlook.

Stay interested guys, this could just be a good season for us, and who knows some of us may even get into the ground to watch some of the later scheduled fixtures.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:16 am

My take on it is this, I work with covid every day of my life and have done since March, at first it was scary, now its "just another day", during that time I have decided that I will live my life as normally as possible, my partner and I have managed Four holidays and been to cinema a few times and numerous restaurants, we stay safe and hurt nobody.

With that in mind the football is in my opinion just the same and just as important, only difference is I can't be there cheering on the lads, in fact I think this season is even more important than ever before as we have to go up, failure to do so could consign us to years in the wilderness with the salary cap etc, it sure as hell matters to me and my enthusiasm for Town hasn't waned and never will.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:30 am

First paragraph, hats off to you and great to read Covid perspective. Regarding the cinema. I’ve forgotten what that’s like. Haven’t forgotten the prices, but can’t wait to get back to a cinema. Stuff the prices; going to spend £100 on sweets! 6 minstrels grab bags! Oh yeah!

Re football; appreciate your comments. I suppose another way to train the mind on it is indeed; its going to happen anyway so either grasp it and enjoy it or go away.
I’m really REALLY struggling to enjoy it. I’m seeing all games as a big training session. If I could feel that the players were under pressure, I’d enjoy it more. That’s my take on no fans football. Really am struggling with it.

But..... as you say, from an actual reality viewpoint, it is very important that Ipswich take things seriously because it’s happening, no matter what.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:52 pm

Like Mike, I work with CoVid on a daily basis ( GP surgeries), and you become almost accepting of the risk, but still mindful. You just get on with it really. I’ll be honest and say I often don’t feel especially “ at risk”, I think if I did, I’d probably never leave the house. But life has to go on.

Football still means a lot to me and I miss the people I’d normally meet up with in that situation. There seems to be so much going on “in the game”, eg, the PL split, EFL clubs close to ruin etc, and then CoVid coming over the top of all that and
bringing all financial problems to the fore. What it does highlight is , that despite all the money 8n the game, football is nothing without us fans is it.

I want us to get promoted this season. I’m desperate that we do. But it will also be Sod’s law that if we do achieve that, that it’ll be without the presence of the success starved and largely loyal Town fans. We get no luck do we!