Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Should be 3 points?

Home Town Win
79%
Away Town Win
21%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 14

AzzurroMark

Re: Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:01 pm

Perhaps luck does even itself out afterall

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:01 pm

We're still crap

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:01 pm

Lovely by judge to set up lankester :lol: like i said earlier, maybe its our turn to win when undesreved. Ill take the 3 points

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:02 pm

GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAL

OMG , how much do we NOT deserve that !!

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Get the F In! Even if we don't deserve it. Makes up for the other games we should of won that had decisions go against us.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Luck lucky town for a change 👏👏

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:04 pm

Well God knows how we’ve won that . What a complete load of shyte we were .

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:05 pm

:D Cricky late goal 😎

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:05 pm

lucy wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:03 pm
Get the F In! Even if we don't deserve it. Makes up for the other games we should of won that had decisions go against us.
Donf think it's the first. Didn't we beat Crewe?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:00 pm
Woooooohoooooo never in doubt
Hmmm, are you sure Mike? :lol: :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:06 pm

f**king hell we've scored ? Lankester it says and we're going to win deep in added time surely not.

Up to second place it should be now. What a crucial strike that could be by end of season. So the team were largely ineffective and some players couldn't hit a horse's as* with a banjo but we've managed a victory. Game is concluded and it's a home win. How did we do it ? Never mind can catch up with game report and in-depth analysis at a later time.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:06 pm

We were due a bit of good luck :D

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:11 pm

My advice to Paul Lambert. DO NOT try to put a positive spin on this. It is 3 points yes, any positives end there! We did not deserve to beat a Shrewsbury team, who themselves have a very poor record.
Also, do not use the word "great", unless in the sentence 'aye, well that was a steaming 'great" turd of a performance from us'. Otherwise Marko will be coming for you! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 pm

Of course the 3 points are brilliant, but with that performance I'm not looking forward to Hull/Charlton. With injuries etc., surely Lambo needs to look at a more defensive line up for those matches? I'd be happy with two draws to be honest.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:31 pm

I'd forgotten Lankester was on the pitch until he scored the winner.

We didn't deserve to win but neither did we deserve to lose. Shrewsbury were very poor as so were we. Two very poor sides. In fairness we had far more chances.

Without Dozzell deep and Bishop forward we lack any creativity. While it's true I'd be happy if Judge and Huws never played for us again, it's actually hard to pick out many players who did well today. Nsiala was the best of the back 4, McGavin the best of the midfield and Jackson the best of the front 3. But in each case they were best not because they were good, but because the others were so ineffective.

Set pieces were dreadful. I just do not understand why you can't find a player who can take a corner or free kick.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:50 pm

Blimey ive just realised Town have actually won a game immediately after an International break. That’s a first 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:56 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:31 pm
I'd forgotten Lankester was on the pitch until he scored the winner.

We didn't deserve to win but neither did we deserve to lose. Shrewsbury were very poor as so were we. Two very poor sides. In fairness we had far more chances.

Without Dozzell deep and Bishop forward we lack any creativity. While it's true I'd be happy if Judge and Huws never played for us again, it's actually hard to pick out many players who did well today. Nsiala was the best of the back 4, McGavin the best of the midfield and Jackson the best of the front 3. But in each case they were best not because they were good, but because the others were so ineffective.

Set pieces were dreadful. I just do not understand why you can't find a player who can take a corner or free kick.
I’d agree with almost all of that Andy. My thoughts are Bishop was by far our best player today until the umpteenth crunching tackle finished him off. Judge IMHO can sod off, whilst Huws was marginally better than him, but I also saw glimpses of forward playing from Hyws that isn’t in Judges game .

One up front with two wide men to support doesn’t seem to do it does it. But I doubt Lambert will utilise the strikers we have in a strike partnership. I’d love to see Hawkins: Jackson or Norwood: Jackson as paired options in some games .

I think we tried stubbles to move the ball quicker today but kept giving possession away cheaply.

McGavin can feel proud if his efforts today . I liked what I saw of him, even if at times his young years led to the odd poor ball or decision . Overall he’s doing very well I think .

There, I’ve finished on a positive !

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:19 pm

I really begin to wonder if people really understand professional sport especially team sports. In league fixtures no team has any given right to win. Play well or not it’s always fine lines. People moan we don’t beat the top teams, we are third.... if we apply this theory then the other top teams are losing to the crap.

Some fans of which some have never played or managed in football need to realise no team has a divine right to win and each is a battle in its self. People do have a right to their own opinion.

We conceded because we were too open at the start, trying to play on the front foot that’s what we what right? clear pen no arguments. We kept believing in the system (correct system ? Different debate) and we got our goals. Did we batter them? No, did we win yes.

For me it’s still that balance between going forward and keeping possession is what frustrates me most.

The dilemma for PL is Norward and Jackson are our two biggest threats (excluding Edwards) but how do they both really fit into 433 apart from Jackson playing RW.
Last edited by Ando on Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:39 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:19 pm
I really begin to wonder if people really understand professional sport especially team sports. In league fixtures no team has any given right to win. Play well or not it’s always fine lines. People moan we don’t beat the top teams, we are third.... if we apply this theory then the other top teams are losing to the crap.

Some fans of which some have never played or managed in football need to realise no team has a divine right to win and each is a battle in its self.

We conceded because we were too open at the start, trying to play on the front foot that’s what we what right? clear pen no agreements. We kept believing in the system (correct system ? Different debate) and we got our goals. Did we batter them? No, did we win yes.

For me it’s still that balance between going forward and keeping possession is what frustrates me most.

The dilemma for PL is Norward and Jackson are our two biggest threats (excluding Edwards) but how do they both really fit into 433 apart from Jackson playing RW.
To me it isn't about winning or losing. Of course I want to win. I'm delighted. I leapt up in the air when the winner went in. But I would say at least half the team had poor games today. The quality of football was really poor. I honestly nearly fell asleep at one point, it was so boring.

I suppose part of being an old man is that I was brought up on football before such things as playoffs. That meant that for the second half of most seasons, results didn't matter - you were too far away from either end to finish in the top or bottom 2. So you hoped to have a game that was enjoyable to watch. Today wasn't. Passing, control, vision, all very poor. I don't think we have a divine right to beat anyone. I remember taking a bit of stick a year or so ago for saying we are not a big team. We were once maybe, but not now. We are an average league 1 team with a history. I'm not expecting miracles. I'm not expecting us to batter any opposition. I'm expecting us to find someone - anyone - who can take a corner. I'm expecting us to have a couple of players making runs off the ball so we CAN pass forwards. I'm expecting one or two players to have the vision to see those runs should they actually happen. Win or not, the quality of football today was terrible. We could have won more comfortably with a couple of half decent chanced that weren't taken, but it was still poor- even for league 1.

I agree about the striker dilemma. Jackson in particular doesn't really suit the lone striker role. I suppose it's a case of do you play a system to suit your squad, or try to fit your squad into your preferred formation? In reality it's probably being flexible enough to change during a game.

I also agree about the possession / going forward issue. I'd far rather keep possession than lose it with a long aimless or overambitious long ball. Nothing wrong with long accurate passes of course. But yes, it's getting the balance, deciding when to go forward with speed and accuracy. Which brings me back to players moving into pace, players with vision to spot them,....

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:32 am

Have seen highlights twice now. Don't think it were a penalty for them, any contact seemed minimal but being harshly done by referees is nothing new. Had Lankester not been in the position he were right at the end there would have been no goal and where did all the additional time come from after the regular ninety minutes.

People say we were fortunate to win, all very well but stats say we were well ahead in terms of possession and opportunities so all told it seems a fair result. Harsh for the opposition to lose when they did and if correct they've never won here in a League contest but it's 6 wins out of 6 for home games now and we've never even played that particularly well throughout it. With players returning from injury and enough focus and commitment think we've got a real chance of making it back next summer. As before there are no other distractions outstanding.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:27 am

Anyone else notice Lambert is getting a bit defensive in his pressers?

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:29 am

Yes, he always seems to let questions asked in a negative way get to him. He is over defensive of the team sometimes and has a chip on his shoulder regarding the press.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:54 am

Having read back over everyone's (myself included) comments after the game as to how we got a bit of luck and maybe it does even out blah blah blah, I have to question where we got a slice of luck? Quite simply we didn't, yes we were fortunate to win when nowhere near our best but there was no harsh Red cards against Shrewsbury, no big decisions went our way, no penalties awarded to us etc so I guess it could only be the own goal but hardly a massive slice of good fortune, we won when playing poorly so let's take it, as Ando rightly points out maybe at times we all get things wrong in the heat of battle.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:54 am
Having read back over everyone's (myself included) comments after the game as to how we got a bit of luck and maybe it does even out blah blah blah, I have to question where we got a slice of luck? Quite simply we didn't, yes we were fortunate to win when nowhere near our best but there was no harsh Red cards against Shrewsbury, no big decisions went our way, no penalties awarded to us etc so I guess it could only be the own goal but hardly a massive slice of good fortune, we won when playing poorly so let's take it, as Ando rightly points out maybe at times we all get things wrong in the heat of battle.
I have to agree. There is a difference between being lucky to win and being bloody awful. Two very poor teams who created very little, the number of times possession went from one team to the other and then back again as neither side could pass was incredible. A draw would probably have been a fair result. We could, possibly should have scored a couple of goals form good chances, they might have been given another penalty or even two. Our goals were fortunate in that the own goal was one of the strangest I have seen for a long time and the keeper presented us with the second by making hard work of a straightforward shot that was virtually straight at him. But it can be argued that it was their poor play, so in that sense we deserved it.

Games like the Crewe match I would argue we were lucky to win. Yesterday we weren't particularly lucky. Just a terrible match by two awful teams on the day.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:56 pm

Ditto.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:33 pm

And yet their manager says we were lucky to win !!!

His words

“We had stonewall penalties dismissed and we were only awarded one. 98% of the game was very good but the goals we gave away were very, very poor. You can’t give goals away like that, they were poor. I’d also like to see their winning goal to check for offside because I think it was.

“I don’t think an away team has scored a goal here in the league. We got that goal and should have scored more. We had some very good opportunities to score and I think Ipswich were very lucky to win the game today."

Did anybody else think they should of had two more pens? He also totally forgets to mention how Judge somehow hits the post from less than a meter out, using his wrong foot in my opinion

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:37 pm

i made a comment during the game that the Shrews players seemed to be taking dives in the are looking for penalties after being given one early on.

I think they thought they'd done enough to get a point and apart from the 700th injury time min attempt on our goal by them , I don't think they created any other clear chances in open play from memory. But then we missed a couple of sitters I think (Judge, Sears)... like people have said , it was a poor game between two poor teams on the day. With our ability to get points out of poor displays , that surely is a recipe for promotion.....and Shrewsbury' s a recipe for relegation ?

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Just shows though how managers react after games.

I don't think Shrewsbury deserved to win at all. Yet Ipswich were as people quite rightly say very poor. Yet we could of won by more quite easily. I just don't see those penalties the Shrewsbury manager was on about but i do see glaring misses from Ipswich

Ooh well two very hard games coming up, this time next week will tell us a lot

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:43 pm

Funny how the gobshite missed our clear cut penalty when Toto was blatantly pushed in the back when about to head the ball right in front of goal, muppet.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:38 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:01 pm
Perhaps luck does even itself out afterall
As one of those who posted about luck (as above), on reflection i agree with Mike's comments, luck of the kind which comes when poor decisions are made by officials, was certainly not in evidence. For myself, our equalising goal, was rather bizarre and fortuitous, leading me to make that comment more in the heat of emotion i guess. Yes, i accept it was not a case of "luck evening itself out", only possibly in the context had a fluke goal been scored against us in a previous match. As others have said, we were lucky/fortunate enough to win, even though that win didn't come as a result of poor decisions,, unless, as the Shrewsbury manager suggests "our goal looked offside" .