Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

We gonna make it to the 2nd Round?

Ipswich Win
40%
Pompey Win
50%
Draw
10%

Total votes: 10

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by Frosty » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:45 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Portsmouth FCImage

FA CUP

Saturday 7th November 2020 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

A Travesty On Tyneside.....................

To say we were hard done by at The Stadium of Light on Tuesday evening is for most, putting it mildly, from the opening Sunderland goal, which looked comfortably offside, to the ludicrous Andre Dozzell Red card which took control of the game out of our hands, to the unbelievable and shocking decision to award them a penalty for absolutely nothing, yes I think it is fair to say decisions did not go our way, as a result we await the verdict on our Red card appeal which in truth is never going to be overturned and therefore face being without one of the seasons better performers for Four games, the injustice of it all really narks me and I found myself fuming late on into Tuesday evening, I seriously question sometimes why I bother with it because the standard of refereeing just goes from bad to worse.

Looking beyond the cheating by the referee we can be proud of how we went about the job, I felt from mid way in the first half to the penalty we bossed the game in nearly every area, Paul Lambert always says we were incredible and sometimes it's ridiculous but on the occasion I thought for an away game at a so called big club we were just that and can be proud of our efforts, in some ways that makes the events on the night even more galling, whatever the outcome of the Red card appeal it won't change the fact we appear to have been robbed of at least a point, maybe Three.

Pleasing signs for me were the return of Kayden Jackson to first team action, Jack Lankester getting more and more game time and helping himself to his first goal of the season and the impressive showing from the much maligned Toto Nsiala who could well have been fragile where confidence is concerned having been dropped but who for me put in a MOTM performance to silence his doubters once more. I still think Toto has been leaps and bounds ahead of Luke Woolfenden this season but for some reason opinion is well and truly divided on him.

What we have to do is dust ourselves down and get ready for the next game, by that I mean League game where we are once again at home to a team most will feel we should be beating, it gives us the chance to get back on track, right some very unfortunate wrongs and keep our 100% home form going, that in itself we see us maintain our place in the top Two positions in the still very young League table.

The Long And Winding Road........

We take a break from the Bread & Butter of League action this weekend as we embark on the long road to Wembley Stadium in the FA Cup first round, our opponents once more are those Pompey boys from the South coast Portsmouth FC. Yes it looks a tough game, especially given their current form and more so how we approach a game which quite frankly will be viewed by many as nothing more than a unwanted hindrance in our attempts at promotion, and when you put it like that who can really argue, although for me I love a good cup run, even though I am struggling to remember what it feels like.

How Portsmouth approach the game is anyone's guess but I would suspect they too will make the undoubted changes that will be visible within the Town team on the day. I am expecting the likes of Kenlock, Wilson, Cornell, Bennetts, Sears, Dobra etc etc to be on view and to be fair it's still a team capable of competing with our guests.

The game has to be decided on the day and unfortunately I feel that by 5.30 Saturday evening we will have seen our interest ended in the greatest cup tournament in the world for another year, I hope I am wrong but recent history tells me I will be right so for one of the very few times I predict Town to lose I see this going the way of Pompey by the scoreline of 1-2. Now just go and look at how dross my predictions have been so far this season and that will tell you all you need to know, THE BLUES ARE GOING THROUGH !!!!!!!! COYB'S

The Opposition – Portsmouth FC

The club was founded in 1898, with a blue plaque on the wall of 12 High Street Portsmouth commemorating its formation on 5 April. The club joined the Southern League in 1899. That first season was successful, with the club winning 20 out of 28 league matches, earning them the runner-up spot in the league. They suffered their first relegation in 1910–11 but the team was promoted again the following season.

League football was suspended during the First World War, but following the resumption of matches Portsmouth won the Southern League for the second time. Continuing success saw them in the Third Division for the 1920–21 season, going on to win the league in the 1923–24 season. The club continued to perform well in the Second Division, winning promotion by finishing second in the 1926–27 season.

Portsmouth's debut season in the First Division was a struggle. However, they reached the FA Cup final for the first time, losing to Bolton Wanderers. Portsmouth managed to survive relegation, and their fortunes began to change. The 1933–34 season saw Portsmouth again reach the FA Cup final, which they lost to Manchester City.

Having established themselves in the top flight, Portsmouth reached the 1939 FA Cup final, which they won against Wolves. League football was again suspended due to the Second World War, meaning Portsmouth hold the unusual distinction of holding the FA Cup for the longest uninterrupted period, as the trophy wasn't contested again until the 1945–46 season.

League football resumed for the 1946–47 campaign after five years and Portsmouth continued in the First Division. In their "Golden Jubilee" season of 1948–49, they claimed the league title for the first time. The club powered their way to the title the following year, on the last day of the season, and are thus one of only five English teams to have won back-to-back titles since the Second World War.

Subsequent seasons saw Portsmouth struggle and they were relegated to the Second Division in 1959. Portsmouth went down to the Third Division in 1961 (the first former English League champions to do so) but were promoted back to the Second Division at the first attempt. Despite limited financial means, Portsmouth retained Second Division status throughout the sixties.

The cash injection that accompanied the arrival of John Deacon as chairman in 1972 failed to improve Portsmouth's league position. With Deacon unable to continue bankrolling the club on the same scale, Portsmouth were relegated to the Third Division in 1976.

In November 1976, the club found itself needing to raise £25,000 to pay off debts and so avoid bankruptcy. With players having to be sold to ease the club's financial situation, and no money available for replacements, Portsmouth were consequently relegated to the Fourth Division in 1978.

Portsmouth were promoted back to Division Three in 1980, and in the 1982–83 season they won the Third Division championship, gaining promotion back to the Second Division. Under Alan Ball's management, Portsmouth narrowly missed out on winning promotion to the First Division twice before finally succeeding in 1986–87. Unfortunately, by the middle of the 1987–88 season the club was again in grave financial trouble, and Portsmouth were relegated straight back to the Second Division.

Portsmouth's centenary season, 1998–99, saw a serious financial crisis hit the club, and in December 1998 Portsmouth went into financial administration. Milan Mandarić saved the club with a takeover deal in May 1999, and the new chairman immediately started investing.

Harry Redknapp took over as manager in early 2002. Redknapp was able to make the most of Mandarić's willingness to invest in players at a time when competitors were struggling after the collapse of ITV Digital's television deal with the Football League. Just over a year later, Portsmouth were celebrating winning the Division One Championship and promotion to the Premier League, winning the title with a game to spare.

The club finished 13th, 16th and 17th in their first three Premier League seasons. Redknapp had resigned midway through the club's second Premier League season, after a disagreement with Mandarić, and went on to manage bitter rivals Southampton, only to return just over a year later. In January 2006, Portsmouth were bought by businessman Alexandre Gaydamak, whose funding allowed the club to buy practically a whole new squad mid-season. With large amounts of money available for the manager to make record signings, the club finished the 2006–07 season in the top half of the table for the first time, only one point short of European qualification.

The 2007–08 season saw Portsmouth finish eighth in the Premier League and reach the FA Cup final, which they won against Cardiff. The win earned them a place in the 2008–09 UEFA Cup, the club's first experience of European football.

On 25 October 2008, Redknapp left Portsmouth for a second time, with the club ultimately finishing the 2008–09 Premier League season in 14th place. On 26 May, Portsmouth accepted a bid from United Arab Emirates businessman Sulaiman Al Fahim to buy the club. However, due to financial problems and an ownership battle, the club was eventually purchased by Ali al-Faraj, who took over control. On 5 October, a deal was agreed for Al Faraj and his associates, via BVI-registered company Falcondrone, to hold a 90% majority holding, with Al-Fahim retaining a 10% stake and the title of non-executive chairman for two years. Falcondrone also agreed a deal with Gaydamak to buy, for £1, Miland Development (2004) Ltd, which owns various strategic pockets of land around the ground, once refinancing was complete. Two days after the Al-Faraj takeover was completed, Portsmouth's former Technical Director Avram Grant returned as Director of Football. However, because of the financial problems, the Premier League placed the club under a transfer embargo, meaning the club were not allowed to sign any players.

Avram Grant took over at Portsmouth on 26 November 2009, replacing former manager Paul Hart, who had been sacked by the board two days previously, due to the club's position at the bottom of the league.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) filed a winding-up petition against Portsmouth at the High Court in London on 23 December 2009. In March 2010, this winding-up petition was dropped, leaving Portsmouth with a nine-point penalty for entering administration. During the 2009–10 season, it had become apparent to the club's new owner Balram Chainrai that Portsmouth were approximately £135 million in debt so, to protect them from liquidation, Chainrai placed the club into administration on 26 February 2010. This automatically incurred a nine-point penalty from the FA Premier League, which came into effect on 17 March and consigned the team to almost certain relegation, which was mathematically confirmed on 10 April.

On 9 April, it was announced David Lampitt would be joining Portsmouth as their new CEO after he had worked a period of notice at the FA, his employer at the time. In May, Avram Grant resigned as Portsmouth manager. On 17 June, the club's creditors voted for a Company Voluntary Arrangement, with an 81.3% majority; Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC), Paul Hart and the agent of Portsmouth midfielder Tommy Smith were the only ones to reject it. On 17 August, Balram Chainrai completed his takeover of the club and passed the owners and directors’ fit and proper person test.

Former Notts County manager Steve Cotterill was appointed manager of the club in June 2010 on a three-year contract. Portsmouth finished the season with an eight-game winless run and ended up 16th with 58 points.

On 1 June 2011, Convers Sports Initiatives, owned by Russian Vladimir Antonov, completed its takeover of the club.

On 23 November 2011, a Europe-wide arrest warrant was issued for Portsmouth owner Antonov by Lithuanian prosecutors as part of an investigation into alleged asset stripping at Lithuanian bank Bankas Snoras, which is 68% owned by Antonov and had gone into temporary administration the previous week. On 29 November 2011, Antonov resigned as chairman of Portsmouth after parent company Convers Sports Initiatives entered administration. On 17 February, Portsmouth went into administration for the second time in two years, bringing them an automatic 10-point deduction. On 21 April, Portsmouth were relegated from the Championship, condemning them to League One – the first time in 30 years that the club had played at that level.

Following Pompey's relegation, the entire professional playing squad left the club.

On 9 November 2012, Chanrai halted his attempt to buy the club. Six days later, the Pompey Supporters’ Trust signed a conditional agreement with PFK to buy the club. Portsmouth were unable to find a manager on a long-term basis due to their financial state. The club went on a record winless run, playing their 20th game without a win in February 2013. The winless streak lasted a total of 23 matches, finally ending on 2 March 2013 as Portsmouth won away at Crewe Alexandra. On 10 April 2013, a deal with administrators was reached, although the Pompey Supporters' Trust had not yet finalised the purchase. Portsmouth were relegated to League Two at the end of the season.

On 19 April 2013, Portsmouth exited administration when the Pompey Supporters’ Trust’s deal to buy the club was completed.

On a historic announcement, on Monday 29 September 2014, the club was able to declare itself debt-free after paying back all creditors and all legacy payments to ex-players. The news came 18 months after the PST took control of the club.

Paul Cook led Portsmouth to an EFL League Two play-off spot in the 2015–16 season but lost to Plymouth Argyle in the semi-final.

In the 2016–17 EFL League Two season, Paul Cook's side secured promotion to League One and were crowned champions of League Two.

Paul Cook resigned on 31 May 2017 to join Wigan Athletic. Kenny Jackett was appointed the new manager on Friday 2 June 2017. In May the Pompey Supporters' Trust (PST) voted in favour of a proposed bid by The Tornante Company, headed by former Disney chief executive Michael Eisner, to take over the club which was completed on 3 August 2017.

On 15 March 2018, Portsmouth revealed a newly redesigned club crest, featuring a new nautical compass star and an "1898" date, added for the founding year of the football club. The new crest was introduced for the new 2018–19 season.

Portsmouth remained undefeated in the 2018–19 EFL League One campaign for eleven consecutive league matches and topped the League One table. On Sunday 31 March 2019, Portsmouth met Sunderland in the 2019 EFL Trophy Final and won the cup with by a penalty shootout.

Portsmouth's qualified for the League One play-offs which they lost to Sunderland at the semi-final stage at the conclusion of the 2018/19 season.

On Tuesday 9 June 2020, the football clubs of EFL League One (and EFL League Two) voted to end the season early on a points-per-game calculation, which resulted with Coventry City as League One champions and Rotherham United as League One runners-up. Portsmouth were awarded a fifth place finish to earn one of the four promotion play-off places for the EFL Championship, and were matched with Oxford United in a two-legged semi-final behind closed doors. After two legs a penalty shoot-out was needed to settle the 2-2 aggregate tie, which Oxford United won 5–4.

The Manager – Kenny Jackett

Match Referee – Andy Haines

IPSWICH TOWN 1 PORTSMOUTH 0

hallamblue

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:42 am

As much changed Town side ( likely full of youngsters with a few seniors) so I’m going for a draw ... but wouldn’t surprise me if we did our usual , and go out at first hurdle . Really not that fussed about anything other than league this season .

Promotion is what we want 👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:33 pm

Should have been a sub-poll at the top : Born before 1987, you won't have any idea what a Town run in this competition feels like or could possibly recall.

Voted for us to win it, Portsmouth have been a pain in the as* for this club in recent tournament history and usually win the trip here so reason for doubt. Just want to eliminate them for a change. Yes we're not going to win it, Yes some of us are getting to an age where you're running out of time in hope of ever seeing again Ipswich Town Football Club as winners of the FA Cup but without hope what is there. Would like Lambert to field a strong team and go for it but you kind of know how it's going to be.

Town 3 Portsmouth 1

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:40 pm

I agree with Hallam. Hoping for.a win, there'll be lots of changes, if we lose it won't upset me greatly. Would be nice for some youngsters to put in a good performance

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:43 pm

It seems from reports Portsmouth will be fielding a strong side because they are low on numbers. We will certainly be resting some. As for the score I have no idea. Fingers crossed for a win anyhow.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:13 pm

ITFC on penalties. But penalties that are actually required after extra time....... not penalties that referees imagine in their heads.
But suppose the possibility of 80(+) quid a game; that’s bound to make them delirious.

Ref caption:

“Hey now that’s not very nice, my name is Andy. The dickhead is in there.”

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:07 am

I can’t say I’m that bothered about the Cup, but I’d like us to put in a decent performance - especially against a League One rival. If we’re going to make changes then hopefully we’ve got healthy competition in the squad and it’s a chance for some to knock on the first team door. I’d like to see Bennetts and Dobra start.
This ‘we’ll concentrate on the league” mantra hasn’t worked for us in recent years. We’ve been terrible both in the Cups and the league, so we might as well make an effort to win this one. Pompey did a job on us in the league last season - so be good to get one over on them.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:40 am

I hope our other GK gets a game. I want to see what he’s like .

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Voted for the Ipswich win, and why not! Perhaps a chance for some fringe players to shine. Like others, i would particularly like to see Bennetts start. In particular I hope Bishop and Chambers are rested, as they have been key players so far in my eyes. Other than Huws' experience, i am struggling to see where that bit of know-how could come from in the central midfield positions. Striker-wise, i would continue with Jackson purely to get him nearer to full fitness. Hawkins could certainly relish facing his old side too, so maybe the last 30 minutes for him too

On the FA Cup in general; maybe it is the obvious fact that League promotion is key, but i would love a cup run for once. However, what are people's feelings on getting through to Round 3 (the nigh on impossible dream of ITFC winning 2 ties first, of course :roll: ) and getting drawn against a big team? For me, this is where the absence of crowds in January will be a real telling factor. The big tie, the possible giant killing, the possible replay at a big stadium (the lost chance of visiting a new venue, i.e Spurs' new ground), all rendered void from the actual spectator's point of view. That, i find pretty sad and depressing - not that the "away day" part makes any difference for me.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:08 pm

Plenty of changes for Town but Portsmouth unchanged, it will be difficult to progress I fear.😬

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:15 pm

That's still a strong team though, we can do this.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:16 pm

Norwood on the bench is a positive

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:20 pm

Nine changes :)

Ipswich Town: Cornell; Donacien, Nsiala, McGuinness, Kenlock; McGavin, Huws, Nolan; Bennetts, Sears; Hawkins

Subs: Holy, Wilson, Judge, Lankester, Edwards, Norwood, Jackson

Hmmm... Norwood on the bench.

No Dobra even in the 18.

Would have been a good chance to see how he’d get on against decent opposition.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:16 pm
Norwood on the bench is a positive

Yes he might get a few minutes this afternoon and on Tuesday hopefully.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:15 pm

Losing, great goalkeeping from Cornell, should be Holy in goal

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:17 pm

Oh dear oh dear

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:17 pm

0-2 oh dear

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:17 pm

0-2 absolutely comical, game over

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:17 pm

Crap defending wicked deflection, 2-0

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:18 pm

Even I could see that gap in the wall. Said before the kick that that is where I would put it. I havent seen a mistake like that from the wall/keeper in 20 years. 2 down now. Will do wonders for our confidence!!

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:18 pm

Lambert , 9 changes ffs. f*ck off

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:18 pm

Yes - Cornell is a bit of a liability. We are too slow, too timid and havnt started playing yet. Need Nolan and Huws to get a grip of midfield for me...

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:19 pm

What a load of utter dross by Town. BASIC defending.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:21 pm

patthegimp wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:18 pm
Even I could see that gap in the wall. Said before the kick that that is where I would put it. I havent seen a mistake like that from the wall/keeper in 20 years. 2 down now. Will do wonders for our confidence!!
They often leave a gap in the wall so the keeper can see the ball. Shame our GK didn’t move his bloody feet earlier though

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:26 pm

Lambert standing there looking absolutely friggin clueless 😡

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:27 pm

First time I have watched Town this season. Jesus either the teams in League 1 this season are absolute sh*te or we have played better than this. We are so slow in our build up it’s unbelievable.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:40 pm

Trying to look for something positive. Can't see anything. This is poor

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:44 pm

patthegimp wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:40 pm
Trying to look for something positive. Can't see anything. This is poor
Probably Bennetts?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:47 pm

Nolan 1-2

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:49 pm

y hallamblue » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:21 pm

patthegimp wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:18 pm
They often leave a gap in the wall so the keeper can see the ball. Shame our GK didn’t move his bloody feet earlier though

Yep but I dont think the keeper covered the gap.Could be wrong though