Maradona

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Maradona

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:52 pm

Maradona has died two weeks after leaving hospital from a Heart attack RIP.

BLUEBLOOD

Re: Maradona

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:13 pm

R.I P. The hand of god goal. If only VAR was around they still would have given it.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:26 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:13 pm
R.I P. The hand of god goal. If only VAR was around they still would have given it.
In the same match, his true brilliance was shown in its full glory with that other goal! Just now seen it again on tv and IMO that was probably one of the all-time greatest goals scored by anyone, ever. rip Maradona.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Can’t say I am going to shed a tear!

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:53 pm

Great player horrid person

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:52 pm

I’ve never forgiven him for that infamous handball goal but I would never wish him any harm. He was a great talent and a football legend and that alone is what he should be remembered for.
RIP Diego Maradona.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:52 pm
I’ve never forgiven him for that infamous handball goal but I would never wish him any harm. He was a great talent and a football legend and that alone is what he should be remembered for.
RIP Diego Maradona.
Great post.

RIP Diego Maradona

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:12 am

As soon as you see the topic on the main board you get a sense something is wrong. You hope for something else when looking in but your worst fears are confirmed. Sorry to learn of this, will realize many can't abide the name and what occurred back then but his talent and genius was indisputable.

Was fortunate to see him play live on more than one occasion, there's a certain privilege in seeing arguably the World's best player in real action but this untimely demise can only have been brought on by the excess of drug abuse and a whole host of other issues. At least he won the World Cup, a fitting tribute and was part of Naples best time of their history. How much would a player like that be worth today, you can't put a price on it.

By some quirk of fate believe today is the anniversary of George Best's passing also. Not into any superstition crap, but it does make you think. Rest in Peace Diego you were a class act when it really mattered.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:39 am

bluejacko wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:51 pm
Same

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:59 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:39 am
bluejacko wrote:
Same
To be honest guys if you can’t or don’t wish to pay your respects on a former players death announcement thread it maybe best to simply not comment.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:14 am

A brilliant pic of one great player chasing down another !

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:17 am

Great player. But like many others, the quick rise from relative poverty to riches and fame was something he couldn't really handle. Probably not a nice bloke but I guess that's what drug addiction does for you.
Such a talented player, I'm sure many of us still fume about the handball but there have been many hundreds of similar incidents in the game over the yrars - just not against England or in such a big match. It's no worse in my book than diving in the penalty area, and we have that in just about every match we watch. Doesn't make it right but I think after all these years I prefer focus on his talent.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:12 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:59 am
Bluemike wrote:
bluejacko wrote:
Same
To be honest guys if you can’t or don’t wish to pay your respects on a former players death announcement thread it maybe best to simply not comment.
To be honest Andy I probably should have refrained from posting, of course I send my condolences to his loved ones, the passing of anyone isn't nice, it just becomes hard to feel overly sad when said person isn't shall we say the most desirable individual. None the less, RIP to an incredible talent.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:57 pm

It were one incident near 35 years back, haven't some moved on from past events. The second goal that game is usually labeled #1 in World Cup history but there were a Saudi player at USA 94 that scored one even more sublime. As a virtual unknown / name of near irrelevance it just doesn't get the adulation it deserves.

Peter Shilton put up a rather derogatory message on social media regards the Maradona demise but seems it's been taken off now. Butcher couldn't stand him either but I haven't seen any response from him. Lineker became good friends with Maradona over time and visited the latter's homes in South America so it wasn't all one-way traffic.

Years back when Diego was yet to rise to prominence some English team were on the verge of signing him, may have been Birmingham or Sheffield United but they declined the invitation. Suppose hindsight is something but don't think starting out in England at such a young age would have worked for him. Say again went from status equivalent of biblical proportions in Italy to one of loathing in a relatively short time. Would have realized in 1990 it was a last chance to be a World Champion. The final were a shambles he deserved better, then again the team had simply underachieved on route that year. Finished out with Seville and a return to Boca Juniors although was never the same figure as before both in a health and cerebral capacity.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:08 pm

saint jude wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:57 pm
It were one incident near 35 years back, haven't some moved on from past events.
I don't think people's judgement on his personality is solely down to that at all, I think that's very unfair.

As has been said, all death is tragic and painful for those it affects, but it is no more or less tragic just because the deceased was good at sport, or acting, or whatever else people hold in high esteem these days.

I think in Maradona's case it's perfectly fine to separate his footballing ability from his character. Even Lineker's eulogy (that I've seen) was all about his unbelievable ability as a footballer and not about positives of his personality. As a human he was flawed, I don't think that's shocking or controversial to state. As a player I think he stands above all others, one and two with Messi as the best footballers of all time. I would far be sadder to see a great person who was crap footballer pass than I would someone the other way around, that's for sure.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:12 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:59 am
Bluemike wrote:

Same
To be honest Andy I probably should have refrained from posting, of course I send my condolences to his loved ones, the passing of anyone isn't nice, it just becomes hard to feel overly sad when said person isn't shall we say the most desirable individual. None the less, RIP to an incredible talent.
👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:50 pm

Had to travel back to near Jurassic Period to find a relevant item but found news today that Diego's 1986 "Hand of God" jersey from the England game is going to be up for auction in the days ahead. The Price ? Only a mere estimated £ 4,000,000 to whoever inclines to purchase it.

Four Million Pounds for a damn team shirt from one afternoon. Fair enough you take into account the magnitude of the player, the time involved (when at his pinnacle) and the game itself has reached legendary status, but asking for that amount of money for some (sucker) to take it away. It's beyond comprehension really.

Wonder if the South American were still alive today or none of that fisting into a goal / wonder run from way out and past defenders, would have never occurred, what price then would it fetch.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.4846132

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:17 pm

How much is the metal conical bra going for? I’ll buy that.

Oh, sorry, no. Different person.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:18 am

marko69 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:17 pm

:lol: think it was 3s-6d Marco, but Hallam got it for half a crown , :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:19 am

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:18 am
marko69 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:36 am

saint jude wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:50 pm
Had to travel back to near Jurassic Period to find a relevant item but found news today that Diego's 1986 "Hand of God" jersey from the England game is going to be up for auction in the days ahead. The Price ? Only a mere estimated £ 4,000,000 to whoever inclines to purchase it.

Four Million Pounds for a damn team shirt from one afternoon. Fair enough you take into account the magnitude of the player, the time involved (when at his pinnacle) and the game itself has reached legendary status, but asking for that amount of money for some (sucker) to take it away. It's beyond comprehension really.

Wonder if the South American were still alive today or none of that fisting into a goal / wonder run from way out and past defenders, would have never occurred, what price then would it fetch.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.4846132

A fool and his money are soon parted..............!!!!!! 😂 (although I'd pay a tenner so I could burn it!!)

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:11 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:26 pm
BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:13 pm
In the same match, his true brilliance was shown in its full glory with that other goal! Just now seen it again on tv and IMO that was probably one of the all-time greatest goals scored by anyone, ever. rip Maradona.
Not sure if that other goal was brilliant or just p*ss poor defending! Anyway (as has already been said) not a great character, but certainly a great footballer. RIP.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
bluejacko wrote:
Same
At least he didn’t cheat life . Harsh maybe but true …. Poor lifestyle was his eventual downfall.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:36 pm

Poor lifestyle ? If that's the case then how the f*ck is Shane McGowan still alive.

Last word, he had his problems. A multitude of issues that don't really require (further) elaboration. People of a certain age and awareness will testify to all and any hits and misses but bottom line, if you got any doubt as to the ability and hype of one sporting individual you could do worse than check out the film release some five years back that showcased a life on and off the field, simply called Diego. Although nearly entirely in Italian and Spanish, it's an epic viewing.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:33 am

….and then compare that to Ronaldo’s rise from the Portuguese slums . He’s a model professional and looks after himself . If ever kids need to look to a true role model it’s him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:34 am

Shane McGowan!!! 🤣🤣🤣 LMFAO

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:00 pm

On the other site a week or two ago I saw a video it was John Walk and Terry Butcher, Walk started talking about Maradona, Butcher said he's been trying to forget him for 40 years and never saw Maradona only the number 10 on the back of his shirt but was very said when he passed away Butch said to his wife better get two bottles of Champagne out of the fridge.😂

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:37 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:33 am
….and then compare that to Ronaldo’s rise from the Portuguese slums . He’s a model professional and looks after himself . If ever kids need to look to a true role model it’s him.
Pretty sure "The News" could drag something up about him. There will be something newsworthy. Whether it'd be believable or not is another story. Like everything nowadays. No one knows.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:24 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:18 am
marko69 wrote:

First mistake….you’re assuming I’m wearing one! :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:25 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:37 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:33 am
Pretty sure "The News" could drag something up about him. There will be something newsworthy. Whether it'd be believable or not is another story. Like everything nowadays. No one knows.
I think he’s pretty squeaky clean marko….rare I know… but it’s possible. I haven’t met you yet :lol: