‘At times, I think I’d rather watch McCarthy’s football...'

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

‘At times, I think I’d rather watch McCarthy’s football...'

Post by number 9 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:14 pm

For those who missed this article in the EADT, a good honest read.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/mccarthy-p ... -1-6927740

number 9

Re: ‘At times, I think I’d rather watch McCarthy’s football...'

Post by number 9 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:20 pm

Player ratings for the season so far.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... -1-6929551

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:48 pm

I don't believe any self respecting genuine Town fan would rather watch Mccarthy football at all.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:33 am

With the players at McCathys disposal we should have played better football. His style was needed when he came in and it saved the club from relegation.

We play better football now but there is room for improvement as we over play from time to time.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:29 pm

That's the title of the article; I'd rather eat a broken glass sandwich than watch 'McCarthy's football'.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:55 pm

Not really sure how significant the MCCarthy reference is..... but he’s just referring that at times we look poor. Slow, ponderous and directionless. But then we suddenly can add some spark to our game and then we look a different team.

Not really sure what to expect how the season will go from here on. If we’re a work in progress then it might all come together- players like Downes, KVY and Norwood could strengthen us and we see improvement. Or it could be that this season goes the same as last year where we can beat poor sides, but fall short against the better sides.

The biggest criticism at the moment is this pointless passing around the back four - “possession for the sake of keeping possession”. I’m not sure if they are coaching this on the training field.... but when we do this we might just as well go route one without the hassle of twenty sideways and backwards passing first. Lambert seems to like it though.

Big games coming up with Hull and Charlton - win those and we get the monkey of the back. Lose those and it’s deja vu time.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:42 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:55 pm
Not really sure how significant the MCCarthy reference is..... but he’s just referring that at times we look poor.
Exactly, it's just a Sun Headline to draw you in. I enjoyed the article as it seems like honest words from the average fan. Also thought it may bring about some interest since the forum has slowed down a bit during the break.

The player ratings article is good info too if anyone's bored. I know Saint will probably enjoy that.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:47 pm

Id rather watch paint dry than endure any form of McCarthy style football again. What a bore he was.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:43 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:47 pm
Id rather watch paint dry than endure any form of McCarthy style football again. What a bore he was.
Even if we were still in the Championship? I know, bite my tongue right. Buuuuut....are we really that 'pleasing on the eye' now without Mick as we struggle against League One teams? Most of us wanted change at the end of the McCarthy years, myself included. Then we got what most of us wanted in Paul Hurst, a young, successful, up and coming manager. We all know how that went. Many of us wanted a complete rebuild...have we gotten that? Many of us said our 'Youngsters' should carry the torch...are they? Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy we've started the season so well. It's frustrating to see and read about us playing poorly, but if we get promoted I won't really care. Now, read that last SENTENCE again...doesn't that sound a bit like "I think I'd rather watch McCarthy's football" if we get promoted? :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:14 pm

This season hasn't all been great football. Unfortunately I think we started the season playing better football than in recent weeks and that's a worry.
But even having to watch it via stream than being there in person, I am enjoying this season mire than the last 2 or 3 under MM.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:37 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:14 pm
This season hasn't all been great football. Unfortunately I think we started the season playing better football than in recent weeks and that's a worry.
But even having to watch it via stream than being there in person, I am enjoying this season mire than the last 2 or 3 under MM.
Typo or Freudian slip? :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:23 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:37 pm
Andym wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:14 pm
Typo or Freudian slip? :lol:
😂😂😂