Does Karl Fuller have a very valid point?...

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Does Karl Fuller have a very valid point?...

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:43 pm

I know the Club's ambition (or perceived lack of it ?) have often been the subject of many forum debates, and reading KF's article today , I think I can see the point he is making. It does start to gripe that we appear to "roll over" so easily for competitions. But is the Club taking the fans for mugs or is it a response to currently just being in League One etc?

What are peoples thoughts …..?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/karl-fulle ... -1-6931451

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Does Karl Fuller have a very valid point?...

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:17 pm

Great article and I agree with all of it. People will say, "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" regarding players possibly getting injured in cup games......., but its a NON argument. Its an argument based on "what ifs" and then " told you so's" if it happens. Utter shyte. He is 100% correct. Ambition and the lack of it. For years.

The flip side is all other excuses are now used up. There is an added pressure in getting yourself dumped out of every comp. It is only the league now for a fairly impressive Ipswich Town squad in League One........, can't speak for everyone, but me personally, if Lambert doesn't finish top 2, then OUT.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:42 pm

When was the last time you could excited about any cup involvement here. 2011 and the semi-final run was it. It was the League Cup or whatever it was labeled as back then but to win a home tie against one of the heavyweights and (thereafter) one game away from a first Final appearance, it were something you couldn't help but get caught up in. Were part of the two games at the last four stage and discussion / participation here at least were quite frenzied as one would expect.

Club doesn't take involvement in action outside of the league seriously. The above were a one-off and then more. Succession of managers going back to Burley have all failed to negotiate / bother beyond the formative rounds. Tired of the 'you can concentrate on the league' crap, do you really think once again we're automatic promotion material. So what happens when or if the team loses in the play-off games or in fact never even reaches the position to finish in which to participate. Guess "There's always next year / we gave it a go" : or some variation.

Lambert and players have got little excuse now for failing a promotion challenge. There's got to be some atonement for a number of setbacks and disappointments the fans have had to endure. Finishing top two in a few months would be a satisfactory way back.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:10 pm

Far as I am concerned and i am not defending Paul Lambert but we are out of the FA cup arguably for not having much luck and bad decisions from the officials. Yes, yes first half we were rubbish but fact remains, should of had a definite penalty, There 3rd goal was way offside and a player of Portsmouth's in many peoples minds should of been sent off

Can argue we got what we deserved but that is nonsense because no matter how poorly or good you play, those three major decisions cost Ipswich badly.
Far as the Trophy goes, really, can't believe we are actually concerning ourselves over that egg cup which means nothing. I agree our cup competitions record is pitiful over many many years, not just these past two seasons of which lets be honest Ipswich are in League 1, 3rd tier of football and for me its it's far more important to get out of this embarrassing position than progressing in that EFL Trophy. When i said "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" was purely for that game against Crawley. Personally i feel we are better being out of that tin pot cup.

Far as ambition concerned. Well could argue had very little ambition since certain person taken over the club

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:50 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:10 pm
Far as I am concerned and i am not defending Paul Lambert but we are out of the FA cup arguably for not having much luck and bad decisions from the officials. Yes, yes first half we were rubbish but fact remains, should of had a definite penalty, There 3rd goal was way offside and a player of Portsmouth's in many peoples minds should of been sent off

Can argue we got what we deserved but that is nonsense because no matter how poorly or good you play, those three major decisions cost Ipswich badly.
Far as the Trophy goes, really, can't believe we are actually concerning ourselves over that egg cup which means nothing. I agree our cup competitions record is pitiful over many many years, not just these past two seasons of which lets be honest Ipswich are in League 1, 3rd tier of football and for me its it's far more important to get out of this embarrassing position than progressing in that EFL Trophy. When i said "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" was purely for that game against Crawley. Personally i feel we are better being out of that tin pot cup.

Far as ambition concerned. Well could argue had very little ambition since certain person taken over the club
I completely agree with all of this. I think Fuller's a bit naive in his criticism of lack of ambition...it's a bit late for those sentiments, don't you think? No matter who the manager is, our priority is to get promoted. And oh btw, if you think the future has greener pastures as far a financials are concerned you're deluded. We are what we are now...and more than ever in the club's history it's baby steps, baby steps toward some morsel of success...and that success will probably never be in the form of wining any cups again! Wake up people, let's get back to the Championship ffs!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:17 pm

What are you on about? Naive?

Fuller quote:

But then you have to question the clubs’ attitude to cup competitions at not giving ourselves the very best opportunity of fighting for every bit of prize money available. And it is made even worse when we are happy to break rules and accept fines.

For doing so against both Gillingham and Crawley, this cost us £10k in fines. I don’t know how many season tickets that would equate to, let’s say for arguments sake that it would be 25.

If this number of fans were to state that they’ve had enough and were cancelling their season tickets, they would be vilified by a section of supporters for giving up on the club. So is it ok for the club to give up on themselves when they see fit to, i.e. in cup competitions?

End Fuller quote:

I didn't know any of this "fine" business but have since done a spot of research. The guys post is spot on.

He's also spot on in the sense that winning breeds confidence and with all other comps gone, winning League One games is the ONLY thing Lambo has got. He'll receive plenty heat if he doesn't and f**king rightly so.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:10 pm

Word perfect.... well said !!!!!!!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:48 pm

Fact...

If were in the Championship would not even been playing for the tin pot stupid cup !!!

Before start of this season how many of us even thought about taken this loony idea of a competition seriously?

The season is hard enough as it with Covid etc. Really glad we are out of it and the money progressing in this competition is what? Seriously would the few bucks progressing really be worth having more injuries which could of come about because of it?

Lets get out of 3rd tier of English football ASAP please and let other teams we replace worry about this fantastic and glorious cup, i even forget what it's called

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:00 pm

Well that's arguably the largest "IF" today, S&J :lol:

The guys post is spot on. Regardless of the trophy, (and yes, 99.9% are less tthan interested) but to finish below the 21's of Arsenal, Gillingham and Crawley is fairly "off" to say the least. And the effort is brought into question. Really was a well written piece and thanks Hallam for sharing.

That is the essence of the guys post. Nothing else. Not "IF we were in the Championship" etc etc. The FACT is, with relegation comes the TIN POT shyte. Now that the tin pot shyte is gone, no more excuses Paul -----> get the club away from the tin-pot stuff. Over to you. Be GREAT! That is it in a nutshell.

And please......, no "divine righters" please! :lol:

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:23 pm

Yes Marko, just like you say "with relegation comes the TIN POT shyte" Doesn't mean it has to be a top priority though.

Let Gillingham win it. I can't think of a more deserving manager than the Gillingham manager to win it. They go in hand in hand, both waste of space :D

Seriously though, you are right, PL doesn't have any excuses other than referees :astroll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:58 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:23 pm
Yes Marko, just like you say "with relegation comes the TIN POT shyte" Doesn't mean it has to be a top priority though.
Priority didn't come into the article though. Fans "effort" marrying up with club "effort" is essentially the jist of it. Those players are being paid anyway. And they're being paid with fans money who make the effort to juggle finances. That was the point. That was all.

But......, no sleep lost by the majority over a Papa John........, unless its got those red jalapenos.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:21 pm

That article was spot on for me, he sums it up perfectly.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:15 am

If the fans don't give a sh*t about it why should PL or the club? Bit double standards

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:42 am

Last season we hardly made any impression in the Cups..... yet still bombed in the League. We all know where the priorities lie.... but get the impression from some that staying in this competition hinders our chances in the league. It doesn’t. You rest your best players, but put fringe players in who hardly get a game with some of the better youngsters from the 23’s. You don’t put out a 4th or 5th choice side full of kids that is designed to lose. You put out a weakened side, but at least give yourself a chance with players wanting to impress and ones needing the game time. If we’re so worried about injuries, then stop training as we’re just as likely to get an injury there. Hasn’t Lambert said that the absence of competitive games due to Covid means that players are at more risk of injury - well here was an opportunity.

Even with all the injuries, we’ve got plenty of players available. And we should be getting more back from injury in the next few weeks. It’s a crap Cup but when will the likes of Wilson, Donacien, Dobra, Kenlock, Huws, etc next get a game?

Don’t care about this Cup but still thought it was a p*ss-take. You shouldn’t try to lose any game. We seem to have this arrogant mentality that we’re too good for this Cup competition.... and this league.... yet we still came below Arsenal under 21’s, Gillingham and Crawley.... and 11th in the league last season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 am

The trouble with that Tang is that currently our fringe players are being required to be in the first team, I can just see it now if we had lost a couple more to injury we would have had another thread about how shocking and mysterious our injury record is and how the club are doing something wrong. Whatever anyone says they are damned if they do and damned if they don't, that for me is the biggest FACT of all. If we want to blame anyone for even being in this tin pot cup its as much down to Mccarthy, Hurst etc etc than it is Lambert, irrespective of what happens against Shrewsbury I believe it was wise to have this break for players to get fitter and recharge their batteries.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:13 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:15 am
If the fans don't give a sh*t about it why should PL or the club? Bit double standards
But fans do give a sh*t because they pay their dough. Maybe IN MIND, they don’t give a sh*t and each to their own.
Lambert (all managers) need to at least LOOK like they’re giving a sh*t.
Very well described with it being a p*ss take.

Managers will always be damned if they do and damned if they don’t, it’s the nature of it...... think you yourself Mike damned McCarthy for you making a 500 miles round trip to watch the U16s a few years ago. They’re getting off light with the no fans issue.
They’re heaped with praise when things go right. To be honest, since the day Paul Lambert walked through the door, nothing of ANY note has happened. The Doncaster 4-1 really was a “ok wtf is this bloke doing?” moment.

Massive game on Saturday. That’s a must win. He needs to get a great tactical masterclass put together. People predicting an edgy 1-0?? Fk that. Home deck (if that matters) and it’s 3rd bottom Shrewsbury. Predicted 2-0 but a real show of intent and a 4-0 would be just the tonic Great Lambo needs.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:36 am

Even before the season started what was the main posts? Injuries!!! It was more or less all we could read in this forum, injuries, injuries, injuries. Mind you, by the way in the Premier League injuries are up 16% compared to past seasons. That's for another topic though

Nevertheless, injuries was the main topic. How come Ipswich have more injuries etc. So again like Mike said and what I tried saying before, if we had even fringe players like who have been mentioned and they got injured in that game I would love to read the posts in here. That is what i meant by a line that Marko quoted me saying "Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" Which i stand by.

The FA Cup I thought we were unlucky in, yes decisions by the officials were just outrageously wrong. Another point i said is that this has been going on far longer than Paul Lambert been in charge, the losses in cup games is dreadful but been going on for years.

Right now Ipswich need Marcus Evans, no doubt about it, without him Ipswich would be in great danger but I have no love for the man. I have kept out of the ME posts for years because of the heat that they cause in here, but we can blame the managers as much as we want but I wish David Sheepshanks had Marcus Evens bank account with a damn good advisor beside him.

Enough Said from me

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:08 am

I’ve got to be honest with you Steve....... I think communication is breaking down in this thread for one simple reason......, I, and many others do not give a Shyte about what other fans opinions are. I certainly don’t lose sleep over whether Bluemike (or anyone else for that matter) thinks a section of fans are tw@ts.
For me as a predominantly Hibernian supporter, I respect my fellow Hibs fans opinions whether I think they’re crackpots or not.

ALL managers will be damned if they do and damned if they don’t by sections of support, it’s the way of it. And to be honest, the first time I heard the saying was way back in the 80s when Alex Miller was in charge at Easter Road, So please don’t think I’m having a pop at you. FTR, I don’t have pops at anyone on here except Hallam for not sending me that nude photo..... but that was on pm so no harm done! 👍👌

For me, the time is right NOW for Paul Lambert. Out the cups and a full “rested” team. No excuses, no referee references....... a couple dodgy ref decisions from now on shouldn’t matter when 2 or 3 nil up. Team are FRESH and had two weeks thinking about Shrewsbury. Big convincing win.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:03 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:36 am
Even before the season started what was the main posts? Injuries!!! It was more or less all we could read in this forum, injuries, injuries, injuries. Mind you, by the way in the Premier League injuries are up 16% compared to past seasons. That's for another topic though

Nevertheless, injuries was the main topic. How come Ipswich have more injuries etc. So again like Mike said and what I tried saying before, if we had even fringe players like who have been mentioned and they got injured in that game I would love to read the posts in here. That is what i meant by a line that Marko quoted me saying "Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" Which i stand by.

The FA Cup I thought we were unlucky in, yes decisions by the officials were just outrageously wrong. Another point i said is that this has been going on far longer than Paul Lambert been in charge, the losses in cup games is dreadful but been going on for years.

Right now Ipswich need Marcus Evans, no doubt about it, without him Ipswich would be in great danger but I have no love for the man. I have kept out of the ME posts for years because of the heat that they cause in here, but we can blame the managers as much as we want but I wish David Sheepshanks had Marcus Evens bank account with a damn good advisor beside him.

Enough Said from me
That didn’t take long. We thought all excuses were now gone ....BUT .... now Evans is now in the excuse mixer bag. Along with shitty fans.... and injuries.

Evans hasn’t done much wrong in League One. He’s backed Lambert to the hilt by financing a massive squad. He even gave Lambert a 5 year contract ( maybe that was a mistake). I don’t think Lambert or his fanbase can blame Marcus. Last year was a disaster.... and that’s down to the manager primarily and underperforming players.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:15 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:08 am
I’ve got to be honest with you Steve....... I think communication is breaking down in this thread for one simple reason......, I, and many others do not give a Shyte about what other fans opinions are. I certainly don’t lose sleep over whether Bluemike (or anyone else for that matter) thinks a section of fans are tw@ts.
For me as a predominantly Hibernian supporter, I respect my fellow Hibs fans opinions whether I think they’re crackpots or not.

ALL managers will be damned if they do and damned if they don’t by sections of support, it’s the way of it. And to be honest, the first time I heard the saying was way back in the 80s when Alex Miller was in charge at Easter Road, So please don’t think I’m having a pop at you. FTR, I don’t have pops at anyone on here except Hallam for not sending me that nude photo..... but that was on pm so no harm done! 👍👌

For me, the time is right NOW for Paul Lambert. Out the cups and a full “rested” team. No excuses, no referee references....... a couple dodgy ref decisions from now on shouldn’t matter when 2 or 3 nil up. Team are FRESH and had two weeks thinking about Shrewsbury. Big convincing win.

Opinions are opinions Marko and i certainly respect them from whoever. Whether i agree or not or whether fans agree with me doesn't matter, we all have right to express them. So i don't agree with you on communication, i fully understand you.

Big convincing win on Saturday will certainly place a big smile on peoples faces.

No Tang i didn't mention Evans to be a excuse for Lambert, i'm sure PL is big enough to find his own excuses if he needs any. Just mentioned Evens as far as ambition for this club. This certainly been interesting subject but maybe its time to just move on to next subject

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:27 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:08 am

:lol: :lol: I’ll consider it , but you’d need a strong stomach marko! Ha ha x

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:44 pm

The article is absolutely spot-on for me.

This one paragraph....
If this number of fans were to state that they’ve had enough and were cancelling their season tickets, they would be vilified by a section of supporters for giving up on the club. So is it ok for the club to give up on themselves when they see fit to, i.e. in cup competitions?
sums it all up as far as I'm concerned.

Professional pride can't be turned off and on like a tap.
Show no professional pride in cup games and the players then soon think that's acceptable in all games - that pretty much sums up how our season went downhill last season and why I believe this season will be no different.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Even with strong squads, we’ve been outplayed in cup games. A sense of pride can be achieved when/if we get promoted. Until that happens, it’ll be Groundhog Day. True
Professionalism went out the door years ago...in my opinion of course.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:05 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:44 pm

This one paragraph....

Show no professional pride in cup games and the players then soon think that's acceptable in all games - that pretty much sums up how our season went downhill last season and why I believe this season will be no different.
Cant say I disagree with that Gary.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:07 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:05 pm
rossi wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:44 pm

This one paragraph....

Cant say I disagree with that Gary.
But they can definitely show a major level of intent this Saturday so it’s not all doom & gloom ........ yet.

Ye of little faith......... NOPE, plenty faith. It’s happenin’ this Saturday. ✅✅✅

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:45 pm

you raise a good point Rossi, if fans are not happy they should stop spouting hot air and give up those season tickets, god knows if I'm pissed off with a restaurant I sure as f*ck don't keep going back, these fools do.

I spent a tenner on the Crawley game knowing exactly what I was gonna get for my money, it was even weaker than I expected but no point in bleating on about it, just don't get involved in it. I went to Crystal Palace a couple of seasons back and saw Gerken and 10 kids do us proud, yes we lost but it was a good evening out and nobody was upset with it, this bloody cup hasn't even played last seasons final yet, that's how unimportant the crap thing is.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:09 am

Changing the subject a bit...Is it Steve or Jo who posts messages? Sorry, I just have to get that Stevie Nicks white pant suit out of my head.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:05 pm

I wonder if Karl Fuller is the TB.com member, "Fully". He once posted a lot on this forum.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:20 pm

I think Karl Fuller is a local ( to Ipswich), fan, whereas Filly, I think , is based in the north of England... Yorkshire? ( it’s “ north” for us based in Suffolk lol :lol: ) !

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:54 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:20 pm
I think Karl Fuller is a local ( to Ipswich), fan, whereas Filly, I think , is based in the north of England... Yorkshire? ( it’s “ north” for us based in Suffolk lol :lol: ) !
Hallam
I know both of them. You are correct, fully lives in Yorkshire and Karl like me lives in Clacton, my daughter worked with him and I first met him when he used to come on the ITFC supporters club (Clacton Branch) coach to away games.